Comrades 2016

Comments

• That would actually work - kids would love it (as long as they obey the rules regarding car windows) and to have them there on race day would be pretty cool too.

Where did you go Dannirr? Kruger or somewhere in Northern KZN?
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

We went to Lion Sands - it's adjacent to Kruger in the Sabi Sands reserve.  I've been to various parks in that area - all superb, as is Kruger.  If I had young kids with me I'd go to Kruger for sure, as the huge expense of a private park is wasted on young kids.  Kruger is always fantastic.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

A quick question about supporters getting to PMB this year. Was it a case of buying a return bus ticket at the expo and getting the buses that eventually brought us all back? And what time did they leave and was it from outside the expo?

Thought i would ask now in prep for future years whilst it is still fresh in our minds.

And just think, whereabouts were we all four weeks ago?image I think i could hear the announcer in the stadium willing us all home!!

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

RR - you are wise beyond your ears (I mean whiskers, no, no…, years, yes that’s it; years) - also I believe "ordinary" bookings are cancellable so if Dannirr spots a deal in the next few months he can bail from his current reservation in favour of that – Hilton was perfect for me this first time out so I will do that again.

Dubai – you look expert in other fields; can you explain the Comrades time dilation effect? I was travelling nowhere near the speed of light and yet the day seemed to pass me by in the blink of an eye?

Ross – I too am aiming at slicing several pounds off. You are in a different class to me, those are superb times! I don’t think you are in any way late starting out on a Comrades campaign, although I’m a bit of a plodder and so may have a blind spot for preparation requirements in your category. Due to injury I started out on my training campaign in January, others had to take it even later. I am going to qualify at Chester marathon on 4th October which is a relatively flat course. Would Leicester be an option on 25th Oct? Becca – those Saxon Shore events look enticing, wish I lived further south!

Justanothrrnr – you had me laughing out loud with the “how do I tell them…”? Those flights are a good price that late on. Does your wife have any must do bucket list items? If Kruger doesn’t float then they might be bargaining chips!

Marty – it seems ages ago, only 4 weeks? I have bounced right back from the blues since starting this thread, planning next year whilst reminiscing is a superb antidote – someone else will have to answer the supporter question I was on me lonesome. image

• Lowrez you've lost me!

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Sorry Dubai! Forgive my ramblings (it won't be the last time image); have I mistaken your profile picture for a certain physicist?

http://i.imgur.com/izb7yDe.jpg

• I'm with you now!

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Dubai - It seems a crazy notion reflecting on the day now but in one sense it really did fly by in no time at all, possibly one of those side effects of being so focused on the ultimate goal. I find myself asking why didn't I see Arthur's seat - there is a tradition of placing a flower there. I was going to high five all the kids from Ethembeni School - missed them completely. I must have run past he wall of honour? Didn't spot it. etc

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

I have bits like that lowrez.  This year was the first year that I actually can recall seeing the Kearsney College boys.  I recall Arthur's seat completely differently in previous years.  I barely knew where it was.  This year I knew where it was but there was a rescue bus driving slowly in front of it. 

• John1946John1946 ✭✭✭

justanothrrnr - yes, sounds like me on Little Pollys.  It wasn't you who assured me it was Big Pollys, was it??! 

We went on safari to Botswana after the race - fantastic although pricey, since Botswana has a policy of low volume + high prices in order to optimise conservation.  I wouldn't recommend safaris for very young children.  Incidentally, there aren't any windows to keep shut - vehicles are open Land Cruisers with no sides or tops!

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Becca - yes I high fived a whole heap of the Kearsney boys - very smart they were. I recall having become reticent on doing fives after realising the less fortunate kids were expecting me to hand over the water sachets I "needed" to keep cool, very surprised at that first "snatch". If I hadn't slept in and missed the route tour on the Saturday I might have been better oriented!

justanothrrnr - well done on duping John! Another fine Comrades tradition image. I was so braced for this eventuality that despite no one speaking to me whilst we climbed Polly Shortts I was convinced it was Little Pollys - I didn't even notice Little Pollys had gone by. Wonderful feeling realising we were at the top and that the "worse to come" would not materialise.       

