Downs Link Ultra

Hi - I'm attempting my first ultra this autumn - 38m from Guildford to the seaside.

I'm a 37 minute 10k / 1.20 half marathon runner in my mid-40's.  I did the Greensand Marathon (the year of the monsoon) in just under 4hrs so I think I'm in reasonable shape. I typically run 40 - 50m a week although this can be lumpy.

Loads of questions about this (and indeed any) ultra.  In terms of training, what would people recommend?  Marathon training but add 50% to the distances?  I really don't have a clue!

And in terms of pace.....where to start?  Aside from a bit of a hill at the start, it's pretty flat / downhill along a woodland track with good conditions underfoot (gravel mainly).  What would people recommend/suggest in terms of pacing/overall time?

I would feel OK doing a road marathon in 2.50 - 3hrs which is about 6.50 a mile so was thinking about aiming for 8 mins/mile and seeing what happened?  I can test this all in training of course but am trying to get some sort of idea!

Any advice from experienced ultra runners of what to expect on your first ultra (bearing in mind that this isn't 50m or longer, it is "only" 38m).....thanks all

Comments

• Hi,

I believe if you wanted to you could go faster. I would go for around 7:30 ish (I base that on the fact that a 2.50 marathon would be approx 6:30, then give 30 for distance and 30 for terrain). After all its 'only' 12 miles longer than a marathon. From my past experiences in terms of preparing for an ultra: I'd say try to be as specific as possible. That means do your long run on equivalent terrain and do them easier but longer. 

Also try to hit 60-65 miles a week. Ideally more but be very careful and avoid ramping up mileage to quickly. Everyone has a certain limit on weekly mileage and if you go above it you can very quickly injure yourself (believe me I have done itimage). I'm also not sure in how far you age plays into that since I'm a bit younger (mid 20s) and friends of mine in their 40s struggle more to change their volume quickly.

According to my experience, unless you plan to run for a position speed work is not essential and I would cut it down in favour for weekly mileage (I know this sounds terrible). Another 'good' idea is to add in a 2nd long run (e.g. Wednesday), which is frequently done by other ultra marathoners. I wouldn't recommend B2B long runs as you increase your injury risk (especially if your weekly mileage is usually on the low end for your performance) and the potential gains are simply not worth it.

Maybe even try a negative split so you can start with 8:00, get the hill out of the way and then see what you have got left. 

I wouldn't go so far as calling myself experienced my only one so far was a bit over 60 miles but in very mountainous terrain, hence fairly slow. All advice from above is based on what my coach recommended me back then. 

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful. 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Have a look in the ultra/adventure forum there is a good newbie thread somewhere on the first couple of pages that is full of good advice. 

i think back to back medium / long runs (slowly ran) is a key to building your endurance up.

replace speed work with hill work (repeats)  image

good luck.

• Thanks for that. Very useful.

And thanks for the pointer towards the ultra board. Hadn't spotted that!

• Hi Hampshire Runner

I've run this race the last 2 years (not running it this year as I have the A100 2 weeks later but I will be volunteering at the finish line). It's a fantastic race and a great one for your first ultra. It's a very runnable course and pretty much flat the whole way, when I did it last year apart from getting a drink out my rucksack at one point, I ran the whole of it.

I'd do everything you do for normal marathon training, but add a couple of back to back runs in I'd 20 miles one day/10 miles the second day. Last year I ran up to marathon distance in about 30 seconds slower than my most recent road marathon pace, then slowed down a bit over the last 12 miles, and I finished in 06:03.

My husband who sounds a similar pace to you finished it in 05:23 so that might give you a bit of an idea of times to train for.

Good luck and hopefully see you at the finish line!