Sub 3.30 Tim: #asics262

Comments

• I then headed off to get my bag and to try and find Sub 4.30 Andrea who was working on the baggage lorry just next to mine and it was great to have a catch up and see her. Then I headed off to the repatriation area to meet the family and find out how my bro and friend had got on. Bro did well but sadly the other side of marathon running reared its head. The concern about my friend who had not come in some 45 mins after we expected her too. Internet was not working and a few frantic calls home to find out what her splits had been and we found out something had gone wrong at mile 15. Not long after she hobbled up to us, clearly very injured, having suffered from what is believed to be a stress fracture forcing her to slow to a shuffle. This shows the marathon has to be respected, disaster can strike at any time. From being on for a sub 3.45, she hobbled in around 4hrs 35 and in pain.

And so ended the superhero marathon. I loved it. Absolutely loved it. Yes it was tough, it was hot, I was drenched at the end, literally drenched. The suit was so heavy it took an age to get off. But I got so much from it. I saw what else the marathon can also be about. By wearing the suit I was able to see how much the crowd get from fancy dress runners as well. And I am sure it raised more money for my charity. What a day. So different to Paris but so memorable in a totally different way. 

And 3.55 in a supersuit. Why two years ago I hadn't even broken sub 4 hrs running normally. Maybe next year I'll go for sub 3.30 in it. Or is that a step too far? One thing I do know is today, I have some of the best running memories from this year I will ever have, and the blues. On to new challenges. Sub 3.15. Who wants to join me in a sub 3.15 thread. Maybe Malcs Freemers and Slowkoala will help??

• ktkt It was lovely seeing you and very well done on your PB, you must be so chuffed, very pleased for you. And also belated happy birthday for yesterday, you should have said! Well done. 

Ruffles You did brilliantly considering, hope the legs arent too bad and thanks again for the lovely hug and piccie. image

Slowkoala , Christian, Angela, Fairyclogs I am loving the reports. It is great seeing and hearing about the run through other peoples eyes. 

Sean When are going sub 3.15 buddy? 

And now I am going to have a glass of wine. image

• Brilliant report Super, I'm just sorry about your friend.

Yes, the logistics of running in a suit are many and varied, and the weight and wetness are a major handicap.

You are a hero, I love your attitude and perspective.

Well done on the time too!
  • Well done Superman with the heroic performance in a wet suit. Good race reports all round.

Sub 3.15 I am in it if you are.Might try for your space on the asics paris trip.

• Great report Soups.

I do fancy a stab at sub 3:15, but know that it would take a big effort. Therefore for me I do find it logistically easier to train hard over the winter months. So this time next year? But what Marathon? And who to mentor us? image
  • Great write up as ever Tim! 

• Great report Tim!  So annoyed I didn't get a chance to meet you yesterday  - we were expecting you in the pub, so sorry to hear about your friend!  Can't imagine finishing when in that much pain!! 

• Loving the write ups really brings it home reading other peoples experiences as well.  

Top stuff as always Tim and you are spot on I am my own worst enemy at times so was such a boost and kept me going for a good few miles the little pep talk, all you need sometimes just to ignore the negative voices.  Thanks again. image 

• great write ups, was good to see you too Tim even if briefly, well done again on your time. Thank you all for your congratulations, I am really pleased and my run made even more poignant now as I was running for Prostate Cancer research in honour of my boss who had been suffering from cancer since  last August and who sadly died last night but he knew I was running and the time I did so that makes me more proud image I hope you've all been enjoying a well deserved drink!

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Loved, loved, loved your write up Superman, had me welling up again! I didn't realise this was your first marathon in the fancy dress - have you worn it for shorter races? And yes, let's have another thread!!

