RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2old - Great pacing on your marathon, quick stuff from your boy. 1st in age group though - congrats to you.

Nell - Good pace on your 5 miler.

AA - enjoy your hols.

Chick - Hope you're over it sounds nasty.

Two  5 mile runs this week , a little slower than first, still feeling hip a little but nothing major.  3 open water swims this week including 2k last night in 47 mins which I was very happy with.  And forgot to mention, confirmed my deferred place for VLM 2016.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, Good result on the Parkrun, yes ditch the son image...Hope the lower back eases off. You haven't really taken much of a rest since London though have you, maybe time?

Hi Barry, Good news on the running. Hoping the hip is ok now....Talking on hips. My son was in the sick kids this week having pins inserted on either side of hips. His femur bones slipped....good timing as we head off on holiday next week. So he might still be on crutches...Luckily we are taking the train down to France this year!

Just under 10 miles this morning at 7:11mm average. Bit of a wind but pretty mild. Nice run... 

• Nell - Puts my problem into perspective, speedy recovery to your boy.  Nice pace on your ten.

48 miles on the bike this morning, longest ride since last august bit of a grind into a headwind on the way home.  Night shift for me this week but on the positive side gives me chance to get some doubles in.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-you are storming ahead now and subject to watching the hip ready to knock out a fast Olly tri. Very impressed

Nell-Kids are always a worry..I once had to spend a few days in hospital with No1 son because of a hip problem and now many years later,he's doing ultras and sub 19 5k's so there's every reason to be positive about your lad. Looks like you need that holiday.Cracking 10 there.

Another swim -2.5k today. Back is agony when I stand up still -otherwise its not too bad .Im trying some hip flexor stretches.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-VLM entry is great news..now make sure you peak at the start line

• 2old - Yeah nearly peaked to perfection this year just 10 days short. image.  Looking at first OW tri in July, not sure about fast though, think this year will about getting practice and experience.   Careful with your back.

Hour in the pool this morning, 800m then 800m paddles then 400m fins and a few lengths warm down.  Just about to go out for a run.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-I know all about peaking too soon too- VLM 2013image .If my TRI experience is anything to go by expect to go off far too fast in the swim have a panic attack,turn on back, recover heart rate and finish then love the bike ride and run especially the latter as you pass the cyclists who passed you earlier. Enjoy the run and double sessions 

10k ish run  tonight in 44mins .

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

GFA for London Marathon is now open 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Barry, The wind has been a right pain the backside for months. Nice swim session. Looks like things are looking up for you.

Hi 2old, Yes everything seems ok with my son, to be honest we didn't have time to think about it. Say the least he won't be running around much on holiday! I found the hip flexor exercises and cold bath did the trick for me with the lower back issues.

Got my GFA entry in for London last night image

5 miles yesterday and 4 miles this morning, ticking over nicely at the moment and mixing up the fields with the pavement...

• So far so good Nell,   managed a 7 mile run this morning and all good. First OW tri's entered,  Sprint on 11 Jul and Standard on 19 Jul.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Sorry for going AWOL guys. Week before last I suddenly got swamped at work before having this week off. Headed to the Black Forest and I forgot my mobile at home. D'oh!! Call it enforced digital detoximage

Had a lovely time there and another doctors appointment this morning confirmed I'm recovered image Hemoglobin is still a bit low but ECG is fine and the rest of the bloods look ok as well. Phew.

Managed a few short runs but crikey, it's hilly there!! 4 weeks until the start of my autumn campaign image

AA: enjoy Greece.

O4S: 100 day cough!! Blimey.... I'm sure you'll bounce back. You're proper hardcore image

Nell: hope your kid recovers quickly. How can hips slip though?? Eek!!
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭
    Hi Barry, that is good news on the running. Hoping you get back to things full on soon.

Hi chick, good news on the health situation and the Black Forest sounds good. A bit of subliminal thinking with the mobile? ;0)

Been busy at work also lately and broke up for 3 weeks Friday. En route to the Languedoc. Stopping off in London for the weekend. Nice run around Regents Park this morning. Grabbing a nice view from Primrose Hill. ;0)
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭
    Hi chick, it was the femur that slips from the hip. Apparently not unusual ;0/
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Eek!! Glad mine never tried to escapeimage

Enjoy France and your hols.

10 miles jogged this morning. Slow. But it's a start image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Been away in the south since Weds ..to much drinking etc

Chick -10miles is a nice way to ease back and pleased here to see you've recovered. I long for a digital free break 

Barry- looking good. Bet you can't wait to compete again. 

