Sub 4 Amy: #asics262

Comments

• Hey. Mum dropped off and now at my sisters before I head back. Plenty of great running gone on.

Iain Hickman 2 good luck for entering London's ballot, I bet you will be very jealous when all they all set of tomorrow if you have tried 3 times already to get a place. As for which other marathon you should aim for, I have only done Edinburgh so I cannot comment on the others. I would say Edinburgh is a great one to try for a sub 4 though as its flat. The atmosphere will not be like Paris however. I remember quite a large stretch where there were no spectators. It is a beautiful city though. Haha, I am still not sure how I pushed sub 1:40 at Brighton! Would be great to think about running it and together, although that is my last weekend before I go so I think I have plans. Shame. If things change...you never know! I'll have a google and look into it anyway. Holding 7:58min smiling with a hypo, I don't know how you do it! So glad you are pleased with Paris, you absolutely should be, and ha to those that thought you wouldn't complete it! Nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh! I completely agree with Reikirabbit that when you do your second marathon you will see such a difference and will have learnt so much from Paris and will take this forward to better your training.

Reikirabbit how are your injuries now?! I love the sound of your 5 miler from easy to threshold, awesome. How did you pace it? How was expo? Pen 3 huh image How are you feeling? Bet you feel like you are non-stop eating right now. Hows the knee? And the lurgy? Did the garlic bulb do the trick?! Burgh! I do love hearing about your concoctions! 

Pete Holt I think the 10days rest sounds like a good plan. A puffy and swollen knee does not sound fun at all. Isn't funny how we all seem to get some sort of pain or injury yet we still keep going back for more! Injury risk was the reason that I stopped doing the insanity, HIT and bootcamp classes that I was doing before the marathon training. I have started back up with them now, have really missed them. I love running but think the variety is fun and useful too. I am having to be careful though and as I am guarding my leg for some of the exercises, and can pay for it the next day sometimes finding myself limping round all day, but then other days it is fine, theres not really a set pattern.

Snufflepants amazing write up! Thank you for sharing. Haha I literally lol'd that one of your life highlights is sitting on the Central Perk sofa! I have to say I would very much enjoy that too. Not a great start having to bus it to hotel and a zombie daughter!! Didn't affect you at all though and you kept your calm remembering that patience is a virtue  image And of course very pleased to hear that you got Isabel some Asics banners (not biased at all!). You set off with the same plan as me but managed to handle things and stick to plan much better than me. Couldn't agree more about having your name on your top, sounds like you really got some great support from family and strangers, it really makes such a difference. And what a great memory you have about the hill running! Ha! image Such a great example of why I love music for motivation too, love that you recognised your achievement even though you hadn't reached the finish at that point, it shows what a strong position you were in mentally, which is absolutely half the battle, possibly even more. And obviously I love your finish, kick to the end, amazing, love it imageimage Certainly not a fluke, and pleased to hear that you were high 5ing and joining in too, Steve Marathon Coach picked me up

• Part 2...

...Certainly not a fluke, and pleased to hear that you were high 5ing and joining in too, Steve Marathon Coach picked me up on doing that saying that I should have conserved my energy haha, he was of course right, but I too would not have changed that and the atmosphere. Overall an inspirational report of a strong run after tough training, congrats and a sub 4 well deserved Snufflepants, well done. I feel like I want to get up and go run a marathon right now! Guess I'll just leave it to the London lot for tomorrow!

Ktkt hope your last 4 miles went well. Just think about Ryan Gosling being at the end haha!

Buxton Running Bunny I know exactly what you mean. I apologised to my Mum as think in the week or so leading up to Paris I wasn't quite myself, felt snappy and mardy, she said I wasn't but I didn't feel myself, I was so focused and panicky. I am sure your Mum was fine about things really, although the daft will have helped! Stay positive and don't think about your twinge. I was exactly the same. My leg just felt like it was getting worse in the last week after being injury free throughout the whole training. And I think this is what was playing on my mind the most and why I felt so snappy with Mum. Yet on the day, although yes I could feel it a little as the miles progressed it really wasn't an issue, I promise. You are in great shape fitness wise and mentally. You have been smashing PBs throughout this whole training process. Just don't over do anything now - rest and carbs! I hope the carb loading is going well by the way, its harder than people think, but pick foods like and know that you tolerate well and its not that bad really. Has choc and cake formed a part of it like Snufflepants?! And don't worry about the emotion, let it now so you can focus on the day. You are not a total manic at all, you are ready - 21829 you are ready.

Yes I feel recovered thank you, just guarding my leg as I mentioned earlier. I am not running as much as I would like because of this, but doing other things (the classes and bootcamps) is helping as I do love them. Think I will try running more normally this week now as Mum has gone and I can get back into a more usual routine. I need to get back into a normal eating pattern too. My portions are still larger than they used to be, plus now having the puddings and chocolate again on top is not so great and I think I need to start tapering again lol! (she says as she is eating a wedge of her sister's bday cake!).

