Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good runs under the circumstances, both Dachs and Matt.

The reference to legs complaining about the effort isn't an issue of fitness or leg speed/turnover, it's an issue of strength where it matters.

It's possible to be super fit but also weak. Even Mo Farah was found to be relatively weak by Salazar.

Harry Wilson wrote that many runners attempt to increase their speed by sprinting up and down when the real reason they are slow is lack of power and flexibility.

So the issue to be addressed is leg power. And to increase that will need something else apart from running. 

🙂

• Dachs, good run there. One thing to take away is that the more times you run a 32.xx the more you train your mind to expect a 32.xx instead of a 33.xx. I ran many 34.xx when I was faster and one night I got a 33.xx. You'll do the same: rack up the 32.xx and one day the wind will be behind you all the way and a 31.xx will crop up unexpectedly.

Matt, good half there even if you are not happy with it. Of course, as it is sub-75, you could always join the thread outing at London marathon next year off the championship start. I expect SG will come out with cock/balls/bull/biscuit/pot hunting remarks as it was a half on the same day as a full

The Bus wrote (see)
    PS - anyone else having problems syncing with Garmin Express since the most recent upgrade? It's causing me a right hassle!

Upgrades always seem to mess it up. I find that un-installing Garmin express and then re-installing fixes it.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Garmin express/connect.

I hand the upload job to my lad; who's now home, due to me using an outdated operating system which Garmin no longer deals with.

It's largely irrelevant at the moment having curtailed the mileage.

Ah yes, the mileage.

Satisfying though it was to fill the book with the larger numbers, if I want to race a tad better, I need a change of emphasis. Which means something has to go.

The mileage has given me enough of an endurance base to ramp up the speedwork and hill sessions, however I can't have both mileage and sessions. There's only so much in the tank.

So I'm going to drop the mileage around 30/40% and fill the gaps in with better recovery and sessions. And races.

A case of taking the available energy and condensing it.

🙂

• Hi All

Had a good read through, good racing Ale, SG, Dachs and Matt. Dachs and Matt both going faster than I would have done with the same level of fitness I'm sure - I did only a few seconds quicker than both those times, being in what I would consider top fitness, so great work both! Dachs - love the description of the wind image

Was down at Mile End for SML on saturday, stupidly ended up with a hangover from work drinks the night before! OK - as it was a 1500 and at 5pm. So went out from the gun with a guy who had done 4.01 in the week, so was just going for the win. so it was 67, 2.16, 3.07 at the bell and I ended up with 4,12 and 2nd. Annoying as I was sure I went throughthe clock on 4.10/11. Quite happy though and got another stab at Eastern vets on Weds.

Just did easy 12 yesterday..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, behave, i'm not going to tell someone who has donkeyballed their way to s 1hr 13 half in less than favourable conditions that it's a bootleg race! Especially as a sub 1hr 15 is probably my all time goal.

And Dachs, it wasn't long ago that a 32:anything was by your own admission your lifetime goal. Now you can produce that as a default.

Had an odd run today, felt a bit sluggish, but quite smooth of breathing!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

blimey lots to catch up on so apols if i miss anything but good 5k ing in tough conditions for SG and Ale

Matt -  downhill HM and only a 73 image sounds like the conditions were an issue and perhaps some of that fast 3m beforehand was too. But you defn have the skills to get a low 70

Dachs - without the wind sounds like you might have only been 10secs off a pb which sint a bad place to be.  i lost 30secs on a 3000 so im sure you lost plenty on a 10k.  Anyway like phil says a few markers in the 32's then i bet a low 32 / sub 31 will fall out nicely.

simon - thats a fast 1500, congrats,  sounds like sub 4.10 is there this summer again and some more.  i have a 1500 next saturday but im way out of form.

training not going so well for me, but in fairness i have only completed 1 week of fast track target sessions. it wil come.   was happy with my 20min tempo at 5.30 pace.  i have never broken 5.45 on the road in fact normally they are about 5.55 pace.  so to hit 5.30s was pleasing.

• Cheers Dean - decent tempo, and as you said, all about the decent track sessions, I've done loads more than last year. Hoping for a bit better this season, 4.06/7/8 is the aim tbh. we'll see..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what's been up Dean, illness? You pick a few of those up, no doubt kid related....or is it just you haven't got into the usual flow yet?

The big man hasn't written my week's schedule yet, so always that slight unease about what the hard sessions will be.

Fingers crossed for some 200/400s!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon your 3000 pb definately indicates you have the strength for a 4.05 1500m

SG - no illness just started the season late so i peak in august rather than in june like last yr.   but it feels harder this time around.  a few more weeks of fast stuff and hopefully i will see a sub 2 800 and all will be rosy againimage

• Afternoon. Cracking racing people. Sounds like a tough day out Dachs, but a good day nevertheless. Nice HMing Matt and good 5king SG, PMJ & AG.

