Longest Day (Ironman) 2004 - Carl's thread

Comments

• Pretty good compared to me, my longest non stop Front Crawl was about 400m b4 I had to stop due to shoulder, had first visit at Physio last week so hopefully he'ss dort me out.

What I did last week (w/c 1/12/03)

Just 3 6 mile runs (Mon, Tue & Thur),

only did that much as was to busy to fit anything else in, plus was a bit knackered from previous hard week.
  • Grrr

Well this week is another right-off, has Gastro Interitis (if thats how you spell it) since Mon, still recovering.

Had antered Grt Barford 1/2 Marathon on Sun but even if im feeling better by the weekend I dont think ill risk it.

Think its time to take stock, recover properly and hit the training in the new year feeling fresh.
  • Hope you recover soon Carl.

I am just getting over a knee injury. (think it was caused by running up and down hills) Built up yet again and did 10+ miles on Sunday around Llyn Brenig (North Wales). Felt fine, but last night ran with club and now pain in my tibia(had that before too). So once again its back to the pool and bike till its right.

Maybe an idea to locate a 'masters swim session' if you have one locally. Usually get some good advice n training.
    Keep you posted on how things are going or not for TLD 2004.

• I don`t want to discourage n e 1, especially CB, but after reading these threads,I`ve got to say, CB, aim for 2005.
  • I disagree. The ironman is a mental thing (in both senses). If Carl wants to get to the end enough, he will. And anyway, he's still got plenty of time to get his training back on line.

BB
  • Well I am sure that with a bit of inspiration you will get there. TLD was my second Tri and after reading Chris Moon's book I was sure that if he could do what he did, then I could get around the course in the cut off time.

I took this from his book and had it pasted on my workstation - and whenever I was doubtful I tried to employ the philosophy contained within it.

"The Arena":
    "It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." T.R. (Paris Sorbonne, 1910)
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    There was a good book advertised in 220 last month re:training for long distance tri's. Dropped a few hints to my folks so expect to find it on xmas day.....being highly presumptious!

Must say it's good to pop in to threads like this occasionaly and read the chat from people who have completed the full distance. You make it sound like it's no big deal. And thats just how I want to approach it. I can talk like this now because it's 7 months away. You wait til July 17th, I will be kegging-it!
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Ive already had my entry for LD confirmed and the £140 has been cashed.

I will start come what may and I have the determination to do all the training I can (the mental side is another matter but only LD will test my will beyond my known limits).

I know im climbing a massive hill to achieve even completing the course but I will try and if I fail I'll be back again and again until I do finish.

LD is a means to an end for me, in achieving my original goal which I set out on 18/7/03 i.e. lifestyle change and to get fit. Whateve happends on LD 2004 I will have broken all my immidiate objectives and hopefully suprised a lot of people.

The more times im told I can't do something the more determination I have to succeed.

I will prevail.

PS. Gastro Interitis now well on the way to recovery.

• Alan

Im going to print that quote "The Arena" and put it up all over the place -

excellent.
  • Well it inspired me. I used to road race till mid 20's but struggled to get back into shape. If its any help, I only started training in the February following a bet in work. Been at it ever since.

Found a lot of Triathletes at TLD finish their event and come to the run to cheer you on. My kind of people.
  • Ive finsished my draft training plan (for the 25 or so weeks left until Longest Day).

If anyone would be so kind as to volunteer to look at it (im sure it needs adjusting lol) please email me and I will send it you as a Word or Excel attachment.

Carl1969uk@btinternet.com
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    oooo - forgotten about this one! I'd like a look, but just to be nosy...

wonder if Daz got his book...

[pads off in search of the blond boy]
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    carl, can i have a look at your training plan when it's ready. I'm very much in the dark as to what to do by week and micro-cycle.

ive set a few little tragets to help get nmy head around it - 5k swim at swimathon, paris marathon (if ankles ok) and a few ton bike rides after that. but no idea how to piece the training together
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Daz, email me your email address or post it here (my email is Carl1969uk@btinternet.com).

