Bournemouth Marathon Festival 2015 - Full Marathon

SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭
Hi All,

I had a quick scout round and couldnt see a thread for this years Bournemouth Marathon - so tok it upon myself to get one going.

I'm 99% sure i'll be in for this one but yet to enter - I'm looking for feedback from previous runners who have done Bournemouth as to how it fares for a PB course, taking into consideration things like course profile (few sharp hills), course location (high chance of strong headwind to sapp the legs) and also race nutrition - I see High 5 are providing gels but no other fluid options aside from water or carry your own.

Anyway - be good to hear from runners who have done the course in previous years and also get a chat going for those who are in for 2015.

Comments

• I ran Bournemouth in 2014, its a great course however there are some short falls.

At mile 18 you pass through the Finish line which is a wee bit distracting and as an added bonus after you pass through the finish you are greeted with a sharp hill which is tough!

Most of the race is flat and on the promenade of the cliff top, there are several switch backs which I know some people are big fans of.

PB potential, it'd be a bit tough but with a strong start on the flat sections I reckon its perfectly possible.

I thoroughly enjoyed last year hopwever beware if the wind is blowing it could be a few hours of PAIN.

Nick

• Hi

I entered the marathon on Friday! I am a local - live in Poole and the route goes past the door of our beach hut twice so thought it needed to be tackled. I know a few of my running club buddies ran it in its inaugural year in 2013 and they all seemed to enjoy it. It's essentially a flat course with just the two hills - general consensus is that if you power-walk up them, they're short enough that it won't damage your time too much.

As previously said, weather can make a massive difference to the route - the first year it was beautiful sunshine and relatively warm for an October weekend, however if it's windy/rainy, many miles along the prom are not enjoyable - trust me, I know!

Looking forward to it though. I did Paris two weeks ago and was really disappointed with my time - had been targeting my first sub 4 and training went really well but on the day it was hot and I came down with a hideous cold/sore throat that evening so the two things sapped my energy and I can in at 4.09. Signed up for Bournemouth to have another crack at it!

Kirst

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Its a nicely organised race with a big enough field for company. As said above mostly flat. Think the incline at mile 18 or so probably makes this a less than ideal PB choice.

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Cheers All,

The general feel is that the weather will be a major deciding factor on the day.... So in for a penny in for a pound, I'll stick my name in the hat I think!

Be good to get a thread going for all of those who are towing the start line.

Lineup with target times below:

Slinkz - Sub 3:05 (Weather permitting)

• I was looking at this one as well as its my home town so a good excuse to come back! Just waiting for the all clear from a toe injury before I commit to entering.

Thanks for setting up the thread Slinkz.

I've never run a marathon before but based on half marathon times I'm hoping I could get round in about 3:30.

• I had a race number last year. Wasn't too impressed with the price and no deferrals, had a knock a few weeks before so lost the money on it.
  • I'm really looking forward to it - am gunning for my first sub 4 and researching training plans that target this. Am tantalisingly close at the moment with 4.09 current PB although I knew in my heart I could have done better than that - one of those races where things just don't seem to come together. Especially looking forward to the fact that for the first time ever, I can sleep in my own bed and make my own tea the night before a marathon instead of hotels and restaurants and no travel! Plus loads of support from family and friends which i hope will give me the extra push i need on the day. Intend to use as much of the actual route as I can in my long training runs - especially the hill at mile 18.

Let's just hope the weather is favorable!

• Am thinking about this one. Quite expensive but then I guess there's a shirt included.

Does anyone know what size the field tends to be? I can't find the info on RW or on the Bournemouth website

• Was supposedly around 15k last year. Not sure whether that was just the marathon or a combo of the full and half.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

That was the combo Jack of full, half, 10km plus family runs probably.

The marathons last finisher was number 1968 so an OK field and probably top 20/25 in terms of marathon fields in UK.

• Hi All,

I'm considering this as i'm after a GFA place and had a very similar experience to Kirsty when i ran Brighton a few weeks ago. 

Caught a cold from my son (bless himimage) and woke up with a sore throat etc, and then spent a lovely 20 mins or so in a St Johns Ambulance tent at mile 21!

Is the hill at 18 a long/big hill or maybe just feels like it at that stage of the race?

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Good to see a bit of activity on here already.

Oompa - I'm after a GFA here as well, are you in the sub 3:05 category?

PeterFoster - Its all about the free t-shirt, aside from the beer/cake there's no other reason to be running.

Kirsty - Good to have a local on the thread, any advice on the post race refreshments would be greatly recieved!

I'm actually planning a weekend down in Bournemouth for August sometime - would be great to plan a thread 'training' run to have a recce of some of the route perhaps? Food for thought...

• Slinkz - I'm in the old git category... sub 3.15!

• Tony Hunt 3Tony Hunt 3 ✭✭✭

I'm going for a GFA this year at Bournemouth sub 3:15. I ran the marathon last year and this race imo is best raced as a positive split because of the hill at mile 18. My plan is 1:35/1:39 (grit my teeth and hang on).

