Options

Edinburgh 2015

1235»

Comments

• Options

I thought I was making sound progress towards my 3 hours 5 minute, having reached 30k in 2 hours 13 and seemingly feeling in decent shape for a push through the final slog. The wind though put paid to that, I pushed and continued to feel relatively ok but frustratingly came up four minutes short.

• Options

I think I will do the Manchester marathon next year for my spring marathon. A few fellas in the club have ran it and say it's good - pacers, flat course and well organised. And my brother lives in Manchester so I have somewhere to stay which is always a bonus. image

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Matiakez - think we're all in the same boat, that wind really made it hard work all the way home after the turn. Well done though in still being sub-3:10 in the conditions, respect!

Meadower - thanks for the info on Liverpool, appreciate your digging this out. So it sounds a bit hilly then...........................? I live in Cumbria so should be used to hills, but they're not going to help me in chasing my time. Still, there's only one way to find out........................

• Options
    wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    Mark R I did Manchester this year not as scenic as Edinburgh obvioussly , similar in that it goes away from city and back - well not city but United. I enjoyed running with 4hr pacer til 17 then couldn't ???? but was 30 min better than EMF & less than 2 mins away from pb . Support good in outer towns Sale etc and spectators could get tram but v crowded. Finish outside MUFC seems like a mirage - ie in last 2-3 miles never seemed to arrive .

Rodeo flip - I paced Liverpool to 5hr last year great fun - a few sights - football grounds Parks waterfront - there's something like a 3 mile or so flat straightish run in to finish north along the Mersey. I'd go back if wasn't oothwise occupied that w/e

I managed a sub 8min miling local 4.5mile path n trail race on Thursday as my EMF recovery run - a good blast???? need some summer activity/ marathons before Amsterdam in October

Happy running everyone
  • Options
    Crikey rodeoflip! Another one so soon?

Spoke to bloke last night about Liverpool. He said one of the uphills at first seemed demoralising as folks going the other way. Then it gave it encouragement that he had a downhill to look forward to at 24 miles.

Recovery going surprising well. Have managed 4 runs this week and very little pain. This was only my third marathon. Does recovery get quicker every time? Or hinge on fitness level at time?

I've signed up for local Trifit Bootcamp and Open Water Swimming sessions. Have a good summer all.
  • Options
    MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Nicky - I'd say recovery's partly based on your fitness at the time, and obviously partly on what you do to recover!  Edinburgh was my fourth marathon, and my recovery felt like my first, and took much longer than two and three.  I only feel human again as of yesterday, really, and will have my first run later today or tomorrow.  That's great making it out so often this week.

rodeoflip - good luck in Liverpool next weekend!

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Thanks guys. I've managed a few runs since Edinburgh last weekend, but they've felt more like plods than enjoyable runs. I suspect I won't have recovered fully before next week to get my PB and GFA at Liverpool, but the only certainty is that it won't happen if I don't try. I think realistically I need about a month to fully recover, but we'll see what happens.

What a weekend of contrasts - up in my hometown for the weekend (Troon in Ayrshire) - Saturday run was in a 30mph wind with sideways heavy rain, and obviously not much fun - discovered that my waterproof jacket isn't waterproof after all. Sunday run along the beach & promenade in glorious sunshine, enjoyed it so much I turned round at the end and ran back to the start. So nice to feel some sunshine and to be near the sea (I couldn't have been much closer to the sea, I ran along the promenade wall!).

Hope everyone is recovering well, and rediscovering running for fun, as opposed to training plans & schedules. Enjoy the good weather while it lasts! 

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Quick update - not getting GFA at Edinburgh was really frustrating me, so I knocked out another race yesterday, the Liverpool Rock n Roll marathon. Despite knackered legs, some serious hills and a headwind for the last 4 miles (which caused lots of problems but to me, felt like nothing after Edinburgh!), I finished in 3:13:15, a PB and my all-important GFA! So it took me four marathons over two months, but I got there in the end - couldn't be more chuffed image

No more running for a while now, knees have fallen out with me and don't even ask about the toe blisters.

Happy summer everyone!