Mums Running Club

Comments

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Hoggle it was me who recommended 'Overwhelmed'. Its taken me ages to read it but I have found it so interesting. Its really changed the way I think. I will never mindlessly say how busy I am like its a status image 

Camlo if the vibrating thing works then great. I am so bad at even stretching but I have been getting massages every 3 weeks or so before the marathon and it really helped.

I went out for a 'long ride' yesterday and managed 30 miles in 2h20. I was hoping to do much more and I was really tired image when I entered this half ironman I was not worried about the distance at all as 90k never used to feel far but now... I have 7 weeks left I think and a week in oz,  four days away with hubby and so much improvement to make to just get round. If I hadn't paid so much to enter, I would bail. Hey ho. 

Off to oz on Tues for a week! Feels surreal. The wedding is next sat. 26 hour flight but no kids.

Hope minks is OK today

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Ttid great news for you guys.

Nurofen hope everyone is better soon.

Cc and cm hope you are both feeling OK.

• Fab morning watching my boys give their all against bigger kids, now watching the triathlon  and hoping that alister brownlee can catch up!! 

not watched the mara but checked results for minks and yve - am in awe....

• Hi all,

ive finally managed to get back on here!

it sounds like some very tough times are being had, especially. CC and CM. Hope things start to move your way soon. image 

Vixo hope your family news got better. Xx

minks and Yve - amazing stuff!image

hope all the poorlies are better soon :-/

tt - amazing news about your business image

hoping to to stay caught up now, work has been hellish, I currently have no life.  Headteacher is the woman I started work for (alleluia!) but stresses of a naff inspection are incredible.  I've made the decision that after our next sub inspection in 6-12 months I'll leave the profession if things don't improve - the job is no longer about children it's all figures image  

anyhoo, hopefully, the revenge of work will give me five  minutes a day to speak to you all!

• Camlo I don't have a vibrating plate thing but I do like to get down on the carpet with my Jessica Ennis roller.image

• Anyone who is a regular here but not on our FB page - PM me as we have some important info...

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

A is back at nursery today! Yay! Bounced back pretty quickly and all the spots are dry and crusty.  Good to see her back to her bouncy cheeky self again. image

Shouldn't have watched the VLM coverage on the same day as having a good 10k run. I'm thinking worrying thoughts.......

• We are dropping down the page!!

Cold day here but thank goodness the snow has disappeared and we have had lovely sunshine and blue skies.

Got out for a speedyish 7.5 miler this morning, squeezed in before a work shift for a couple of hours. Stressful day on the domestic front, hoping it will peak soon!!! Feeling rather exhausted and battered by it all ...

eek to worrying thoughts of VLM ... nope, definitely not even remotely tempted!! image

• Virtual Hugs CC - sounds rubbish.  

Did a girly 'eek' in the garden today as I moved the (classy) bit of carpet on the top of the compost bin and a wee brown mouse ran away!  I did wonder why I was feeling a bit wrecked too and then remembered I shovelled compost bin 2 into bin 1 and then bin 3 into bin 2 so I now have an empty bin for compost, one that's maturing and one that's ready to go.  

• That's a whole lot of bins Kinsey!! image  

feeling a little more chipper tonight after long chat with a friend who has been dealing with hubby ... made me feel a bit more rational for starters!!

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Not planning the VLM (logistics too complicated with the 2 wee ones) - but entry to Loch Ness is open until July.  Plenty time to come to my senses........

• I've booked flight for Loch Ness Nessie, but haven't actually entered yet. I better remember to do that! Will look forward to meeting you at the startimage

Struggling to find any time to post. In fact struggling to find time to go for a pee at the momentimage

Huge well done and fab running to Minks and Yve. Awesome work ladies! My friend ran 3.28 off the GFA, not sure if either of you spotted a Shetland vest in the crowd! I always want to London when I see the hype. Have done it twice. Was 100% sure I would do it next year but actually quite fancy Manchester instead. Anyhoo thats ages away, I haven't even planned my races properly for the rest of this year yet!

I really can't name check everyone but have been reading and replying in my head even if it never makes it online.

