Sunday 14th June 2015

Tonight I'm gonna have myself a real good time

- I was going to post the lyrics to Gerry Rafferty's Night Owl, but it's A old, and B tedious, despite reflecting my current thoughts.

What: Half marathon with a warm up. It looks to be humid out there. Good luck all racers, and hydrate well.

Comments

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭
    Have a great race Blisters!

OH - glad you made it back!

So, up and getting ready. Dogs to be walked and porridge to be eaten. Car loaded and away I will go. Feeling a bit nervous and a lot excited. Back later!

What: 140km gentle spin around flat Wales

Why: it's what the training has been towards

Last hard: ask me laterimage

Last rest: the latter half of this week wasn't hard.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭

Morning

OH glad to see you are home and in your own bed.

Have a great race Blisters and Alex!!

What: 13.1 miles

Why:Just a nice long run

Last hard: think it will be today

Have a great day out there and hope everyone has a good runimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Rain by Mika.

Lots of early morning excited racers image go well guys. Looking forward to reading all about it.

Hope it doesn't take too long for you to get back to normal OH.

Rain has stopped for now but we have more forecast for later - grey and breezy still though, so much for flaming June!

What:             LSR
    Why:              it's Sunday
    Last hard:      working out which season we're in
    Last rest:        29/5

Lyrics - of course.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • What: managed church service this morning but suspect that might be it for the day

why: ureteric stenting 2 days ago

last real exercise  12 days ago

Lyrics: yes image

• Cotswold 113 triathlon

It’s set in a beautiful location, so much so that loads of people from Pembrokeshire were here. The swim is in a lovely gravel pit that’s quite shallow, so the water temperatures were a pleasant 16. Five waves of swimmers were set off, starting 0600, I got wave 5, starting 0630. Experienced folk might find the next bit unusual. I deliberately positioned myself in the middle, near the front. That way I was going to get bumped and bashed. It was part of my training strategy.
    Yes I got bumped a bit, and tabbed a few others, but got no kicks to the face, so I think that we describe that as mild and polite. The washing machine was on the silk setting. What really pleased me was that I stayed right with the pack, benefiting from a good tow and direction finding. As we progressed, there were some bizarre moments. At one of the later turn buoys this guy reached it and just stopped to have a look about. Unsurprisingly he got boshed. Just follow the pack FFS.
    Swim time 39:08, well pleased.

T1: tea and cakes, polish the helmet, think about the next bit, oh go on then we’d better leave.

• Bike: The course has some tight sections, and it’s impossible not to draft. Unlike last time where I simply overtook absolutely everyone, this time there came a point when some people just wouldn’t stay beaten. In running terms it would be described as a ding-dong battle. In cycling terms it’s called drafting and is officially cheating. I ended up being unable to bury a group of about 6. Everyone had a go at riding off the front, but nobody made it stick. With the overtaking challenges we just ended up as a self-motivating pack. Oh well. Everyone was at it. It’s known that this event is NOT IM branded, therefore they aren’t too fussed that the bike leg is only 52 miles.
    Bike time: 2:33:02, average speed 20.1mph. Chuffed to bits.

T2: a bit less procrastinated, as I had already got the arm warmers and gloves off before we entered. Still, not what you’d call slick.

• Run: The first 3 miles were awful. Not so much the anticipated feeling that someone has given me a workover with a baseball bat. I just felt as though I’d mashed the bike. The time per mile agreed. I never got that fresh, light and bouncy feeling. It’s a 3 lap course around lakes and through pretty parkland. I needed a leak, and by crikey, there were gallons! It took ages. By lap 2 I’d settled in, but was ticking the miles off in that desperate way that we all know. By mile 9 I now knew that I was home and hosed, so started to pick up the pace. A bit much, as a 4 mile run in is a big sprint. But the last 4 miles ticked off quite quickly and there were lots of people to pass. Huge push for the last mile.
    Run time: 1:51:08. I’ll settle for that.
    Overall 5:09:31 something like a 20 minute improvement

Now I need food. Sleep. Bath.

• Great report and improvement Blisters - well done!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Blisters...

Just back from Endure 24... we had a mixed team of 5 with a few of us carrying niggles etc.... aim was to do 7 laps (each lap is 5m), recovery time is very limited. Managed it just, now geting cramps all over and very tired as only had about 2-3 hours sleep.... great weekend (hat of to the pairs and soloists.... dont know how they can do that I think the winning man did 26 laps and lady 23.

Lyrics - Yes....

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Blisters, great report and very well done.

RFJ, good effort, hope the cramps fade quickly.

After getting a bit lost yesterday, headed out and did my planned route. Stunning 11.3 mile loop but wont do it regularly as the middle mile and a half is really boggy. Worth a shot though, certainly had variety. image

Lyrics, of course!
  • Well done RFJ - hope you recover quickly.

Sounds as though your persistence paid off Donaldo. How is the PF now?

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Lyrics: of course!

Great report Blisters and well done RFJ.

Take care OH.

What: 3k off road. Cool and wet. Wore rain jacket and bottoms.
    Why: short easy run. Little time as it is the last day for marking: spent about ten hours in front of the computer. Somewhat glad it is over!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭

Evening great race reports Blisters and RFJ

Blisters well done on so much improvement you must be pleased.

I pinned a race number on and ran my first race in 9 years

Goal come away uninjured and to enjoy it

Job completed but way too hot for me and struggled last 2 miles but ran with a lady struggling from mile 10  so it was a good pairing egging each other onimage

Time 2.11.25 off 9 weeks training and longest run was 10 miles not a PB but it sure is for this yearimage support was amazing,marshalls very smiley and happy and well organised.I will be back next year.

I am very happy Achilles held up, at begining of year would never thought I would be in this position and it feels darn good.

I think I will sleep well tonight my legs and feet are still aching!

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done WP! Great news! Great progress! I would be disappointed if your legs didn't ache! And they will probably be sore for the next few days...but hopefully they will ache fairly equally! Onwards and upwards! image
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

PF as bad as ever, LMH.  Was hobbling quite badly yesterday and today.  Still manageable though. image