Drove down to my parents in Kent on Saturday and had some extended family time, then my lot ad I continued on to the Netherlands where I had some meetings and they spent time in the pool at Center Parcs. Lots of cycling and running for the family, not so much for me though I did manage 2 runs.

More importantly I bagged another border crossing jog, this time with Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. So that is all the NL borders in one run, and leaves me with 5 more border crossings to complete Germany.

A couple more 10km races then that is me done until I book some more stuff up.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey IC - you spend more time out of the country than in it!

Matt - not what you wanted timewise, but still a very good result by the standards of us mortals image. Not sure how the hell you had the legs to run up Arthur's Seat today!

Philip - have reinstalled GE, and Ant agent twice, done a hard reset (ain in the arse that is, having to reset all fields!) and deleted all old FIT files in case of any corrupt ones. It works once, then next time doesn't! Quite a lot of moaning about it on the Garmin forum so not just me.

Quick 5M early on today  as I felt fine when I woke up. The run went OK, but I'm still not totally right virus wise. It wasn't helped by having to go to Legoland today - the Spinning Spider was a really bad idea with a dodgy stomache! I need a lie down now....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Interesting post Simon. If all that I've read lately about booze and athletic performance is to be believed, it's a surprise you could move at all.

Here's some stuff I found about,

The effects of exercising with a hangover

Hangovers are actually caused by alcohol toxicity, dehydration, and the toxic effects of congeners (or the byproducts of fermentation) that are present in most alcoholic drinks. If you’ve ever experienced a hangover, you’ve probably felt the symptoms of nausea, soreness, depression, and headaches that frequently coincide with a proclamation to never drink alcohol again. The symptoms can lead to decreased athletic performance and have been known to decrease aerobic performance capacity by as much as 11%. So, if you have a lingering hangover, it’s best not to exercise, as it can increase your risk of injury and further dehydrate you.

If you’re physically active, consider how drinking will affect your athletic performance. If you choose to drink, avoid alcohol beyond low-amount social drinking for 48 hours before your event, and be sure to rehydrate and eat before consuming alcohol post-exercise.

Only one solution to all of this.

Give up reading.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I wonder if Steve Jones read that the night before he broke the world half marathon record after drinking 10 pints of cider image

Mind you, he must deal with them better than  - the only time I raced with a proper hangover was the Princes Risborough 10k on a very hot day. It was a hideously unpleasant experience and one I have been at pains to avoid since image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well Bus, I haven't had a drink in two weeks now and I can honestly tell the difference. 

Yes, the difference is I haven't had a drink in two weeks. Still, I'm saving money on the abstinence. Two bottles of red wine and a dozen tins of Stella (ok, it's not real ale) a week adds up.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I couldn't imagine competing with a hangover. Just the thought makes me want to barf. So kudos Simon, that's a great time with or without alcohol poisoning.

Matt, sorry you didn't get what you wanted. You certainly can't be faulted for the bravery of those opening miles! Sounds like a really hideous experience in those last miles. In all honesty, I'm not certain about the wisdom of a fast 3 miles a few days before - maybe you ran well last time despite that. Still a good time in the windy conditions, though.

Cheers all for the comments. I may have overplayed the wind a bit, it wasn't as bad as it's been on some other days, but it certainly had an effect. Yes, it will be good to consolidate in the 32:xx mixer and see if a 31:xx pops out one day. I have also decided to try to improve (a) my diet (b) my sleeping patterns and (c) my core strength, and hope that it has some positive effect.

• IronCat5 wrote (see)
    So that is all the NL borders in one run, and leaves me with 5 more border crossings to complete Germany.

An odd collection but get them up as Strava segments and then see if someone else collects them all as well.

I have collected all the border crossings for Andorra.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

SG, and others...Sale Sizzlers: Thursday evenings, 7-30...
    June 25,
    July 9 and 23
    Aug 6
    More details here (I hope):

http://www.saleharriersmanchester.com/attachments/551d679ee5b00.pdf/2015%20ENTRY%20FORM%20(1).pdf

or see saleharriersmanchester.com

Let me know nearer the time if anyone is intending to run!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

So back from the Self Transcendence Battersea Park 2 miler at the same course SG did his 5k last week. Shortest distance I've raced for many years but good adrenaline boost. Standard down there was really hot and despite meeting my aim of 11'30 (pretty much spot on I think though official times not up yet) was about half way down the field. 5'35 first mile but a slightly disappointing 5'55 second though the wind didn't help that one. Definitely recommend their races; no frills, enter on the day and only £4; their next is another 5k next week which I might do too if the conditions are good.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well done on that Pete.

