RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Well, for my unconventional training I suppose that constituted a result.  Since last June my road racing has consisted of 1xHM, one x10K, 1x4 miles and 2x20 miles, with a long stretch off for a broken rib.  Just to keep things simple I did no intervals, no MLRs and apart from the 20 mile races no long runs.  You can see why I wasn't expecting much image  In my defence I have done a load of off-road ultras and other shorter distances, but none at any sort of pace.

For this reason I was neither excited nor nervous about the  marathon and in fact at times it just felt like something to get done and off the ever-lengthening 'to do' list - which I think actually worked in my favour.  I did make the big mistake however of setting myself a bit of a soft target - sub 4 if possible, but sub 4.15 to avoid slitting my wrists.

Excellent night's sleep before the race, which generally means I am lacking ambition, and an easy journey to the start.  At least for me cold, damp conditions are near perfect and could lead to me heading off too quick, so I was determined to avoid that if humanly possible [although history shows that I have said this every year and never taken  a blind bit of notice]

Good to catch up with everyone at the green start - unlike 2Old I didn't make it to the front of the loo queue in time and abandoned 10 minutes before the start, being still some way back - luckily I can't have needed to go after all image  Pen 5 was a bit strange, the 3.45 pacer and 4.00 hour pacer were practically side by side so I decided to try and stick with the 3.45 pacer for as long as possible to stop myself from charging off too fast.  This worked a treat as he was very steady and by 10 miles we were about 35 seconds ahead of schedule.  It was a small group so easy enough to keep close, although if you did drop back it was a nightmare to try and get back with the crowds around you.

Having a few people to chat to and something to focus on made the miles go quickly and before I knew it we were over Tower Bridge and heading for half way.  Usually I am starting to die at this stage having hammered the first 6 miles or so, but this time I still felt good and was beginning to think I might have a shout of sub 3.50 if I could hang on to the group until 20 miles.

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

It all started to go a bit pear shaped between 14 and 16 miles when we left the Highway and the streets got much narrower.  A couple of the group felt he had put in a couple of fast miles [I certainly thought so] and it was now really hard to catch up if you stopped to grab a drink.  By 15 miles I was having to speed up and weave round people to stay in contact and I realised that this was never going to work as a strategy so just concentrated on trying to run an even pace.  The group were still not more than 100 yds ahead as we went through Canary Wharf, where my niece and her mates spotted me and gave me a boost with their raucous shouts.  Was slowing but still going pretty well until 19 miles where it all started to go a bit pear shaped and the lack of distance running at any sort of speed started to take its toll.

The pace was dropping off and I lost sight of the pace group and mentally at this point I just settled for sub 4, having banked enough time in the first 15 miles to make this eminently doable.  I'm cross now as I could have stuck with the group for longer if I had glued myself to the side of the pacer - but we learn by our mistakes.  From 20 on it was just as bad as it always is and I was fairly sure Minni and co would have gone to the pub long before I arrived. Fortunately the Macmillan cheer points kept me going, but I felt I could have gone a bit quicker if I had set a tougher target.   The problem with doing a race as often as I have done London is that you know exactly what is to come and where it is going to hurt most. 

Pleased to cross the line and a time of 3.55.59 was better than I deserved after the [lack of] proper training image  The fact that I felt absolutely fine schlepping down to the baggage van and walking round to the Macmillan reception tells me I didn't push myself hard enough.  Massage, change of clothes and off to the pub to meet the rest of the running club.  I didn't even get a drink though because it was really warm and crowded and I realised i was in danger of 'doing a Norwich' [you had to be there image.  Headed back for a shower and then took my niece out for dinner - the distance we had to walk to the restaurant is proof of how little she knows about marathon running image

Slept incredibly badly last night and was up early to do my daily 5k of exercise in Regents Park before drifting back to Bristol.

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Got interrupted there by BA demanding to be fed image

Great PBs from Freemers, 2Old, Nell and Carrot - I am in awe. I certainly lack your determination.

Nell / 2Old - you might like this exchange chez O4S.

Me: met Nell and 2Old at the green start

BA: blank stare 'Who'

Me: couple of guys from Team Minni - they looked nothing like I imagined they would

BA: I'm going to stop you right there, I really don't want to think what you might have imagined. Anyway, just think of the fright they must have got image

First post race alcohol tonight - wondering if my toenails will oblige by falling off before I have to do 20 miles on Saturday. I can't actually believe I agreed to do this image

Great T shirts aren't they - even XS on offer! 