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

John - Suddenly realised that my comment above might not seem very endearing...I picked up at the expo talks that veteran runners might pull one's leg on Little v Shortts - the way to tell that pull is that the k markers on Shortts are in single figures, they are not on the Littlles. Mind you, by then I'd forgotten how to read hence my equal bewilderment on climbing over the Shortts, the big clue for me were the cameras and the very welcome drink station at the top.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I'm in.  I got the go ahead last week.  I have always wanted to do this race and it's my 40th bday next year.  I am not fast (i did a 4h6 marathon a few months ago) and I will probably struggle with injury, but I SO want to do this race.

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard PG3. You should be fine with that marathon time.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    PG3 - that's the spirit.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

PG3 - welcome, it's one helluva ride image

• PG3 my qualifier was 4 hours 7 this year. You'll be fine.

Er, can someone explain why I'm here? image

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I'm entered for Abingdon for my qualifier. Anyone else doing it?

• I'll be at Abingdon but not sure I'll be using it for a qualifying time. image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RR - you know why you're here.  It's nagging at you.  And Two Oceans is the perfect last long training run....

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

PG3 - I completed my first this year off the back of a 4:59 qualifier in September, after which I rattled around in the doldrums trying to figure out why I'd crashed from sub4 to feeling very old indeed. Was shaken out of my malaise in January by a very good physio who nursed me through underlying injury to an 11:52. Welcome aboard, you will do fine!

Mr K and RR - I can see you! image

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Abingdons my local, I've marshalled it a few times, this will be the first time I've run it, so look forward to seeing a few of you therE image

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

great, best stop eating and start thinking about training.  I did Brighton marathon and then a half ironman a few weeks ago so having a bit of a break before i start thinking about Abingdon and Comrades.  How exciting.  I have wanted to do this race ever since I heard about it years ago.  I love the way South Africans always go 'Oh, Comrades' and then always have a story about an uncle or someone doing it 20 times.

• 10k seems about my limit at the minute due to the heat, have done a few 15k runs on the treadmill but really can't stand it.

getting lots of swimming in at least and looking forward to the winter.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Just lurking and taking requests forAbingdon, me. Should be having a knee scan soon. No worse (no better).

Reading back - accomm & flights booked v early - good to hear about late flights not being any more costly. Now there are International substitutions...
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I dont really want to book flights and hotels until closer to the event. Sounds like I might still be able to get a decent deal?

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I booked everything early September last year. There were still enough seats free on the flights out and back for people to shuffle around; I think some even managed to bag central rows of 4 to themselves for a proper kip!

I cross trained this weekend; purchased a chainsaw to knock a few big branches off a tree and got carried away. Scenes from the end of The Hobbit (book not film) come to mind, upper body (and the rest aching).

Entered the Newham 10k...I get to finish in the London Olympic Stadium! Not run for a fortnight now, probably take this week off as well, have not had the "luxury" of the advised 3 week "rest" since Comrades. A series of anniversaries and birthdays have "prevented" my diet kicking in yet. Lull before the concentrated effort to shed pounds!

F2D - "no worse" is a plus! Fingers crossed the scan produces a result and the route to a permanent fix image

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Potteries Marathon yesterday was a lovely Comrades reunion - so many from this year and previous attracted by the possibility of running up many of Stoke's finest hills.  I forgot to ask Slow Duck if he managed to resist the lure of the McDonalds that we ran past.

I have booked the City Lodge again this year for Comrades.  I have also booked my flights for Two Oceans - apparently with that one it is best to book the flights early as the prices go up, with it being Easter weekend.  

• Haven't booked anything, looked at flights and was shocked at the price.

ran only 5k today but it was 44 degrees.