Atrial Flutter...What Next?

Comments

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

ronhar   You seem to have a number of issues. My condition was simple: constant flutter. Once that was seen to, with the catheter ablation, everything (?) was sorted.

Nothing to stop you from requesting another review of your options. And being on Warfarin already would set you up for a procedure.

Strange about your restricted heart-rate range. Mine was the opposite; if I tried too hard to up the pace then my heart rate could go well over 200.

Don't jump to conclusions about the hip. I have usually found that seeing a good physio was the best way of finding out what the real problem was. But, if you see your GP you would  probably be sent for an x-ray, eventually.

Surprised you can still run 5-6 days; I've generally stuck to alternate days, and my body always says, 'Thank you' for the recovery day in between.    All the best Ron.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Legs were feeling rather 'used' yesterday, following the previous day's 14 miler. But equally used so I guess that's OK. Not sure that the compression socks helped although they were very comfortable during the run. Have only used them a couple of times, and still not sure what to make of them. They seem to mask leg- tiredness, and are not as comfy for the toes as my usual socks. Any comments?

Having decided that this week should be 'mainly easy running', to give my body time to recover from what seems to be a 'deep tiredness' from my last three months' activities, I decided to go for an eight mile steady run this morning. For me that means 3-3 breathing, and a sustainable pace (up to about half marathon), and no chasing!

Plan: 8 miles, 3-3 breathing, even pace/effort, concentrate on form and foot-strike. (With only a light breeze, I thought that it should be around 9:15 to 9:30 pace)

Result: Got into a comfortable rhythm, and only glanced at the watch as each mile registered. Very slight adverse breeze on the outward four miles, and very slightly favourable on the return. Times:8:47 (incl. slope down to prom.) 9:19, 9:24, 9:26 // 9:04, 9:07, 9:07, 9:46 (incl. slope up to road). Average H.R.136, with a max. of 147 up the hill, otherwise 142. Cadence av.167. Average speed 9:15.  Happy.

Conditions look ideal for Saturday's parkrun, but will resist the temptation. Best to leave it another week. Still thinking about a hill session at the week-end.

Next week I would like to start on some of the shorter/faster reps from the marathon schedule; possibly 200s or 400s, which will hopefully be useful for 5k/10k prep. They will also be good indicators as I work towards improving my mile time. Having consolidated my 13/14 mile long run this week I will wait another week before extending.       Happy running everyone.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Parkrun conditions were ideal, but I volunteered this week, and hopefully I'll be ready for the 5k next week. However, with the conditions remaining good all day, I decided that my reward for an afternoon's gardening was a set of hills.

After a two mile warm-up, including some strides, I set about the hill session. It is a hill that I have run many times; a little steep and around 160m. It is three years since I last did a set of ten hills, so I wasn't sure how well it would go.

The average time was 74secs, with the final one at 69. The slow jog down averaged 98secs. These times are 4 or 5 secs slower than they were three years ago, but I feel I was running with some caution.

Heart rate reached 149,151, 151, 154, 153, 154, 155, 154, 155, and 157. Happy. 

Very glad to be running hills again, and to see that the heart rate kept to a reasonable level. I will have the confidence to give it a bit more effort next time.

Have a great Bank holiday!

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Legs asked for a second rest day, and there was no point in arguing. Blame it on the gardening. But this morning we were good to go. Dipping into the marathon schedule, I picked out a track session; 200m x 12 with a 200m recovery: 50secs/90secs. The 200m in 50secs looked OK, but I wasn't too sure about the 90 secs being adequate for the 200m recovery.  

Result: The two mile jog to the track was a useful warm-up, (9:30 miling) and I followed this with a couple of laps with strides and stretches  before the 200s. Times: 49, 50, 52, 50, 50, 50, 51, 51, 49, 49, 51, 50, 44. Recoveries all at 90 secs. Yes, there were 13 reps as I doubted my counting, and wanted to make sure.  Heart rate was reaching around 150, but touched 160 for the last, faster effort.

Following the set of 200s I went straight into a 400m effort, to get some idea of how realistic one of the other sessions would be (400m x 8 in 1:45). Time:1:48.

