Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good luck Dachs. And SG policy is not to reveal any races until after the event i'm afraid.

Good sessions all.

35min MP-HMP tempo today. Think because i'd done some 72 sec laps Fri, i went in thinking 89 and 86s would be a doss over 35mins.

Wasn't. And had a real feel of the rib inflammation thing again, just when I thought it was easing off. Odd, as last run was Wed at 7am. Guess it's a classic thing with muscles, even inflamed ones that they often respond better to keeping warm and active rather than rested.

We press on.

• Simon, yes it is the Yelling podcast. I race at Bedford from time to time and see all the club records on the noticeboard and see how prominent Paula is to the point where the ladie's record is not very different to the men's record.

Gave blood yesterday, 6 gentle today, feeling OK for a day out at Wembley tomorrow.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Where is everyone?

Parkrun this morning. Felt a bit jaded and this is reflected in a pretty mediocre 18:17. Would have been good enough for first finisher by a long way for the past two weeks, but only good enough for 4th today, and nothing in the tank to prevent being overtaken in the last 200m.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'm at Pennyhill Park, celebrating my 5th wedding anniversary. Managed to get 40 mins on the dreadmill whilst the wife had a massage.
  • Bracknell parkrun plus running there and back. Started hard then had second thoughts. Off to the coast for a few days then the Netherlands until next weekend.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Just back from a week in Washington and loads to catch up on.

but stevie see hm pb getting smashed to bits after the hm proving more than a little stubborn. it's going to take some significant race to pip that for performance of the yr.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Close run thing with his sub 17 5k I reckon!

Good luck tomorrow Dachs, and anyone else racing!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Welcome back Dean.

Like 'Bus', good luck with any racing anyone is doing.

My next race (option) is a 10k at Dulwich Park next weekend.

Following the previous race exertions, this week has all been easy slow running whether I liked it or not. 

Planning to go out in a few minutes. Played by ear, just about every run this week has been cut short. Just a waiting game, until the faster pace emerges. When it does, I've recovered.

Ok, just got back in.

Earlier I ran 17 miles plus, at just under 7:45 pace. Then straight out to catch up with some garden jobs. Less to do tomorrow.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good start to the day!

Mine was the other way round today. Just back from my L(very)SR. 14 miles to make my biggest week since start of Jan at 61M. Good job I don't work in kMs or I would have had to do a 15.1M image

Bit warm, bit sluggish and adductor a bit sore, but all done and now time for bath, beer and curry....

Everyone out enjoying the sun today then??

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Thanks Dean and welcome back!

Bit slow here this week? Good session on the grass by Simon, faster than my track reps.

My week has gone:

M - 7.5 easy

T - 6 x 600m

W - 9.5 miles easy (but in 2 runs as my mate's calf went and I had to drive him home then continue later.)

T - 5.25 miles with 3 @ tempo.

F - 3 miles recovery

S - Cheshire champs 1500, then a 2 mile tempo.

S - 15 miles easy.

52 for the week

Ran a 1500 yesterday and got myself a senior gold by beating one other guy. I was 20 seconds behind and 20 seconds in front of other runners so totally stranded in a small field. Ran 4:41 which I wasn't too happy with. But on my own and I know I took the 3rd lap far too easy. Then did a 2 mile tempo in the park for good measure. Very enjoyable distance to race though, I'd love to have another go in a bigger/graded race.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Nearest thing to having a rest day today.

Went out as usual early hours, but a combination of mild fatigue and some evidence the niggle of last week is still under repair, made me stop after a mile to have a think about whether it was a good idea to maintain the averages, another mile to confirm things and then home.

That's three miles, really slow. 

A spin on the bike for a few minutes and done.

Already a few hours later, I feel way better than 24 hours ago. Heading the way I should be. 

🙂

• Impressive garden jobs after 17 miles Ric, impressive! Looks like a quiet bh weekend out there.

Went to the Aylesbury park run for crowd control so the missus could run, then a juniors & seniors afternoon at MK track with LBAC. did a couple if 400's, 4x 200 and 8 x 100. Bit of swimming Sunday lunchtime too, which was nice.

So up stupidly early for the train to London this morning for the BUPA 10k tried to hit the first half quite hard and did feel a bit tired around 3k, but the time was still about 16 mins 5k. It's a new course and a bit better than last years and so went through 5k on 16.06. Hmmm, bit faster than I aimed for, but I thought I would try and go for it. Got a bit excited at 8k as I think I was on 26 mins! Sadly the early pace told and I ended up with 32.36, which is a PB by 2 secs. So, yep well pleased, teeny bit frustrated with the last 2k. Reckon that's lack of mileage?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great result Simon. I noticed it earlier and toyed with the idea of just splashing it up on the thread. 

