Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Cracking 1500 SC, I'll be nowhere near that kind of performance this year!

A few mad footy things this year, Tranmere down to non-league (image) AFCB on the way up, some big clubs falling out of the champ.

• Nice one Simon. Good luck Scott.

And I missed Ric off yesterday, well done.
  • Just saw Simon S on the TV as Paula passed him.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sikora Philip?

Nice one Simon - sounds very quick to me image

After much dithering and doubt, I did the Ridge Off Roader today. A very nice, scenic, but quite tough local 10k that is growing in popularity. It's very well organised and has a bit of a village fete feel to it with stalls, races of various lengths, very good cakes etc.

All went pretty well and the legs held up OK - 5.30 first mile, as half of it was downhill! Thereafter the terrain is either rolling, rough and uphill, with a killer hill in the last 2k that makes a fair few walk, even at the front end.  I managed to overtake a couple here. I also managed a sprint finish (without puking!) at the end to fend off someone closing fast and I think I just squeezed into the top 10, with 41:55. The winner did 39 something, just in front of local V50 legend Keith Miller.

Only two disappointments - being overtaken in the last 3k by a young bloke wearing a jacket and never quite managing to close the gap on him (He must have been baking !!!) and thinking my time was faster than when I did it in 2013, only to find out I was actually 8 secs slower!

Overall though, I'm glad I did it and the legs feel OK afterwards.

• Looks like a solid run bus. I was out your way this morning. Got caught out by the Garmin course planner: set out to do 11 miles on the road from Holmer Green to Amerhsam and back and was good at halfway but then my map seemed to indicate roads which were not there and I soon worked out my return route was actually on private roads on a big estate so I had to go off-road. Did a big chunk of the Shardeloes 10k before I got back on course. 12 miles at 7:30 average with a few long hills and plenty of mud so happy with that.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yeah, there are a few of those near here that look fine on Google mapping, but you can't actually do them on the ground - a pain, as it messes up some otherwise very nice routes.

I see Cooray PBd today - 2:13:47!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

quick post and out, as the marathoners deserve the floor later today...

seeman - another pb well done mate, sc/dachs, fast as heck, although dachs, just a scrape the outskirts of your best.

This time of year it's hard not to think "what If" about marathons, but a steep hill 2miles into my 14miler, and a real drudge mentally to the finish showed me it wouldn't be fun. still 7min dead average tho.

I'd probably consider it if the M man said it was my only way to get faster across the stable, if I could be sure I could handle the extra strain, or if I could get that half under 1.15 and auto qualify!

Sikora...odd running style, odd unbreakability, and smiles when racing a 2.39. The latter two definitely help him to continue his insane improvement. Word has it he went through half way in the 1.16s, when his pb (that isn't even on power of 10) was 1.18!

some of these improvements, and chaps on the Skinny overdoing thread definitely make you want to get your own train back on the track!

ok that wasn't a quick check in at all, but here we are!

• Just dropping in to say thanks guys and had a good result today! 

Came away happy to take victory but a Samir-esque start led the legs falling off at 6 KM..

Can't complain in a way with my mileage I've been doing, averaging 4-5m per day but oh well! Shouldn't run a 5:05 1st mile either way! Can we be kind please! 

Splits of 16:36 / 17:33 are laughable but that's that.. Shows I could run a nippy 5KM though which I think is my limit until I sort my base running out image

Easy run tomorrow to flush things out then nothing for 2 weeks! 

Back in the game though and shouldn't lose to much fitness if I recover well from the op so excited to see what will happen in the summer..

Really fantastic event though and 150 quid + bottle of champers is never to be sniffed at, plus free hoodie etc, made to feel a bit special though with interviews etc, really big event for Southampton so they really went all out! The HM was won by Matt B in 74:xx - Southampton lad, and he was chuffed with 200! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good work Scott. do you think it was the fact you could sense you'd be right up there that caused the start? If you were at say Eastleigh, knowing there was a stellar field, would you have reigned it in more?

Either way, heck of a time for a "falling off"!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps...I'd just like to say...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

30,000 posts

imageimageimage

thanks for continuing this thread peoples!

• Yeah I think so, I headed out pacey but not silly, couldn't hear anyone behind me from the gun....I think after the first 800 or so I was just loving that thrill then kinda realised and said "what am I doing" image 

I think if there were people with me I'd have stuttered and kept my efforts in check! 

Will have to sort things out for my next two races as they are a HM and track 10KM! No place for a drop off like that! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bloody hell - another 9,998 before we can celebrate again then

Nicely done Scott! A good win and a most impressive prize haul to boot!

Good luck with the op...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just checked the results - I was 8th, and 5th vet. There were 7 V40s in row from 5th to 11th, so very much an old bloke's race it seems!!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Well done Scott, Bus, SS & Dachs and anyone else who's raced.

I also saw Simon S, or as I put it, that guy from XC, figured he must be motoring to be up with Paula.

