Being made redundant

2»

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Cheshercat wrote (see)

My redundancy date starts beginning of August, if i go before then i get nowt.  if i stay to the end i get money.   

This is the weirdest redundancy i have been through but then this is a wonky company to work for.

Depends on who's making the decision.

If you choose to leave then correct.

If they choose to ditch you earlier you get the money.

🙂

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Just sit it out.

When I got made redundant I went travelling round the world for a year. Was brilliant. Infact I wish my next lot would hurry up so I can do it all again.

• CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

I do not think there is any chance of them letting me go early, bit of a shame!!   just got to find interesting website to play with

• Write that book you always wanted to ? Or lots of earnest letters to the local paper ?
  • When I was made redundant "at risk of" (id wanted to leave for a while), I think the plan was I would work x weeks then garden leave?  I walked into the office the next day, I was already packed up when my manager called me in to discuss my transition plan.  I told her I was leaving now and walked out. 

It lucky, I knew others that had done similar, for me it was more about getting one over on my alchoholic boss who'd promoted her drinking buddies over others. 

I got a pretty good package, luckily I also had good marketable skills and have never looked back.  One of the best things thats happened to me, only taught me that the company had been holding me back and I should have left years earlier.  I'd hung on two years as the redundencies were phased over many months. 

• If you have to stay, get your CV totally nailed, network like mad, hone your job finding skills etc.  Or build a little sideline business on their time,

• I was made redundant last year,14 months before my 65th birthday.

I left with 18 months wages £30k of which was tax free.

What,s not to like.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Five years ago I worked in recruitment (hated it, but it paid the bills) but after four and a half years there, the recession hit, the job market dried up and I was fired for not making enough placements. Regardless, I was made to work my notice (no gardening leave, even), and I didn't get any redundancy due to being fired rather than made redundant. So that sucked.

However, I was a lot happier and a lot less stressed once I'd gone and I soon picked up a job as a part-time PE teacher, which I enjoy (especially as it gets me outdoors and out from behind a desk).

Look at it as an opportunity. I've been made redundant a few times during my working life and it always feels awful but I always seem to bounce back. I'm sure you will too.

CV is sorted and out there, just need those lovely recruitment agencies to show some interested, and when they say they will be in touch, they actually keep their promise.

On a plus note though, there seems to be lots more cakes!

• jim hamilton wrote (see)

I was made redundant last year,14 months before my 65th birthday.

I left with 18 months wages £30k of which was tax free.

What,s not to like.

to me that seems such pointlesss redundancy unless  the  company totally shut down.... but brilliant for you..

• Company still going but the site where I worked closed. It was long drawn out process,

nine production lines with one stopping production and being stripped out every seven

weeks. I was there until the end so had to say goodbye to groups of tearful men and women on a regular basis.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

For some, a redundancy package is the first time in their lives that they have had a significant sum of money. What they chose to do with it can be quite telling.

In many cases, it isn't pretty.

🙂

• we paid to have a loft conversion as we needed the extra room and to finally have a new kitchen as I had been waiting  for years since we moved in to have a fitted kitchen  image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good use of the cash sn.

I once worked in a place where some guy joined the firm and listened to how, 'while mugs had to work', he had just had two years off, cutesy of a big redundancy pay off.

And now it was all gone, he needed a job.

Six months later his latest girlfriend (pregnant like all the others, six kids and counting to as many mothers) was left £6000 in a will. He immediately packed in the job since he didn't need to work for a while.

I guess he'd get another job once that was gone. If he could.

Yes, he was a highly successful, animal.

🙂

The money will pay for the mortgage for a year so that is not a worry, just finding another job is more the urgency.   Do not think i will enjoy the Stay home husband!

No suggestions of day time prgrammes please............  oh, i could go on the Jeremy Vile show and mouth off at folk.   Do you get paid for that?

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

You probably do get paid, but no money is enough to compensate for selling your soul.................

Hubby was made redundant once (before we got together).  His mother had died a few months before, and his marriage broke up shortly after.  He got a new job 2 weeks after getting his redundancy money, so he spent half of it on a sports car.  He still has the other half 15 years later.................