So who is on for next year??????????

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI o4s Great report. I was telling my wife your time and she was in awe! I seriously think you should have a camera catching your conversations with BA, better than Gogglebox I reckon! image

HI 2old, Super report. and your splits are really pretty on the ball, they look as though you had a pretty good timed race to me! Really pleased for you.

To be honest I was expecting London to be harder than it was, that is why I went off a bit harder from what people had said. I suppose it did me a favour. I will see how I come back from London and how the training goes over the next 4 weeks before I make a call on my tactics for Edinburgh.

Next year o4s? You know, I think I could be persuaded image and yes nice small T-Shirts, bonus!

• Hi guys! Excellent, excellent running from everyone, what a day it was!

Amazing PBs from Free, Carrot, 2Old and Nell. You are all sooo speedy! It was great to catch up with some of you at the green start and others at Chandos and it was great to at last meet 2Old and Nell.

My aim was to have a good steady training run and aim for around 3.33-3.35 to make sure that I can get straight back into comrades training. I thought it was going to be great to do it for once without the pressure and enjoy the experience but I must admit that I found having to hold back so much rather frustrating and don't think I would want to do this again in such a big race.

I did VLM 2 years ago but I must say I found it a lot busier this year- not sure if it's just because I was more aware of what was going on around while going at a more relaxed pace or maybe it's all those ultras and off road maras I've done in the last few months... but I must say I've definitely decided lower key events are the way to go for me in the future. The noise was overwhelming at times and it felt like a bit of a circus to be perfectly honest.image

I managed to stick to around my target pace (of just over 8mm) for the majority of it until the last 4 miles where I just couldn't help myself and let go a bit. As a result the stats show that in the last 7km I passed 791 runners and only 7 passed me... lol. This would never happen under normal circumstances! Finished in comfortable 3.31.30.

The legs feel back to normal today and managed 10m into work this morning with no issues so I guess sticking to the plan has paid off.

Pembrokeshire 35m ultra this Saturday and almost time for comrades taper after that...image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Bro- great to meet you. Very disciplined marathon . It must have been so hard keeping to that pace..you are going to do brilliantly on Sunday and at Comrades. It must have felt so good passing all those I front of you 

Nell- I'm intrigued how 3.06 became 2.57. I dnot have your speed but wonder how near 3 I might get. I did a HM of 1.26 in 2013 before injuring myself 10 days prior to VLM. Would you share your schedule? Enjoy the ice baths .

O4S- my family found it odd that I had a virtual running club and that it and reality coincided on Sunday. I'm just wondering what you expected of Nell and Iimage. Any way good see that the London diversion is over and your mind is on bigger/ tougher things. Really enjoyed your report too

Barry- any improvement of your injury? 

I'm  suffering from mega DOMS at the moment but don't really care. I went for a swim today and ended up in the outdoor pool ..very chilly ...as there was something unpleasant floating indoors image

Im a bit sad...now watching the recording of BBCs London marathon programme . Can't think of a better way of spending a few hours. You can see runners dashing to the hedges for a pee just after the start .image

• 2old - Brilliant pacing, that is very well raced and a great result,  You've had your niggles through the campaign but come through them with a great PB,  very well done to you.

Brol - nice controlled race and loved the last 7K stat, 10 miles yesterday and 35 this weekend,  you are getting to levels of O4S madness.image

O4S -Given your doubts of running it  and "lack of"proper training, that is a very good result for you but it was never in doubt because of who you are and you never cease to amaze me. Congrats. Hopefully I'll make it next year.

I saw physio Monday and has given me some exercise to do, can swim and bike if it doesn't irritate but no running for 2 weeks. Pain comes and goes sometimes OK sometimes can't walk properly on it.  2.6k with pull buoy yesterday.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Bro, Yes, great to meet you, and I hope you warmed up? Well done on sticking to your intended pace, that must have been hard but very wise. You can be forgiven for a little bit of a surge at the end. I would have like to have seen the look on folks faces as you came pulsing through!  image

Good luck with the 35m ultra.

Hi 2old, Hope the DOMS have eased off? I think there is no doubt you could trim that time. 