Conclusion: Happy with the main session, and could have continued comfortably. With fresh legs the 400m in 1:45 seems realistic, but the 90 sec, 200m recovery will be the test. But that's for another week.

The two mile return was feeling good at just over 9 min.miling. Hoping to do some easy miles on grass in the next couple of days. And want to see what I can manage at Saturday's parkrun. Still trying to get closer to 25 mins.  Happy.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

This morning's session was 10 miles on grass, alternating 10 and 9 minute miling.

Still unsure of the benefits of running on grass. The theory is great, but the reality is something else. Perhaps it's just where I run. But the unevenness challenges my ankles. Quite breezy this morning, and with some twists and turns on the circuit, I didn't find the session as comfortable as I had anticipated. Hope to still be in shape for a good effort at Saturday's parkrun. 

Results: 9:37, 8:53, 9:58, 9:09, 10:20, 9:01, 10:36, 8:54, 10:35, 8:47.          Breathing was maintained at 3-3 throughout. Heart rate was around 133 for the slow miles, and around 145 for the 9 minute miles. Cadence: 162 for the slow miles and 168 for the faster ones.

Decided to slow down the pace of the slower miles, as I felt the whole thing could start to merge into one mediocre mess. Probably means that I still need to improve my pace judgement, so that I can feel a clear distinction between a 9 minute mile and a 10 minute mile. On the positive side, it indicates that 9 minute miling is becoming so much easier than it was at the beginning of the year.     Happy.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Parkrun has come and gone. Not quite what I wanted; just three seconds better than my previous one in February. But having moved on from 70 to 71, my age grading moved up from 68 to 69%. So, a reality check; upping the speed will not be easy. However, after quite a demanding week, and less than three weeks back in the country, I have to be thankful for a move in the right direction.

Three hours later, still feeling a sense of unfinished business, I set off for a familiar five mile run. Brisk but not flat out. Attempted 9 min.miling going out, and 8:30 miling on the return. Very close. I equalled my time from February. That was my best run on that route since the heart procedure, back in October, last year. Happy.

Not planning any more runs this week but will attempt an analysis of where I am in relation to 'where I was', and try to determine what loss, if any, there has been in my performance that could be attributed to Atrial Flutter and Catheter Ablation.

Meanwhile, I am still going to 'follow' the sub-4 marathon training schedule, which includes at least one session each week that could benefit my speed. At the end of the week I would like to try a brisk half marathon distance, as I am feeling that the longer runs are becoming easier. Heart rate has been a little high today, but has not quite reached maximum at any point.      Happy.               Enjoy the week-end.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Not coping too well with this global warming! First day of June, and could have been anywhere from November to April. Also, fresh south westerly wind, so not really the best day for a 'progressive' run along the promenade. However, after letting the rain squalls pass over I headed out for an eight mile run.

The only thing to learn from this run was that it is hard to run against the wind, and easier running with it. But I already knew that. Result was that I found it easy to run three miles at well over ten minute miling, and three at around nine minute miling, with an effort on mile seven to go sub eight minutes.

Looking at the weather forecast, I'm guessing that my next run will probably be on Thursday; possibly a track session. I'll hope to do a set of 400s or 1000s and then a half Marathon distance at the end of the week if the body agrees. Feeling a bit under-ready at the moment, but perhaps that is due to this morning's dental treatment!    Hope you find some good running conditions where you are.

• Hi guys. Catheter ablation plus 22 months. Age 54 now. Put all the weight I lost back on, still get ectopic beats and AF for around ten seconds at a time but apparently not classed as AF unless 30 seconds or over.

Single biggest factor seems to be balanced hydration. 5 miles I can manage, 9 miles brings on the missing beats. Recently trying 7 miles with an additional litre of balanced hydration (like Nuun) and so far so good. 

Max HR was 212, now have got it up to 180 at a push. RHR was 54 now around 72. Still get dizzy spells, no idea why. Had a lot of "flame outs" apparently low blood pressure, still no idea why. Maybe stomach related, we are not sure.

Take a lot longer to warm up, 1.5-2 miles instead of less than half a mile.

If anyone ever makes use of this thread, great!

