Jenga's Training Plan

Comments

• JJ, good - next is LSR 12k on Sunday.  DO NOT RUN HARD.

Next week -

Tuesday 5k easy, then 5 x (400m at 5:30 pace then 100m easy jog) then up to 1.5k cool off.  So total distance around 9k.  You should find this easy - that does not mean you are not running fast enough!  Stick to the paces. This week you should not finish any session feeling wiped out.

Thursday or Friday (whichever fits your schedule) 3k jog just to keep loose and turning over.

and have a swim or two if you feel like it, just don't push too hard.

• 12km done, bloody hell it was hot. I now know why marathons are in the spring, no way could you train for a marathon in this heat, as we are not used to it.

Pulled my back at 5km from breathing in deep, stopped for 20 seconds then carried on. It will heal in a few days no issues. My back is always glass from my football days.

• I think i got that run spot on timing wise. Have a look and see what you think.

With only the 3km to go on Friday and a swim maybe tomorrow what are we aiming for race wise?  

Is sub 55 the target, ie/ 5mins 30secs per km? 

• JJ, I think you should try for a PB.  No harm giving it a go, and you should be feeling pretty good by now?

• I am hoping for a PB yes,weather looks as though should be ok. PB is currently 56.52.

If i can work towards 54.52 and push at the end i will hopefully get that, and maybe even well below that. 2 mins off a PB will be good.

• I'd still go for a slower 1st half and push hard 2nd half, especially if it is hot.  You can run out of steam pretty fast if the weather is humid.

• I think you are right. Perhaps 5.45 for the first 5-6km then push hard. Good point you make actually.

I will cry if I don't get a PB lol.
  • image all looking good right now, except might be a little warm.  But you've been training in warm weather at least.

Race number?

• 1654   - We Love Manchester 10km.

• imageimage 

Great result JJ!  I look forward to seeing the splits and reading your detailed report image

• Well that was a mixed feelings result for me.

Delighted to get a massive PB of 55.05 (race result 55.06) and it is showing that the continual training is working and i am improving as we go. Steady progress is what keeps me going, knowing that i am continually getting stronger.

Disappointed not to have cracked the 55 barrier (next time).but my watch read long at 10.07. Maybe I should have focused more on overall time rather than pace, but it is nice to be disappointed having got a huge PB.

The course was quite undulating with some long down hill runs but then long up hill sections as well.It was also quite twisty.

The weather was warm, great about 45 mins before the race with a little rain, then the rain stopped and it warmed up so it was quite humid.

The start involved a lot of dancing around people, but i managed to keep the pace up. I felt myself burning up at 4.5km and so the water stop at 5km was welcomed. But this i think is where i lost my time. I lost 15 seconds on this split whilst drinking and pouring it over my head to try to cool down.

Managed to pick the pace up again until 8km when i lost another 15 seconds, this was because of a large uphill section.

During the race my body was good, the legs were fine, although my left calf was tight for the first 4km. I also got a small stitch at 4km but nothing much,

At the end I didnt have much left to increase the speed, but i managed to pull back a little time, just not quite enough for sub 55.

Really happy overall, a good run, enjoyable, a PB and ready now to work towards a sub 2hr Great North Run. That will be hard, but a half marathon PB beating 2:09:38 is definately on the cards.

Thanks for your continued efforts Louise.

• bit off a blow out sunday and today on food and beer to celebrate.

So half marathon training now. where do we start what is the plan as i have no idea to be honest.what i need to do.

• Ok! Next run just so 8k easy & I'll do the next phase based on your new PB.

Half marathon date?
  • 13/9/15.

I would love to crack 2 hours but i think this is possibly beyond my capabilities this yearbut never say never.

So what i am aiming for is a PB which currently stands at 2:09:38 from Oulton Park half marathon which was a build up to the Marathon.

Continual improvement is the key. 

I also need to lose 1/2 stone in weight for this. I was down to 12 stone, but currently 12st 8pds. Some of that is definately muscle, some of that is flab that i need to lose but not a lot, i can still fit in to the same clothes i could at 12 stone. Maybe i just need to get a little more ripped lol

2 months to go, this will then dictate where my marathon time will be in April 16 or at least where i hope it will be.

Exciting times for me to be honest. I am feeling now like a runner rather than a guy who is fat who can run a little.image

• Ok JJ, working on the next phase of the plan.  We have a nice 8 week cycle, perfect.  Long runs will extend a bit, but mostly focus will be longer intervals and some lovely hills for strength.

This week -

Easy 8 (as previously mentioned) this just to get you back in the post-race swing of things.  How are your legs?