Snufflepants what is the Run Round Sheffield Pair event? How come I haven't heard of this?! When is it? Who is your pair?

Good luck to your OH in Madrid, wow his running gets him round huh #anyexcuseforaholidayimage Shame he cannot be with you tomorrow though. He will be with you in spirit though I know it and I think it will drive you more.

I will be thinking of you Buxton Running Bunny, Reikirabbit and ktkt when you are running tomorrow. And you too Steve Marathon Coach if you are still reading this and are still planning on running??? And anyone else who is running. I wish you all the luck in the world. You won't need it, but its the thing to say. Just remember your training and stay focused. Stick to what you know, and overall enjoy it!

• Hi Amy, lurgy was a freak thing, and am now back to plain freaking out, trying to get the carbs in as you say, and keeping the nerves at bay.

My brother is here now, although we wil go over to the B&B in Lewisham later, despite just hearing that our lift to the start has fallen through.

My knee is a bit sore, and I don't know how I will go...guess we will find out tomorrow! I think I will try to hit 9 min miling, 9 mins between mile markers I mean, and see if that's realistic.
  • Thanks for the good vibes everyone, I feel ready, bring it on!!! The carb load is well underway, blimey it's not easy is it Amy. Spliting it into 6; 3 smaller meals and 3 decent snacks seems to be helping tho... Just hoping it helps me maintain my pace in the last 10K tomorrow. 

Good luck RR and ktkt (and Steve Marathon Coach), hopefully we'll get to meet up before the race but if I miss you, have a great race!!! See you on the other side... 

• Relax and enjoy BRB, hope to meet you!

I found the cxarb load easy, have got well over the 500g mark and t's early yet...
  • Good luck everyone for tomorrow. BRB and RR maybe see you in the morning but if not I look firward to hearing your report after, I'm sure you'll smash that PB BRB! 

• Good luck everybody, I look forward to reading the good news stories tomorrow evening and into Monday!!!imageimageimage

• Good luck to everyone doing London. pace it well and conserve energy on first half and give it all in last 10km. 

• Glad the lurgy was a passing thing Reikirabbit, as I'm impressed you found the. Are loading so easy, you're only a wee dot!

Great work with the carb loading plan too Buxton Running Bunny. Sounds like you got it all under control.

Ktkt good luck to you too, ready and raring.

Hi Steve Marathon Coach. Good luck and take it steady. Enjoy it.

Yep good luck vibes all round. Looking forward to race reports when you all get a min. Will be thinking of you all. Now go go go!!!!!!
  • Hope it's not too late to add my run a great race message to all those running VLM today. RR and BRB in particular and please say hi to the Bramster as you're running past him!
  • Got over the VMLM blues this morning with a sub 1:40 paced 10 miler, completed in 75:36 @ 7:34/mile pace.

So looking forward to watching the LM on TV, and I'm sure at different points in the run it will bring back some memories for me from Paris, anybody having a last minute look at the forum, as said before trust your training, and having already run this morning in Nottingham, if you have the weather here in London today, it will be perfect conditions for you!!imageimageimage

• Go VLM team GO!!

Enjoy your day all - the miles, carb load and all the hardwork are now complete...you'll smash it!!

Can't wait to hear the stories and results later.

I'm back in Manchester on a Stag Do (first ever seeing as a I'm a female - fingers crossed it might be my last...) but snuck in a tourist Parkrun to Platt Field Park South Manchester run. Dragged a friend to his first parkrun: he's sold! Yay!! First run since last weekend. Not due to legs, but due to my battered feet. Toe nails coming off all over the shop image
  • Buxton running bunny half time of 1:53.

Tim superman Jones I think 1:45.

Reikirabbit and Steve Marathon Coach I can't find you guys sorry. Ktkt I don't know your name or number to search for you sorry.

And well done to Paula to finishing her last London marathon in 2:36.
  • Race report to follow, but just a quick post to say; I DID IT!!!!!!!!!! Finished in 3:52.48 and I'm over the moon!!! That's a 36min PB, not too shabby...
  • Knocking 36 mins off your PB - blimey! Well done Brb! Have a well deserved drink or two and then let's have that race reportimage
  • BRB that is a fantastic PB, well done.

Despite being tripped up after 2.5 miles and grazing my right knee, everything went to plan and finished in 3.58.06. Pretty much even pace and so, so happy to go sub 4 again at the tender age of 57 and not running any races for seven years. My best marathon ever!

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

Running Bunny, 36 minute PB, get in.

outstanding effort well done. x

"Skills" Howard.

• A fabulous effort BRB and Howard, really big respect to you both, I loved watching it on the TV. I also avidly followed the progress of 12 runners on the live thread, it was truly exciting.

And unbeknown to anybody else in my house I was dancing around the room in delight when they all crossed the line because I think 10 of the 12 ran PBs, the conditions must have been just right today, well done all.

I was super impressed when your time updated on my laptop BRB, your training has been great and you've been rewarded with a fab new PB, was this your second marathon?