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Dustboy Thanks for dropping by. Interesting to hear about your situation. Never heard about hydration being a factor. Did you just find out by experimenting? As I've mentioned previously, I think my AF must have been the most straight forward possible; even though I was in constant AF for about 20 months, the catheter ablation sorted it out, and there seem to have been no other issues (like dizziness, ectopic beats, and blood pressure). Seven months since my procedure.

What running can you do now, without symptoms? Can you still give a 10k maximum effort e.g.?

Weather is looking up today, so I'm off to the track to try a set of 400m reps.

Thanks again for dropping by. Likewise hope that this is useful. Michael.

• The consultant mentioned hydration initially although I had just about got there myself. But the extra litre idea is only a month or so old, so still unproven. But all seems good so far. Water alone doesn't cut it, always use a hydration tablet, high 5 zero are the best bang for buck. Nuun Cola tastes the best.

Re max effort, no, it won't do it, though it is improving. a year ago I tried to pull my end of race sprint out of the bag on a training run, got 20 metres and the brakes simply came on and slowed to a bare shuffle. Now, I can get about 85% of an end of race sprint but for a shorter period. 

Whereas before I could run the last half of a 5K at 192bpm and peak to 212 (throwing up point) on the sprint at the end, now 170 sees me struggling and 182 came up for the first time the other day at the end.

Now, disciplines that require a lower heartbeat seem to be less affected so on the bike, I can do most of what I could do before but with the "flame outs" I have been just ticking over until I can figure them out. They don't SEEM to be ticker related.

Sorry it's not particularly accurate info but I went from Ironman fit two years ago down to 10K being a big thing again. 

The single biggest factor I have identified affecting speed though, is weight. When I was a stone lighter when I was ill, I fairly flew along.  

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Dustboy, interesting details. Glad that you are still able to work out on the bike, and pleased that you are seeing some improvement with the 10km effort. That's a huge difference; Ironman fit, down to 10k attempts. Never been Ironman fit myself, but really ought to do some cross training. Did work on my front crawl some years ago, but I didn't see much difference between front-crawl speed and treading water. lol. Having said that I was best in school at breast stroke. (What a memory).

If you can work on your weight reduction, I'm sure that you would be happier with your results. Fortunately,weight isn't a real problem for me, and at just over ten stone  (145 pounds) I'm the lightest I've ever been in my running years.

This morning's track session went quite well. Here are the results:

Plan: 2 mile jog to track, then 400m (at 1:45) x 8 with 200m recovery in 90 secs.

Results: Warm-up run to track at 9:45 pace, with max. h.rate 135, average:130.   Preparation consisted of four laps with stretches and strides.

Times: 1:41, 1:48, 1:46, 1:46, 1:46, 1:46, 1:46, 1:45, All recoveries at 90secs. Breathing was 2-2 for the 400s, and unlike with last week's 200s, I wouldn't have been able to extend this session for more than one or two reps. As I expected, the 90 secs was barely enough between the 400s. The heart rates also seem to indicate that I was reaching my limit: 151, 152, 157, 158, 159, 161, 161, 162.

Happy to have completed this session, as the wind was still cutting, unhelpfully, across half of the track. It was useful to find where my limits are, at that pace. This indicates that most of the other sessions in the sub-4 marathon schedule should be possible. I realise that I am training with one eye on where I want to be, rather than where I am, but with the combined purposes of 'improving pace' and ' extending distance' there were always going to be some conflict areas. However, after June I'll probably need to have a single focus, and simply prepare for the long run.

Meanwhile, I must listen to my body, and endeavour to remain injury-free. Happy.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

The intended half marathon run didn't happen this week, due to parental duties taking us to Chipping Norton for the week-end. Daughter came up with a ten mile run that had some 'undulations', and some farm tracks! It was another run that clearly pointed out my limits and weaknesses! Mile seven was an uphill, rutted farm trail at the edge of a field. My average pace for that mile was 10:35!

Generally, it was noticeable how much I slowed on the uphill sections, made clear by my daughter's metronomic pace. But then I made up for it on the flat, and even more so on the downhill sections, where my daughter couldn't stay with me. It was a good run, average pace 9:15. But it didn't really fit in with my schedule. Never mind, there are more important things than sticking to a schedule.

Will see how I feel in the morning, and possibly run the half marathon distance, and hopefully improve on my previous (post AF) time of 1:55:42. Then I'll fit in some easier runs before Friday night's 10k.