Intervals - this week's session will be HARD

1.5k warm up, 5 x 1k at 5:05, followed by 200m walk / jog (I think you will be walking this image) then 1.5 cool off.  If 5:05 is too difficult, drop it back to 5:10 pace, better to finish the session than to blow out if you can't hit the 5:05.

LSR this week is a nice easy 16k.

Let me know how it goes. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done John - a pb (not sure how much, but a big one by the sounds of it) is always great reward for the hard work put into training. As for the water stop costing you time, personally I would never contemplate stopping (or even taking the water on the run) in a 10k as, provided you are properly hydrated before the start, you shouldn't really need water in a race where you are running less than an hour I don't think (obvious exceptions are if it is a ridiculously hot day, but then you probably wouldn't be near pb pace anyway so a few extra seconds won't hurt!). It is trial and error though, and we all learn with every single race we do I guess!

Good luck with the HM training image

• Good to finally put a face to a name on Sunday JJ!  Congrats on the PB and cheers once again for the lift.

• Good to meet you also John, no problems on the lift, it was a pleasure.

LG, my legs are ok, they were shot Sunday and Monday and i felt i needed to go on the rack to stretch them out. But they are good now, just a little sore at the top of the thighs, they will be good for tomorrow.

Intervals do look hard will be interesting to see how i get on image

• 8km easy done, nothing more to say, easy.

I could do with a recap though as to where we are with pacing for the easy, tempo and LSRs if you have those available. 

Have they changed now or are we still at 6.00 to 6.15.   5.30 to 5.45 and 6.30 to 6.45 - I think?

Please can you check and clarify so i run at the right speeds.

Thanks.

• JJ - here they are -  

Recovery   6:41-7:10

LSR   6:03-6:51

Easy   6:01-6:36

Tempo   5:20- 5:30

Might be a stretch, if you can't hit them this week they are targets towards the end of the 8 week cycle so don't worry too much.  Your 8k easy was comfortably in the right range though.

• AndrewD, thanks for your comments.

Year it was a big PB, almost 2 minutes off my time.

As for water, my intention was not to drink but it was just too hot and i was burning up and my mouth was very dry. 

• Well i enjoyed that interval run, it was hard on the last one, but looking at the times i think i managed to keep the pace up. I was making some nice grunting noises as i reached the end of each km lol.

I even managed the cool down as well, albeit slow. Had to walk in between each repeat though, i think had i run i would not have made it.

Overall i would say those paces were spot on for me, fast enough for me to struggle but also allowing me to just complete the exercise.

• JJ, that was absolutely spot on.  Heart rate hit target every time too.  8 weeks time you will be able to jog the break instead of walking image.

Next week -

10k easy

Hills - 1.5 warm up, 8 x up hard down easy, 1.5 cool off - works out about 9k

LSR 18k

• Just so you know i am on holiday next Saturday for a week, I am taking my running stuff and will do what i can, ahould get some good runs in, but we need to bear it in mind for next weeks plan.

• 16km done, must hydrTe more, must not eat lamb madras the night before when my body is not used to eating junk.

Was ok to 14km then felt it for the last two mainly due to hydration.

Hills on Wednesday and my sister is joining me.
  • JJ, where in Spain will you be?  Hilly or flat, country or city?

I could see you were struggling a bit - that's where heart monitors are so useful.

• Spain hahaha, i will be in Wales with the sheep at Saundersfoot. Not sure what the terrain will be but i expect hilly.

Going with my sister and brother in law, so they will also be running, so i will get out and also there is a small gym at the house we have rented, as well as a sauna and hot tub hehehe.

• Hills done, that was tough as always. I managed to jog down for the first few, but knew i could not finish i carried on, so walked the rest. 10km overall distance.

Good fun though.

Easy run on Friday prior to my hols and will do the LSR hopefully whilst away along with the weeks programme whatever that will be.

I will have my phone so can still post how i did but wont be able to post data, until i get home.

• JJ, don't know where I go the idea you were going to Spain; probably because I am going next month for a few days image

So next week would be

10k easy

1 session of long intervals - 1.5k warm up, then 6 x 1300m at 5:10 pace with 200m walk/jog,  1.5k cool off (12k total)

LSR 16k

For the long intervals session, make a judgement call - if you are in a nice hilly place (Wales image) then maybe do another hill session instead?  Hills are great in so many ways, might be a good idea to take advantage of the opportunity.

• lucky you, work or pleasure?

Well tonight was no good, been packing for the holiday all day and it got to about 5pm and i just collapsed in bed and fell asleep. I felt pretty ropey so for the first time in almost ever i missed a run, not due to injury.

#feelingfatnow