Sunday 31 May 2015

Sunday already?
Planned activity includes a coached swim session. Hopefully I'll control the arm into doing relaxed when in the air, and powerful when in the water. As opposed to the typical survival instinct of merely thrashing.

Run? If I'm lucky.

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics were Messages by OMD.

What:            easy run
    Why:             need to get back to training
    Last hard:     not running yesterday
    Last rest:      30/5

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: something short

Why: being careful post-race.

Well done RFJ!

LMH: you asked about how I feel about where I am running-wise...lots of answers!

The main thing is I am running and enjoying it, which given my age, injury and illness record can't be taken for granted: I learned a few days ago that one of my clubmates and contemporaries (six weeks older than me) is not likely to survive more than a few weeks. His treatment for pancreatic cancer has failed. This certainly adds to a sense of perspective.

On a different level we are rarely satisfied with our performances: I was comfortable with mine on Friday....although I am sure that I will go faster over the summer. And if I don't that's fine!

Friday's report to follow shortly!

Back to reality now: most of the day will be spent sitting in front of the laptop, marking.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

So...race report...

Once or twice a year I head south to meet up with friends, old and new, at the Last Friday of the Month race in Hyde Park. 

Looked at the forecast and was not happy: wet and windy...more of which later. Leaving my house in torrential rain I grabbed a brolly and hesitated as whether to take a pair of trainers, as opposed to the racers that were already packed: this proved to be a wise decision.

Soaked by the time I reached the station for the London train (walk/bus/walk) I soon dried out on the two hour journey south. Euston then Green Park, and then Hyde Park on the tube: all went smoothly. Leaving Hyde Park tube, though, was confirmation that the weather forecast was accurate: put my umbrella up and it promptly blew inside out.

Given that there was to be a major triathlon event in the park lots of workers were putting up barriers, Harris fencing: it did not bode well when I saw some of the latter being blown over.

Collected number: this is the wettest and windiest I’ve known it for years, I was told. When to warm up? Now 12:05, race at 12:30...perhaps 20 minutes before? Not in this weather...and there is my friend DW, sheltering. A quick chat and it is now 12:15. Racing shoes on...only to find that they just weren’t suitable for the conditions. Bringing the trainers was a wise decision. Must make some sort of effort. A jogged kilometre and need the loo. Why am I doing this? And I am not alone in this thought.

A further jog and  the Alehouse wet weather gear is recognised: SG from another thread that I follow:  why am I doing this, etc, was shared.

So, to the wet and windy start line. Promised myself not to look at the watch for about half a k: steady start as we run about 150 on the flat before heading uphill. A glance at the watch tells me I am behind where I would like to be, probably down to the reduced warm-up. No worries, I tell myself: this is a B race at best, and given the conditions probably a D. 4:25 at 1k. 4:20 or better would have been nice.

A gradual downhill, now, but into the wind: 4.32 for the k doesn’t match the effort. Sharp left, downhill and a short incline that doesn’t feel short at all. Who said Hyde Park was flat?

Lap two and the third k is reached in 4:31. Better make an effort! The 4th is brought up in 4:27 and we return to the short sharp hill: get this over and it is half a k to the finish. No-one within touching distance ahead, and no danger behind, so cruise through the last k in 4:16 with plenty left in the tank, or I would like to think so. 22:11 officially and 73% WAVA. Quite happy with that. There will be other races on better days and faster courses. And if there aren’t I’m quite happy to be plodding around and enjoying simply running: after all, that’s what it really is all about.

Quick check of the watch then off to check with a few of the runners I coach: decent results given the conditions, with an 82.9% WAVA being the star performer in her first race of the season. More to come! Great that SG was waiting to chat. Then off to the alehouse for a reward. Or two.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice report Ale and well done....

No voice left here, and sunburn made for not a good nights sleep, plus feel like I have done several rounds with multiple boxers.

Take care

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Enjoyed that report, alehouse.

11 miles this morning, nice and easy.  Its one of my on-call weekends so never went far from home, just lots of loopy loops! Time passes quickly when it's like that though, but it's not very scenic!

Lyrics, I can't quite place them but I do know them, if you know what I mean.

• What: family day
    Why: weather dreich and now a house of 5
    Last hard: battling against the swell yesterday
    Last rest: Wednesday
    Lyrics: no

AH: good time a good report. Sounds pretty sociable too.

• That all sounds positive to me Alehouse apart from the news about your clubmate obviously. That sense of being fortunate to be here and able to run at all is very much with me still and indeed I hope it stays, no reason for it to stop us wanting more.

Hope you have a nice family day OH and a quiet on call Donaldo.