Hugs to CC and CM.(()) CC yay to good training but for goodness sake get some grub down you. You will disappear if you get any smallerimage

Have a super time in NZ PG. Don't doubt your training so far, you are doing great with it and we all have every confidence in you  (and RF!) 

Better go, at work and really busy. Might get back later...

• Hi - a newbie living in Australia.  I have 2 boys 2 and 6 and have been a runner for a while but trying to increase distance up to half marathon and marathon for the first time since second kid...  Looking for a bit of inspiration and motivation as the juggling is getting a bit tricky and wondered if you guys could help.  I used to look in on this thread and the pregnant runners thread when I lived in England 5 years ago and see some names I recognise.  Well done to the marathon runners hope you are enjoying some relaxation this week image

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

I still haven't figured out the new thing (or even if it will let me in from this PC!) so thought I would post my VLM post-mortem here in the meantime.  After all, it IS actually about running!

Firstly, I just want to say a huge thank you to all of you who have sponsored me, supported me and encouraged me (here and on FB) throughout this mad campaign.  I am incredibly proud to be doing this for Breast Cancer Care and even more so to have raised over 50% more than my initial target through JustGiving.  At the start the focus was on the marathon itself, but in recent weeks the fundraising has become really important to me and I'm delighted to have raised so much.

Marathon day dawned damp and drizzly but not the torrential rain that had been forecast all week.  Leaving the house became somewhat stressful when, having woken hubby to drive me to the friend's house I was travelling in with, he was still fast asleep 15 minutes later - 10 minutes before we needed to leave the house!  He then decided to get in the shower (WTF??!) and we finally left 5 minutes later than planned.  The rest of the journey was uneventful and my friend and I arrived at the start with a good hour to spare.  My friend was on the blue start and mine was red, so we said our farewells and I had a wander round to make sure I knew which was my baggage bus, where the starting pens were and so on.  I decided to delay putting my kit bag on the bus as late as I could so I could keep my warm clothes on for as long as possible.  It was really chilly and I had decided to run in shorts and t-shirt - it never crossed my mind that anything warmer might be required given the recent temperatures.

About 10 minutes before the start I entered the pen and immediately wished I'd done so sooner as the sheer volume of people made it feel considerably warmer than where I'd been waiting.  There was the usual faffing and speeches, then a huge cheer as the race was officially started and we were off!  I crossed the line 2 minutes from the gun so tried to remember to factor this in to my calculations round the course.  I settled in to my planned pace - around 7:35 per mile - within the first mile and pressed the 'lap' button on my watch bang on mile 1.  I was to regret turning off its autolap function (which I'd done because of signal loss round the course) as I seemed to run further than a mile each time between markers, probably due to the need to weave in and out of other runners so much.  I was disappointed to go through the second mile at 7:47 pace - which it actually wasn't, it was the time taken to run from the mile 1 marker to the mile 2 marker, which showed as 1.04 miles on my watch.  By mile 10-12 I had no clue of my actual pace and thought I had fallen seriously off.  I figured at that point that a PB wasn't going to happen but just to keep running as hard as I could.

I crossed halfway about a minute adrift of my planned target, despite having reached 8 miles in an hour as planned.  I think lack of focus thinking I was off PB pace was to blame.  I was really enjoying the race at this point though - crossing Tower Bridge was emotional as always and the crowds were almost deafening.  I think I got to about 16 miles before I finally truly accepted that a PB wasn't going to happen.  This was my low point as my right calf started to tighten and I realised that the toes on my right foot were hurting a lot.  I'd noticed in training that my right middle toe felt a bit bruised a few times but hadn't given it too much thought.  Now the constant impact was having a major effect on that toe and the one next to it.  I think I subconsciously adjusted my running style as a result of the painful toes and this led to the tight calf. 