Also I hope the OH did well in Madrid, really looking forward to the report on both accounts, super well done!!imageimageimageimage

• huge congratulations BRB that's fantastic..knew you could do it! 

Well done Howard too!

sorry for late response but was also my birthday yesterday so had to celebrate that then was shattered and in bed very early..I ran it in 3.35, a 3 min PB so I am very happy. I ran a little too fast at the start so I was more tired than I should have been halfway, I saw Tim at around mile 7 and had a chat, he was going strong, a little too fast for me too. 

i think this forum has really helped me so thank you all. 

• Hi everyone, thanks for the good wishes Ant Mc Neill. I only had my phone at the B&B so forgive my silence.

Had a fab day out, including a jogette with Superman Tim in the first mile or so, and yes met up with Bramster last night at our club after party.

I ran 3:59:25, which is very much a Bramster sort of time, although he went slightly better yesterday. We failed to meet at the merger.

I had woken with a suddenly acute achilles, my warm-up was tentative and not encouraging. Got going once various pains had shot all over my left foot from the ankle, parking at the knee as usual, which I could cope with.

My left calf was tugging from mile 6 so had to keep it steady to avoid cramp, got to halfway in 1:58:06, and used that cushion to coast in rather than risk blowing up in the second half.

It amazes me how different the effort level is between 3:54 and 3:59.

I'm so grateful to have come through able to run at all, and then sub 4 was such a bonus, it would be greedy to want more given where I was a month ago.

Many thanks for all the support, Amy and team!

Great runs BRB and ktkt.
  • Awesome running everyone - so happy you all had a good time at the VLM.

Ktkt - amazing time and stunning running.

BRB - WOW! 36 minute PB is stunning. Welcome to the 3.52 club: it rocks!! imageimageimage

RR - a sub 4 even with all the twinges: some real mental strength shown there.

Well done all - enjoy your buzz...
  • well done ktkt BRB RR - great running and well deserved times

• Steve Marathon Coach if you see this did you run? I am torn between thinking you are the AW one not the other one, and you're the other other one, but the AW one had injuries in the build up so am now confused.

Actually I failed to check whetehr there were 2 of you in the results!
  • Yes Reiki I am also the AW one - the other one (elder) who shouted to me at 3 miles, hasn't raced for 3 years when he ran a 2:56 at the age of 55 which remains our club M55 record so though I am ill and slightly injured, I'm currently the lucky one as he can't run at all.

• So I managed 3.37 so I'm absolutely delighted. It was an amazing experience and has reignited my bug for running after I promised this would be my last marathon.

On that note I'm thinking of running Liverpool in six weeks this Sunday. I reckon that I'll take this week easy then churn out three good weeks of training then hit my taper, what do people reckon?

• Brilliant then! I love the blog and the historical roundups in AW.

Right, so you need & deserve a bit of a run of luck to target that record.

My brother was jinxed in the build up as well, after never having an injury in his life, suddenly it's a whole new prospect - he was disappointed to run 3:17, lost it all in the 2nd half.
  • Andy JS - well done -

really you probably don't need 3 good weeks - you are already fit but it might take 2 weeks to fully recover - would suggest 1 very easy week, 1 quite easy week with no longer runs but some faster sessions and then 2 normal weeks of training but you probably only need one long marathon training run (ie 18?) in those 2 weeks.

• Wahoo! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Well done Buxton Running Bunny 36mins PB, ha! Smashed it baby!!! Looking forward to a full report when you are able. And hope your OH is well too.

Well done Howard the road runner, love Pete Holts comment "skills" lol! Great running, hope you're not injured from being tripped up, I imagine it was very busy and congested.

Well done and many happy returns ktkt, what better way to celebrate than a 3min PB at VMLM in 3:35, what a time! Make sure you take note of SupermanRuns Tim's programme and think about a 3:30 next time! Glad you have benefit from this forum.

Well done Reikirabbit, crusing in under the sub 4 mark, piece of cake! You sure showed those niggles what for. You really have come so far given your last month or so. Thank you for all your support also. Your bro shouldn't be disappointed with that time, especially of he had a bit of an injury. I hope it was a minor one off blip for him.

Well done Andyis21, another great time and someone who should take note of SupermanRuns Tim' training programme.If you're feeling fit then go for it at Liverpool! Why not.

Well done Steve Marathon Coach, altough I am slightly confused by your "AW" chat with Reikirabbit! Assuming you finished...what was your time?

Overall, massive congrats and celebrations to All. I am really happy for you all. I think Iain Hickman 2 watched it on tele. I saw Paula's last 10-15mins and then a couple of hours of you guys desperately looking for glimpses of the faces that I would recognise but no luck. Has anyone watched it back and seen themselves??

• Amy - maybe RR had seen this blog on the AW website

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/featured/marathon-man-steve-smythe-on-the-lure-of-london-21565/

you can do it next year and see how it compares with Paris?