RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

imageimageimage - fantastic AA.  Tied up and couldn't track you, but got your result later.  Good boost for the rest of us!

• AA - Very very well done.  "have n't run for 10 days" you are my inspirationimage

Nell - Will be on blue start pen 2 if same as last time.  Very consistent running from you.

kfc -  welcome back and well done on the PBs.  Good target for VLM.

Minni - My thinking for tri is swimming is n't great but will get better just go and smash the bike and run. Congrats on the anniversary.

2old - very decent last longish run.  Hope your glute is responding to the abuse.

Chick - Good to see you're getting the long runs done, are you back to your standard 80 mile weeks yet.image

o4s -  Not sure of the injury rivalries can't see me and 2old arguing over "who has the sorest arse"image

Freemers - well done on the half.  Looking good for Sunday.

I have been hammering right glute with spiky ball and it was feeling better.  Hour with the physio yesterday who ruled out any joint problems thinks its piriformus.  Gave whole area a good working over, which I think is why it is more painful today.  He recommended no more heavy rolling just gentle stretching and to try and run today but not going to risk it due to pain.  Currently think I'm 50/50 but trying to be positive.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi AA, Excellent running, a very well balanced run there. Your well balanced splits are very inspiring indeed. No run in ten days, wow! Really pleased for youimage

Hi 2old, Uni in Birmingham eh? What part did you stay in? Yes, supporting Birmingham didn't go down well in my family (all Villa fans apart from my brother) but we stayed on the south side of the city so seemed the obvious choice, and I have suffered ever since! Maybe someone wants a go on the tennis ball?

Hi o4s, You still on for Sunday then? Ear ok?

Hi Barry, Have you tried the cold bath also, a couple wouldn't go a miss with some light stretching....nothing to lose?

Out this morning, nice and sunny. 1.5 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down with 2 x 2miles MP with 800M recovery in the middle. splits: 6:36,6:30 & 6:42,6:38. Bit fast, but then I suppose I wasn't doing 10! Top of my right calf is pulling ever so slightly. Mentioned it yesterday on massage and was told to ice and cut the run down if necessary and don't stretch it too hard. She called it Taperitus, hoping it is something of nothing... I am flying down late Saturday morning and land at Gatwick at 12:30, so will head over to the Expo from there...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-my glute is still cause for concern.It was ok for the first 10 of thatSunday run but tightened up in the last 2 and that was not even half a marathon distance. Had a massage today and it was suggested that the piriformis was the problem too.Im  taking it easy from now on and will do just enough to keep ticking over.Keep thinking postively I know how tough it is to pul out at this stage.Yep ,no argument from me as to whose suffering most.

Nell-The ball is mine! I lived in halls at Edgbaston and then Mosely/Balsall Heath. Great places particularly the latter-quality rugby union team, cricket,we had baltis before they were called that and UB40 played in the local pub.Hopefully the twinge is just taper madness. I plan to be back resting by the time you get to the expo.Might try an ice bath myself tonight.

O4S-think some of us need a boost

So bored-missing my hour long run/swim sessions..roll on next week

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Oh god my glute was also hurting on my run this morning - this is more catching than that cold Chick had a while back!  Will be foam rolling tonight...I am sure it is taper madness though.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Speaking of taper madness....what about a map tapir?

/members/images/152897/Gallery/images_0.jpg

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Nell: ear still an alarming colour and with scabs which ooze blood at inconvenient moments, but I'll be there to annoy you all [and also to make you all look better as you will have someone to beat image

Barry:  I'll keep everything crossed for you - I remember how 2 years ago we both had a bit of a nightmarish London image

I'm sure my glute is also hurting, but everything else is worse so I can't feel it [see you and raise you........image

Sports massage today...............................

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Bring waterproofs on Sunday!!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

BBC weather has a potential thunderstorm predicted!

Actually I quite like the look of the weather - showers but then clearing, relatively light winds and about 14 degrees.  It's more the hanging around at the start getting cold that's an issue for me - need to dig out some old clothes I can chuck away.  And remember a bin bag.

Do we need a list of numbers if anyone wants to track?

Freemers - 26917

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Free-got my bin bag packed. Hope it's not as warm as for my run last night

O4S/Free- feel left out of the glute pain club do you?