Very pleased to find that I can keep going on a challenging ten miles, and even manage a sub-8 minute final mile, that was only two-thirds downhill.   Happy.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

OK. So it wasn't the best idea to run a half marathon, and expect a great result, especially with the hard ten miles two days ago. Must also add that the promenade today was serving as a beach extension for a couple of miles. Very sandy.

On this out-and-back run I kept to 3-3 breathing on the way out, and expected to be close to nine minute miling. On the return I moved to 2-2 breathing, and hoped to average nearer 8:45 miles. (I would still have to find some faster miles to improve my previous time.)

Times: 8:57, 9:26, 9:25, 9:16, 9:14, 9:10, 9:09, 9:16, 9:15, 9:05, 8:56, 8:54, 8:45.

The 13.1 miles took 1:59:40. The two halves averaged 9:14 miles, and 9:02. Needed to work hard to come in under 2 hours, and heart rate increased by about one beat per minute, each mile; averages increasing from 140-153.

Despite setting myself up to fall short, I'm very happy that I am able to work at this intensity, without any issues. Also encouraged to think that with a sensible preparation the half marathon time will come down.

Plan to do some easy miles this week, and throw in a couple of miles at intended 10k pace (in prep for Friday's 10k) Then, next week, would like to run some 1000m reps on the track. Need to work in my next long, slow run some time; move it up to 16 or 17 miles.    Hope you get some sunshine where you are. Enjoy.

• Hi all, thanks for the reply MrM2. Sorry I havent replied to your thread. Explanation below image

Im 54 and have run to a reasonable level for nearly 30 years now. What was eventually diagnosed as AF, began to come on in bouts about 10 years ago though I have had irregular heart beats on & off most of my adult life, usually food related , hence the trouble I had getting a diagnosis. My AF bouts came on unannounced, brought an irregular heart beat and because of this I was unable to walk upstairs without breathlessness. Added to that Im an asthmatic and it's all a sticky mess, really. My condition came & went, I could be stricken for a few days and then the day it cleared up, I could go out for a 10 mile run no problem. I could be out of action for a few days, up to 4-5 weeks. Then last year it all seemed to take a turn for the worse and in September I once again came down with a bout of it (the 3rd time in one year) only this time it didn't go away and it was very debilitating. The struggle for a diagnosis began, eventually it was diagnosed as AF and an ablation was proposed, as was drugs-  which I didn't want. I take warfarin but that's it. I was also down for a Cardioversion, in case the ablation didn't come in time, which turned out to be the case. After the CV I felt better instantly, though the threat of the return of irregular heartbeat was always hanging over me. I planned to gently ease myself into exercise (I was already trying walking for an hour) to get me into good shape for the scheduled ablation in mid - May.

And then, I went out on my bike on a lovely Summer's evening for the gentlest of rides, had a spill, shattered my elbow and all bets were off, ablation cancelled, I had to come off warfarin and my INR results meant I went to the back of the queue again (I need 4 x weeks of good INRs before they consider me for treatment). Aaargh! so near and yet so far! But through a fairly traumatic period, my heart has maintained sinus rhythm.

I'm now 2 weeks away from another minor op on my arm, and hopefully no more plaster, and either 1 week or 3 weeks away from the ablation, depending on scheduling. Hopefully after that I can begin the long road back.

Thanks for posting your stories chaps, they are really interesting to see what is in store for me. Presently I'm taking the view that post ablation I can't be any worse off than I have been for the past few months, but I can see it's very much a day by day, week by week affair. Please do keep posting though.

Thanks Alan

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Welcome back, Alan. Sticky mess indeed. But good on you for picking your way through the issues, and still looking forward to the long road back! Keep in touch, and let us know how you progress. Must have been so frustrating to have got so close to your ablation date, and then to get blown off course. Hope that you don't have any problems this time.