Angela - loved your report too, but I think you are right about being very critical of yourself. You got your BQ target and a PB too! I'd be interested in your views as a PT on stiffness, cramping and tightness at the end as I really wanted to speed up at the end and felt great but my bloody legs wouldn't cooperate. How can this be prevented?
  • Just arrived in Italy- will try to answer u fullySK when we're on th hotel wifi x

• Haven't posted too much on here, but always feel inspired by the Asics 26.2 challenge. Followed Malcs last year and Tim this year. Anyways ran VMLM on Sunday and bagged a gfa time, 3:19:20. Tim you said in your report that you felt you could have gone faster in Paris, but wanted to stick to your plan and nail a sub 3:30:00. Well I suspect that from your training you certainly can go much faster.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Some really good race reports - enjoyed reading those a lot.  Here's mine:

Got to the start pretty early, around 8 I think.  A long time to hang around, and it was really cold - definitely hat and gloves weather and I think I had about 5 layers on to start with.  Eventually braved the cold to de-layer, just ended with one extra top and a bin liner which I took off 5 minutes before the start.  Some celeb spotting at the start - didn't recognise many except for Chris Evans and David Hemery.  And then we were off.

It was the usual scrum around the first corner to get past the celebs, but I settled into a good pace. 7.22 for the first mile was great, but I then sped up a bit, including 6.43 for mile 3 (downhill) and around 7.10-7.15 for the rest of the first half.  For those miles it was me just really getting my head down - I didn't take in any of the sites - as we went through the Cutty Sark and out again it struck me that I hadn't even noticed the ship....

Mile 10 I spotted the Swiss flag and made sure I was on the right so could high 5 Malcs as I went past.  Looked like there were more spectators on that section than last year, which surprised me given the colder weather.

I was feeling really good to half way, which I went through in 1.34.17 (only 15 seconds off my HM PB!). It was quicker than I had planned, but I'm glad with hindsight that I banked some time. Still feeling OK going into docklands, but then things started to get tricky.  A few inclines were starting to hurt - particularly the route change where it looked like a proper hill at one point up to a roundabout, and then the switch-back 180 degree turn which was nasty.  Slowing to 7.30-7.40 pace but I knew as long as I kept that up I'd be fine. By around 20 miles my quads were really starting to hurt - left hamstring also really tight, and I just didn't want to cramp up.  Trying not to think about the pain - miles 21 and 22 seemed to take an age back down the highway. 

Started looking for Minni and thought I must have missed her - but then heard massive screaming my name and there she was image.  Gave me a lift going down into the city area.  Next point to look out for was the water station at mile 23 - my nephew was on duty there...we saw each other which was great, although I couldn't reach him to take a bottle from him.  Miles 24 and 25 were slow - 8.04 and 8.16....but looked at the pace band (the sub 3.15 one, I hadn't dared look at the sub 3.10!) for the first time and knew I still had a couple of minutes in hand. Picked up the pace again in the last mile and then came round Buckingham Palace - I went under the arch bridge that says 385 yards to go at a tad over 3.12 so I knew it was in the bag - once I rounded the corner and saw the clock I was just trying to push to the line - suddenly getting under 3.14 felt important! Crossed the line and got a bit emotional I have to say. 

A tap on the shoulder and Slowkoala introduced herself - as she says I was a bit dazed!

Got the medal, photo and t-shirt (technical with a choice of sizes - that has to be a first for VLM!). This year the green lorries were right down the far end closest to horseguards - nightmare as I really needed to lean on the railings but was starting to shiver so had to keep moving. Took forever to put trousers on! 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Eventually hobbled out onto the main road and to the Red Lion for a well needed shandy image.  I met up with my brother there who was feeling equally pleased with his 2.38....the 7th year running he's gone under 2.40, with times ranging from 2.35.x to 2.39.x which is amazing consistency!

Didn't stay long though - wanted to get home for some decent food - OH cooked a rib-eye steak image - and a glass or three of wine.  And I slept like a baby...

My legs are suffering, although I've had worse DOMS and hopefully will ease off in the next day or two. 

Next up for me is a 10 miler a week on Sunday - will do some gentle runs before then and then give it a blast.  Longer term I have Abingdon in the Autumn, but have already decided that won't be another PB attempt.  I really want to sort out my race pace strategy, and finally put two even paced halves together. I've never managed a negative split - the closest I've come is 2 minutes positive.  So Abingdon will be a chance to see if I can sort that, probably aim for 3.20-3.25 or thereabouts.  I also want to fit in some shorter races and get my HM and 10k PBs down - they are really looking soft now compared to my marathon!

Then it's the Champs start at VLM next year and try and give it another PB attempt.  See you there SK image

• Great to see you at the start line Tim- The needles in the haystack are easier to find when they're dressed in blue and donning a cape- How you ran sub 4 in that suit is incredible! 

