Bournemouth Marathon Festival 2015 - Full Marathon

Comments

• Morning all.....after much deliberation I have now entered. Having said 'never again' I've somehow found myself entering another Marathon. Training has been going ok....up to 15 miles on my long runs so hopefully will be able to build on this over the coming months.

• Well done LB. You're not really a proper marathon runner unless you chant 'never again' a few times a year.It's just your head trying to lead you heart and we all know better than that.

Ian - my memory is that New Forest is quite hilly. Other than two short, sharp inclines at Bournemouth it's flat and I would say more PB friendly. Only proviso is that Bournemouth is very exposed to the elements so a windy day could make that much more challenging but then you can only control the controllables!

• Thanks Rob, after much deliberation I've gone with the New Forest, I think I'd rather plan to get over some hills than risk the wind off the sea. Maybe next time!

I only said never again after the training but before my first marathon, I enjoyed my first so am back for more..

• IM3 - Can't be a bad choice can it running through the New Forest image

12 weeks to race week and P&D is leaving me a bit broken. Tough old schedule image

• So I took a last minute decision and entered before the closing date last week! 2 weeks of training under my belt and a nice 15 miler to look forward to tomorrow! I'm in Bournemouth for a week in August so I'm definitely going to have to try out this infamous mile 18 hill image

• There's also a hill at Boscombe Chine Gardens.

• Hello - my wife has an entry she is looking to transfer (which can be done legitimately by 16 August). There is a £15 transfer fee that is payable to the organisers and this will need to be paid direct to the organiser and she is looking for around £30 ish ish. Anyone interested then please reply to this message. Cheers. 

• I ran the inaugural event couple years ago and considering to entering again this year through GFA. I've moved back to Bourrnemouth earlier in the year and train along the promenade (southbourne/Boscombe end) regularly anyway.

Will be hoping to go sub-3:05 again once decided.
  • Hi. I also have an entry that I am looking to transfer before the transfer window closes on the 16th August. I'm happy to discuss how much for, it would just be nice to get some money back. If anyone is interested then please message me. Thanks! 

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Hi Bushey,

Please PM me

• Hi Rob Jones 2. Thanks for all your info. I was also hoping to run Bournemouth to get a GFA in London, but think I should have maybe chosen somewhere elseimage I ran Manchester in April which was flatter than flat and I guess in my excitement forgot to check the course before booking this. You said the hill at 18 miles is 400-500 metres, is that high or long? Also I think you mentioned that you have to run through the finish at mile 18 too. That sounds a bit weird. What about the hill that I have heard mentioned at mile 13? It's funny how things change. When I ran the inauguaral Brighton marathon and they talked about the hills, I nearly passed out just thinking about them, in fact, they weren't so bad, now, I am not worried about running up the hills, just whether it will affect my chances of a PB. 

• Honestly...don't worry about the hills.

The one just before halfway takes me just over 200 strides (have counted lots of times)! I run approx 7 minute/miles and takes me just over a minute to get up. Really not that bad.

The one at 18 is twice as long so really not that disasterous. You pass behind (not through) the finish line which psychologically can be tough as it's also often when the legs are starting to go. Fine if you're prepared for it though. I really don't think that combined the hills should cost you more than a minute or two which you can just make up elsewhere.

Don't forget that you are compensated with two respective downhill stretches and the rest is very flat!

I've run Manchester (which was very quick). I'd say this course might be a minute or two slower but there are many, many tougher courses out there. Manchester doesn't have sand, sea and beach huts either!
  • This is going to be my 1st marathon and also 1st trip to Bournemouth. Training OK but have a few practical questions. is parking likely to be a nightmare? I see the half-marathon starts before the full one so I'm guessing the place will be heaving quite early on. Also is it worth buying the bus passes sold on the run bmf website? There are 5 of us (myself plus family coming to support) so it's quite expensive but don't mind buying if a good idea to. Any other good practical information/tips will be gratefully recieved! 

• My first marathon also and very much looking forward to it. See you all there

• Cant really advise re bus passes I'm afraid Sazzle as I've never needed them. The start area is busy but well organised and the half leaves a full 2 hours before the full marathon so not too chaotic. There's excellent support crew to deal with questions/belongings and plenty of toilets! Always seems well organised to me.

What are the bus passes for? Is it for your supporters to get to central Bournemouth? The town is well served by cabs which wouldn't work out too expensive for four spectators but there are a various road closures so might be best going the official route.