Have to say again how pleased I am to be doing proper sessions; hills, intervals, and variety of distances. It's hard to iron out all the variables, and to allow for age difference, to come up with a comparison with the level I was at before AF, but I sense that I'm still 15-20 secs/mile adrift.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much. And if I've lost it I'm not sure where it went. Still, I'll continue charting my progress(?) for a few more months, and then I'll accept the outcome. Meanwhile I'll push on with some speed work and some long, slow runs, leading up to the Gdansk Marathon in August.  Regards, Michael.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

My new trainers (Asics Cumulus 16) had been waiting long enough for their first outing, so with 350 miles and 450 miles on my current pairs of 16s it was time to give them their first look at Hengistbury Head.

Plan: Six mile run, with mile 4 at an ambitious 10k pace (8:20), other five miles relaxed, and not faster than 10 minute miling.

Result: 10:23, 10:20, 10:28, 8:13, 9:57, 10:27. 2-2 breathing for mile 4, others 3-3.

Average heart rate o'all was 129, but without the fast mile would have been 125(?)

To be honest, I expected my slow miles to be near to 10 minute miling, but slopes and gusty winds in the first and last miles didn't help.

So, a slow, easy run, with a preparation mile for Friday's 10k, and a gentle breaking-in of the new trainers. Who said multi-tasking was only for the ladies?  Happy.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

The rain almost stayed away for this evening's 10k, but not quite. A challenging run, on forest trails with various levels of unevenness, with mud patches and ruts that required constant little adjustments of stride length, and direction.

An enjoyable work-out, but with an uncertain outcome. No distance markers, and a questionable 10 km. Possibly slightly short. Official results available tomorrow. Unofficial time was 52:35,which is half a minute quicker than the previous 10k back in December. And this was a much more demanding course.

Not quite the 8:20 mile pace that I mentioned in the previous post; at best 8:24 and at worst 8:44. Heart rate for the middle 4 miles: 151, 151, 152, 153. climbed to 155 in the last mile, and touched 162 with the fast finish. (Max.hr is 163)  Happy.

Slight return of the uncomfortable right ankle, but if it agrees I'll hope to do a long, slow run on Sunday.   Enjoy your week-end of running. 

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Great conditions this morning for a long run. Out the door well before 6 am..

Plan: 16.5 miles (out and back). Keep to 3-3 breathing throughout. Outward 8 miles at slow pace (10:15/mi?). Transition mile. Then 7 miles at marathon pace (9:00-9:15?). Attempt to keep constant effort on the slow miles, hoping to see a lower heart-rate. Attempt a constant effort on the faster miles, hoping to see a steady heart-rate.

Results: Having read that the slow pace cannot be too slow, I didn't try to increase the pace when I saw that the times were nearer 10:30/mi.

Times: 1.10:30, 2. 10:45, 3.10:42, 4.10:32, 5. 10:31, 6. 10:33, 7. 10:29, 8. 10:36. Average heart rates were: 111, 118, 119, 121, 120, 120, 118, 120.

Times: 9. 9:48, 10. 9:16, 11. 9:10, 12. 9:10, 13. 9:10, 14. 9:15, 15. 9:10, 16. 9:10. Average heart rates were: 124, 131, 133, 135, 136, 137, 139, 140.

Cadence on the slow miles averaged 163, and on the return 168. 

Very happy with the results. Worked hard to stay slow for the first half. An earlier idea was to do the whole run as a lsr, but wanted the comfort of some marathon miles, so split the run. Could feel some stiffness in the legs, during the faster phase, no doubt left over from the 10 k two days ago, and had to work hard to stay focussed and steady for 7 miles. The 9:10 pace certainly felt sustainable, but the rising heart rate might indicate otherwise. (?)      Enjoy the rest of your week-end.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Today would normally have been a rest day (alternate day running) but decided to add ten miles on to yesterday's 16, to make the marathon distance. I try to do this about three times in the marathon build-up, and it seems to work well. (You know the theory; running on tired legs with the second run, to simulate the latter stages of a marathon, but avoiding the need to go out for four or five hours, and retaining form/avoiding injury.) Second purpose of today's run was to take my new trainers up to ten miles. And thirdly, wanted to run a familiar route, to compare performance against previous times; from three and four years ago.

Today was about running by feel; the way I used to (pre-Garmin). Legs were feeling good, and trainers were comfortable. (Expect to use them for the marathon.) Conditions were good. Kept to 3-3 breathing until the last mile; went to 2-2 to gain a bit before the hill.