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

My tight right calf was soon joined by my left, and the rest of the race was really a battle to keep focused and to try to stretch them out as best I could between strides.  When I hit 20 miles I started to focus on the end of the race, and I knew I only had 4 miles to go until I would see my family.  Those were 4 tough miles, though, and when I emerged from the Blackfriars underpass and my supporters were nowhere in sight I felt really low and demoralised.  They'd had to view from further along the course, so around 24.5 miles instead of 24, but when I finally got that cheer my spirits were instantly lifted and I knew I only had a couple of miles to go.  The Embankment is always one of the highlights and as I passed some of the familiar sights of London - the Eye, Big Ben - it felt incredible to be a part of this amazing display of human endeavour and camaraderie.  Events like this really do bring out the best in people and the crowd support was unbelievable.  As I turned into The Mall and saw 600m to go I started to pick it up, and when I finally saw the line I knew if I gave it everything I could finish in my second-fastest marathon time, so I caned it to the line.

I didn't get the time I'd hoped for, but maybe I was unrealistic to think that 5 years after setting my PB in London I could set another on Sunday.  I am 5 years older after all, although I do wonder whether if I hadn't switched off the autolap on my watch, and was getting proper feedback, I'd have been able to dig just a little bit deeper and go that little bit faster.  I'm really pleased with my time, but more so at having held it together even when I realised I wasn't going to run the time I'd hoped for, and to be honest at just having kept going from 16 miles when my legs wanted to seize up on me!

• Wow that is very inspirational Minks. Thanks. I have increased distance up to 15 miles and it seems as much about the mental side as the physical side of things on the long runs. Especially when things start to hurt. 10 miles is a long time to hang on for!
  • Way to go Minks image  I am going into BCC office on Tues for something and also meeting someone called Kathryn to collect a couple of collecting tins for work.  Did you go along to any of their after things?  Food etc?

I have done a fund raising page for my tri but just want to make sure that all is ok with this MRI tomorrow before I publicise it - I would hate to start raising money and then say well actually I'm not going to be able to do it after all.  Also I think lots of people give money for the marathon so now is probably not the best time! 

• Aw well done Minks!  Am sure its frustrating to be so close to your pb over that distance but they are both outstanding times!

Hi Blossom Possum, my youngest is 3 in June and I have finally got back to running regularly since he has been at play school 3 mornings a week - its really helped to have a schedule and I normally run on a Wed, Fri and Sunday, furthest I have gone so far is 8 miles and I have a 10k race next Sunday.

Fingers crossed for the MRI Caro xx

• awesome race report Minks image   agree very frustrating to be so close to the PB, I know how I would feel anyway, but it's still a fab time

Hi Blossom Possum image - love the name ... I have a 10.5 year old boy and an eight year old girl, both at school so I have a few windows to work running in around work and challenging domestic times!!! Knowing your windows are limited generally make me very focussed about the time I do have, equally, I have to roll with the fact that a 'schedule' has to be flexible too!!

Long runs are definitely about the mental aspect I think, which is why I like long runs (and therefore ultra distance races) love to work the brain into and out of those dark places image

Not managing to sort the other site out properly yet, await further instructions via FB.

Lurching along here, good moments and totally crap moments. Saw solicitor today which was really helpful, but having a nightmare with a house rental, as due to my husband having such a hissy fit about me wanting my name on the rental agreement, and me not pushing through the hissiness, my current rental agency won't give me a reference for a place I am looking to rent, because I'm not on the rental agreement ... even though I bl00dy live in the house they are renting to my husband ... sigh ... just another mole hill to add to the muddle ... husband driving back home tomorrow for the weekend ...

Training is taking a bashing at the moment, second week of not very focussed training at all, giving time for a few niggles to resolve but I really do need to get back on it again. Fingers crossed I get in a proper long run this weekend - really wanted to get that done (a 30-miler) if possible with four proper weeks to recover, but may have to fit it in next Thursday otherwise, as no classes or work shifts ... love the 'lets see how many miles I can fit in between drop-off and pick-up' game!!!

Trying to make the runs I am doing a bit speedier than usual, to make up for lack of distance ...

• and Lotte - not sure when you head off South for your epic, but lots and lots of luck, will be counting on the Welsh brigade to give you all the support you need from us image

• And also good luck for tomorrow Caro with MRI ... Why am I flipping wide awake at this time?? Last night I could barely keep my eyes open by 9pm!!
  • Thanks CC.  Rubbish nights sleep here too. At least for this one I'll get to lie on my Back.  The last 2 I've had to lie on my front, arms by my side, IV line in one of them, head to one side and not move for half an hr!  Cricked neck doesn't even begin to cover it.  I'm not claustrophobic usually but the tube is very small......

