Options

Apple Watch as a running watch

I normally use the Nike+ GPS Sportwatch. It may not have all the metrics that some runners want, but I am more or less satisfied with it, used in conjunction with the Nike+ Shoe Sensor. 

Im in the Nike ecosystem so to speak, with 6000+km of runs logged there. 

Recently received my apple watch and have used both the nike+ app and the native apple running app. 

My impressions of Nike+ App:

It works ok and is pretty enough and useable enough but it has two major drawbacks.

Firstly, It shows pace intra run but not average pace. It only shows average pace after the run. That's pretty rubbish

Secondly, it absolutely requires the use of an attached and charged iPhone. This is because even though the watch has a built in accelerometer, the nike app insists on using the phone accelerometer or GPS (the watch does not have onboard GPS).

For the accelerometer, Nike recommend to "carry the iPhone in the hand" for accurate results. Obviously, if we are going to lug along an iPhone, many of us are going to have it in an armband or backpack. Bad move nike... just use the accelerometer on the watch!

On the plus side, I did a four hour training run using the watch and phone with gps switched off and at the end the watch still had more than half of it's charge. However, i estimate that it was about 3km off the correct distance I would get with the GPS sport watch. I did not try a long run with the GPS switched on, I guess it would burn through the phone battery pretty fast though.

Impressions on the Apple native running app: 

Again, no average pace displayed intra run. Clearly the developers aren't serious runners! 

Secondly, data is only exported to the "activity" app on the iPhone. It's a shame that you can't export data to your favourite running tool like Nike or Strava or whatever. 

With an ultra coming up next month, there is currently no way I could rely on the apple watch during the race. I'll have to revert to the GPS sport watch unfortunately.

Comments