Mile times: 8:39, 9:00, 8:59, 8:57, 8:54, 8:47, 8:37, 8:52, 8:49, 9:11. Average:8:52. Av. H.R. for the run was 144. Miles 2 - 9 :140, 143, 145, 146, 146, 147, 147, 147.

Today's o'all time of 91:15, is between 5 and 7% longer than it was 3 - 4 years ago. I'll spend a bit of time with the age-graded tables to see how much of the decline can be put down to increased age. Tomorrow will be a rest day! And I'll check where all the aches are. A massage would be good. Might treat myself.   Happy.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Can't expect every day to go to plan. Prepared to tackle some 1000m reps on the track today, but found it was being used for a school event. So my two mile warm-up turned out over four miles, as I returned to the seafront to do a set of hills. Planned to do ten but left knee advised me to stop at eight.

The hills were 'comfortable', and slightly faster than the set I did almost four weeks ago, despite the adverse wind.  Happy.

Looking forward to Friday evening's 10k. Hoping to do a long slow run at the week-end. Plan to ease off next week, and possibly do a parkrun. Poole is tempting, being so flat, but they can get over 700 runners these days! Only 300 when I ran 24:17 three years ago. Would be happy to get near 25 minutes this year.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Last night's 10k was a clear reminder of how hard it is going to be to improve my race times. However, without looking for excuses (?) I need to see things in the context of increased weekly distances and longer runs, as I work towards my marathon goal. Still hoping to get close to 4 hours in Gdansk, in August. I have wondered if it might be better to think in terms of 4:15, and see how much I can improve on that time. But there is a 4 hour stubbornness that wont go away.

An undulating 10k (Purbeck) with a race limit of 500, strongly contested by local running clubs, so hardly your usual spread of abilities of larger events. An out-and-back run, giving us all a glimpse of the fast, front runners. Leading the race was Steve Way, who finished in 32:37.

My chip time was 53:55, and I was awarded the trophy for 1st V70. To put it in context; there were only three of us in that category. But you can only race against those that turn up. Position was 307/428 and 216/255 M.

Last year when I ran this route for the first time, I was still in constant Atrial Flutter, and could only manage 66 minutes. So, a 12 minute improvement tells you I'm a very happy man.

After the run I had an overdue massage. Calf muscles were very tight, and the massage was one of those experiences where you feel 'this must be doing me good!' So now to focus more specifically on the marathon distance. Hoping to do a lsr tomorrow.    Enjoy your week-end running. 

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Out of the house soon after 5 o'clock this morning, for my lsr.

Plan: Extend my long run to 18 mi, using the 'new' trainers, keeping to 3-3 breathing. Try to maintain a steady, slow pace for the first 11 miles, then on the return, continue the same perceived effort for three miles, then three miles at marathon pace, and a final warm-down mile. Expected to run 11 miles at 10:15 pace with the slight winds being adverse, and expected the return, at similar effort, to be about 9:45 pace, with a following wind. Would try to run the marathon pace miles at between 9:00 and 9:15 pace.

Results: Breathing was 3-3 for the whole run. Outward miles felt very comfortable. Times: 9:41, 10:07, 10:11, 10:06, 10:00, 10:01, 10:02, 10:14, 10:05, 10:09, 10:13. Return miles, easy: 9:38, 9:28, 9:34. 'Mara. pace': 8:58, 9:10, 8:48 . wm/dn:10:56. Yes, the three 'marathon pace miles were too fast. Hard to judge with a slight following wind. And the third one?...OK, yes, there was a runner in front of me who simply had to be overtaken.

Average heart rate was between 124 and 128 for the first 11 miles. Next three were 128 to 134, three marathon pace miles were 139, 140 and 146. O'all average: 129. Cadence today was between 162 and 169, even though I tried to increase it.

Very happy with today's results, but know that I've been sailing close to the wind with my training strategy, especially over the last two weeks. But I have added a lot more easy miles than I have ever done before. So my weekly mileages in May were 26, 26, 27, 26. And in June: 26, 42, 42. Another six weeks to go, plus a two week taper. Next week will be much lighter, but I want to do a track session and a parkrun.   Enjoy the rest of your week-end.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Today's plans didn't quite work out. However, I'm generally pleased with the results.