I've done a few of the STB's events down at Battersea, including a couple of HM's.

Those were actually held on a one mile loop of all things. Most entertaining as I started lapping back markers within three laps. 

🙂

• RicF - Great stuff, love the article and reading advice. I think I might have overplayed the hangover. One of those that with a couple of pills, breakfast etc the headache went quite quickly..I think I had 6 pints, so not that bad. AND the race wasn't until 5pm too.

Good race Pete. Dachs - trying to get more sleep? Thats what I struggle with - never get enough (sleep) image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Simon, yes the booze thing.

Obviously I had an extensive read around the subject; the scientific papers are a bit heavy going, but the impression I got was that alcohol gets first dibs in the recovery stakes and severely compromises muscle repair mechanisms.

Which means that a session followed by a drink or ten is rendered ineffective.

Only one way to find out and that's to pack it in for a while. 

How long it takes to notice any difference I haven't checked out yet, it's only just occurred to me to Google the question.

In the short term, I'm hoping for nothing more than when asking for more power in a race, to actually have some. Lately, all I can manage is to adopt a maximum sustained effort the whole way. No change of pace. 

Ah for the days where every three or four minutes during a 10k I could put in a surge lasting 10 or 15 seconds. If I tried that now I'd have to stop after one go.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Aley, Thursday nights is a random time, might be awkward to find a reason to get up there in the off season.

Pete, good to challenge yourself with shorter stuff sometimes isn't it. Standard there is usually pretty high from past results. I got lucky picking a bank holiday the other day. Or did i get unlucky?

After last week's 2 races taking the place of races, it was back to the training board,

A 35min MP-HMP session, 2:30 sections. Did 5mins the other week. Not sure what's hardest between the two. The 5min session you get slightly less HMP, but then they are longer blocks...but then they are longer MP recoveries!

The problem with doing this sort of session on the track is it;s harder to judge pace. On the road, you keep the pace to the zone for the time, simples. On the track, you can't go on average pace reading as it tells you too quick a time, and a lot of laps can be split between the two.

Anyway, unfortunately i used a silly way to record, setting a session up for 2:30 splits.
    On the first one I realised 2:30 for 0.43m gave me no idea what was going on, as the 0.43m would be overrecording and it didn't give me lap times.

Oh well....basically from then on, I just went on feel also sort of tracking laps, although forgetting sometimes, to see the original 2:30 split kick in! Looking back at some of the lap times later they look a little under what they should have been, but overall on the maths.... i make it....

9300m covered (5.78miles), in 35mins (2100secs), meaning overall 6.03 pace.  

Never an easy session, and certainly needed a nice lie down.

With wind, probably in and around what we're looking for. .

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

and straight into work for an old fashioned move.

Meaning i've changed from my glorious quiet position in a three-er, to a sixer amongst 5 people who won't hush it down!

Or just stay still so i can get this report off!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Welcome to my world SG - large open plan office, surrounded by VERY noisy people!

Good session by the way (if I've worked it out right image).

Still feeling queasy, but OK other than that and ran 5.5M to the station this morning. Came out OK - legs seem to be edging back toward normality even if the stomach isn't!

• I can confirm athletic performance suffers with a hangover at the end of Feb I did the Hyde park 5k after 6 pints of lager the night before and I struggled!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

my session tonight is 6*400 target pace of 60/61 secs.  but the 44mph winds might have some bearing on if this is possible. image  Trees are bent double at the moment and branches falling.

• I'm not training tonight as i'm racing tomorrow - I think i'd do some hill efforts anyway, can't stand faster reps when its this windy.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    robT wrote (see)

I can confirm athletic performance suffers with a hangover at the end of Feb I did the Hyde park 5k after 6 pints of lager the night before and I struggled!!

I noticed this result Rob, and wondered if there had been some sort of problem.

The last 2k of my last race felt so bad, that if stopping drinking was the solution, then it'd be worth it. Just need a race to check it out.

Short hill session today.

A dozen relative sprints up a steep hill adding up to a mile (wind behind). Ok.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I've tried having alcohol free nights in the run up to races and have noticed no difference in performance, but then there are so many other factors to consider. As long as you drink no more than your liver can process in a suitable time frame, are sufficiently hydrated and fuelled, can't see a problem. A little alcohol before a big race can help relax you and aid sleep (I find) and proper beer can help with hydration and electrolyte levels. Stella on the other hand.......image

The last 2k of Staines felt so bad 'cos it was into a gale force wind image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, as I read it. It's about alcohol free weeks and months. A day or two makes not much difference; unless it's the difference between being tanked up in the actual race.

I'm leaning towards that idea that abstaining from some things doesn't let you live longer, it only makes it seem longer.

🙂