Paris Marathon 2016

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Woo hoo - Jimbob has gone super speedy image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Woooohoooo jimbob!

KS - @rse still broken and it's partying alomg with knee, but i have a plan and it might work. I haven't booked flights or hotels for usa yetimage
  • Joanna3Joanna3 ✭✭

Hi everyone! I'm waiting to hear about VLM but failing that I'll be flinging myself down through the creepy disco tunnels of Paris again in 2016. 

and now, a PSA: I have just gotten some woefully anaemic blood results (i think i was meant to be between 8-27 and i was at 4) and starting to realise why Paris was as bloody difficult as it was...you're all much smarter than i am and have probably got this in hand but if you're feeling exhausted/getting slower/sort of twangy in the nerve endings and dead in the legs ALL THE TIME, go get bloods done. 

PS Flipbelt FTW! 

• I'll be in the snail pen for Paris (pink?). Thought it the safest place as a) I haven't done much 'proper' running and b) my fastest marathon is over 5 hours (now 5:05 from Bewl Water last weekend).

My aim for Paris will be under 5 hours, which I'm sure for all of you would feel catastrophically slow, but given a doctor once told me some people are best suited to sitting on the sofa, I'll see it as a triumph.

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    Hi

Claire my first marathon was 5:16:14. Good luck with cracking the 5. Have god training and get some miles in your legs and you'll take a good chunk off it. We're all at different places and paces at our running but we are all in the same boat, we are trying to do our best over 26.2, finish the distance , execute well and then get well blaggered in the pub after!
  • orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Dear List Fairy - please can you stick me down for Humph's Hilly Half on June 13th? Thanks.

Sage words there Jimbob, esp the end bit!

HIAHS - no deets for you on Paris as I haven't registered.....yet

• Dear List Fairy please could you add me to the very long list for The Ridgeway Revenge half mara on 20th June.

Ta very much x 

• Thanks Jimbob, if I take a chunk off I'll be very happy. And the pub after to rehydrate etc sounds very wise!

• Heidi BarrHeidi Barr ✭✭✭

Kudos to Jimbob for building up to the Preferential Pen from a first marathon time of 5:16. Inspiring to say the least. Not that I would dare imagine I'd break four hours never mind three, but there you go!

I've been doing shorter runs and trying to focus on my pace and form. I have found that if I hold my trunk up straighter and tuck my tail bone in, shoulders back, my legs seem to have less work to do and I automatically run faster. 

It's got me intrigued - does anybody know of any good books about improving running form?

• Heidi - it's taken me years, and sessions with a running coach, to work that one out. Yes, if you get your form right (which also includes picking up your feet) it actually makes the running easier and avoids injury. Who knew? It's something I've really been concentrating on this spring. Don't know of any good books, but worth looking for some YouTube videos.

Yes Running Rodent, a video posted by a fast lady runner from Kent (who is also a running coach) inspired me think about this. It shows an example of the runner's before- and after-coaching running form. What do you think?

After video: https://youtu.be/sDVi8_ayJHQ
    Comparison video: https://youtu.be/NmGz8t7-J0g

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RunClaire  - Stick at it and you'll get that sub-5. Like the super speedy Jimbob my first marathon was over five hours too (5:17:04).

• Joanna3Joanna3 ✭✭

Eggy, Jimbob - you are now my complete heroes. My first marathon (all those months ago last October) was 5 15 and I had resigned myself to just being a slow runner. Thanks for the motivation image

• I have signed up for Paris, my first ever marathon!!

i am just hoping to get round as I am super slow but excited to be committing to a marathon after many years of prevaricating. My "long run" is currently 3.5 miles so I have a way to go. Loved the comment about being better suited to sitting on a sofa! I will be in the pink pen too.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Wendy - Welcome to the thread. You've pick a great event for your first marathon.

Joanna - I think if you have the time and the will you can always improve. Main thing is to try and enjoy it.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all image

Wendy - welcome! It's good that you're making a start with good time image

RunClaire - don't feel disheartened. I ran 5.40 in Bewl when I did it! Now i'm running over an hour faster!

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Welcome Wendy - you've joined in nice and early so if you stick around you'll be fully motivated come marathon day with this lovely crowd. 

Heidi & RR - one of the things my trainer has been telling me which has stuck when I'm running is to keep my head up and eyes looking ahead rather than that at my feet. I've adopted 'head up, eyes ahead' as a running motto for when I'm starting to trudge along and can really feel the difference instantly.

Wendy DIBBLE Hello and welcome to the thread image I also joined in the fun earlier this year, in advance of doing this year's Paris marathon (my first), and the people on here have a wealth of knowledge and incredible patience for any questions you may have in the months leading up to the marathon. Do you have any shorter distance build-up races planned during the year to monitor the improvement in your endurance? I'm sure that would give you loads of motivation, get you used to the race experience and help you see the results of your training.

