Comrades 2016

Comments

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Becca - which website did you use for the city lodge? Have looked a couple of times but they are saying no rooms available.I assumed they hadn't released them yet since last year i didn't book until November.

And the latest issue of RW has a big mac as recovery food. Are we sure that SD is not a ghost writer and was trying it out at Comrades for practice!!!!

And its a bugger re flights for TO. In my experience the prices only go up for that one.

Lowrez - enjoy the Newham 10k. I ran that in 2013 and the bit under the stadium and through the tunnel towards the end was the best bit. Particularly as they had playing Chariots Of fire through the speakers!! Enjoy.

And interesting when people on here call marathons, qualifiers. You know you are hooked when that happens!!

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

Trivago took me to Onhotels, who I think I booked through 2 years ago.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Hahaha - Becca, I was really tempted - I think if it was on the side of the road we were running on, I would have succumbed...

Marty - I plead not guilty...
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Are people having to pay for hotels upfront?  Any cancellation policy?  I take it that people stay in Durban?

• jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd stick my head round the door and say hello.  It never fails to make me smile at how quickly everyone is looking to the next one image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Loving the enthusiasm to go back for more, or for the first time. It's more than a race.

Looking forward to seeing Lorenzo's qualifying time at Abo image

I actually went for a short run today, to fill in time while trying to get an MRI scan on the wrecked knee. Wondering how to break it to MrsP that...well, you know what.

• Hi all, Well im back as a periodic stalker of this blog site.  2015 was my first comrades - best day of my life, agree more than a race its a journey.  Always thought this was a one and done type event.  Never thought Id consider doing it again, but its not even a question now.   Was also turned when i ended up sitting next to Garth and Helen on the flight back from SA

But it has taken me a long time to recover.  Went to an orthodepic surgeon a few weeks ago and had an MRI on the calves/shins - seems like many on this site are keeping these doctors and radiologists busy, they must love us.  Was close to a stress fracture.  Will be in physio for a few more weeks strengthening calves/achilles

Easing back into running but taking it easy for another month or so before getting back into full swing.

• Hi DWood (which is my initial and surname too)

• haha.  Another woody! - great initials indeed, so much so I gave it to my son as well.  Think there were about 6+ D.Wood's on the wall of participants at the expo in durban

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Poacher - from the chitchat at this year, the going rate seems to be a Mulberry handbag or a spa visit.  

DWood - got to get your B2B!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Does a trip on a wet Wednesday to a bingo hall in Leamington Spa count?? Thought not. This year the sweetener was a trip to Isandlwhana, Ladysmith & the Drakensberg, which was no hardship.

DW - B2B is essential.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Not sure my hubby is up for a Mulberry handbag or spa visit!  He did just go to Japan for a week on his own for a holiday whilst i looked after our kids.  I think with the spouse thing, it's really important that they are ok with it, especially if you have kids (not sure if you do).  Ask them what they would like, a weekend away with friends, a particular race, climb a mountain etc etc.

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

I have a team entry (6 to 8 people) for Thunder Run 24 that isn't being used, if you're interested in this, please message me. www.tr24.co.uk

• Hello Guys and Girls,as a Comrades virgin should I be booking myself or using a tour group for my first ?

Thanks

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

I and others have found that it is pretty easy to organise a trip ourselves.  You can get buses from Durban to the race start and tickets are on sale at the Expo.

• This year was my first. I booked the hotel and flight myself and then relied on the good folk of this forum and UK Facebook group to guide me image  You really don't need a tour.  Stay up to date here and on FB and there will be meet ups organised, flight details swapped and you'll never feel like you're on your own.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

runaround - booking yourself. Is piece of cake.

Summary: book accommodation early: Hilton, City Lodge, Bluewater or (ask here for other options)

book flights 12 to 1 month out (people seem to be able to book flights quite close to the event without paying more) looking at ~£660+ say

get cash out at an ATM at JNB when changing flights, or at DUR 
    you can also get a local SIM card at an MTN or Voda shop in airports

once you are at Durban (aka King Shaka) airport, go to the airport shuttle - is a minibus outside International Arrivals iirc but you can just ask someone - and tell them what hotel - is 80 rand for a ticket and you will be with other runners image

You do need to phone the shuttle to book the pickup for the return to the airport however.

