Post race poundage!

Seriously, I know what I should be doing "Eating less!" But still piling on the pounds whilst on post race rest, any good tips?

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Eat less or exercise more image 

or........ Just chill out relax, pile a few pounds on, let your body recover properly, and then when you feel like it, get back into a rhythm n loose it then image 

• The voice of reason, thank you Book trunk, just panicking as the scales seem to creep up every morning! Sure after a nice rest my body will want to kick ass image
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Eat less. The science states that what we eat and not exercise is the key to weight management.

Unless of course your BMI is less than 25- in that case, keep eating!
  • How long ago was the race?  A lot of the apparent weight gain after an ultra can be down to water retention as during and after prolonged activity the kindneys go into partial shut down to allow the body to cling on to as much moisture as possible. That is why taking things like ibrufen during such events is now strongly advised against as it can lead to kidney damage.

I have found that it can take several weeks for things to return to normal.  After that you might have to start blaming the food!

• Wow thanks Bear B.hind, that is really interesting! Was gaining pounds and looking bloated but now at week 4 everything seems to be returning to normal and weight dropping. Though bit paranoid because I ran with an injury and took ibuprofen prior to and during the race ????. Sure it will be fine tho.
  • I had an abnormal kidney test results following a punishing ultra in high temparatures a few years back when I was swallowing ibrufen like sweeties - the potential damage had not been realised then.  Fortunately the next reult was fine.  There is a study that has shown that taking a small amount - 1/2 tsp. - Sodium Bicarboate a day could be beneficial to kidney health - worth a try.