Well done everybody involved- I'm still buzzing from completing my first of (hopefully) many marathons! And I'm still run-streaking, -on day number 372. Yesterday was my worst ever 3 mile run (unsurprisingly), falling back into my house, a broken man, in 40 minutes!

• Freemers you did so well, I love how there's always a story that the straight resut doesn't tell.

With you on the route tweak, although I didn't really register it, my brother who was going so much harder really did.
  • A huge congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend. Winners all in the marathon stakes, well done.

Have really enjoyed reading race reports, the tales of trials, tribulations and great timings: special mention to Freemers, Christian, Slowkoala, Angela, Fairyclogs and Tim, for providing some excellent lunchtime reading for the past two days. Great  stuff!

Tim and Fairyclogs much respect for your achievements so soon after Paris and Brighton. I don’t know how you guys managed it. A rest is well earned now.

Is there a new sub 3.15 thread in the making Tim? This one’s been brilliantly successful.

• Freemers - Great report, I was also in the Red Lion post race!

• VMLM 2015 Race Report! (Warning: this may be a long post…)

I guess the place to start with my race report is a small confession: I had 3 targets for London; Gold, Silver and Bronze. I’d read somewhere that it’s a good idea to have 3 goals as it stops you becoming totally fixated on one and potentially staves off disappointment. I’d adopted this strategy for London 2014 (my first marathon) and it worked well so I did the same again. My targets were: Gold – sub3:45 (a GFA qualifying time for VMLM 2016), Silver - sub3:50 (extra points in my club road race championships) and Bronze - sub4 (in all honesty, the only one that really mattered!). I knew when I set off that there was only a very slim chance of gold, a pretty small chance of silver, but a real chance of bronze.

However, this leads me to confession No.2! I know that the best marathon strategy is to pace it evenly, but I just felt that regardless of what pace I started as, it was almost inevitable I’d slow slightly in the last half/10K despite my successful long runs and carb load. I’m just such an inexperienced marathon runner that intuitively I felt the best strategy (for me) was to run with the 3:45 pacer for as long as I could (hopefully reaching 20miles with them), then just see what happened from there. I do know that I risked ‘blowing up’ in the second half, but this was always the pacing plan, right from the moment I found out I’d got a place in London back in November. I adopted this plan in 2014 (except it was run with the 4:15 pacer with the hope I’d get under 4:30) and it worked for me then so I decided to do the same again!

After a slight panic regarding my starting pen (they’d put me in pen7, not helpful when the 3:45 pacers were going to be in pen4!), I did manage to make my way to the 3:45 pacers and introduced myself to the lovely Andre before the start. He was so nice, chatting away to me and he really helped calm my nerves. I also got chatting to a lovely bloke called Jason who’d got a ballot place at his 1st attempt (lucky sod!). It was his 1st marathon and we made a pact to cross the finish line #handinhand if at all possible.

Miles 1-10
    It only took about 2 and half minutes to cross the start line this year (it was 13+ minutes from pen6 on Red last year!), which was a blessed relief as it was pretty chilly standing in the start pens. I certainly wasn’t complaining about this tho, it looked like we were on for perfect marathon running weather unlike you had Amy and Iain in Paris. I couldn't believe how congested it was for the 1st couple of miles, it was so much easier on the red start last year! It was impossible to hit the 8:35 pace required for a 3:45 marathon and I certainly had no intention of weaving in an out of people as I knew this would be fatal. Jason and I did manage to stick with the pacer but the 1st mile was only covered in 9:08 so there was already time to ‘make up’. I don’t know if it was the congestion, but I just couldn't get into my stride and I felt very uncomfortable for probably the first 10 miles. It’s hard to describe; it wasn’t that the pace was too fast or too slow, it just didn’t feel right and so many negative thoughts were circling my head. It just didn’t feel like it was going to be my day! Thankfully I managed to see my sister at my charity cheering point just after the 6 mile mark and that gave me a much needed boost, then the pure splender of the Cutty Sark came and went and I got another big lift from the amazing London crowds. Jason kept checking up on me and asking if I was ok; maybe I looked dreadful as Andre kept asking the same thing! It was nice to think that someone was looking out for me tho; I’m sure neithe

• was nice to think that someone was looking out for me tho; I’m sure neither of you will ever read this but I’m not sure I’d have survived those first 10 miles if it wasn’t for them, you guys rock!!!