AA- enjoy Greece. ..ouzo,retsina ,domestica, metaxa etc...hope you've timed it right 

Nell- I was at Regents Park about the same time as you today with a DNF at a 10k

squeezed in 25miles a swim some spinning and golf this week. Tried a 10k today but pulled up after 2 miles with a knot in my right calf which is a bit worrying. 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭
    Hi chick , 10 miles is a good getting back into it ;0)

Hi 2old, rats, I did see a tent in the park when I was going through at about 8. I probably would have stopped with you after 2 miles ;0) Hopefully the calf is just down to a bit of cramp caused by booze inflicting cramp ;o)
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- never mind maybe I should have said what I was planning to do but it was a bit last minute. Looking at the times I could have been in the top five and you would have won imageLeg still tender so resting. Think it was a combination of the effects of sciatica dehydration and a lot of sitting travelling.  Had a HM planned for this  Sunday but not so sure now. If I'm ok I might do it just for fun. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Crikey, 2old. Was it a similar issue to Boston? Probably best to jog or even bin the HM and give the leg a chance to heal.

Just 3 miles to tick over this morning. Right now my plan is to do something a bit longer one day, followed by a short recovery run the next. Hope I can get back to where I was at the end of May in the next 4 weeks so I can have a proper go at my training plan ...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- yes pretty similar to Boston. Just as I was putting together a decent injury free spell too. You're right about the HM of course. Wise recovery plan by you too. 

• Chick - well done on the 10 must have been a day for them, see below.

2old - Take care with the calf, HM for fun?? yeah right.image

Visit to Blackpool over the weekend, 10 windy miles on Sunday morning.  I've bitten the bullet, and in a moment of madness which I may regret, entered some tri's, OW sprint in a couple of weeks OW standard week after and HIM in august need to get some racing/experience in this year.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-cant blame you signing up for all those..you must be climbing the wall wanting to test yourself.You can always give one or two a miss if need be but I doubt you will and they should set you up for the Autumn nicely.Im in no condition to push the HM at the moment but doing it would fit in with my schedule for Lisbon in October.Isnt it always windy in Blackpool?

Swim earlier today-getting slowerimage and submitted my London GFA application yesterday...hope I did it correctly

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Hot, hot, hot image

Was over 20 this morning. Bah. Don't much like heat but it can't be helped.

11.5 done.

So far my MLR - short - MLR - short combo seems to work.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Good running in the heat Chick 

nothing by me today ...10k TM and some spinning yesterday ..I hate being injured image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

well, no running today for me

Thunderstorms this morning and now it's incredibly humid and at 32C just too damn hot.

Does your leg tolerate TM running then, 2old?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- re TM toleration...no...that's why no running today aswell. Better not to run in that heat too

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    6 miles of hard work in high humidity to finish a 50 mile week. 3 more weeks to go before proper marathon training starts image

Hope your caslf is being better, 2old
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- didn't take you long to get back to 50 miles ,bet you're happy after your scare. Still suffering here. In London since Weds and had terrible lower back pain . Calf seemed better so tried a run today to try and release the back. All was going well until 3 miles when calf tightened up in the upper Achilles area and that was it...had to stop and laid up again. Think I'm going to have to be patient. 

• 2old - yeah always windy in Blackpool, up again Tuesday so look forward to another windy run.  Is there ever a time when both me and you are both uninjured, take it easy,  get yourself sorted for your autumn mara.

Chick - Well done on the 50 week.

Good weekend for me, yesterday  2k OW swim followed by 20 mile bike and hour swim club in the afternoon.  Today 36 mile bike ride followed by just under 5 mile  run, struggled a bit on the run, poor fueling methinks.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- nice going this weekend.Racing next week end?that was a good lesson in the need to fuel on the bike ready for the following run.  Have to smile at your comment ,together we might get one persons decent uninjured running for a year. Think I'm going to limit myself to non impact stuff for a couple of weeks. 

• Afternoon all, back from a couple of weeks island hopping in Greece image. Nicely acclimatised to the heat now!! Since back managed a couple of Trendy 5s, a 18 mile slow long run and a 3k open water lake swim. Trying to rid the excesses of holiday!

hope you're all feeling good. 

Chick - hard work in the heat if you're not a fan hey! Well done on a decent few weeks training and mileage. 

2old - noooooo - more calf trouble. Nightmare. 

Bazza - hope you're getting back into it now. 

Move decided to train every day in July. Hardly worthy of o4S challenge 5k!!