I am also intrigued how 3:06 became 2:57, totally unexpected. After speaking to folk about the London marathon, I had built it up to be a harder course than I actually in the end experienced. I thought the second half would be tougher than it was. I think on Sunday, for me the conditions were just right and I felt really good once I thawed out after the start!

I am not sure whether it is just natural progression or the Hansons plan that has helped me. Hopefully both. I, like you never really got on with the P+D plan and I got a bit bored with the RW plan. The last two marathons I have used a 12 week plan (although I think York ended up 11!) from Hansons and that has been just right. I find I can recover from the weekend runs easier and that gives me more to give in the midweek sessions. You do feel on the edge of tipping as you get into the plan, but that is the idea , I guess. Message me your email address 2old and I will send over the plan.

Hi Barry,  Glad the physio is sorting you out. At least you can fall back on the cycling and swimming meantime? Fingers crossed you will be back to full strength soon.

Sunday and Monday night, serious DOMS, last night things seemed to ease off a bit. My left foot has been aching on the outer side, I think this is just down to the repetitive impact on Sunday. There is no bruising and I iced last night which seemed to ease things, so will continue with that. The Type A6 are pretty lightweight, so I expected a bit of soreness.

• Great reports guys... Still sulking that i wasn't there!image

Has anyone run the Richmond PArk marathon? 

I'm thinking of running it with a couple of club mates that Brighton also didn't go to plan for. Would appreciate any feedback.

• Freemers you did FANTASTIC on Sunday, I knew you'd get that sub-3:15 image So happy for you, very much deserved Championship start next year! Love the photo going up The Mall. Well done to your speedy brother too image A week of rest will do some good, you might just surprise yourself at that 10M race at the weekend.

2old that is a superb time, you really deserve it. After all of your injury woes it's great to see it all coming together. My piriformis was KILLING me after the run on Sunday but it held up during!

AA you are an absolute machine! TWO sub-3:30 performances in less than a week.... it was only a few years ago that was our gold star target, one that we put 16 weeks of graft in for, that we then tapered, carb loaded, and stuck to the pacing plan for, something we had to dig so deep for during the run - and now you've done two in six days! Amazing, HUGE respect for you image

Nell I KNEW you'd get that sub-3, you've really worked hard for this and fully deserve to achieve that milestone. Hard work pays off, going from 3:06 to 2:57 in less than a year is scary! I think you're just scratching the surface of your potential, this is just the start.

O4S you are the definition of determination, brilliant result and yes the t-shirts are awesome.

Brolish I can imagine London is pretty frustrating when it's only a training run! Great stats at the end of the race I don't blame you for going for it! And 10M yesterday just goes to show how well your training is going. Best of luck for the ultra this Saturday. Not long now image

Well done on your PB kfc, you should be happy with that. 3:15 will come, have faith! Less of a chunk to knock off now tooimage

Barry I'm so sorry you had to pull put so last minute, gutted for you when you've been running so well but lets hope you have a speedy recovery, an even speedier summer, and a good strong build up for next year. I heard a few people shouting my name along the Embankment and it really, really helped! Hope the two weeks of now running does the trick.

Oompa that was indeed me getting my half second of fame at the start... can't really miss our club kit!

Love the Green Start photo. Love the ABS on Brolish! Love the technical t-shirt, so much better than a minidress! Loved the course, the medal, the obstacle course of discarded bottles, the whole weekend. Love the way you always think 'NEVER AGAIN!!!' when you're running the damn thing then as soon as you're finished you're planning next yearimage
  • So my version of events:

Sunday morning arrived and Parsnip and I made our way across to Blackheath. He was going from the FGFA so had to go to Blackheath with me. This was the first time I'd run from the Championship start and it was a great experience, you had to walk through the Blue start area which was like a festival with music blasting, people everywhere and huge queues for the toilets. At the entrance to the Championship area the marshalls checked my number then my running vest and shorts - you have to wear club colours and aren't allowed any big logos on any of your kit. I was then let into the area which seemed deserted compared to what I'd just walked through. There were two big changing tents and loads of portaloos with not a queue in sight! There was also a long stretch of road available for people to warm up. I knew a few of the other women at the start, including Sarah who Minni mentored a few years ago! It helped knowing a few others as it meant it was a bit less intimidating.

