RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Nell: if I stopped for a breather I'm afraid that my lazy, fatter, couch potato twin might overtake and smother me image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- yes Liverpool did get warm for the marathoners but the half was fine. Good to see you making progress ..where exactly is the pain and when do you feel it? At least your keeping your fitness level up. Need you back running. 

Nell - that was fast ..much more positive. Still not sure about Lisbon,Chester is less hassle 

AA-always good to get a trendy one done after  the legs have had  a hammering 

O4S- what Nell said about breathER See you're up my way ...Clitheroe isn't far. Proper Lancs .Look out for the excellent Wine shop in the town. 

First bike ride since Septembet tonight. Not very pretty but necessary. 18 uncomfortable miles. I forgot how cycling exaggerates the slightest breeze. 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

2Old: do you mean Booths?

• O4S - I'm quite surprised that you didn't turn down the lift, and just run back instead!image

Nell - It's been said before but you've done the training, now take it easy.

I've looked into Amsterdam and the course looks great... No laps or hills in sight! I 

I now know why AA has chosen it though as on the map, every drink station has a sign stating "AA DRINK". Could be one of two things taking place... Either a) You are ultra professional and have your own sports drink brand... Or b) It's wine!image

I'm going with option b. image 

• AA - I've pm'd you re travel etc...

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Freemers wrote (see)

Definite washboard stomach envy....no way am I running in a crop top imageimageimage

2old - So you win a "free" place but have to buy the t-shirt? Doesn't sound quite right to me, but maybe it sounds better than pay 25 euros to enter and get a free t-shirt?

5 miles done - hammy still troublesome but I am ignoring it for the time being!

I agree re crop top. Just checked Bro's pics. If I looked THAT great in a crop top I might give it a go but not a chance the way my abs look like image. Hope the hammy settles.

Barry B wrote (see)

Chick - Well done on your marathon relay sounds a more enjoyable way to do it, but did n't a small part of you wish you had run it all.

Of course it did! I even had a weird marathon dream the night before image. One that involved running through buildings where you had to stop your watch and could take as long as you wanted image

old4speed wrote (see)

Nell: if I stopped for a breather I'm afraid that my lazy, fatter, couch potato twin might overtake and smother me image

imageimageimage

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- no it's Byrne & Co for the wine 

Oomp- so Amsterdam it is for you. AA will pace you 

44min (MP)10k before the races yesterday before the rain arrived. Lazy weekend visiting no 1 son in Bristol

good running all this weekend 

• 2Old wrote (see)

Oomp- so Amsterdam it is for you. AA will pace you 

2Old - I hope that you mean for the race? If you mean drink pacing, i'm in big trouble!image

Trendy recovery 5 last night followed my my second ever YKW this morning... my first without a hangover and a resulting 21.06, so clearly need more speedwork.image

• AA - Thanks for the offer, might have to pop down M4 and see you.

Oompa - Nice YKW, speed will come.

2old - Always seems to be windy on the bike.  Pain is deep in right bum, feel it most after sitting down or bending over, and can feel it when walking not pain just tight.

O4S - Tempted by Bristol to Bath for the Autumn but maybe a bit hilly for me. image

Injury is getting better but going to give it another week at least before attempting run.

First OW swim on Friday evening. Did n't feel that cold but wetsuit felt tight on chest when breathing, managed 2 x 200m and 1 x400m loops with stops and my directional/sighting skills need some(a lot) of work but happy enough with first go.  34 miles round trip on bike this morning to 10k race I was meant to be doing, supported daughter and boyfriend who both did well in their first 10k, with following the race over 40 miles rode and leg OK.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp- not too bad a YKW time there esp with a hangover. What's your pb? Re AA - whatever ,you're in big trouble image

Barry- congrats getting the first OW swim done ...time for me to get out there too if the water is warmer. That was a big ride today ..it would make my bum sore too. Do you think there may be a tear or something similar  in there ? It's obviously sensitive to the impact of running

O4S/Barry - Bristol running ?- I experienced the hills of Bristol getting a 9.7 mile run in today with no1 son . Redlands to Clifton around the Downs across the Suspension Bridge into the woods down to the river and back up to Redland from the river via Clifton again. Don't let anyone say we have hills where I live imageBeautiful place to where I could happily move tomorrow. 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Oomp - nice ykw there image

Came through the Dereham 10 unscathed, 4th lady and 2nd F45. 1.11.50...was going pretty quick for 6 miles on target for something under 1.10 but then my legs remembered the marathon from 2 weeks ago and it was a struggle from then. Took home a trophy for the age group place so that was worth it image
  • Free - Nice work yesterday. There's been more bling on this thread recently than an episode of TOWIE! image

Barry - Where was your OW swim, sea or lake? Glad the injury seems to be getting better.

Longest post Brighton run last night with 12 @ 8.28. Ran my local trail but as I was painting the house all day, didn't get out until nearly 10pm and it was beautiful and quiet as needless to say, I was the only one on it.