• Thanks Rob. We're staying in Poole the night before and can't decide to whether to get the train in on Sunday morning or drive. Would rather have the car close for  exit after the race but don't know Bournemouth at all and not sure how parking etc will be. I think the buses are to transport people from the main car parks to the start and finish.

• You can park in central Bournemouth for £5.50 all day at weekends, behind Westover Road or in the multi story in the triangle. that would be the best thing to do to make a fast exit. Then just get a taxi to the start, that would be my advice. 

• does anyone know if there will be pace groups? i know at the beginning you go to your allocated section in accordance to the finish time you were going for.. but just wondered if there was pacers or pace groups you can pull out the crowd as you go and run with... i know you get this at places but hoping there is a group for bournemouth!

also...

just a heads up folks. the is major road works going into bournemouth on the motorway ( what i got told today anyway) so i was adivsed to leave extra early as marathon day is going to be nightmare traffic..

• Hi all

I'm a local doing the Bournemouth Marathon so to confirm what Mr Bojangles says - the dual carriageway leading in and out of Bournemouth - A338 Wessex Way -  (and pretty much the only way in and out of the town) is down to one lane in each direction. It's been causing severe traffic delays during the week so I would imagine that come next Sunday, the traffic will be just as bad so definitely allow more time than you think you will need (if you're too early, you can just fit in an extra portaloo trip before setting off!).

Re the buses - I know there are local buses that will take you from the Pier (where the race ends) back to Kings Park (start and car park) for much less than the money being charged by the organisers. I think it's a Yellow Bus - not sure of the number but if you google it you should find the timetable easily enough. You will be going from Bournemouth Square to Kings Park. Or else a taxi wouldn't set you back a fortune and more convenient/comfortable. United Taxis is the main company in the town centre so I'm sure they could give you an idea of the costs if you gave them a quick call.

Just checked the 14 day weather forecast - currently showing as being light rain and max 17 degrees although I imagine that will change! It's the wind you need to keep an eye on though - running along the sea front sounds very lovely and scenic but if there's wind, it's a b*gger!

• Thanks all for then device above. Kirsty do you think it would be a good idea to leave the car in Poole (where we're staying) and get the train over?  We're very near the train station in Poole and I understand Pokesdown Station is near the start. Great help re the official buses too - £8.50 x 5 was adding up!!

• Best bet might be to get the bus to the start - More Bus number M2 runs from Poole Bus Station straight through to Pokesdown - if you ask the driver when you get on, I'm sure he'll give you the nod when you get to the best stop.

http://morebus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=1624

They run every 15 mins and should take about 40 mins to do the journey. You can then get the same bus back to Poole afterward but from Bournemouth town centre instead.

• Doing my first half marathon here on Sunday. is the half course fairly quick and flat? Never run thw distance before, so hope so! image

• Hi folks, the big day is nearly here!! good luck to everyone running and enjoy your selves.

Keep an eye out for me at the start, I am marshalling, I will be keeping order at the portaloos, I will be the gobby northern one, feel free to say hello. I will make sure that there is plenty of loo roll!!!!

• Andy J2, the Half course is generally flat and fast. There's a hill at about the 8.5 miles mark but this isn't too demanding (according to my Garmin, a total elevation for this section of about 100 feet). Much more important is how the weather turns out on the day. Fingers crossed it will be calm with only a gentle sea breeze on Sunday.

Good luck to you and everyone else.

• Just to say folks that Bournemouth is looking stunning in the sunshine and weather conditions look like they will hold out for Sunday. No gale-force headwinds or horizontal rain to worry about. Perfect weekend to spend by the seaside! Should be plenty of supporters out now too which always helps and there will also be a perfect excuse for a post-race ice-cream.

Best of luck to all of those running.

• Hi Everyone

Greats reviews and very helpful. Thanks

This will be my first marathon. Training went well but the last 3 - 4 weeks I had to have phyiso for my IT Band. Now in Bournemouth with my husband who is also running. I have a cold now but that's not stopping me running. I think I'm mentally there and feel there is no turning back now. My average miles a week was 62 miles + 40 miles cycling to work a week. I loved doing the training it just shows how your body can adapt.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. The main thing is to enjoy it and don't pressure yourself.

Fecat ????
  • Ran 1:58 for my first ever Half and pleased with that. Thought it was a lovely route - might give the full marathon a crack next year.