We were soon being walked up to the front of the Blue start, right behind the Elite Men, with what was probably ten thousand people behind us held back by a chain of marshals. The people behind us were in the front pen of Blue -basically a crowd of lean, mean, menacing looking men straining to get past the mashals and to the front! The Elite Men were announced, Paula was announced, then the gun fired and we were off.

It took no time at all to get across the start, then it was time to stick to the game plan. I'd planned to run the first couple of miles slightly slower than my target pace, which went to plan, as that downhill bit at mile 3 means you easily make up the time with no effort. Saw Freemers looking fit and strong, had a bit chatter then we got back to our race plans. I got quite a few 'Go Carrot!' (obviously not but my actual name) - but it's so hard to see who has shouted for you.

Tower Bridge at just after 12 miles is always special, then you get to the slightly undulating highway. There was a slight headwind going along here, which was good as you come back in the opposite direction from around 21-23 miles so it would be behind you coming back. I passed halfway as planned in 1:33:xx and felt really good. Entered the Docklands which had a few quieter bit, then onto Canary Wharf. Did anyone else notice that nasty little climb at 19 miles?!

By 20M I was still running strong and really enjoying it, I'd had a few passing moments where it was hard but that always happens, you have to just try to stay focussed and trust that you'll come through the other side.

I passed the 23 marker and the clock was on 2:45:02, I thought of Parsnip, I knew what his target was and hoped he would be finished. I was feeling great until the 24 mile marker, I kept focussing on the Millenium Eye in the distance, I felt good but a glance at my watch showed my pace had dropped despite me keeping the effort level up. I looked again a few seconds later as I didn't know if it was accurate or not, and tried pushing on a bit harder. 25 miles eventually came, Big Ben is now up ahead. People were passing me now, my pace was still not back to where it had been, my quads and calves were cramping and threatening to pack in completely. I did NOT want a repeat of Sunderland Marathon a few years ago (when I ended up sat next to the 26 mile marker, unable to get up!) so just concentrated on a few hundred metres at a time. Buckingham Palace appeared, The Mall appeared, the finish line appeared ahead. I passed the 385 yards to go sign (aka 26 miles) and my legs wobbled even more! I felt like I was running through treacle, every time I tried to surge forward a bit quicker my legs screamed at me. I passed under the finish gantry and my legs gave in, I had to grab the barrier to stop from hitti
  • So my version of events:

Sunday morning arrived and Parsnip and I made our way across to Blackheath. He was going from the FGFA so had to go to Blackheath with me. This was the first time I'd run from the Championship start and it was a great experience, you had to walk through the Blue start area which was like a festival with music blasting, people everywhere and huge queues for the toilets. At the entrance to the Championship area the marshalls checked my number then my running vest and shorts - you have to wear club colours and aren't allowed any big logos on any of your kit. I was then let into the area which seemed deserted compared to what I'd just walked through. There were two big changing tents and loads of portaloos with not a queue in sight! There was also a long stretch of road available for people to warm up. I knew a few of the other women at the start, including Sarah who Minni mentored a few years ago! It helped knowing a few others as it meant it was a bit less intimidating.

We were soon being walked up to the front of the Blue start, right behind the Elite Men, with what was probably ten thousand people behind us held back by a chain of marshals. The people behind us were in the front pen of Blue -basically a crowd of lean, mean, menacing looking men straining to get past the mashals and to the front! The Elite Men were announced, Paula was announced, then the gun fired and we were off.

It took no time at all to get across the start, then it was time to stick to the game plan. I'd planned to run the first couple of miles slightly slower than my target pace, which went to plan, as that downhill bit at mile 3 means you easily make up the time with no effort. Saw Freemers looking fit and strong, had a bit chatter then we got back to our race plans. I got quite a few 'Go Carrot!' (obviously not but my actual name) - but it's so hard to see who has shouted for you.

I passed halfway as planned in 1:33:xx and felt really good. Entered the Docklands which had a few quieter bit, then onto Canary Wharf. Did anyone else notice that nasty little climb at 19 miles?!

By 20M I was still running strong and really enjoying it, I'd had a few passing moments where it was hard but that always happens, you have to just try to stay focussed and trust that you'll come through the other side.