Nells - sounds sensible to me. At the very least, when I can't hold my belly in any more, I'll tell myself to hold my head up and look ahead  image

• The Jimbob wrote (see)
    HIAHS. Bib change alert! Put me down as BIB No.510 / Preferential!

;)image

Go for it JB!!

• Hi all,

Looking at Paris as my first ever marathon, I know it's a long way away but the six hour time limit kinda worries me as I've not done it before. If you were to finish over this time (as I see from the results people did this year) do you still get medals, runners packs etc and is there still someone there at the finish? Or do you just run to wherever you think the finish should be?
  • Thanks for the encouragement looking forward to making it to the pub!

• Seems like I'm in the red pen too No.3575

I'm struggling to stay motivated to run at the moment.  As I'm switching to triathlon training until after Ironman Wales I know I'm likely to get slower at running over the next few months whilst I focus most of my training on improving my bike and swim. 

I've gone from c50 miles a week running to 15-20 and it feels odd!  I''ve a few running races between now and September e.g. a half in 11 days time but I know I'll be someway off my best given this weeks training consists of Sunday, long (103 mile) ride + 5k run, Monday, steady 10k run & pool swim, Tuesday strength training, Today open water swim (brrr, the first of the season!), Thursday 8 mile run, Friday pool swim & maybe a short run and finally Saturday a medium (50ish) mile ride.  The (running) miles are just not there.

Whilst I'm loving the challenge of the ironman and varying the training I'm hating not having a running target and something to make me get out the door and run and hence I'm also looking forward to 16 November and starting an 18 week pure running plan for Paris!

What plans does everyone follow, or too early to say?  It'll be the P&D 18 week for me with my own hashed version of a combination of the up to 55 and 55-75 miles a week for me.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

DisneyPirate - Yes, you'll still get a medal and finishers t-shirt etc. There have been a number of people over that time and never heard of anyone having any problems.

Don't worry about it. Stick to your training and you'll be fine.

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    Joanna3 wrote (see)

Eggy, Jimbob - you are now my complete heroes. My first marathon (all those months ago last October) was 5 15 and I had resigned myself to just being a slow runner. Thanks for the motivation image

Thanks for saying Joanna.image Actually I've been inspired and encouraged by many on this thread (including Eggy) to push on and work harder. It's a great place for that. I've been lucky in the sense that i've been able to go from one campaign to the next which helps. Eggy's recent marathon in Paris was a great moment for him and those of us who know him. Since his 2012 marathon PB, he has had various injuries and lay offs. It's very hard to come back from that, but in Paris this year he finally beat that PB 3 years later and seeing his reaction on the finish line video is a moment to savour. He's cool character but you can feel the emotion of it. That journey must have been difficult but he got the eye of the tiger and achieved what he set out to do. It's very satisfying when you put it together.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I find "heads up" helps my running a lot too.  When I run outside, I get a fair amount of back and shoulder pain.  When I run on a treadmill - I am watching tv and not my feet - I almost never get the pain.   Trouble is when I try that outside, I usually land up tripping.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Cheers Jimbob. I must admit, it felt good to crack Paris this year. image

• Joanna3Joanna3 ✭✭

Jimbob that's so helpful to hear image Thanks! Sunnysider I totally feel you about dropping from 50 mile weeks to 20 mile weeks as I'm training for a half now and chose a way-too-easy program I'm now realising - although in my case running's all I'm doing apart from strength training & Pilates! Still though, mind over matter. Sounds like  you've spent time wisely choosing a program. Your brain knows better than your legs (probably). 

• KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Welcome to the new posters!

I am in full on smug mode this morning as I did 9miles fairly effortlessly in 9:30ave min/mil yesterday, even with an unscheduled bathroom break (er, think it might have been PB too close to the run, ahem). Got home and felt like I'd done nothing, could have run and run. Have carried on stretching - piriformis, cat, cobra, hips and shoulders, and feel so much better than Sunday. The weather was perfect too, warm with a cooling breeze. 

If I could order that for Stockholm, that would be fab. Oh, without the thigh chafe. 

Radar Sal wrote (see)
    Woooohoooo jimbob!
    KS - @rse still broken and it's partying alomg with knee, but i have a plan and it might work. I haven't booked flights or hotels for usa yetimage

boooo. To your bottom and knee, not to Jimbob's pref. Fingers crossed for the plan. 

• Hot and hard tempo run last night. Not as much fun as I had wanted. It's hard getting fit again.

Wendy - is that your real family name, or are you related to a TV cartoon character?

Heidi Barr wrote (see)
    It's got me intrigued - does anybody know of any good books about improving running form?

Brain Training for Runners - the title might seem ironic, but trust me, it's about running form. Good form starts with right envisioning of running gait, in your brain.

Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

Hot and hard tempo run last night. Not as much fun as I had wanted. It's hard getting fit again.

But you were out! and you are running again! and cycling like a madman to keep up your fitness!

Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

Brain Training for Runners - the title might seem ironic, but trust me, it's about running form. Good form starts with right envisioning of running gait, in your brain.

Thanks, TD, googling...