Rest day today in preparation for tomorrow's 2nd of my club's four annual May races.
  • old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Back home yesterday after 140-150 miles in 8 days. Weather grim at times and the ground is likely to be saturated for the 100. Off to spin now and running club tonight.

2Old: Redland is where lots of the students live (along with Clifton) so lots going on. Next time you are down visiting let me know and we could take in some of the other gorgeous green spaces. You might now see why I favour hilly events.....image

Freemers: nice 10 mile race result. I was able to do loads of distance the week after London, but couldn't have contemplated speed image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

O4S - did you see the 68 year old lady getting a new F65 world record at the Manchester 10k yesterday - 40:30 imageimageimage

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

My boss' younger daughter is at Clifton College at the moment image she loves it there.

Well done Freemers image Excellent bling image

Nice ykw, Oomps.

2old: was it not dark at 10pm image?

A 40:30 10k at the age of 68 image. That's amazing. Don't think I could ever get close to such a time and I'm 20 years younger image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-so many coincidences in life-Mis 2O went on a week long course there  a few years ago and as a child I used to go on school trips to Bristol zoo which is around the corner.Memories of soggy sandwiches.I think it was Oomp who ran in the darkimage.Did a lot of that up to the clock change a few weeks ago.

Free/Chick-at the rate Im going Im going to be 100 before I go sub 40-if everimage.

Free- Congrats on the bling .Not a bad(ie brilliant) result at all for a first race since VLM. You are going to need another shelf for your growing collection.Whats next?

Oomp-nice LR there and good luck with the races

O4S-Thanks for the kind offer.I hope to take you up on it one day.The run down the gorge to the river was frightening to say the least-had I let go Im sure Id have easily beaten 4mm mile pace.The run from the river to Clifton was equally as steep. Im so impressed by your recovery powers and ability to grind out that many miles so close to London

Reluctant swim today-3.4k- but I can at least say now that  I can swim 2 miles even if it was very slow.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Gulp I've gone and signed up for Lisbon R&R Marathon in October image I am not planning to race it. 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Evil spin class this morning, 20 minutes of hill reps followed by a 10 minute pyramid session and finished off with a 10 minute flat out sprint. Off-road at the running club tonight - I was leading and had a few comments on the speed of a 'steady' run, so my legs seemed to have recovered quite well from London and last week.

Chick: my next door neighbour teaches at Clifton College - ultra posh placeimage

2Old: nobody here believes you won't be racing Lisbon image

Barry: Bristol to Bath marathon is OK apart from one nasty hill ( but it is nasty)

• Free- nice work on the 10m and well done on the bling!image

O4S- you are a machine!

2Old- Lisbon sounds great. Of course you will race it!

Did my last 20m+ (23m) run on Saturday followed by 7m on Sunday. Decided to fuel up with boiled potatoes in the name of comrades training. They went down ok... one seemed to be stuck in the gut for ages but sorted itself out eventually...image Hoping it will be a bit easier when running at 9+mm. A couple of hard quality sessions this week with a sloooooooooow 2h45min run planned for Sunday and then I really hope I'll get to taper. Getting tired now.

I'm also starting a new job on Monday... so will get settled and then disappear for 2 weeks to SAimage. They didn't seem to mind. The best thing about it is that they have a snazzy gym in the basement- how convenient!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Bro-probably best not to swallow the potatoes wholeimageAre they supplied along the Comrades route?With luck you will be able to work on your laptop in the gym.Looks like your prep has gone really well.How will you do your taper -O4S does marathons?

O4S/Bro-I really am not going to race it image

O4S-looked at the elevations for the Bristol /Bath marathon-that hill around the 14th mile looks near vertical.Definately not a GFA/PB run but looks a reallyinteresting route overall.

• 2Old- Yes, they seem to be in favour of solids at comrades feeding stations so things like salted baked potatoes, oranges, bananas, biscuits, chocolate and sweets. I'll probably carry a few gels with me and try to get Mr Brol to top me up along the way but need to know I can stomach what's on offer. Not sure about the taper yet, leaving it to the coach.image

• Brol - Have you not been fuelling up on Biltong? Salted baked potatoes sound image!

You are putting in some huge mileage.image

What's your highest week been? 

• Oompa- no biltong on offer at feeding stations so noimage! I haven't been doing that much to be honest.  probably peaking at 75mpw but averaging closer to 65mpw. With 2 gym sessions a week on top of it, it really didn't leave me with much time to squeeze in more mileage... and to be honest I didn't think it was needed. I think all the S&C has made a huge difference to how I've been recovering from those hilly long efforts in the last couple of months so well worth spending time on rather than doing a few extra miles.

• Brolish wrote (see)

Oompa- no biltong on offer at feeding stations so noimage! I haven't been doing that much to be honest.  probably peaking at 75mpw but averaging closer to 65mpw. 