• Plus having done it once I'm sure repeats aren't something to look forward too - hope all is fine xxx

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Good luck Caro - crossing everything. Xx

• Took ages, I was so tired I even dozed off a couple of times, which is quite a feat as they are so noisy, even with headphones and Heart radio blaring!  Have an appt for May 11th for results of today and blood tests, hopefully all will be fine.  

Friend coming over for a run in an hr, need to wake up!  Sunny but windy today.

• Ah well done for surviving caro, sounds deeply unpleasant, let alone repeat visits! Lol at the power nap!!! Finger and toes crossed all is well, enjoy your run image
  • Sorry to hear about scan Carovet and domestic troubles CC.  I hope all goes as smoothly as possible and you both can fit in lots of running when you can.

I hope 10km goes well Kinsey, that's probably my favourite distance.  I am trying to gear up for a marathon distance run in a months time to support a friend's husband.  My friend has breast cancer and he is running 42km to raise money for breast cancer research.  I am aiming to do as much of it as I can with him (its on a bus route so if I get stuck I have an escape route... image).  I'm aiming for 18 miles this weekend which I hope will be enough to get me through.  Then maybe use the training to do a half marathon race at some point soon.  I work 3 days and have my 2 year old on the other days so training at the moment involves lots of very early starts image.

• Glad scan was OK Caro, you must have been exhausted to be able to fall asleep with all of that going on.

Hugs CC, your life is made up of huge contrasts at the moment between the week days and weekends, hope this weekend is OK.

Someone tell me to step away from the popcorn!  Bought a HUGE bag of cheese and caramel popcorn on Tuesday (I know, sounds odd but strangely nice - half of them are cheesy and half caramel), and I was eating that when I broke my tooth.  You would think that would be enough to put me off it but no, I'm nodging through it like a donkey through strawberries!

Welcome Blosson Possum, you sound as though you are doing well with your running.  I was never a great runner but am not at all at the moment.  3 kids - 5, 2 and 8 months.  I'm in Florida, moved here from UK about 5.5 years ago. Hoggle is in NZ so we have a few of us overseas.

Great race report (and great race!) Minks.

Best of luck to Lotte and Vixo this weekend.  Hope travel is straightforward Lotte, you've got a hell of a trip to do!  Who are your other team members?  Who exactly are you running for? 

Vixo, your race has come at a hideous time for you personally, hope you can just get out there and enjoy it and the weather is kind to you.

• that sounds an intriguing combo TTid but I won't comment seeing as I have some bizarre likes myself - nutella on maltloaf after a looooong run, cheese and jam sandwiches etc etc

Yes weeks and weekends deeply contrasting!!! Husband returned tonight, was absolutely dreading it and feeling sick after some horrible emailing earlier in the week, but strangely calm at the moment.  Can see fun ahead as we thrash out some of the fine details surround holidays taken with kids in the summer as already someone is taking the pi$$ somewhat ... getting slightly ahead of himself and booking in long stretches under the guise of a week (um I'm not sure 11 days counts as a week?), anyway that's the last week of the holidays and he reckons he's taking them another week somewhere too ... oh the joys but at least all is civilised at the moment ...

moving onto running because that is what I am supposed to be talking about, and it's far more interesting than the other stuff which, when you think how long I've been whinging on this thread about my life!!

... after spending all afternoon dealing with the delightful folk in town with 3.5 hours in the library, and generally chasing around after kids etc, I was very very ready for a club run tonight ... I can even say that I think I ate properly today although not sure the quantity of tea and coffee I am drinking at the moment counts as sufficient hydration!!! Anyway, speedy run (6.7 miles) in the end with most of the miles being 7mm and a 6.4mm for mile 4, I concede it may have been slightly downhill with the wind behind me, but legs felt great once I got going image  so speed seems to be with me, and I *think* i've got a window for a long run on Sunday - really need to bash out a 30-miler somewhere ...

Will be thinking of our racers this weekend and hope the weather is kinder than it's forecast ...

Feels like Friday already (sort of) as the kids have a random day off tmrw! but I'm not on the gin tonight ... peppermint tea!!