Sounds painful RFJ. No chance of sunburn here.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Hiya
    Great report Ale - well done
    congrats too to Don, RFJ & gobi on races and apologies to anyone else I've missed.
    Chick - hope dad continues to improve and good news too from Mrs Gobi.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, indeed the Brecons were glorious yesterday, light breeze and lots of sunshine, so I made sure I spent longer at the peaks taking in the views.
    Drove over Friday and having pitched up did an hour easy taking in some local peaks to loosen the legs.
    Race on Saturday, 8am start, no expectations other than to finish.
    Gentle enough start along a canal path from Talybont but after 4 miles the hills started and rolled in and out with regularity: Tor-y-Foel, Corn Du, Fan Frynych, Pen-y-fan, Cribyn, Fan-y-Big...Needless to say some bogs, peat, rocky ledges and stupid climbs (Cribyn from the north exceptionally brutal). 
    3 of us from my club, plus regular other companions for most of it, exchanging places. Didn't get lost but took a lovely tumble in RFJ style at 19 miles on the jagged stones which has left one knee skinless. 
    Finished in around 10h25 and it was something like 41.9 miles and 9,000 feet of climbs (and descents). 
    No idea how that fits in with the overall standings, but I'm happy enough. I do know if I ever do this again, then back to back 20s give you stamina but no way prepare you for mile long 45 degree ascents. 
    Did I say if I ever do this again

as for today 
    what - 15 miles easy recovery
    why - ultra training 

and if you believe that.....

• Well done Dustin. More hills next time then?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Great report, ale. Don't think I would have bothered with a 5k given the horrid conditions, so more kudos to you image

LMH: hope they find nothing serious ... Running two sub 3:15s close together being anemic is quite something. You probably go sub 3 if they sort out the anemiaimage

Ouch, RFJ.

20 slow and painful miles for me. Underfuelled and struggling with my breathing (think I'm coming down with a cold or there's some nasty pollen about triggering my asthma). Inhaler barely helped. But hey, more miles in the bank image

What: see above

Why: sometimes I wonder

Last hard: today image

Last rest 28/5

Lyrics: absolutelyimage

25 runs in May. 6 non running days due to travel/holiday/ dad in hospital

244 miles.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    xpost Dustin: excellent!! Sounds like you're hooked thenimage
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Great report Dustin! So when's the next one?

What: 4.12k easy

Why: recovery run. Felt quite good but wasn't tempted to do anything but enjoy slowly splashing through rather a lot of puddles.

May figures:

2 races plus 2 parkruns as pacer and tailrunner
    31 days run
    167.81k, making 942.28k so far this year.

A lower figure this month: cutbacks before and after each race do not help volume-wise, but are a necessity leg-wise.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Evening all

Sorry awol for a few days, life got in the way...

Great report Ale and well battled Dustin. 

Chick I hope your Dad is ok, and LMH hope you're feeling ok.

What: a what I thought was gentle 5 km to the garden plus 1.5 hours gardening
    Why: tapering
    Last hard: moving this morning, not sure why but was dead!
    Last surprise: looking at my watch during my easy 5 km to see I was running at my current 5 km race pace...
    Lyrics: nope

Off to run the local pub quiz now image

Have a good evening all.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Dustin sounds a hard run along with the rocks that are also hard image well done, a few of the Basingstoke team were at Kent Road Runner as well.

Well done on the 20 Chick, even though not comfrotable for whatever the reasons, its done, well done.

Take care

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭

Great race reports Alehouse and well fought Dustin!

Chicksta: sorry to hear about dad and well done on training and 20 miler todayimage as others have said you did it.

What: nowt

Why: only rest day this week

Last hard: yesterday

Lyrics: sounds familiar

Emzap: muffins are in the ovenimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Nice when that happens emzap.

We all have those kind of runs chiksta but a 20 is a 20. To be honest I don't really feel the anaemia though I guess that could be because it's happened over a period of time. I don't think they found anything yesterday that would explain it so I'll just keep drinking my spatone and hope.

Muffins in the oven Poppy? Do you have news for us? image Strangely enough I baked white choc chip and raspberry muffins today, shouldn't have really as it means that I'll eat them but I have a friend coming over after work tomorrow afternoon.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Dustin, immense respect to you for your run.  Epic report. image

• A good Sunday's training and excellent race reports. They breed 'em tough in these parts. 42 miles Dustin? 20 Chicksta,  and a very long day for a very brief outing for Ale.

Swim session tonight, that was tough. Half the team were at Hyde Park, half the team on holidays in France, and that only left a handful of mathematically challenged. No hiding places. The main set was 300 builds, ie 100 steady, 100 medium, 100 fast. Repeat x5. To finish, 50m flat out twice.

Lyrics: Absolute Beginners, Bowie.