Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

9@7:38/mi today where I managed to avoid being felled by the dogs weaving all over the tow path but then tripped over the very still tree root. image Then a nice spot of ART on my Achilles when I saw the chiro who didn't need to make a single adjustment as everything is firing properly. Yippppeeee! 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Sorry that was a bit me me me. image

Fantastic racing by all. Great to see Minni back out there but a fantastic performance in particular by OO. It's a very popular race by all accounts and i heard that the final miles are especially hard. 

PMJ, I really love you no details spared race reports. I've raced so little that they provide much needed mental considerations. My legs are feeling pretty flat too although I'm putting it down to base building.

GDawg - in my mind you are easily a sub-20/sub-40/sub-1:30/sub-3:15 runner. I suspect you just need yo believe it too to make it happen as the ability is already showing itself in all your training. The very best of luck on Saturday! Not that you need it of course. *stern look*

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Pressed submit prematurely. BikeIt - glad you are sounding positive over building back. It's always the hardest bit having had time on the bench. 

Apologies for typos. Am on iPad in kitchen cooking dinner.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    What are you having MsE?
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I just nibbled on goats cheese in ash on oatcakes while feeding the kids sea bass with pasta and broccoli and cauliflower followed by chocolate mousse. MrE is at (another) drinks reception and I'm losing the will to live let alone cook another dinner. Does Mrs SJ also do this? (Lose the will to live and cook AGAIN?)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

MsE - Great news re your Achilles!image I love Goats cheese but not sure about the ash!? Yummy food for the kids!

G-Dawg - MsE is spot on, you have moved up a notch or two recently and your training is evidence of that. You just need to convert all the good work you are doing into a race performance that justifies the level where you are right now. I'm thinking there are going to be some shiny new pb's in all the distances for you this year.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you got the wrong end of the deal MsE. My cooking efforts while I'm away mid week are pretty poor.Boiled some pasta yesterday. Today it was hot couscous with Tuna.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Mrs SJ is a fantastic cook but yes, sometimes gets a bit fed up of it. Mainly the "thinking of what to make" burden. I work hard to emphasise my culinary ineptitude so that any stereotypical boundaries are never in danger of becoming blurred.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    PS I'll have the seabass please.... image
  • Sounds like we should all come round to your place MsE and each bring a dish that can be shared round.

G-Dawg - I agree with MsE that all those targets are there for the taking. Good luck on Saturday.

Miles for running and cycling for me, none of this new-fangled metric stuff. NB: I am an ardent pro-European.

4 miles easy along the Thames this morning. Gorgeous weather for it.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

When I started running I was training for a 10k so used to measure in km. Then I started posting on this thread's predecessor and people suggested I change to miles as it was too confusing!
    Bike It - sounds like a good target - I'm sure you'll smash it.
    GD - nice bike ride.
    PMJ - good pace.
    GM - that sounds too hot for running.
    SJ - hours/minutes? Won't that give you 0.0167 everytimeimage
    MsE - tree roots are deadly. Good news on the achilles. Goats cheese in ash?
    Lorenzo - enjoy the weather while it lasts.
    Up very early today, so decided to do my longest run of the week. 15 mile out and back run - 7.5 @ 9:06m/m and 7.5 @ 8:04 m/m.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good to see your achilles is on the mend MsE.

Nice early morning work Gul

I was asked if I might like to be in charge of the cooking this weekend.  My response was not very positive

8x 35seconds hill sprints here.  It is recommended by Norrie Williamson, one of the well know coaches here.  It's a good job he recomends 35sec as the hill runs out in this part of the world after 35 seconds anyway.  It is in fact a bridge over the railway.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hudson and Fitzgerald are big proponents of hill sprints too BI. I try to weave them in when I can.

Gul, what in your mind does "very early" mean? A couple of my sons are back from uni this week and "very early" for them seems to be 10:30am.
  • Sea bass & pasta sounds very appetising MsE.

I'm guessing you were out at about 4am Gul? Good bit of early morning mileage.

Interesting 5k PMJ and a shame about the leader going the wrong way. Situations like that knock your mental concentration.

7 miles last night with 10 x hill reps in the glamorous surroundings of an industrial estate. Down side boring to look at, good side minimal traffic. Balanced it out with a jog round the local park on the way home. Ying & Yang.

• Wife and Large Daughter going away this weekend. Leaving me to look after Small Daughter for a week. Or she to look after me.
    I've bought some locally reared mature rump steak, organic mushrooms, and fresh broad beans to celebrate the absence of the other women.

Half Marathon race on Sunday. It won't be pretty. There's a compulsory warm up.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Salmon in garlic and ginger soy sauce with coriander and spring onion and accompanied by rice tonight. Shall stir fry some organic dwarf beans with broccoli.

Had a sports massage with the coach today and then just work on form and strides. He's absolutely brilliant at setting me right and showing me what's going wrong.