But that would have been a bit provocative so thought better of it. But well done all the same.

Yes gardens. Spot of easy lawn mowing really. Self drive petrol mower, I have but to stroll along. Good recovery work in fact.

🙂

• Cheers Ric, yes I'm also a fan of the gentle warm down too..nice walk to the bus after training!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great run simon! Pbs coming thick and fast on the thread so far this year. It looked a stacked field at the front end when I saw the pics on twitter.

Nice work on the 17 miler Ric.

Weekend away camping for me, far too many burgers and junk and had a really sore hamstring after a short run on sat. Eased over the last 2 days and at the physio yesterday. Easing off for Edinburgh half this weekend anyway. Looking like a 20mph tailwind for the first 11 miles before heading into it for the last 2 miles. Feel sorry for those who've about 8 miles into it doing the marathon!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, the warm down!

I wonder how many adopt a policy of finishing a race or session and immediately (within minutes) eat a quantity of protein and carbs (tuna on bread for me - obviously), then do the warm down.

My clubmate Chris Finill and me after XC races would do a warm down while actually eating while we went. Potentially annoying for some as we would be eating, talking and going faster than some could race at.

Incidentally, Chris and some of the other guys are so focused on the races that they routinely forget all the back up supplies such as food, drink, extra socks and post race cleaning gear such as flannel and towel. They know where I am. I'm currently in deficit to two pairs of socks.

The other warm down solution is to go out a few hours later instead of just after the main effort, hence a walk to the bus or chip shop, or pubimage.

Training then!

Can I be bothered to go out?

My average weekly mileage was dented yesterday, but so far this year its been just under 70 miles. It's a means to an end, I should remember that.

However, I'm feeling so much better than I did, I'm tempted to repeat yesterday's virtual nothing. 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice PBing Simon image That time definitely shows a lack of mileage though image

Proper warming down and eating doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it should with me - depends on what facilities are at the race as far as food is concerned.

Day off for me yesterday - though jobs in the garden and a long walk instead!

8.2 hilly first thing today - slow as anything and legs felt like lead! I probably need a break, but now's not really the time....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good pb Simon, especially with your years in the game and current level!

The amount of races I've done where I seem to be nearly the only one even bothering to cool down or stretch after is, well, seemingly all of them! The closest I've seen to protein loading has been watching someone oaf down a burger!

But anyway, i had a little race last night....

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

..... come on, come on - stopping keeping us in suspense image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

He is busy writing a four-post report, Bus.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He could have done that last night! Bleedin' liberty....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

sorry...too many people asking me work stuff in between

I'm trying to write my report people!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

let's see if we can beat the thread record for length of a 5k report!

And I'll hide the time in amongst it, so people can't just scan it. Savour every word!

on we go.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Battersea Park 5k. I'd seen Dach's report, i'd checked the standard, so I thought, I'd get myself down there.

Was cursing a bit that I'd found a fast good standard 5k at the same time I'm trying to get rid of this rib muscles inflammation, but thought I'd give it a go, and could dress it up as a "good training session", or "race practice" if needed.

After a weekend of two trips to Wembley, (one massively heartbreaking) and a morning jog yesterday not exactly feeling gorgeous, I set off on the hour drive thinking, is this a good idea, this is definitely not a good idea, what in blazes am I doing, for a 7pm race start.

Got there, had a long walk to find registration, and was trying to ignore I was breathing a bit heavier than I'd like just walking. Also felt blimming windy, and undulating. So basically full on pre race panic!

Had seen that the last race had about 20 people sub 17, so suspected I wouldn’t be anywhere near the top end, so just thought, i’ll run as it comes.
    I’ve only done 2 5ks in the last 18months, with them both being the Wycombe parkrun where I cruised to 2nds, so a decent race over the distance felt pretty rare. So different to the days I used to do 5 over 6weeks or so.

Set off, and used 3.24 per km as a light benchmark, knowing that’s 17 dead fare.
    Through first km in 3.18, so a good start, a little ahead of “target”, but not madly so. Route felt quite nice and flat, unlike the bits I’d walked round earlier, and the wind had largely disappeared too.