75!image My biggest week leading up to Brighton was 52... Once!image

Agree re S&C. I've been trying to do as much as this as possible but i find it hard to do instead of running, as i was unable to run for so long.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    2Old wrote (see)

I think it was Oomp who ran in the darkimage.Did a lot of that up to the clock change a few weeks ago.  

Whoops - it sure was Oomps. Soz for mixing you guys up image Strangely I don't mind running in the dark if it's in the morning. But hate it in the evening.

2Old wrote (see)

Gulp I've gone and signed up for Lisbon R&R Marathon in October image I am not planning to race it. 

Yeah, right .... as if image

old4speed wrote (see)

Chick: my next door neighbour teaches at Clifton College - ultra posh placeimage

Yep - my boss is filthy rich so he can easily afford top notch education for his kids. Having said that I know both kids and they are really lovely, down to earth girls. Not the usual stuck up little bitches that you frequently get.

Brolish wrote (see)

Did my last 20m+ (23m) run on Saturday followed by 7m on Sunday. Decided to fuel up with boiled potatoes in the name of comrades training. They went down ok... one seemed to be stuck in the gut for ages but sorted itself out eventually...image Hoping it will be a bit easier when running at 9+mm. A couple of hard quality sessions this week with a sloooooooooow 2h45min run planned for Sunday and then I really hope I'll get to taper. Getting tired now.

I'm also starting a new job on Monday... so will get settled and then disappear for 2 weeks to SAimage. They didn't seem to mind. The best thing about it is that they have a snazzy gym in the basement- how convenient!

Nice thing about the gym image. I really ought to do more strength work but on top of working 11 hour days on a regular basis and running early doors most mornings I just don't know how to fit this in. There's no gym nearby - I'd waste at least 15 mins one way getting to one and it doesn't seem worth the hassle image.

I like the idea of salty potatoes. I always fancy salty stuff in marathons too. After two gels I usually can't face any more sugar and would much rather scoff some peanut butter or crisps image

7.5 miles today. I'm really glad there's no longer a 9 in front of my easy pace image

• Morning all 

bro - getting close now. You'll be excellent. 

2old - it is really good not to race. Much more fun!

O4S - how long till the 100?

ive been following a circuit training program from home since feb. it's made a massive difference I swear. I bought it online. If anyone wants it, email me. I'm on week 10 now of a 12 week program (had 3 weeks off @ marathon week!) and I can barely lift my coffee this morning after my arm session yesterday!! It's only 3 times a week for 20-30 mins!

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

AA: Saturday 23rd May image  Will be glad to get it done and move on to cycling. Yes please to the circuit training programme - you have my e-mail I think.

Yesterday I did 3 tax returns, booked flights, trains, accommodation and sessions for a trip round the UK (Exeter to Durham and intermediate points) visiting potential Universities with my nephew from Belfast and then inexplicably found myself agreeing to mark 150 University exam scripts either side of the 100 mile outing. Dementia has finally arrived!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-you crammed a lot in yesterday-I dont usually do my tax return until 11.59pm on 30th Jan so I'm impressed by your organisation. Hope the uni students will be happy with your work.

AA-I am determined to do a marathon for the experience alone, so maybe Lisbon will be it and it will keep me ticking over nicely for VLM 2016. Im like you -Iknow S&C is needed to progress without injury.I 'm hoping swimming and spinning will do for now.There's only so many hours in a day

Bro-Big mileage but not as huge as I expected and it cant be far off your normal marathon mileage.I suppose its the back to back LRs and slower pace thats the difference. I couldnt manage on gels alone for an ultra -I'd need some of O4S's cake.

AA-you and Bro are going to have matching washboards...better work on my six packimageI struggled with my first LR last night so am still amazed by your marathon double in 7days!

Busy day for me -apart from workimage swam 1800m interval session lunchtime and 19.75 miles LR last night 7.44mm av.and much of it into a strong wind too. Thinking of doing my first OW swim today but will probably wimp out.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

whoa, open water swim .... brrrrr

We had a 10 degree drop in temperature since yesterday. I'm soooo tired - the weather is doing my head in image

13 miles this morning. Windy, but doable. October is not that far away anymore image

I also bought an S&C course (book and CD). Mr. Chick and I did the first few exercises about 2 or 3 times but have neglected it since as we were both soooo sore afterwards! Goes to show how much we really need it ....

• 2Old - Nice LR. Do you just jump straight back into the 20'ish milers and stay there or thereabouts until Lisbon? OW swim sounds grim to me, it's all i can do to drag myself into the pool at the gym... And that's bloody cold!image

AA - "Sun's out, guns out!"

Chick - What race are you doing in Oct? Well done for the windy 13.image

Club race 2 last night and i was shite.image I'm definitely lacking speed endurance as the route was only 4.39 miles in 30.45. It's a bit up and down, but i'm disappointed to only be able to manage 7 min/mile avg. Looked at my logs from 3 years ago and i ran faster than this time having added on almost half a mile to the route due to going the wrong way!image 

Trendy 5 tonight, then another MLR tomorrow in preparation for a hilly 10k race on Sunday.