Good luck racing this weekend Blisters and GDawg! Give it your best shot on the day.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I'll have the salmon thanks MsE.

Say hi to Javier for me Blisters
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Rubbish sandwich on a delayed flight here.

Enjoy the childcare and good luck with the half Blisters.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - that sounds a bit like my hill work!
    SJ - In that particular instance, very early was out of the door at 4:10.
    KR - more good hill work.
    Blisters - all the best.
    MsE - sounds delicious.
    Best wishes to GD and anyone else racing this weekend.
    7 easy miles and a haircut for me this morning to finish the week - total of 58.8 miles.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Good job on the haircut, Gul!

12 hilly trail miles at 8:57/mi with the dog going bananas chasing squirrels and where nothing felt right until halfway when the miles flowed more.  Sometimes it takes me ages to find my stride. On a good day that run is a good minute per mile faster.  

• G-Dawg hope you've smashed the sub 20 min 5k.

Key session tomorrow 13m with 8@MP. I want the MP to be 7:25 but probably 7:30-7:40 is more like it. 16 weeks left to hit the right pace.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

PMJ - Good 5k+ racing. If the pace was faster then you should be happy.

Lorenzo - Enjoy the good weather running

KR, Bike It - Good hill repping and sprinting

Gul - Nice weekly mileage including the 15 miler

MsE - Any pace for a 12 hilly trail miles is good, especially after a good 9 miler.

Tony - I hope your 13 miler and MP running goes well tomorrow. Never an easy run at this stage of a schedule

Good luck Blisters, GDawg and any other racers.

I'm happy to report my hip flexor niggle has eased off a bit and on the mend. Once again I managed to run through the injury without having to take any unplanned days off.

I ran my local Parkrun today and was surprised to break 19 minutes and finish 1st. I wasn't pushing it 100% after the mountain marathon last weekend and I've had the worst DOMS I can remember in my calves all week. The quads weren't too bad but the calves only started feeling normal yesterday.

I only just realises yesterday that I have a half marathon race on Wednesday night that I'd totally forgotten I'd signed up for months ago. I then have a marathon on Saturday so it should be interesting on how I'm able to performed.

I've finally joined my first ever running club. I'm now a member of the 100 Marathon Club Ireland which (believe it or not image )is a club for runners specifically targeting running 100 marathons. They organise their own official marathon events to help you reach your 100 marathon goal. Next Saturdays is one of these events in Drogheda so I'm looking forward to meeting lots more mad marathoners like myself.image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Busy schedule Madbark.and congrats on the parkrun victory.

18:18 at my local parkrun for 6th. Getting back to decent form but I had hoped for a shade quicker.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Still a great time, OO (although just a bit slower than Blaydon?)

Madbark you have found Your People surely.

Tony - at this stage focus more on feeling the flow of the run rather than trying to click off a certain pace for each mile. I'm sure if you're runnnng smoothly the pace will follow and, even if it doesn't, it is such early days there's always plenty of time to pick up pace as you progress. Good luck!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Good luck BB. Hectic!

3K swim event for me today in Coniston Water. 43 minutes flat! Either a) I'm getting quicker, b) my new wetsuit is coated in EPO or c) the course was a tad short. Either way, perfectly went to plan, started easy, built to steady and finished at a sprint. image
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

pretty demoralising outing today - 10 miles, then parkrun in very lacklustre 22:09 (easily slowest this year - I even managed 21:15  3 weeks after VLM with a 12 mile warmup), then tacked on 6 to make 19 for the morning, which at least looks ok in the diary.
    just put it down to "one of those days"  . . . . . .

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    A 22min 5k in the middle of 19 is not a bad day out Birch. Maybe your top top gear was not quite firing but that's an impressive session.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Badbark - Good luck with all that. Sounds tough but you'll do well no doubt.

SJ - That is impressive swimming!

Birch - Nice session. I couldn't run my quickest 5k with that many miles in my legs.

OO - Very nice parkrun.

Gul - Great weekly total.

MsE - Enjoying hearing about your culinary efforts. All sounds very healthy.

Tony - That sounds like a nice run you have planned. Good luck with it.

Very warm out today again. Was supposed to do a track session today but opted out as I had a few too many vinos last night. I did a progressive 8 miler instead. Started off slow and reached halfway in 30 mins, felt good so put a bit more effort in and did the last 4 miles in 27 mins. 7:10 average pace and felt like there was plenty more gas left. Went into the sea for a bit to cool off, it's still quite chilly. Good luck to the racers tomorrow.

• Slower than HM pace, but since I've hardly run any 10 milers it was technically a PB. I'm not sure of finish position as there was a stacked field, but none of the speedsters were local so I won the County Championships, both senior and V35 categories. It chucked it down with rain, which wasn't fun, but at least we didn't have the usual howling gale. 

Birch, I couldn't even run that far without a parkrun in the middle at the moment! 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Another county win Speedy! Congratulations image