Second km is always key. You need that on track, to give confidence you haven’t got too excited in km1. 3.25 sounded good to me, this was going alright.
    2 lap course, so past the start/finish areas, and could I keep this going for half way and 3k? Was delighted to see a 3.25 again, consistent, and from this point knew something good could be on the agenda. Didn’t want to get too excited, as targets can disappear instantly in a 5k. However, I knew that i had a few seconds for a possible sub 17.

K4 is often the hardest km, the effort versus split always seem not to make sense. But if you can get to 4k sort of on track, you give yourself a chance of a last km rampage. 3.28 split. Didn’t try and do any maths, but put effort into working at the right intensity.

Definitely helped having a little gang around at different stages to work off, overtook a few near the end, and was screaming in my head, where is that finish.

Came up to sight of the clock, it’s in the mid 1650s..... 1654, 1655...time seems to last forever, and finally lunge for the line and over...

16.58 on my watch, but will they find extra to add?

Wandered about a bit, trying to engage a few randoms in conversation, including a guy who pre race was sporting what can only be described as a “manic grin”. Not sure if he was a little bit mad, or just nervous. Some Serpentine woman looked about as keen to chat as she was to share a lift with someone with severe Bauchschmerzen.

But anyway, i thought i’d hang about until the prize giving, just so i could hear what time 7th did, to roughly benchmark against.
    Typically they started with vet women, then women, then vet women, while i was looking at my watch remembering an hour drive home to come...

When I heard one of the V50 prizes was 18.01, and I didn’t recognise him as beating me, I started thinking, i might just sneak a medal here.

A

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

And so it proved... 7th place medal, which is odd, but I lapped it up, and definitely sub 17, though i didn’t hear the exact in the unlikeliness of the medal.

Had to check the results today, for a confirmed 16.59 (weasels always find an extra second don’t they) delighted with that in the circumstances, and promises better for fully fit days. Knew i wasn’t far off fitness wise, so while not the 16.53 of 2 years ago, will take this for sure.

Nice little race, good flat course, very generous with the prizes, and I obviously got away with it being a bank holiday and smaller turn out. Incredibly generous on the women’s prizes though. When there were perhaps 2/3 men there, to still have the same ratio of prizes for women’s places is amazing. Interesting to see V50 is the cut off not V40 though. A sign that we don’t drop off as much as 40 as we think? Let’s hope so!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well done SG, good to see you nibbling under that 17 minute barrier again, just about though!  It's a really nice race in the right conditions, sounds like it could have been a bit quicker with less wind.  The medals for 7 places is a bit unusual, but I suppose it's that instead of finisher medals.

Excellent 10K PB Simon, I still maintain that it isn't the fastest 10K course out there, so think there's a little more to come off that in a quicker race.  It's also very polite of you to remain behind my PB.

Good mileage Ric.

Thanks all for the good luck wishes for the race this weekend.  Unfortunately, I'm not racing until this coming weekend, so I shall just carry them over.  It's the Bristol 10K, and I've just received my number in the post and found I've been put in pen 3 out of 4.  I hope that's a mistake and that they can rectify it, as otherwise there's no point me running.

Spent the long weekend in the Peak District, first time I've been up there and very nice it was too.  As always, I had good intentions of getting some proper old school trail running in, but I struggle with finding time on family holidays.  The one time I managed to get out, I tried taking random public footpaths and going off road, but every time I did I ran into a bunch of unsignposted tracks in the middle of a field, or a sudden impassable wall, or a ten-foot high pile of manure, so always had to turn back and get on the roads like the pussy I am.  Noticed on Sunday that the signs were out for the Buxton half marathon a couple of miles from where we were staying - think if I'd known that beforehand I may have been tempted, but it wouldn't have gone down too well with my wife.

EDIT: I have just found out that the Bristol 10K people have, unprompted, sent me a fresh race pack with a note that they'd made an error, so that's all right then.  Problem resolved before I even had to lift a finger!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Well done SG. Although I am focused on the tri season now, the sub 17min 5k is my primary running target. Jumped on the scales the other day and I am at my lightest for over a decade. So despite not doing running a lot, hopefully that's a good sign.

Nice 10k SC very impressive.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one SG - quite short report that image. I hadn't realised they are every Monday - I thought it was just the first Monday of the month. Might do one in a couple of weeks

Dachs - imagine a planner not being able to use a map image. Very inconsiderate of you not to race Bristol this weekend when we'd wished you luck by the way...!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I didn't have the map with me.  Is that the trick?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It helps, but that would require some form of bum bag of course................