Wrapped up my well planned Marathon preparations with a random 10 miler with a few hills at 7.03. Feeling a bit tired though after 13.5 hrs of training this week and no rest day for 3.5 weeks.

• Good results for Bus and Scott. Well done fellas. The mara boys are obviously recovering so I'll just hop in with a 15 mile LSR at 7L27avg.

67 for the week with a 10 mile PB! Got a mid-week 5K next week, no easing down though. Last big week before GMR.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ahem. Mara boys and girls. I got a 4 minute PB of 2:52:30 but had to work a fair bit harder for it than last year! Many thanks to SG as always for all the coaching and general support. Looks like my club's ladies' team may have won UK silver too, though it might take ages for them to confirm. I saw Johnas at the start, looking beardy in a deckchair vest.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's fantastic stuff Lit, very well done indeed! Positive PB fest yesterday! Full report to come?

• Well done Scott and Bus.

Lit - stunning result. That pace isn't far off my all time 10km pace and I remember how that felt!

I see Johnas had a good results too.

PeteM, were you the taller guy in a 100club t-shirt and racing flats?

In the run down for Shinfield so on the whole the intensity is dropping, apart from a TT on Thursday.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

PeteM, were you the taller guy in a 100club t-shirt and racing flats?

In the run down for Shinfield so on the whole the intensity is dropping, apart from a TT on Thursday.

No, I think that was a Bracknell Forest guy who was just behind me. I'm average height (or a bit less) and racing flats would be too ambitious for me on that course? What's Shinfield like? Half thinking of entering if its a fast course and still open. 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Just ducking in and great to see some lovely race results from SeeMan, Scott, Bus and especially Lit - lovely to see you yesterday and bigger times to come from you with such strong training partners!

As most have seen, good day out for me yesterday. Finally broke the 2.40 barrier. Went self coached and as such totally changed my training around with a much more endurance focus and longer base building phase using HR and, due to life/work/family, a much more relaxed approach to my training with only 2 sessions a week (although they were high mileage). Cashed it in in the final 10km and never felt so strong in a marathon, averaging 6 min/mile for the final 10km. 

Result was a 4 minute PB and gun time of 2.38.37. Glad I can now put that to bed and am really looking forward to having some family time

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

imageimageimage

Great result and thoroughly deserved Johnas

• Ressies get better and better! Jonas- you must have just been behind my mate from LBAC (tall and gangly, garish purple and yellow vest).

Watched at 14 and 20 again, then drunk far too much and got back about 12. Stupid boy! My very loosely termed 'training partner' did amazingly, 2nd Brit home, just can't get my head how fast a 2.15 is.

Only a steady 4 miler with a slight headache today, felt quite carbo loaded! Now for a big footie match..
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

This is the guy that beat me - I ask yer!!

/members/images/390230/Gallery/Shirt_bloke.jpg

Looks like he'd just finished a spot of pheasant shooting before taking on the oiks!!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Is that a cravat?
  • Nice running Johnas! Amazing PB. Those beasty tempos have paid off!

Congrats to Lit also on a similarly stunning time.

Bus, if anything drives us on, it's being out kicked by a cravat-wearing, geography teacher with a sailors coat on. image

Track Tuesday was Monday as we got a 'real' track to run in a nearby town. 10 x 400 (off 60)

73, 74, 75, 76, 75, 76, 76, 75, 75, 74. Was bloody hard and never felt comfortable at all but reps were okay so nice to put into the speed work bank.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Wow Lit, phenomenal. You just keep getting better and better! Yet another PB smashed out of the water. Must be all those hills and wind resistance training since you moved. Top marks.

Johnas, I'm really pleased you managed to get under 2:40, particularly with the time out you've had to take. Sounds like a fantastically executed race, with that speediness at the end, and more to come off that I suspect. It does leave me feeling rather lonely in the Can't Break 2:40 Club though.

Great win Scott, nice way to return to racing. Sounds like an enthusiastic start! I did notice your clubmates who won the half got some TV time, which must have been fun, particularly given that, on the basis of having seen his name around in the XC and elsewhere he could no doubt have run it a shell of a lot quicker.

Nice repping SS. 

Race entry done for one I may see a couple of you at.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Oops, missed the Bus man, how rude. Good work on your hilly offroader, sounds a pretty solid performance. Shame that chap's jacket wasn't an Italia one.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice work Lit and Johnas! Have mentioned Scott elsewhere!

Given your success with coaching Lit, SG, can I suggest that number 246 in Bus's pic has a lot of untapped potential, Italia jacket or not.

I suspect Simon is currently feeling rather chuffed, with Cherries on the top, or to be more precise, second.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Italia? More like Brocklehursts or Barbour, but almost certainly a cravat of one sort or another! And he hardly looks like he's broken into a sweat!!!

Dachs - hardly lonely in the "Can't break 2:40 club"  - there's' a few of us in that one image. Yours will come next time out though..

Stevie See - fantastic reps there! Quality, quantity and a fair dose of consistency to boot - looks like a good summer season coming up!