Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps, all this intense marathon talk and questioning is just for research purposes.

I aint planning on doing one. image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

You really like half-marathons, SG; you'd love marathons. image

Andrew G wrote (see)
    I read somewhere that a long run can take up to 3-4 weeks to recover from.

Sounds like bollocks to me.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I like to finish a half marathon, not sure I like the mental slog.

I think it's wishful thinking from the boy AG. That, or every single marathon plan ever is wrong!
    Still, it'll be interesting when me and AG see what happens at MK next Monday, in our pursuit of GFA entry to London, despite doing 1 18mile run between us

• literatin wrote (see)

Andrew G wrote (see)

because it is, in truth most of what I've read says it takes 3-4 weeks for training adaptations to occur from long run (mitochondrial development, capillary density etc.) not that they take as long to recover from, in effect you wont notice the benefit of doing a long run as quickly as you would intervals or tempos. This is why, if anything it's more important to schedule a long run weekly, since they take so long to give you anything.

Now...back to lurking.image

• Stevie G wrote (see)

I like to finish a half marathon, not sure I like the mental slog.

As others say, it is all about what you prepare the mind for. I get to the end of a 5k and think I can't do another step: same for 10k, half, 20 mile etc. Marathon is no different, you tell your mind what you plan to do and it plans it so you fell knackered just before the end.

One of the things I really hate about a lot of bullshit trainers such as the real army and British military fitness (bored housewives and narcissists) is they do this "lets do 4 sets" and then as you finish the 4th it is "and now another". You prepare for 4, you deliver 4. If they do this then you hear 4 and yet prepare for 5 and deliver 5 poor ones.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Did something monumental just happen?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just kidding Dachs.

Obviously if there was any news to be broken about a marathon entry, Phil would have done it, having donkey-balled through all the marathons within 200miles entry lists for the next 16months.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Andrew G wrote (see)

A bit, but not entirely, as the physiological adaptations come about from the cell recovery process, but there's no reason not to overlay them - taper period aside that is! It also depends on the intensity of course. Philip has previously used a rule of thumb for recovery from races of one day per mile, and that does seem to hold pretty much true. Not if you are Marders of course - that's no more than a couple of hours per mile image

Philip - you are also absolutely right about the mind thing, which was what I was trying to get at before for the long run distance. In the past I've gone from a weekly 14 or 15 and jumped to a 20, completely against the "rules" but it had no ill effect. Now that I "know" this is the wrong thing to do, I couldn't do it!

• The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - you are also absolutely right about the mind thing, which was what I was trying to get at before for the long run distance. In the past I've gone from a weekly 14 or 15 and jumped to a 20, completely against the "rules" but it had no ill effect. Now that I "know" this is the wrong thing to do, I couldn't do it!

For me it is now something of a ritual, especially the 19. It would be easy to make the 19 into a 20 but by doing a 19 you get one more in and really a 19 is no different to a 20 and so it means another long run is done. Next year is sort of three targets: 20 by Christmas, then do Bramley 20 on Feb 14th as a race and then London on April 24th.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Midland vets league for me tonight.  Was expecting a 1500 but they asked if I would do a 400 and the 200m relay too. 

400 race meant only a lap jog warm up and enough time to put on my new spikes.  Was out in lane 7. Plan was to do a 65 ish.  Chased the chap down in lane 8, came off the final bend in front and cruised to 50 to go.  Was well clear and slowed it down until I virtually walked over the line.  Thought I was about 65, was stunned to hear it was a 57!  

15 mins later was the 1500.  Knowing that 400 would have taken something out my legs I decided to pace a mate.  Hit a 70 first lap, 72 second lap.  Looked over my shoulder and I was well clear. Oh well.   It was also very windy so decided to just sit on the 3rd lap and put some juice in the last lap.  Went through 1100 in 3.23!  Turn the pace up and hit a 61 last lap for a 4.24 unofficial.  3000m pace!  and only 2 secs faster than my mile pb!   Very slow and hopefully never run that again but the conditions was poor and I won by miles and the last lap suggests there might be more to come image

200 relay, I was on the last leg, and when they got me the baton I was second about 40m back.  I chased and closed it to about 15m but it was too much to find in a 200.  Not sure of the time but was probably sub 27

• Some good numbers in there Dean. Don't forget you can only race those who are there on the day.

Do you wear spikes for the 1500?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Exactly - any more than a win is just wasted energy image

The 400m sounds very quick!

7.4M xc to rail station this morning. Very slow and legs just felt like lead!  F-off tomorrow image

• I have to wait for Sunday for a rest day. TTing tonight then a 2hr easy bike before work tomorrow. 15km inc Bracknell parkrun on Sat.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT19 wrote (see)
    Hmmm, ok that's contrary to what I heard previously re droitwich. I'll see if I can for find much out from my club. I'd already put the first Sunday in November in the diary.

It's knowing how seemingly easy Muddys training is and how many basic adaptions can be made that let me think sub 1.15 is very much doable this year.

DeanR7 wrote (see)

Midland vets league for me tonight.  Was expecting a 1500 but they asked if I would do a 400 and the 200m relay too. 

400 race meant only a lap jog warm up and enough time to put on my new spikes.  Was out in lane 7. Plan was to do a 65 ish.  Chased the chap down in lane 8, came off the final bend in front and cruised to 50 to go.  Was well clear and slowed it down until I virtually walked over the line.  Thought I was about 65, was stunned to hear it was a 57!  