Miles 10-14
    Due to the slow start, the pace seemed to quicken as we neared halfway and I started to drop off the back of the pacing group. Not by much at first, I ran miles 11, 12, 13 and 14 only 10-15 metres behind them, but by mile 14 they were starting to pull away gradually. I knew chasing them would be a mistake and as my watch was still saying an average pace of 8:36min/mile I decided to run my own race from now on.

Miles 14-20
    These miles can be summed up by one word (sorry everyone!), vomit! My pace started to drift slightly in miles 15, 16 and 17 despite me feeling ok in the legs and lungs. Despite doing a mental ‘once over’ I couldn't really work out why until I tried to take my next lot of fuel (3 shot blocs) at the 17 mile marker. I started chewing one and then just vomited totally without warning! I moved to the side, stopped and vomited 3 further times… This has never happened to me in training, but clearly my body had had enough of the Lucozade as about 300mls of it came right back up!!! A very kind lady at a water station asked me if I was ok and for a fleeting moment the thought flashed through my mind that I might not even finish, never mind achieve sub4… Thankfully when I straightened up I instantly felt better and set off running again. In fact I felt so good I accidently put in an 8:12min/mile for mile 19, oops! When I looked at my watch at 20miles it said 2hrs 55mins and at that point I was fairy sure I was going to achieve sub4. I was feeling strong and positive and knew that, barring complete disasters, I could do 10K in under 1hr 5mins.

Miles 20-25
    These 5 miles were the most fun I think I’ve ever had in any race ever!!! The crowds were sensational, I was passing people who were walking with every step, so many people where shouting my name and cheering me on and despite my pace slipping a bit again I didn't care, by 22 miles I knew that sub4 was going to be mine at the first attempt. I did have a look for the celebrities who were handing out the Lucozade at mile 23 but didn’t spot anyone I recognised, never mind! Coming out of the tunnel (where a DJ was playing Queen’s ‘Don’t Stop Me Now!’, perfect!) and up onto the Embankment was just so special; the wall of noise was incredible! It’s definitely moments like these that make London such a unique experience… Apparently my family were standing on the bridge near Charing Cross Station at the 40K point and were screaming my name but sadly in the wall of noise, I didn't see or hear them. My mum said after I was looking very determined at that point and that’s exactly how I felt! Oh well, at least they saw me…

Miles 25-26.2
    At the 25mile point my legs decided to protest, wildly!!! I wasn’t cramping but everything started to hurt, my quads, my calves, my hamstrings, my ankles, the lot! I was also fairly sure I was getting a nasty blister underneath my 2nd toe on my left foot as it was hurting to push off, but in all honesty I didn't care. Nothing indeed was going to stop me now! As I rounded the corner by the Victoria Memorial and sighted the finish line I nearly burst into tears and that last 200metres I felt like I was flying. I ran over the line #handinhand with a total stranger in a time of 3:52.48 and I literally felt like the happiest person in the world, sub4 was indeed mine…

• My splits were (for anyone that’s still reading this after my self-indulgent waffle): 9:08 (slow start!), 8:31, 8:24, 8:27, 8:35, 8:31, 8:33, 8:28, 8:29, 8:25, 8:35, 8:34, 8:32, 8:33, 8:46, 8:56, 8:54, 9:27 (stopped to vomit!), 8:12, 8:31, 8:58, 9:10, 9:10, 9:20, 9:31, 9:23, then 8:46 pace for the final 0.2!!! It was definitely a positive split (1:53.08 v 1:59.40) but this was kinda part of my plan so I’m happy with that; sub4 is still sub4 right, no matter how you go about it.