I passed the 23 marker and the clock was on 2:45:02, I thought of Parsnip, I knew what his target was and hoped he would be finished. I was feeling great until the 24 mile marker, I kept focussing on the Millenium Eye in the distance, I felt good but a glance at my watch showed my pace had dropped despite me keeping the effort level up. I looked again a few seconds later as I didn't know if it was accurate or not, and tried pushing on a bit harder. 25 miles eventually came, Big Ben is now up ahead. People were passing me now, my pace was still not back to where it had been, my quads and calves were cramping and threatening to pack in completely. I just concentrated on a few hundred metres at a time. Buckingham Palace appeared, The Mall appeared, the finish line appeared ahead. I felt like I was running through treacle, every time I tried to surge forward a bit quicker my legs screamed at me. I passed under the finish gantry and my legs gave in, I had to grab the barrier to stop from hitting the floor. Managed to stop my watch a few seconds later - watch time was 3:10:01. Got my 'official' time a while later which, a little frustratingly, was only showing gun time of 3:10:16 - something to do with the championship start runners only getting gun time. It was updated yesterday to 3:09:58 image

Parsnip ran 2:45:19!!!
  • Sorry for the double post folks!
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Carrot - great report, and even better that it turned out to be a sub 3.10....it was a brilliant time anyway but somehow that 3.09.xx sounds so much nicer image.  When I saw you you just looked really relaxed and calm, telling me (and yourself!) to stick to the plan. Well, you definitely did that, just fantastic image  And Parsnip too, just amazing...both of you have improved in bucket loads over the last year or two....must be getting married that did the trick image

How are people feeling today....my quads and calves are still a bit tight but apart from that I feel pretty good.  I am booked in for a massage on Saturday and will probably run on Sunday, only 5 or 6 miles though as a loosener.  It's funny that in previous years I have been itching to run about now after a marathon. This year I'm not really, just sticking to the plan (again!). 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Great run Carrot, I enjoyed reading the report. Was Parsnip disappointed to just miss sub 2.45?   Team Minni will be packing the Champs start next year image

I walked my three or four miles on Monday and Tuesday, but had to remove a couple of toenails yesterday, so opted for 15 miles of hills and intervals in a spin class. Had a massage Tuesday as we leave for a walking/running holiday after lunch today. Just heading out on my bike to do a few jobs - my legs feel fine so I obviously didn't push hard enough, but keeping an eye on the main target in 3 weeks. We will be walking the whole of the 100 mile route during the holiday to make sure there are no navigational horrors lying in wait on the night section, plus a few 'joining up' bits to make circular routes. I think BA will be trying to ensure I don't run too much image

• Great report Carrot- you absolutely smashed it!

Oompa- I haven't done the Richmond marathon but have done a half and do my long runs around it almost every Sunday. What do you need to know? It's not a fast course by all means, all off road (although on well maintained paths) and with some mean hills thrown in. I am not sure how many laps you end up doing but I'm guessing quite a few as it's 7.5m in circumference... 

• Thanks Brol... I think! image

Hills and laps... Not my cup of tea at the moment as quads are STILL not quite strong enough to power up hills like i used to (of course if i got off my arse and did some hill reps, this may help), and i've always hated races that involve laps!image

May have to investigate somewhere else to put the Brighton demons to bed, as i think i'm now officially the slowest member of this thread!image

• Oops, nearly forgot, great report Carrot.image If you missed the time you were aiming at, but still came in with a 3.09, what was your A target???image Super speedy regardless, and Parsnip getting a 2.45 is something us mere mortals can only dream of!

• Evening all

Loved the reports. Its therapy to write them! 

O4S - enjoy your holiday. You nailed London and as you said, your 100 miler is the goal.

Carrot - brilliant report, that time is unbelievable. And pushing through the pain at the end to get there shows how mentally strong you are too.

Freemers - you looked and sounded so strong on the start line. It was never in doubt for me, I knew you would do it.

2old & Nell, just amazing runs from you both. Positive all the way.

Bro - just looking at you on Sunday made me feel cold!! Glad you're fully recovered after 20 minutes (!) and up for your 35 miler this weekend!

Oomps - man up and go smash out your sub 3:15!!

So, my turn...