The main activity was to have been a track session; 5/6 x 1000m in 5 mins with 200m recoveries in 90 secs. These were going to be a test, as I haven't been able to get far at 8 min miling recently. Also wanted to fit in a 5 mile run, to make comparisons with previous performances.

Got out soon after 6am, and warmed-up around the block before setting off on the five mile run. Didn't give it quite everything, but with 2-2 breathing throughout, it was going to be a concentrated effort!

Result: Mile times: 7:57, 8:41, 8:18, 8:20, 8:59. Average: 8:27. Total: 42:15. The out&back run includes a hill in the first (and last) mile. Disappointed with the second mile, but OK overall, and gives 69.84% in the AG tables that I'm using. Hoping to bring all distances up to 70%, but more of that tomorrow.

Went to the track in the afternoon, but found another schools event under way. Plan 'B' was to run sections of the parkrun, which has recently had km posts positioned around the route. Not sure of their accuracy, and the mainly grass kms that I used are not flat. So I ran in both directions to even things out. Not ideal.       Results: Km times: 4:48, 4:55, 4:55, 5:03, 5:15. Average approx.5:00.

(Glad that I had my old Timex stop-watch on as well as the Garmin. The Garmin 'froze' and I spent half an hour on the 'phone being talked through the re-set procedure. Thankfully it worked, and we're back in business, but data was lost.)

Tomorrow will be a rest day. I'll write up my most recent analysis, which is (still) a tentative answer to the question posed in the original post regarding a return to pre-AF levels.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

OK. Not an article for a medical journal, but simply an attempt to determine whether or not I've been able to return to my former levels of running.

Context: 71 yr old male, running for 25yrs. Catheter Ablation on 31-Oct-2014, to sort out my heart which was in constant Atrial Flutter for 20 months. Although I continued running throughout my Flutter months my speed was slower by about 2 mins/mile.

Background: Following my heart procedure my focus for Nov/Dec was on HR stability, through a range of paces and distances. This year I have worked more on speed, but have been extending distances in preparation for an August marathon. Ten weeks were spent working in the tropics, with restricted running opportunities.

Evaluation: Basing my assessment on Age Gradings in previous years: Picking my best results, in each year since turning 60, the AG has been around 70% (69-74) in distances from 1 mile to Marathon, until AF, (then it was between 55 and 63%).

Best results this year have been 69.8% in 5mile and Half Mar..

To achieve 70%, I will need to improve by 8secs/mile in Mile, 5k, 10k and 10miles. However only 2 secs/mile needed in Half Mar.. Considering all the variables; general health, weight, injuries, training focus, etc. I'm surprised at the consistency.

So What? My feeling is that there has almost been a return to where I was three years ago, and that it is only a matter of time and training before I'm there.

What Next? I'll continue to post for July and Aug. Possibly going abroad in Sept. .

A great journey so far. Hope it encourages others with heart issues. Very Happy.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Today's run was 8 miles; alternate 9 min/mi and 10 min/mi.. Maintained 3-3 breathing throughout. Heart rate was about 140 and 130 for the two paces. O'all average134. Haven't got all the splits, but they were very close. (This was not the most sensible time to explore the Garmin's functions!)

Not a demanding run but not comfortable for some reason. Legs are feeling wooden. Hopefully the rest day tomorrow will see me right for Saturday's parkrun. Would like to take a few more seconds off my recent best. Sunday's run is planned to be a straight forward, slow run of about ten miles.   Happy running.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Decided on the Poole parkrun this morning, and felt good in the great conditions. Very happy with the result of 25:27; best for three years. Position 284/652. AG 70.11%.  Breathing was 2-2 throughout, and the average HR was152, with a 162 at the end.

The significance of this run is that I have direct comparisons with runs in 2012. I would need to improve by 20 seconds to match the Age grading achieved three years ago, but I'm happy to be back above 70%.  Enjoy your week-end running.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Didn't re-jig the schedule for today, as it gave me an easy 8 mile run at 10 mi/mi. Feeling a bit jaded today (too much 'cross-training'?....gardening and car-washing.)

First 7 miles in 70:02. Garmin helped me to keep within a few secs. of intended pace, but I'm still trying to improve my own pace judgement. 