O4S- I always feel terrible running after a sports massage. Guess it's probably best not to ?

5.5 miles last night av 7.30mm. Faster than my plan requires but can never hold back at this stage . Now right knee and lower back sore in addition to the glute!

Freemers- 26917

2Old. -26261
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, Moseley is quite a Bohemian area now. I think a lot of those old students have just remained. I spent a bit of time as a child in Edgbaston cricket ground, when they used to let you on the pitch for a knock around during the breaks in play. Sounds as though your taper madness is in full tilt?

Hi o4s, The ear doesn't sound good at all, but I am not surprised it has not deterred you image

Hi Freemers, We are talking the BBC Weather here....image

6 miles this morning, easy to moderate prescribed and lovely morning, run felt good and came in at 7:24mm average. I put on a pair of Hilly socks that I had decided not to wear on Sunday and they felt great, how annoying!

Freemers- 26917

2Old. -26261

Nell Blue - 27121

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭
    On my way to Expo

No 28959
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-just seen a video of Paula opening the Expo.Was that you ducking under the tape?image

Nell-perfect final prep.running. Yes,Mosely was pretty boho when I was there so maybe they are the people who never left...might go back and see if I recognise any...maybe not after 35 years.I dont think we ever got away from the beer tent when we were at the cricket.

I have a dilemma-should I wear my new trainers which have done 23 miles(and seem fine) or my old ones which have done 312(feel less cushioned than the other pair)?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Are the new ones the same make and model? Then I'd wear those. If it's a new release I'd take the old ones.

Exciting that everyone is getting ready for VLM image

We are off to Hungary tonight. I will probably only have WiFi again in Budapest in a week's time, so I'll miss all the VLM fun.

Hope all goes well. Just remember: don't be shitimage
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Have a good holiday Chick : D

Expo D&D. Record time - picked up pace bands (3.15 and - yikes- 3.10) and goody bag (better than last year). And as is traditional I left a message for Team Minni on the #boostlondon wall - look out for orange writing under the "o" of london image

All done in under 5 mins!
  • old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

I didn't even see the wall, so no message from me I'm afraid. Was it behind where people were queuing to have their photo taken with a timing clock? If so the place was heaving so i moved on swiftly.

My pace bands were rather more conservative, although I pick them up every year and have never worn one so I don't suppose it matters very much. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- have a great holiday ...you'll be missed on Sunday .

Free-that was quick. Can't wait until I get there on Saturday .

I've printed a 3.13 band off ....and also one for 3.19.30 (GFA for me ) All options covered unless it all goes pear shaped. 

7.5k done today with 2 at about 10 secs above MP.Hope it's not so hot on Sunday. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- trouble with pace bands is that the print is so small I cant read them wihen I wear contact lenses so I don't know why I bother with them and that explains why my pace is all over the place. 

• Evening all - glad you're all packing and looking forward to the weekend. I'm bunking off the expo this year. Home @9:30 last night. Been busy with sports massages for runners today and tomorrow and can't afford to spend the day hiking up to London and back. 

Still struggling with the stairs image but having a sports massage tomorrow which is gonna kill me image. This week is going too quick!

bazza / 2old - how are the glutes? Relaxing a bit now? 

O4S - how you're feeling a bit stronger now. I agree with chick about your trainers. 

Please don't mention rain again after Monday. The conditions were so bad I'm feeling cold thinking about the start on Sunday! Had my results through: overall:8785/26610 gender:1782/12022 division (40-44) 187/1985 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

5 miles this morning with 3 @ MP.  Pace felt great but glute still quite achy - annoying but don't think it will hamper me.  I'll take some paracetamol on Sunday to try and numb it.  To be safe I'm going to knock any more running on the head until Sunday and keep up with the stretching.

AA - I think the temperature in London should be OK though, and wind doesn't look too strong so I don't think you should worry!  Great you can even get on the start line after Boston only 6 days earlier.  See you at the start image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA/Free-my glute seems to have got worse  -tingling down the leg too and have made the same decison as you Free-no more running until Sunday.Maybe its sciatica ? I've also hit the ibuprofen so am risking a few loo stops on Sunday.

Barry-how is your glute?

AA-are you going to the green start? We are expecting another metronome paced race from you. Enjoy?? the massage.

