Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Comments

• Morning all - have been SOCing all week, just no time to write about it. Run and swim this morning, half IM tomorrow. Hope your son is OK MC.

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

good luck tomorrow kate - which one?

he has asthma and has been getting a progressively worse cough, we thought it might be a chest infection because his inhalers weren't helping. this morning I decided I didn't want to wait till Monday to see a dr, so after a few phone calls managed to get him in to the out of hours GP - it is the asthma so he has a few days worth of steriods

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Good luck, Kate!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Out at 6.30 this morning for four laps of Tooting Common, which is 12.64 miles according to Garmin. Usual birds and squirrels plus one scrawny fox, one brown rat and a flock of greenfinches.

It was 88% humidity so ran at a slower pace, completing it in 2:08:02. Average pace 10:08. Fastest mile was 9:50 and slowest at 10:31 (mile 11, which seems to be my nemesis).

My new compression tights do not chafe, so I'll be using those for the HM. Also invested in a box of gels so I tried one on the run today and it was fine. Not sure it actually made a difference though!

good run Cal

I should have been doing a sprint tri, but didn't want to be away from home for the amount of time it would have taken to get there do and get back - apparently  I am the only adult here that will nag and bother to get him to take his inhaler

I did go for a nice 8 mile run though

• Cotswold 113 done. Happy enough with the overall time, 5.51 with a 1.54 half marathon, but a terrible swim time. Two weeks to go back to the drawing board before I have to go double the distance.

well done kate! what happened during the swim do you think?

• Not sure, did a really slow 3K in the lake on Wednesday too.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well done Kate. A sub-2 hour half is fantastic after swim and bike (even if the swim was a bit disappointing).

Maths - sorry you missed your tri but better safe than sorry.

kate - not sure what to suggest for the swim, is your wetsuit pulled up right?

cal - yeah, there are plenty of tris but only one eldest son

• Morning all - turbo for me. Ran and swam last night, I think my naughty sea anchor legs may be the problem, so did most of last night's session with an old inner tube tied round my ankles. Track tonight.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Not very early but a 6.30am run for me. I considered not doing it at all, given I'd done an almost-half marathon in training on Sunday and a hard spin class yesterday, and thought I would be sore, slow and crap. However, once I got going I realised I was full of energy. Just one lap of Tooting Common (as opposed to four on Sunday) which was 3.66 miles today. 34.48.9 giving me an average speed of 9:31. I really pushed during the third mile (8:37) and then tried not to slow to an almost-walk during the last two thirds of a mile home.

Achilles a little grumpy but I can live with it. Gym soon and then off to Jurassic World at the IMAX this afternoon.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I'm doing the same course in August Kate, well done.

12hour MTB team race at the weekend, 13th overall and 3rd VET team so a solid day out. I then rushed to Endure 24 as I was in a team for that as well. Got there at 1210 and was running an hour later, did 3 laps on the bounce to give the team chance to sleep. Home in bed by 4 am up at 0630 and running again just after 8 to put another lap in for the team.

Never saw the start or the end of Endure as I was then off to play roller hockey.

I guess Mondays DOMS and tiredness was expected, no SOC yesterday or today as I slept to 0710 this morning BUT I do feel normal again now.

That said I have a TT this evening and whether I like it or not I doubt I will be at full power.

Which full distance is it Kate?
  • IM Austria. That is the most bonkers weekend I've seen in a long time Gobi.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Cheers Kate, i just said yes to everything as I hate letting people down

The numbers were

3.10 of full bore MTB racing

2.40 of easy/steady running

1.30 of full on roller hockey

Oh and I drove from Reading to Newbury to Bristol to Newbury to Aldermaston to Reading to Aldermaston to Newbury to Woking and finally back to Reading

Left home at 05.45 Saturday and finally went to bed properly at 11pm on Sunday night

All good fun image

no wonder you were tired gobi!

much warmer this morning, 4.5 miles done

1 dog walker and 1 walker, bit odd at that time in the morning!

• Morning all - just turbo for me after a hard track session last night. Bike is in for a service so couldn't make the most of the beautiful morning.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Easy 4 miles this morning not 10, accepting I need recovery time is easy
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I'm not surprised. That is, indeed, bonkers.

Just my usual walk-commute today (plus a lot of standing and yelling at naughty girls).

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Just done another couple easy - improving slowly but I am getting older so things take longer
  • Morning all - 6 miles, NW 2 cats having a Mexican stand off, DW 1 squirrel. Chucking it down when I left but now the sunshine is back. Sports massage this morning to try and piece me back together.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Still nothing really early here, hit the pool at 7am after another full night sleep but dialled in this evening and feeling pretty happy with how my body responded.
  • Morning - another 6 miler, 2 OR, 1 cat, 2 dogs, 1 rabbit. Awake coughing half the night so just a plod to enjoy being outside.

Gobi, can you offer some advice please, Mr F has offered me his Zipp wheels for IM Austria next week, I've never used them and my bike gets shipped tomorrow, worth taking the risk of trying something new on race day for the extra speed?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Kate

Are they Clinchers, can you change the tubs ?

Are they carbon braking surface or alloy, if carbon you need to change the pads

How new is the cassette?

How new is your chain?

I would suggest setting the bike up NOW and going for a 30 min ride to see if it feels right.

Would I take the wheel up grade? hell yes (I am lending a set of wheels to a friend of mine) but not without a test ride first.

Lets face it a 30 min ride tells you that they feel ok and you can then always swap your cassette over

I am feeling pretty much 100% now image
  • They're clinchers, so should be OK to change, cassette and chain are pretty new and it's an alloy braking surface. Right, on the bike tonight! Thanks.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    No worries image

Glad to help
  • Race wheels tests at SOC this morning for a couple of hours - whoosh!

evening

sorry, had a crazy couple of days

kate - when are you off to Austria? Good luck for the race if I don't get chance to say it before you go

morning

caught up on sleep at soc today, heading out for open water swim soon - it will be the first of the year, just haven't had chance to go. Feeling slightly nervous which is crazy as I love swimming outside!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

9 miles today - was supposed to be slowish but ended up being HMP. I wasn't pushing myself unduly. Average pace was 9:50 - slowest mile 10:04 (uphill), fastest 9:32 (downhill). I know I need to be running a 9:54 average to achieve my goal time next weekend (if the course is the right length, of course - I ran better than that pace at Windsor and still didn't get 2:10).

Still, felt pretty good despite 5 hours sleep (downstairs neighbour had a party - wasn't unduly loud but it was enough to keep me up until 11, which is later than I normally go to bed).

Good luck, Kate, and maths - there's no way I would get into cold water willingly.