Breathing throughout was an easy 3-3, and average heart rate was 121. Beginning to see a lowering of heart-rates, and hoping that this will benefit my marathon goal.

This has been an easy mileage week; 28, but the schedule now takes it up to 42, and includes the first of only two 20 mile runs, next Sunday. I'll see how that goes, but feel inclined to do more long runs in the five remaining weeks before the two week taper starts. And in any case I'll be doing two or three more '26 miles over two consecutive days' that have been helpful in the past.

Enjoy the rest of the week-end.  Happy running.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Broke one of my rules today by running a third consecutive day. But yesterday was easy running, and Saturday was only the parkrun. The morning looked good, and I felt good, and the track was unlikely to be in use on a Monday morning.

Plan: 2 mile warm-up on track, then 6 x 1000m in 5mins with 200m/90sec recoveries.(The 8 laps of warm-up included strides and stretches).

Results:

1)   4:51  max h.r. 145, recovery 1:31, h.r. down to 117

2)   5:01  max h.r. 149, recovery 1:30, h.r. down to 125

3)   5:01  max h.r. 150, recovery 1:36, h.r. down to 126

4)   5:00  max h.r. 154, recovery 1:31, h.r. down to 129

5)   5:03  max h.r. 153, recovery 1:25, h.r. down to 133

6)   5:01  max h.r. 153,  Warm-down mile, and stretches.

Overall I'm very happy with this session as it felt comfortable, and I could have added one or two more reps. The climbing max h.r and the climbing recovery h.r. would probably indicate that the six reps session was about right. My initial pace was nearer 7 mi/mi, and I changed my breathing from 2-2 to 3-3 at times which adjusted the pace.

The sub-4 marathon schedule that I'm using as a guide, steps up from a four-run to a five-run week, for six weeks, i.e. with three consec days each week. I will modify that to max. four runs. While I'm running slow miles for the first time, and buying into the theory of 'building a bigger engine', I cannot understand the reason for including a '3 mile easy' run in four of the remaining weeks. Any wisdom out there? (We used to say, 'Answers on a post card, please.' but that would probably need explaining in 2015?)     Enjoy some Summer running this week.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Ablation + 8 months.

Today is a rest day (apart from gardening) and a good day to look back over the last 8 months, and see the progression since my heart procedure. It has been 8 months of feeling my way forward. Perhaps I could have got here more quickly? But 'making haste slowly' often seems to be the judicious route.

Nov/Dec: Mainly testing H.R. stability in a range of paces and distances up to 13'. Returned to Parkrun, and ran 10km race in 53:04 (69.13 A.G.).

Jan: Established max.H.R. of 163;   same as formula: 202-(0.55 x Age). Included more track sessions; e.g.Yasso 800s and 400m reps (400m x 10 in 1:48). Also shorter reps such as 200m x 8 in 49 secs. All recoveries in 1:30/200m.

Feb: Increased pace on some training runs, e.g. Half Mar. (01:55:42). Continuing to work on Parkrun times; new best since AF: 25:39. Track work included 1600m in 7:29 and 400m x 10 in 1:46.

Mar/Apr: Working in Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines (v.hot) but still able to run 3-4 times most weeks (av.20miles/week). One experience of H.R. up to 165.

May: Started including hill sessions and more slow runs. Extended long runs to 14' as part of 13 wk. marathon prep. Faster track sessions, e.g. 200m x 13 in 50 secs.

Jun: Long run extended to 18 miles. Weekly mileage up to 42'. Ran two undulating 10k races. More hill sessions. Track session included 1000m x 6 in 5 mins.  Continued to work on Parkrun; 25:27, and back into 70%+ territory. 

It has been a tentative journey so far, but I'm so thankful to be back to 'normal' running with a heart rate that looks sensible. Doubt that this would provide a pattern for any other runner, but hope that it encourages someone.   Happy.

• Brilliant read, as always. Thought I'd dip back in.

My arm is now on the mend, out of plaster & into the mobility phase (ouch!)

Ablation planned next week. May's cardioversion still seems to be holding up well, despite all that has happened. I take this as a very encouraging sign.

I'll let you know how it goes. It won't be as comprehensive as your report!!image