Managed to get soaking wet socks walking across from the FGFA to the Party start so had to change into my non marathon running socks I had with me for afters! Met up with Freemers, O4S, Bro, Nell & 2old. Usual winging about layers and how cold I was... Toilet, bag dump and off to line up behind the tape with the celebs. They managed to remember to remove the tape between us and the celebs with @10 seconds to spare...nice one!!!
    My plan was to set off @8 min miling and try and hold on for as long as my body would let me. Having run 2.5 miles since Boston I was a little concerned to say the least. Got to 4 miles and felt a calf twinge. I pushed out all negative thoughts about stupidity. Saw my son @tower bridge and almost missed him. Pushed on along the Highway and hammy started to tighten. I drew on my Boston confidence and steady splits. I was still knocking out @7:51 a mile. I hate the Isle of Dogs. Reached this point and its normally a hell of a lot hotter than it was on Sunday. My miles started to slow as my calf and hammy got stiffer. I had a bad few miles 18-20 but managed to pull a bit back a bit. I put out of my head that it was only 6 days since I had run a marathon and didn't want that to be a reason to stop me. A few times a felt a bit dizzy so took my spare gel @21 miles.Looked out for Minni, couldn't see her.  Saw Mr AA @23.5 miles, gave him my gloves and headband and checked my watch. I then thought I could actually try and get under 3:30 thinking it had slipped from me. Up onto Embankment and head for home. I was running really flat footed at this stage as my legs were properly mashed. Kept pushing all the way to the end thinking of you all out there aiming for your own goals and hoping you had got them.  Turned the corner and knew I had done it.
    To be honest, a few weeks ago I wouldn't have believed anyone saying I could do 2 sub 3:30s at Boston and London. Still a bit in shock about it. Having said that, I have never, ever felt so sore and so tired for this long after a marathon. The soles of my feet are still so bad. The muscle ache has almost gone. Might try a slow shuffle with the dogs tomorrow but will see if I'm any better first. And no....I couldn't run 26.2 miles this Saturday! image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

AA - love your report, especially the way you zipped it up in the last couple of miles to get back under 3.30 image....I'd forgotten about the tape at the start, those marshals were the ultimate jobs-worths! I honestly thought the gun was going to go and we'd have to break through the tape ourselves!

Still no inclination to run yet. Just eating a lot!

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

12 miles done today, mix of running and walking off-road. 20 has to be done tomorrow as we are sweeping part of the Marshals 100 mile event ( and getting in a sneaky recce for the main event in three weeks. Toes a little sore were I pulled the nails off but otherwise all good. Aiming for 120 miles plus this week.

AA: please tell me your secret - bribes are available image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Carrot- congrats on your shiny new pb. As Oomp said what was your A target as that was a cracker for a B! Parsnip is not human. Well done to him but he better watch out as you're catching up. I wonder had you raced a little less in the run up you might have hit your A target? But what do I know you have younger legs than me. Excellent report. 

AA- you are a running machine with a mind as tough as granite? Seems like it from your race report. Brilliant stuff. I loved the irreverent way you approached Sunday....jobsworthimageWhose David Hemmery?imagePush the celebs out of the wayimageBreak the tapeimageEtc. Glad you ignored the championship start. Thought you were going to have a melt down at the prospect of having to wear non marathon socks but you showed real fortitude enduring the race with regular running socks. 

Carrot/AA/Free- pity you are all at the championship start next year looks like we are going to have to recruit new members to the greenstart club. 

O4S- well done getting stuck  into the mega mileage immediately. Your body is tougher than mine despite what you say 

Free- I haven't run yet either. My mind is getting there but my body is resisting 

Barry- glad you're allowed to cycle and swim. You'll soon be back running. 

Oomp - Liverpool Marathon 14th June has the prospects of a pb race....how about it ?

Bro- have fun in Pembroke. Lovely sandy beaches and clear water ...not that you'll have time to enjoy them looking down from the coastal run along the cliffs and dunes. 

tally so far this week is 2 Swims and an hour spinning. May swim later and YKW tomorrow.(easy ). Making up for my recent alcohol abstinence too. Signed up for 2 triathlons and debating a HM in June too

how about a list of forthcoming races?  

• AA & Carrot - Great reports ladies.

2Old - Is Liverpool flat and any sign of laps? If so, it could be a go'er!

Took my own advice and did my first proper hill session since 2012 (according to my old logs)!

1m w/u, 10 x 2 mins up a hill that resembles the north face of the Eiger, with 3 min jog recoveries 1m c/d.

