Brighton Marathon 2016

Comments

• Biko - the Travelodge at Preston Park is a popular choice (overlooks the start, although is a mile or so from the finish). Alternatively there are umpteen options along the seafront if you want to be closer to the finish and then it's a nice stretch of legs up to the start on the morning. A lot of places have a 2 night minimum stay so bear that in mind when booking. Also EVERYWHERE gets booked up really early, so if you want to book somewhere do it sooner, rather than later, otherwise you'll end up staying out of town and need to train it in on the morning.

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice, that Travelodge looks ideal. With it being my first marathon I may well try and stay a couple of nights anyway in order to be ready on the race/packs collection as well as not having to travel back to Berkshire with 26 miles in my legs!

Travelodge don't start selling their rooms until 11 months before the date so may have to wait a couple of weeks yet. Cheers.

• Be quick everyone try's that one Biko. Prices were hiked for the event for the first time last year. They were always a bargain in previous years. I stayed at gatwick this year and trained in. Not too stressful but the TL is definitely the best way to do it IMO.
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭

As it's my first mara I'm not too concerned about paying too much over the odds, but I'll certainly be on the ball the day the rooms are released - with added backup plans ready to book if needs be,

I deferred my 2015 place as I got to 2/3/ months out and had a small injury + nowhere booked. Getting hotels booked and a plan ready for what I'm going to do that weekend will make it feel all the more real. Quite keen to get it sorted.

Will be in the London 2016 ballot too, but I'm not expecting anything from that. London would be more convenient for me location wise but focus is Brighton.

• Biko with a small amount of extra training you could do both ????
  • I'm in for the 3rd time, signed up at the Expo.  I ran it in 2013 and 2014 but did the Brighton BM10K this year instead and got the same incredible atmosphere with the crowds cheering me along, especially since I was wearing a costume, (I was dressed as a daffodil, running for Marie Curie).

Now to train hard this year and improve my time from 2014. 

• I'm in, I also signed up at the expo. 3rd year for me.

Biko I did Brighton and London this year, managed to run similar times 3.59 and 4.01 my legs feel dead right now though! But it's definitely doable if you manage to get a ballot spot.
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭

I did two halves in a week last year, and I found that fine. Two marathons in a week sounds a bit much of a stretch, as I said earlier I suspect the London ballot will see to that anyway. But it's still about a year away, time to train....

This forum is great, enter one marathon and someone is trying to convince you that running one the week after would be a great ideaimage

• I'm in, spur of the moment booked the race and hotel this lunchtime. Second marathon for me so atleast I've got an idea of what to expect this time. Glad I've got a year to prepare, at about a 2 hour half at the moment - just need to keep the long runs up every weekend, going a bit further every couple of weeks.

Very excited!

• LindsayYLindsayY ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm in for 2016. done the Brighton marathon in 2012 and LOVED every minute of it, even the extra 13 minutes over my planned sub 4 hr finish!  Had planned to be back sooner, but have had horrendous back issues since injuring myself during the rock n roll half marathon in Edinburgh in 2013.  

ran for the first time in almost 2 years last month, and just ran a 10k training run today! The bug is back.  Even though I'm super slow.  Cant wait for this one next year!

• I'm in. Injury deferal from 2015. Learnt a lot and this time I will be there. First marathon so no goal time just to get to the start and the finish and enjoy it. Got a couple of half's in the build up to prepare
  • Fingers crossed Tillstar, you deserve to be fit at the start line this time round!!! It was an amazing experience last month! For me its Manchester and London (probably not as via ballot).

• I don't like Manchester and London so much since they just plain refuse to put their starting lines round the corner like Brighton do.

• Back in training this week after two weeks off while the other half was in hospital. Somehow the enforced rest has given me new found speed and I'm averaging almost a minute faster per mile over every run.
  • Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

Did Riga in 3:42 (4 mins quicker than Brighton surprisingly despite not running more than 6 miles in the intervening 5 weeks) on Sunday.  One thing they did that I thought was very simple yet a brilliant idea, was that the pacers had helium balloons tied to their backs that you could see from miles back.  I might email the Brighton organisers and suggest they do this for 2016.

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭

When I did the Severn Bridge Half there was a chap there with a "HAPPY 2nd BIRTHDAY" helium balloon he'd obviously bought in Clinton's (other card shops are available...). Took me ages to realise he was the self-appointed 2 hour pacer! image

• Finally took the plunge and entered yesterday following a decent 20 k training run yesterday, will be my first marathon.  Always wanted to do one but never got around to it. 

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

Good luck Egdug.  From my experience most people don't do the time they want in their first marathon, so be realistic with your aims and enjoy it.  Brighton was a cracker this year, real good atmosphere.  

I've entered Amsterdam on Oct 18th and gonna really have a good crack at going under 3:30, which prob means going off at 7:45 and holding it until at least the 16 mile mark.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

I'm in for 2016. Got to keep my ever present up image Had a bad race this year as it turned out I was coming down with a cold.

• Thanks for this Rob1978, I've no real target time, just want to try to get around without having to walk. 

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭

Booked into a Travelodge for the Saturday and Sunday nights... not cheap but what has to be done, has to be done...

• Hi Everyone,

I'm in for 2016 after deferring this year due to injury, ran in 2014 and loved it. Meaning I enjoyed the beer whilst standing waist deep in the sea after the run that is.

• I'm in again (after running it this year as my first Marathon)... travelodge booked!

• I'm guessing that the Travelodge know that being across the road from the start means they can charge their top rates.

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    I think they're aware there's an event going on, yes....
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

I'm in having given up on getting a place in the VLM ballot (although clearly this year, now I have a place in Brighton, I'm bound to get a place). This will be my second, or possibly third marathon as I may do one in October.

I really need to get accommodation sorted by the sound of it. Bringing the family with me so a simple hotel room won't cut it. 

• Hi all

sorry I’ve not been around i have entered the 2016 race but haven't run since Brighton as I'm having trouble with my feet at the moment doc seems to think i have plantar fasciitis so waiting to hear back from the hospital I’m hoping all will be well by the time the training due to begin in December

• Would Brighton be a good choice for a first marathon?

• As good as any. Well organised and fairly flat. Plenty of other first timers and loads of support. 

• Hi Cal

Brighton would be a great choice for a first marathon though i may be biases as it was mine and I've now run it ever year since it began in 2010