NOTTINGHAM MARATHON/EARPHONES

has anyone ran the nottingham marathon/robin hood marathon?they say you cant listen to earphones?are they strict on this?

its just i am one of those annoying people who can only run to musicimage

ta

carl 

Comments

• Yep, DQ

Why did you enter if you do t like the rules
  • i havent entered yet just wanted to check as i have only done a few runs and didnt know if this was common practice 

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Run with other people, no need to listen to music then image

• WHAT Talk to people haha no way

• Increasingly common practice thankfully. 

I've lost count of the number of people over the years who've stated they can't run without music only to find that, when they've had to at an event, not only can they run music free but they actually enjoyed it. image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Congrats, that was a race of the entry fee image or you could try being really brave and actually just running. 

Oh... Yes, I was being sarcastic image 

• @booktrunk u drinking wtf. @ trogs yeah ur prop right u just get just to how u train I suppose. Just going to book in anyways BUT if I see anyone else running with earphones ill punch them in the throat ???? one rule for one ay
  • CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

I'm glad to see races are beginning to disqualify runners not abiding by the rules. 

I find it odd to run those distances and not be aware of what is going on around you.  seems kind of antisocial.

• Lots of unhelpful and judgemental replies, I see.

I used to always run with music and also race too. I had music on the first time I did Nottm mara but didn`t last time (2013). Once or twice, I did races where they said strictly no music but I kept my IPod shuffle stashed away until I really needed it then removed it before the end. Usually it`s just nanny state / health & safety gone mad.

I intend to do the full at Nottm this year. I doubt I`ll be plugged in but I shan`t judge those that are! Good luck.

• Cheers The Egyptian Toe not sure why people are so negative towards it? its doesnt make someone better or worse runner for listening to music image

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

It's not the listening to music bit it's the not hearing marshalls and ambulances coming through.  

• Yeah ii get that its this is the 1st one I have cane across with this rule ???? obviously there are plenty more before I get a list ???? I am a bit of a noob
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

ok, it's like this.

There's rules and rules. Some have some sort of function which may or not be to your understanding; which is why we legislate for idiots, and really that's about it.

But it isn't.

One of the basic life rules in a democracy is that to succeed, we need a certain level of co-operation. Which sort of means we need people to at least agree on the basics.

If you don't agree and spend your life arguing the toss with everyone and anyone, you'll lose. That's because success isn't 'taken' it's conferred upon by others.

So what has that got to do with breaking the 'no headphones in races rule'?

Well it's a bit of a giveaway of your personality, the same personality that will prove long term to be the source of your failure to thrive.

By sticking two fingers up to a rule which is accepted by the majority, not are you saying the majority are irrelevant to your purpose but you also have the cheek to do this in their faces.

Your 'me' attitude becomes an insult to others by default by virtue of personal demonstration.

Best go with the flow lest you get drowned.

🙂

• Jesus Christ I bet there is some cheering and clapping when you leave the house for a run muhahahhaha
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Possibly. Which one?

🙂

• Is any of the new course open to traffic? There was a little bit of it 'dangerous' previously. To make the event completely safe, there really ought to be BMI checks at the start. And maybe shorten the distance. But obviously headphones are more of a risk.
  • No idea just going to run it bear back with a gigantic smile on my face ???? RIcF seems to be a jolly sort of fella do you know if I am aloud to sing ???? please keep ur reply to a minimum tho cuz the long speech bored me ????
  • asitisasitis ✭✭✭

Jesus man just run the frigging thing. No music soooooooooo what, whats up with you. Only an hour and a half out of you're  life ( give or take  this and that shit ) Are you a runner or a secret dj. Get on with it man for fuck sake and listen to your bling when you get back.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well I do have a sense of humour, but it doesn't extend to laughing while a guy falls off a roof.

🙂

• Give up on the music security blanket.

Will you stop if your ipod breaks ? Of course you wouldn't.

Run without the music and enjoy the atmosphere. You can even sing to yourself i f you want to ?
  • CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

Sid - If you are going to break the rules why are you announcing it?   Is it just to piss folk off or to piss the runner and organsiers off on the day?

Its not big or clever.

• Cheers The Egyptian Toe not sure why people are so negative towards it? its doesnt make someone better or worse runner for listening to music image

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I did a trail race on Sunday, iPods/phones and earphones were allowed and they everywhere. One of the blokes out of the 3 people I ended up kind of running with(1 being a young lady) had headphones in, but I'm not sure if he was listening to music or not as he was quite jovial and chatty the whole way. He almost seemed humanimage

That was a trail race though and on shared paths where members of the public could be wearing headphones while walking 6 dogs. having a fag and a beer, practising their sword skills while blindfolded etc do headphones weren't a big issue or concern.

If they had been banned I would have dobbed him in quick smart though. The evil music man ended up beating me by 7 seconds image
  • Cheshercat are you on drugs man? i have stated i am going to run without it please for the love of god get with the program. RicF you are one strange strange man.cougie thats exactly what i am going to do i might even enjoy itimage i will train with it tho. astics no i am not a dj i sell car parts for a living but a dj does tent to play music rather than listen to it image

• VDOT50 haha  image sorry to hear about the evil music man im sure the happy folk on here will hunt him down with there pitch forks and burn him alive

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Look for trail races, they tend to be far more liberal.
  • Yer thinking of that next year just got 1 marathon and half marathon then i might try summit else

• one question to the music fans while running.....how do you hear the other runners around you even when on the trails? are you aware where other runners are who are behind you, going to overtake coming into a narrow part of the trail/road?

I am a non music person myself and find that I have a fab time running and have met some ace people on races where we have helped each other through tough parts not sure this would happen if I was to wear music.

• Rowrex - these are the weird lot who for some reason take part in a sport that they actually don't really like that much - they need something to 'help' them get through it.

Doesn't happen in any other sport. Quite bizzare.