News Update…..

Bought my bike today, got a Cannondale R800, had the wheels upgraged free to Mavic Ksyrium Elite as id heard the factory wheels were a bit heavy and needed truing quite often. I got the bike from Total Fitness Nottingham and must say how totally impressed I was with the service, they spent knickocking on for 2 hours making sure the fit and everything else (from cleets to Tri Bars) was all set up and comfortable. Now the hard work starts………

This weeks training – im getting back slowly after a 4 week lay-off.

Mon – 5 mile run (very slow and it hurt).
    Tue – 15 mile nike (Gym – ave 21mph, 41 mins) & 40 min swim (still suffering with shoulder).
    Wed – Gym work but no speedwork as knees a bit sore.
    Thur – 8.5 mile run (very easy – 1hr 10min)
    Fri – Rest (hangover)
    Sat – Rest
    Sun – Was planning a 13 mile easy run but think ill ride my shiny new bike (planning a 2 hour ride).
  • if you are using clipless pedals and tri bars for the first time i wouldn't do it on a public road, or your tri career and indeed your life might be quite short
  • Can i have a looksie at the training program as well? Much like JJ I'm being nosey as I have no idea of what is required of triathlon and beyond
  • If anyone want my plan email me (addy is two posts above)

Geeze, I wish id read your advice about public roads before I went out……. Im back safe but only by the skin of my teath. Milton Keynes is particularly bad because there are islands everywhere, plus the speeds are a lot faster, most of the roads are straight and though the speed limit is 60 or 70 you often find people doing well over that.

Anyway im home safe, did about an hour, it was harder than I thought and my fingers nearly fell off despite Gortex Wind Stopper gloves (have to get some better ones me thinks). The handlebars felt a little bit far forward ill percivier but may need to adjust something or get a different seat post. Think I should have gone for the 56cm fram instead of the 58cm but guess its to late now.
  • you'll get used to it

how tall are you?
  • your training seems to be going well at the moment carl

A lot better than mine whic im just tryinging to get back into after over 32 month off - it'll be a miricle if i make TLD

Good luck mate
  • Andy, im 6ft 1inch. Inside leg is about 32inch.

In the shop they had me try the 56cm and 58cm, I felt better of the 56cm but somewhere during setting up the bike, swapping wheels etc im not sure if the frames may have got mixed up as when I got it home I noticed it was 58cm.

I was considering going back but as its an 80mile drive to Nottingham and it’ll take them an hour to swap everything over im half inclined to stick with it (its only 2cm after all). It doesn’t feel to bad just a bit far forward though again im not used to riding a road bike so it probably is normal. Let me know what you think, is that size ok for my height?
  • Are you back in training yet Will, hows it going?
  • had 2 runs last week just about 4 mile each (including 1 in a blizzard)

Will get back into the pool this week

then im off snowboarding for a week which should help rebuild my b ase fitness
  • ah, makes sense - i'm 6 foot 1 but 34 inside leg, just got professionally fitted and ordered a 60 cm frame

is it so bad you cant live with it? if so i'd take it back now and cause a fuss about their mix up

or lower the seat a centimetre?

mind you, all that said, WildWill is 6 foot 7 tall and he rides a barbie tricycle
  • Yep but iv took offf the stabilizers now
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    oi!

[snatch]

they're mine.
  • Will - seen my bike wot i ordered friday??

lol - there's only one on sale in the world at the moment apparently (made to order), they are shipping it over from the states

http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/2004/road/timetrial/equinox11.php

drool drool etc

you might see it screeching past you in florida (obviously i'll have to catch up after the swim first)
  • Im still holding back on buying the giant carbon - untill i see if i cn get myself sorted
  • oh, carl - why dont you stick to turbo trainer sessions for a week or so until you get comfortable with it?
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    6'1" - 34 inside leg
    6'1" - 32 inside leg

5'5" - 29 inside leg.

[scratches head]

I have an idea for a thread...

• Think ill give it another test ride next week and I may give them a ring for some advice / highlight the mix up.