My personal website about marathon running!

2»

Comments

• KL11...... I think you are copping out regarding your age....you should still be able to take chunks off if you make the effort........loads of people on here are still getting faster despite getting older........

If you run form a youngster then you will get slower..but for those who start in their late 30's//// there are years ahead of being able to get faster.....I think you need to start reading some marathon threads or blogs to get some ideas of how to run your marathons faster......

• I thought KL11 was faring pretty well to be honest. I've seen worse.
  • K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

Haha... thanks seren nos. I'm pretty happy with my performance and don't feel that I have anything to prove.

It depends upon where I want to put my focus, and especially important, that I continue to enjoy what I am doing. On the other hand I do think that I could improve my half marathon time quite significantly though... maybe I will try that soon. I must have run a hundred HM's in training but only two competitively. 

/

Thanks Miffi image 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Miffi wrote (see)
    I thought KL11 was faring pretty well to be honest. I've seen worse.

I thought Miffi meant people weren't being that horrible to you compared to normal, not that it was an endorsement...

• He's not doing too badly. He probably doing averagely well. There will be thousands at THE marathon this weekend running similar times. Maybe I'll ask them for some running tips too. 

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Aah, the self indulgence of the blogger strikes again. Interestingly he makes my "all too long point" for me and rather succinctly at thatimage
  • GL said

"There is nothing boring about sex."

As I'm a rabbit I have to agree.
  • K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

I ran Brighton on Sunday with a PB of 3:50. 

Maybe all your barbs and criticism helped me raise my game image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done! See, you are not too old. Plenty of years left in you to continue with the PBs
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Top bombing!!  image  Nice one!

Q: Can we have the race report in FAQ format please?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well done. But I think the burning question that we all need answered is did you need to go to the toilet? And if so, what number?

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I wouldn't worry about age just yet. I'm 47 (soon to be 48) and I set 10K and HM PBs this year. Granted, I didn't race much before 40 but eh, mental attitude counts for a lot. Nice looking site, btw.

• K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

I updated my website with latest race reports but for you fine people I'll just print it here: 

Marathons 13 & 14: Two in a Week, Brighton and Zurich 2015

This year I have decided to train for an Ultra marathon, the Rennsteiglauf in May in Germany which is 73km. Training for an ultra brings things to a new level, with back to back weekend long runs rather than one long run per week. At some point in my training I would be called to run pretty much marathon distances on a weekly basis, so instead of trudging around in the forest on my own somewhere I decided to try to run two competitive marathons in a week. 

I had already registered for Zürich and as luck would have it Brighton, which is the major town where I was born and grew up, would be the week before. Brighton is quite a beast in terms of participants. Zurich tends to have about 3000 marathoners while Brighton has about 18k. Much bigger than anything else I have run. Why not?

Brighton, however, was sold out. Luckily, I secured a very late charity place for the World Wildlife Fund. That was good as it would be cool to try and raise some money and I hoped that the novelty value of running two in seven days would help attract sponsors. 

Brief race report. Due to the ultra training, I had upped my weekly training mileage somewhat, and had also been doing some treadmill running and gym work for core such as rowing. However, I had no particular result expectations for Brighton and just hoped that I could do a sub four if possible. Weather was nice, crowd support was superb, atmosphere was excellent, and I was feeling unusually strong in general by the half way mark. 

This being the case, I decided to push the gas pedal for the last 10km. I realised that I was on for a PB and hoped for a 3:52. With 2km to go, I pushed even harder with 5min per km pace. With 1km to go, I looked at my watch and saw that my elapsed time was 3:45. Suddenly, the prospect of a sub 3:50 was there. I sprinted as fast as I could and crossed the line with 3:50:03. Nearly four minutes better than my previous PB yet just 4 seconds away from a new frontier. Brilliant but bittersweet. 

How would I fare in the second race? 

Seven days later, on the start line for Zürich, my legs were still clearly not feeling 100% but I concocted a plan to try and run the first half at a 3:50 pace and just see how I felt for the second half. To be brief, I went for it, and even pushed a little harder than my plan. This could have been foolhardy, as in the past it has led to disastrous nausea and general wall hitting. 

By km 33, I was suffering but could live with it, and pushed on. I realised that if I was ever going to do a sub 3:50, it would probably be today. The remainder of my running this year would be ultra training or mountain training, where fast times are not the focus. So I resolved to try my best. It worked. I once again surprised myself by crossing the line with 3:46:31. A great result for me, of which I’m proud. 

In addition, I raised about £500 for the WWF, something I’m also proud of.

• Well done - for the running and the fund raising.
  • K L 11K L 11 ✭✭✭

Thanks Miffi image