15 mins later was the 1500.  Knowing that 400 would have taken something out my legs I decided to pace a mate.  Hit a 70 first lap, 72 second lap.  Looked over my shoulder and I was well clear. Oh well.   It was also very windy so decided to just sit on the 3rd lap and put some juice in the last lap.  Went through 1100 in 3.23!  Turn the pace up and hit a 61 last lap for a 4.24 unofficial.  3000m pace!  and only 2 secs faster than my mile pb!   Very slow and hopefully never run that again but the conditions was poor and I won by miles and the last lap suggests there might be more to come image

200 relay, I was on the last leg, and when they got me the baton I was second about 40m back.  I chased and closed it to about 15m but it was too much to find in a 200.  Not sure of the time but was probably sub 27

I'm not sure what is more surprising in this report.

The idea that someone like you Dean could ever do as slow as a 65 in a 400 race, or the idea that anyone reading this was thinking, a 4.24 1500, how embarrassingly slow?!

• How long will my 74.xx HM from Feb 2015 get me a championship entry to London does anyone know?

• Dean is that London 2016 or 2017? cracking coasting 400m and 1500m last night you are a great talent

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

4:24 is my 1500 PB, so it is definitely embarrassingly slow.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You should be ashamed Dachs image

• robT wrote (see)

Dean is that London 2016 or 2017? cracking coasting 400m and 1500m last night you are a great talent

That is both 2016 and 2017.

3x1600m at lunchtime. They started with a 6 and that is all I will say in this company.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

just kidding Dachs.

Obviously if there was any news to be broken about a marathon entry, Phil would have done it, having donkey-balled through all the marathons within 200miles entry lists for the next 16months.

No, I have an easier way: just check your bank account from time to time. Like many, your PID is 6268 (MANU) and your password is F3RG13

• Dean, what's with that disgraceful 1500? Go and sit in the naughty corner for embarrassing the thread! image Sounds like a cracking workout to me. Good man!

Rob, is that marathon itch still bothering you?!

Last night was an easy 10.75 mile.

Tonight was a very encouraging session:

3 x 1200m @ 3K pace (3 mins rec) 4:02, 4:01, 4:00.

4 x 400 @ 1500 pace (3 mins) 73, 74, 74, 71.

Was dizzy and rather faint headed at the end! Rest day tomorrow!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

You only did those 1200s so fast to embarrass me Stevie image, and as for the 400s.... 

Given those paces, you can surely expect some big PBs to follow soon. What's in the programme race wise?

Philip - don't be so naughty!

• Cheers Bus, appreciated! It was a brisk session but running through 1000m at that tempo was very exhilarating, not felt that in a while. Did you do your reps on a track?Race wise I've got:

May 10th - GMR 10K

May 15th - Christleton 5K

May 17th - Chester Half Marathon

Then maybe a Cheshire Champs track race, but could end up on the piss that weekend! image

• Dean - good loosener, I'll take your word for it. Are you SURE you weren't flat out? image

Good reps SS too. Not been on for a few days, obviously with Monday nights football and stupidly busy at work too not helping.

Just been to and from work running wise, although did the 30 x 200 session (10 with 10 secs, 10 with 20, 10 with 30) yesterday on the track over the road. Pretty windy, but felt really good - funny that with lots of beer and no long run to batter the legs!

More Liver battering to come - LBAC club dinner tonight and meeting in London 9am tomorrow for the last match of the season at Charlton. Need to knuckle down afterwards I think...

Good thing about automatic promotion is that I can definitely do the BUPA 10K now - anyones clubs got free entries for it? I think you had to have done the regional 12 stage relays to qualify. Good weekend all!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seeman- nice pace mixing. But i'm mostly glad to see you have a half marathon on there - that pb of yours must be the softest on the thread! Well, until I post a marathon debut of 4hours 17 image

Simon - had the same option, but am still traumatised by that course, seeing a 35.07 come out on the official clock, despite my watch average pace showing the same pace as the 34.30 I'd done at Eastleigh not long before. 

35min HMP/MP session for me today. 2.30 split segments rather than the 5s i've done in the past.

Fancied it at the track, but when I got there I wondered what the best way to record it was. You can't take the watch readings and paces, unless cheating yourself is your thing, and setting a session to monitor 2min 30 splits similary doesn't do a job.

Just went for a plain, set the stopwatch off, log 400s as a guide, and change pace every 2:30.

Fairly windy again, I must have got the track on a terrific day when I did that 28+ lap session the other day!

The 35mins ran out with about 200metres of a lap left, so made it up at least be a full 6x1600 of 9600metres for 35:29.

Average, once i'd factored in the missing 9metres per mile came out 5.57

Which is always interesting, as If i did a straight MP session it'd come out around that, but obviously that's a bit too quick, whereas a MP/HMP mix makes you utilise the proper zones more,

With the wind, and bearing in mind HMP top end is 5.45, and MP bottom end is 6.10, meaning the exact half way would be 5.57:50, then it sort of all works out bang on.

Lovely.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good sessions Simon - and running wise too image

Stevie - that's a hell of a week of racing - PBs for sure in the 10k and 5k I should think, but it'll be interesting to see how the half goes - could go either way and either you'll blast it or burn out!

Yes, my reps were on the track. I might cycle over there next time, as although the 1.5M run there is a good warm up, doing the same on the way back limits the number of reps I can squeeze into a lunch break.

Rest day today (legs definitely need it!) and possibly parkrun tomorrow, if I can exercise a bit of self control at a friends birthday drinks tonight!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice sessions SG, SC and SS and a nice trot out for Dean!image

SG, my 3.30 marathon PB must be the softest on the thread.

Having to do a recce of a leg of a relay tomorrow morning that our club are doing in a few weeks. The leg is 10.5 mile long and I'm paired with a bloke who can't drive so no option to drop a car at the finish. So potentially a 21 mile off road long run in the morning. :-/ which just so happens to coincide with a 10 mile pub walk that I'm doing that afternoon. Might have Sunday off.
  • SS - Possibly 2017 not sure on London though!