Your hotel will say where is safe to walk and where's a bit dodgy (like they would in the US basically).

Expo is opposite the Hilton and be sure to not join the queue, the Internationals registration queue is normally about 4 people long because we have a special desk.

Er what else?

Bus tickets to get to/from start/finish are sold at the expo, 70 Rand.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

I did book a tour my first go out (actually just because I didn't realise I could get bus tickets at the Expo to get my OH to the finish in PMB - was an Up run that year - and I wasn't impressed, though I've heard less rubbish reports of other tours (from other companies) ). Really no point I think.

• Thanks for the information everyone, all sounds straight forward just need to finalise the day pass with better half ( i fear one mulberry may not be enough if i don't get there and back before lunch)

probably be back with 100 more questions soon

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I booked a tour this year but slept in and missed it, don't think I missed too much in terms of practical knowledge about the route, although just hanging out with other runners for a few hours would have been good, and browsing around the PM museum/gift shop sounded worthwhile. At the expo I discovered Bruce Fordyce was doing his own tours - wouldn't mind one of those next year.
    Getting shut of me for a few days was a positive aspect for my better half image, not sure what she did with the crate of champagne though image.

Dubai, surprised you didn't evaporate in that heat, even on a 5k...for fans of Daniel Gabriel that is 111 degrees!

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    The *course* tour is good as long as you can spare the half day.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Aha! I'm with the previous question and feedback now - "tour" as in booking the whole several day trip with a grand organising super company? Defo not worth it. If I never make the qualifying time for Boston, as a last resort, I would book a tour for that. But there is no route in to Comrades like that, and as yet there is no pressure on gaining a place, it doesn't sell out on day 1, or even month 1, bags cheaper sewing it together yourself.

Marty, good to hear Newham is worth it, I ticked a huge item off my bucket list in 2012:-

/members/images/54278/Gallery/S1060379a.jpg

Will be aiming for a lane 7 finish. Another crate of champagne to the missus next weekend!
    DWood - hope things are settling down OK; looking back at the marathon I did a fortnight after Comrades - what was I thinking!? Today is my 21st rest day in a row; will try 5k later today as a warm up to Newham.  

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Did a tour with SPI to Boston - long story - pricey but great. Was worth it.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Not me.  If I never qualify for Boston, so be it.  Some things are too sacred to pay for.  I'll then be happy with 5 of the 6 majors.  

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Googled SPI and became marooned on South Padre Island, Texas, apparently a very flat place and a great spot to get a Comrades qualifier in the fall! I'm sure I have barked up the wrong tree again, doh! I mean woof!

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Next year I get an extra 10 minutes which brings it within reach if I can regain my best form, which actually wasn't that fantastic; had a superb first half which turned into a "bad day"; really weird on reflection to describe a pb run like that. 3:47 which should have been a sub 3:30. Of course as I become either quicker or older those qualifiers sink even lower due to the rest of the world piling in to the sport, which is a good thing overall, but not for a struggling injury pit like me. Boston though is not something I am seeking to qualify for until next year's Comrades has passed. 

• I did Comrades and Boston last year (there few advantages to being a middle-aged female person but the easier BQ times are definitely one of them). It wasn't the best of experiences - because my training was focused on Comrades I didn't really do myself justice in Boston. So I'm hoping to train for a fastish marathon later this year to get back in 2017.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RR - if my plans come together, it'll be Boston 2017 for me too.  But everything has to come together as I'm still a bit far off (7 mins)

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭

I did Boston and Comrades in 2014.  The Newton Hills were good practice for the run-of-the-mill-no-name hills at Comrades.  It was a nice race to do without any pressure as to time, with the focus being on a nice easy race and enjoying the experience.  

• Lowrez you get used to the heat, been cool the last 2 mornings at 34 so got 15k in both days, was planning the same today but just off night shift and I'm tired.