After collecting my medal and goody bag (love the technical T-Shirt this year, so much better than last year’s cotton ‘one size does NOT fit all’ offering), I headed to meet my family. I had one final lovely surprise; I bumped into Malcs who I’d met at bootcamp, so he was the first to congratulate me, bless him! In my excitement I totally forgot to congratulate him right back for getting 3:04 in the Llanelli Marathon the previous week, sorry Malcs! I met up with my family and the other 3 members of my club, for a team photo, then it was off to my charity reception for food and a much needed massage…

The London Marathon really is a race that every runner should experience at least once; it’s amazing!!! Thanks again for all the messages and support I’ve received on this forum; I genuinely don’t think I could have done it without you all… image

• Sorry fr the delay and not reading everyone elses yet- the connection is a bit slow.  So, cramp- I got it in my first marathon, and tried to identify all sorts of nutritional reasons for it- but in reality I was chronically undertrained.  The same happened in Berlin and in Halstead which was my third I hadn't missed any of my 5x per week runs in the lead up and still got cramp- despite electrolyte drinks chia seeDS supplements etc.

last year in Manchester was my first marathon at race pace I had no cramp- I had been strengrh training for about 6-8 months consistently in the lead up and even in the week before.  My legs and my core were just strong and I really don't think my doms is as bad as it still is now- I even ran london the following weekend to pace Rachel.

in my business I say the purpose of strength training is to make you a more resilient runner- this means injury prevention and correcting imbalances.  Quite tough to explain the science on here but if you are squating or lunging with 50%+ of your body weight, it challenges your motor units in such a way that they recruit better the next time, which is why you are able to lift heavier weights the following week or a few weeks later.  I have not done enough of this in this campaign and I noted a weakness in my right glute a couple months ago that I haven't worked on, so no wonder the rest of my right leg was taking extra load and one part/ my calf, wasn't strong enough to handle it- sorry to ramble, do pm me or contact me on my facebook page- I Run Success for more xx

• Sorry I haven't got round to reading everyone else's yet! Will read and reply tomorrow as off out with my OH now...
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Great report Freemers, I'm now craving a rib eye steak! It did feel funny introducing myself as 'Slowkoala' when my name was plastered all over my vest image

Angela, thanks for taking the time out to reply re cramping and stiffness. I'm not sure that it was cramp that I had at the end, my legs just felt very stiff and tight. But I've been rubbish and not done any strength training at all, it's always the chapter from P&D that I gloss through. I've always had a strong core but I think my legs are weak. I used to do Pilates and I think that helps, I just need to get the motivation to go. I also joined a community gym so that I could use the treadmill if it snowed - I should probably work out what all the machines are for. I'll look up your FB page for more tips image

Great report BRB and well done again for the big PB.
  • BRB amazing rollercoaster report - one of the 3:45 pacers didn't overtake me 'til we were coming off the IOD back through Poplar, and my first mile was at the same pace as yours, it's easy to get back though.
  • Congratulations everyone for a fantastic London Marathon! I have very much enjoyed reading all the reports and they have brought me back the appetite for running, which I had lost a bit in the last few days due to my injury.

Special congratulations to Tim for running your second marathon in two weeks and yet running London in less than 4 hours, costume included!!! And to Angela, for your Boston qualifier time and for completing an excellent marathon despite the tough conditions. It is amazing to see what you have achieved in just 2.5 years.

I was in the crowds but only for the first part of the marathon as I had to be in North London by mid-day. I saw the blind runners and those on wheelchairs. They are heroes and it gave me goosebumps to see them giving their best. The crowds were great and, although the weather was not so good as last year, the atmosphere was amazing. I think London Marathon is special and unique. I also saw some of the leading ladies and male runners. It's amazing to see the length of their stride and their running style, but sadly missed Paula Radcliffe and Superman.

I have a technical question regarding VLM 2016. The ballot will open on Monday 4 May and will close at 5 pm on Friday 8 May. As I read it, it will be opened from Monday to Friday, regardless the number of applicants, is that right? Or do you think the ballot will close earlier? I will be away on Monday 4 in Malcs-land, aka, Switzerland, and would be sad to miss it!!!

• WOW, I've finally found the time to sit down and read everyone's VMLM race reports! What a great day it seems everyone had; absolutely no one was shit, yay... Sorry I didn't make it to the bench in time; I'm blaming my sister as she is a Londoner but managed to mix up getting the tube versus the bus to Charing Cross so the journey took much longer than anticipated! We got there about 8:50ish but no one was there so after loitering for a couple of mins, I headed off to meet my club friends... Another year perhaps? I really hope so...