7.15 miles in total and quads are fooked but for some reason I really enjoyed it???
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp- I'd be lying if I said it was flat but it's ok. Google Rock and Roll Liverpool Marathon and take a look at the map and the elevation diagram. It's quite undulating I guess. The second half involves a short hill up and the rest is mainly downhill or flat  and follows the HM route where I've gone sub 90 for the last 3 years so I know that is pretty fast. The first 12 goes up to and around the football stadia and back down to the centre of the city which makes that part worthwhile . I'm thinking about it and will do the HM if I bottle out of the marathon . Your hill reps today will help do the job nicely 

So after an hour spinning earlier I went to swim club for the first time for ages and suffered painfully for just over a mile. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Yo gang image

Greetings from Bratislava. Lots of English lager louts here image seems to be THE place for a stag doimage

Loved Hungary and absolutely adored Budapest. Don't think I've ever walked so much in my life before. my legs are shot and I guess tomorrow's race is doomedimage. I've eaten too much food and consumed way too much wine and palinka, the latter in the shape of Mad Hungarian cocktails (palinka, lime and cane sugar). Lethal!!

Off to Prague today for more walking and to meet with the team.

I loved all the race reports image

O4S is awe-inspiring ... 120 miles plus !!

Carrot: absolutely flying

Bro: you'll smash Comrades. I wish I was running it too ....

AA: can't believe you bagged another sub 3:30. Pure class.

Wish me luck for tomorrow.... I need it. I did too much waking and too little running. Hope I won't be the slowest of the team image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- glad the lager louts were there not at the marathon. When is the Prague race?Hungary sounds great seems to have come on a bit since the days of Atilla. 

so much for an easy ykw today. Met up with a pal who offered to pace me so I took up his offer. Before the first mile was done he gave up on the pace and volunteered a runner just behind me who pulled me along through the pain. So after over 10 years of trying finally went sub 20 with 19.52.image Came 11th overall and first for my age. first run since Sunday too. 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Carrot, Great report and congratulations on the sub 3:10! The championship area sounds a bit strict. Although the portaloo situation sounds a bit more appealing than at the Green start! Well done to Parsnip on 2:45 also, super stuff.

Hi AA, Enjoyed the report and again congratulations on the two sub 3:30's. Tremendous discipline...Hoping you are back to normal now?

Hi o4s, I see you are back into the mileage. I think I would like two of what you are drinking image

Hi Chick, Hope today goes well, nice run to clear the head after that wine?

Hi 2old, Freemers. Good to hear you are recovering well from Sunday..

Well not a very productive week for myself after last Sunday. Rested up until Thursday. The legs had recovered apart from a bit of a dull ache on the outside of my left foot. Went for 3 miles easy Thursday morning. First mile was not very comfortable, so I broke off and headed back home accross the field and that mile was a bit easier as it was softer underfoot. Since then I have been icing the foot and still feel a bit of discomfort now and again under the ankle and on the side of the foot, which could relate to Peroneal Tendinitus. I am going to start a bit of self massage on the calf and foot today and just see how things go. So now 4 weeks to Edinburgh and no running at the moment,  I have a massage booked for Wednesday, so can see what the advice is from there. 'Got me bags on' at the moment, as my mother would say!image

• Carrot - Great report and well done again to you.  Must be very happy with your progression. Impressive racing by Parsnip

AA - With your less than perfect build up to your double you performed well above what you expected.  Great  report and well done for toughing it out and getting the sub 3:30.

2old - Year of PB's for you?  Very well done on the sub 20 parkrun. What's next race wise for you.

nell - Hope it's nothing too serious with your foot.

Chick- Good luck.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- its hard to believe youll be nailing Edinburgh in a few weeks. Recover well 

Barry-more pb's? Doubt it but it's sub 40 for 10k that's my holy grail . Next is Wimslow sprint TRI on 17th. Mulling over Liverpool R&R Half or Full marathon mid June but I've got a 2mile swim on the Friday before so not sure. How's your rehab progressing ?Any races pencilled in?

did some spinning/ treadmill bricks yesterday 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old Getting back into things then? Have you a good course in mind for the 10k?

Hi Barry, How is the glute?

Hi Oompa, Carl on the 3:30-4:00 forum is running Richmond and ran a recce last weekend and has posted some elevation stuff if you are interested?

No 2old/Barry, I can't imagine nailing Edinburgh at the moment, which is a bit annoying after last week. Just been icing and self massage at the moment. Foot still feels tight now and again throughout the day. I know I could not run on it without making it worse at the moment.

Just keeping my fingers crossed it will ease as the week goes on.