Bike help

MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hello friendly tri people (don't eat me!)

I'm wondering if you can help out a clueless runner... I fancy a bit of a foray into cycling, but currently don't own a bike.  I've had a couple of goes on a friend's, and enjoyed it enough to think it's worth getting one, but I don't really know what to look for so wondered if anyone could suggest anything?  

I'm looking for something not too expensive - say £300-£400 at most, that will be good enough to make the whole experience reasonably pleasant.  I'm also a fairly small female at 5'2 and about 8.5 stone, if that makes any difference, and not especially strong so don't think I want something too heavy.  Open to second hand options.

If I sound really thick about it, it's because I am.  Any thoughts on what to look for and where?

Comments

• Madbee - let people on here know roughly where you live.... we are a friendly bunch (in the main) and many of us would like to see a half descent bike used than stuck in the shed collecting dust - resultantly you might get something good enough to see if you can get in to cycling for a good price (same with swim suits).

If you are looking to buy new or second hand don't automatically think that the more you spend the better bike you will get.

Speak to a few before taking the plunge, from the kids at Halfords to your local bike shop.

Ensure that you pick a flat, quiet route with good road surfaces for your first ventures. Also somewhere to have a good nosey....

Seats will always hurt for the first 3 or 4 trips, then you it wont even be a concern.

I am a few years in to cycling the first 15-20 mins are still just about getting going - once you start thinking about something else other than cycling you have cracked it, the hours just drift.

Once you get in to it you will realise what you need to spend for the level you want to be riding at - someone will always have a more expensive bike.

xx

• For that kind of money a good bet is the B'twin Triban 300 or 500 from decathlon, if you have a store you can get to.  Huge range of sizes, so ideally take someone with you who can help with the fit - it would be very easy for you to end up with one that's actually too big for you.  The smaller sizes in those models have 650cc wheels which may suit you better.

You could get something very nice second hand for that money, but there won't be too many options in your size I'm afraid.

• does your company run a bike to work scheme at all ?
  • This Facebook group offers daily temptation at reasonable prices:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/461291077308043/?fref=ts

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Thank you all, good advice image

LittlePhyllis, I am in County Durham - anyone in the area is most welcome to mutter about anything they have lying around in their garage! image

Thanks Cheerful Dave for advice - I was vaguely aware of the dangers of getting the wrong size - having borrowed other people's bikes for transport purposes and found them very uncomfortable, I will definitely be looking for something that is a good fit.

Cougie, nice idea but no, I work for a tiny charity with 5 members of staff about 25 miles from where I live, so bike to work things aren't very practical!

Lou, thanks, I'll take a peek when they let me into the inner circleimage 

I guess I need to take LittlePhyllis's suggestion of going to talk to some bike shop people and seeing what they suggest, but are there any particular features I should be looking for eg gearing systems, ideas of sizes etc?  

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Oh.  Just looked up nearest Decathlon store and it's about 2 hours drive.  I think that might be a no image

• IslandIsland ✭✭✭

I got mine from Halfords... the customer service was crap though ...

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-zelos-womens-road-bike

• I'm in a girls only cycling club in Hull - there may be a couple of bargain bikes (possible one for free if you make a good case) among our members - but its a bit of trek from County Durham?

• Britrisky wrote (see)

I'm in a girls only cycling club in Hull - there may be a couple of bargain bikes (possible one for free if you make a good case) among our members - but its a bit of trek from County Durham?

A bit of a Trek? image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Britrisky, I spent 10 years in Hull so any excuse for a trip down there - still have lots of friends to go and visit!  I'm more than happy to pay a fair price for a second hand one if anyone does have anything going spare image  

(It's not the Sunday Girls is it?)

• Yes, it is!

I've PM'd you