Weather looks perfect for Sunday.Should we be carb loading today?

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Personally I would like 5 degrees cooler on Sunday - which is more or less what is predicted for Monday image  Do you think it would count if I did the race a day later?

AA: what pace do you have in mind?

20k in a spin class last night and just heading off for some proper road cycling today. Will try to avoid too many hills and do 50 miles max - good leg loosener

Look after those glutes!!!!!

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Chick, Enjoy the holiday..

Hi AA, Hoping you are feeling ok? 

Hi Freemers, Nice run this morning. Another glute sufferer? I hope it passes..

Hi 2old, Blimey, that does sound very much like sciatica...hope not! Fingers crossed you get things sorted for Sunday.

Hi o4s, Taking it easy before Sunday (or Monday) then?

4 miles this morning at 7:26mm average, another lovely morning. Then some S&C, mainly resistantance bands... At the moment I am the only one not complaining that the weather is going to break come the weekend!

• My hip/glute is better but nowhere near 100%,  intermitent. Always worse after I've been sat down.  Well I've consulted doctor google and diagnosis is piriformus irritating sciatic nerve.  Doing lots of stretches and using anti inflammatory gel.  Tried a short run this afternoon in race kit and not pain free so plan is to run again Saturday then make a decision.  Hope everyone else with niggles are feeling better,

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-from that description it looks like we are both in the same boat...not good. Pretty frustrated I bet,I am. I'm just going to avoid sitting much and give it a go on Sunday. Fingers crossed it fixes for you .

Nell- at least you're not complaining 

O4S- when are you going to train for London. Cycling and spinning is avoidance behaviour.image

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

2Old:  the last time I trained seriously for London I managed a substantial PW, so I won't be making that mistake again.  Having decided to make the 100 miler [4 weeks away] my main target I am doing London for fun with no time in mind - in fact I'm only doing it at all to meet up with your lot!!  48.5 miles on the bike in the sun - lunch and tea stops included image

Green Team:  any thoughts on where we should try to meet up on Sunday [apart from under an umbrella??]

Barry:  fingers crossed for you

• Nell - you are looking and sounding strong image

2old - noooooo. Definitely sounds like piriformis syndrome. I've treated so many people with it. Really gentle stretches  Tennis ball up until Saturday . 

Bazza - rest now and you should be ok. 

Freemers - enjoy a few days off. 

O4S - looking forward to seeing you  

i feel like I've put in so much weight in the last few weeks. Can't believe it's time to carb load again. Bloated!!!

green team - what time is everyone gettin there? I will be super early no doubt. Have we all got enough mobile numbers? Think I have everyone's except 2olds. We normally hang out around the celeb entrance just for fun?!!

had my massage today. I can now walk downstairs...whoop! Gonna try a 3 miler tomorrow and see if I can still runimage

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S/AA - my contact no is on it's way.

O4S- meeting all is my main reason too ..just hope I will be able to get into the right mindset in time for the start image 

AA- still can't believe you're doing another one so soon.Id better  pack the tennis ball for the train journey 

I like the idea of meeting near and mixing with the celebs but they look a disappointing lot this year...mainly Made in Chelsea and ex footballers(an Everton one too!) imageOne high point though is one of my heroes Welsh rugby star Shane Williams .

• Hi gang, been a bit AWOL the last few weeks but looks like there's been some great running going on!

AA you did fantastic on Monday, I was so happy for you! Weather sounds like it was grim. Hope you've warmed up now! Looks like another wet one on Sunday although thankfully less windy. What is your plan? How are the legs?

Hope your glute is feeling ok by Sunday Freemers. You're in top form for Sunday, that PB is getting smashed! Will look out for the message and remember a pen for tomorrow.

2Old I'd go for the 23M trainers. Carbs begin tomorrow!

Must be a Team Minni thing as my piriformis/glute is playing up. Heading down to London in the morning, expo tomorrow afternoon image
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    I should be on Green quite early. Last year O4S and I found each other first and then the rest after that. I'm sure we'll find each other.

Glute not aching today. Still not risking a run but feel happy. Mind you I'm already getting that sick to the stomach feeling and it's only Friday!

Carrot - shame we won't see you at the start. Have a great time on Champs and go smash it image