The wind will play a massive factor as the prom is so exposed (regular training run). The first half of the race is net downhill so that is the quick part of the race. Look at the marathon results for last year and you'll see a 3/4 minute positive split in almost all the runners times. I promise you the hill at mile 18 would be hard at any point of the race.

• Tony - Thanks for the info. 

I ran my pb of 3.16.07 off of a 1.37.00 half split at London a couple of years ago.

Would you say a 2 minute cushion at half is enough?

Desperate for a GFA so if the hill's going to scupper this, i may look elsewhere?

I think Bournemouth is pretty quick course. I believe Chester and Manchester are the fastest.

I think you need to around 1:36 to give yourself a chance.

• Thanks Tony.

I think i'm leaning towards either Chester or an overseas recce to Amsterdam.

• Hi

I`m in looking for around the 4 hour mark

• Afternoon all. Just found this forum. Thinking about running this one. This would be my 7th full marathon if I make the start line...finished Brighton twice, London twice and Milton Keynes twice....yet to break the sub 4 mark although never committed hard enough to the training. Found my love for running again after 'falling out' with it for 12 months or so and since the beginning of this year have made sure I've run at least a mile a day and at the moment I'm up to 371 miles for the year....so thought it would be a shame for all the training to go to waste lets see if i can beat this 4 hour mark once and for all!! Will see how the next month or so of training goes and will then make a final decision!

P&D 18 week training plan starts this Monday for Bournemouth. Weirdly I can't wait to get started.

• Rob Jones 2Rob Jones 2 ✭✭✭

It's my home-town marathon and I've run it both years. Know the course and area well. Think PB is perfectly possible and hoping to go sub-3 for the first time this year.

Course is mostly flat and by the seaside...what's not to like? Well supported by and large. Plus don't believe any scare-mongering about the weather...the sun always shines on Bournemouth (well it has the last 2 years in any case).

Think the hill at 18miles has been overstated a bit. I'd estimate 400 to 500 metres max albeit at quite a sharp incline. Main problem is that it comes just when the legs (and brain) are starting to wobble for most. I'd recommend perhaps working some short, sharp hills into people's long runs to get used to doing them on tired legs. Having said that as long as you are mentally prepared for it, it's absolutely fine and would probably only add 2-3 minutes if you walked the whole way up! Plus you are rewarded with a corresponding downhill section back to the seafront a couple of miles later which the legs appreciate. After that, it's promenade all the way which tends to be the best supported stretch.

From memory, most of the gels stations are from 20 miles+ so might be worth taking one or two with you for those that prefer to take on their carbs a bit earlier. 

Which P&D plan are you doing Tony?

Wise words Rob although if the wind gets up you are screwed.

I'm doing the 18 week plan up to 55mpw. I'm doing the lowest mileage because in the last two marathons I've suffered injury during every marathon training block so I'm really looking for consistency. If I get through the schedule it will be the highest mileage before a marathon that I've done by some distance.

I'm getting regular physio to prevent injury and stretching/core work is part of my weekly routine now.

I wish you all the best Rob in your campaign. Are you following a plan Rob?

• Great thread.. is there a route map i can see.. i would like to find out where this hill is on mile 18.. and do a few training runs up it before the event.. im looking at around a 4 hour finish (i hope.. first ever marathon) .. been training hard.. i might train it to bournemouth a few times and run that 18th mile and the hill a few times so i know whats coming.. any idea how i can locate it on google maps?
  • Not sure how to show you on google maps but if you know Bournemouth it's the hill up from the foot of Bournemouth pier to the Marriott hotel Mr Bojangles.Counted it out the other day and I can scale it in exactly 440 strides!!

Was meant to be following the P&D 18wk 70-85 mile plan Tony H but it started last week and i've been focusing on my 10K PB. Sure I can cobble something together though as still plenty of time but need to up the mileage

• Can't get the whole of it in one jpeg but it's the one with the fence running alongside it indicated by the arrow. See....not that bad!!

• Bah.. ill just run up it backwards.. thanks for the detailed pic and arrow.. salute! Ill take a trip to bournemouth soon with the mrs.. leave her to sunbathe and ill run up there a couple times.. then sample a beer as my reward. Thanks Rob.. how many time you ran Bournemouth.. this is my first marathon.. thst hill looks tasty!
  • I've done Bournemouth both previous times Mr B and I live here so know the course very well. Happy to answer any other questions where I can.

The slope has a few bars and ice cream joints at the bottom which your other half can enjoy whilst you're slogging up and down doing hill intervals.

• I ran the Edinburgh Marathon (my first) a few weeks ago & have been thinking of doing this one aswell, organised by the same people I think. 

Did the Bournemouth 10K & Half in 2014, so wud be nice to add the full marathon. Although, I've already signed up for the Bristol to Bath Marathon so 2 in the space of 3 weeks is going to e tough.

• Any advice on how the New Forest Marathon in September would compare with the Bournemouth for a pb attempt? Can't decide which to do, I've done the new Forest half before and always liked the event