Freemers, 'A' goal achieved and a championship entry secured for next year! Huge congratulations, you must still be on a massive high. I totally agree with you re the route change tho; when I looked at the 'hill' up to the roundabout my heart sank, that wasn't easy! (And I live in the Peak District!) Plus that blooming hairpin bend really didn't help with keeping an even stride and rhythm. I'm not surprised you were emotional coming down the Mall, it's so well deserved!

Angela I; I've been a reader of your blog for a while now and you really are tough on yourself! What you've achieved in the last 2.5 years is simply incredible, you should be immensely proud! What you did on Sunday, getting a huge new PB and a BQ time was so richly deserved and I hope you're now in a place where you can celebrate that achievement. What an exciting year you're going to have next year... Boston here you come!

Loved, loved, loved your race report Slowkoala! Like RR said, it's the stories behind the times that are so intriguing. Congratulations to you too on a championship entry for next year. There'll be no more dodging celebs for either you or Freemers, that must be a huge relief! I can totally identify with the 'loo queue' pic; a damn photographer snapped me there last year too; there really is no need! Miscalculating the distance to go at 800m made me giggle too; my brain wasn't functioning at all at that point either. (Thanks for the congrats message too, although I can assure you that I definitely didn't find achieving sub4 easy!)

Sean R5, you totally smashed that sub3:30 target, brilliant running! Puffsta, top run from you too! And Christian 1975, a 17 minute PB, woo hoo!!! That's a tremendous achievement given all the negative chatter you had going on in your head. It's definitely sub3:30 for you next time I'm sure!

How on earth can you run 2 super quick marathons in 2 weeks Fairyclogs?!?!? 5 mins quicker in the second is some achievement, congratulations! What an inspiring performance. I was wondering what you did to recover so quickly?

I've said it on sub4 Amy's thread, but I'll say it again on here: brilliant running RR to sneak under 4 hours so soon after surgery! Your comment re dodging celebs, bottle, elbows and the delirious really made me giggle as it's so true...

You have most definitely got more in you Ruffles! Brilliant work on the negative split there, that's definitely something to be very proud of and something that's so hard to achieve. Congratulations... Hope your legs have just about recovered now!

To ktkt too, I've also said my congrats on Amy's thread; you've soooooo got to go for sub3:30 next time! I'm so sorry to hear about your boss, it's so nice tho that he got to hear about your run and the time you posted... Thoughts are with you. image

Hey peter chapman 148, nice of you to post. Congratulations on your GFA time! Same again next year for you, yay... I couldn't agree with you more; the Asics262 challenge really is so inspiring isn't it! Maybe you should apply next year...

• Charles Henderson, it's so great to see a fellow bootcamper smash out an amazing performance! 3:07 in your first marathon is some achievement! Guess that's a GFA time for you too, congratulations... Plus what a runstreak! Where will it stop??!?!?! Sensational... Will you reapply for the sub3 category again next year? I definitely think you should!

Last, but by no means least, SupermanRuns Tim; what can I say!?!?!? I do always look at the people running in fancy dress and think 'you must be bonkers' and your race report has done nothing to change my opinion! I personally love a bit of bonkers tho... Running a sub4 marathon whilst carrying round a few extra pounds of your own sweat in a Superman costume is just brilliant!!! I can only imagine the looks you got carrying a suit bag through the entrances, just genius... As I was running I kept hearing shouts of "Come on Superman!" and was looking round me to see if it was you, but they were all just poor imitations of the real thing! Looking at our finish times (time of day that is), I must have passed you somewhere between the 40K point and the finish. I can't believe I didn't spot you or hear the cheers!!! That's so annoying as I'd have loved to have crossed the line #handinhand with you, never mind... Glad you got to meet up with Ruffles at the end tho, how fantastic... (Btw, I really hope your friend is ok...) So what's the plan from here? Will you be targeting sub3:15 in NYC? Hey, if Malcs can do it at his autumn marathon post asics262, I'm damn certain you can!image

• BRB love the summary - I have been feeling tired today so haven't been terribly communicative.

I started reading Fast After Fifty by Joe Friel - am loving the ideas and the energy!
  • Great right up BRB! Am so pleased you managed to enjoy the race in the second half, it really is very special!!

Sub 3.45 next time?