Ways of finding volunteers to help out at a race

I'm the race director for an ultra marathon called the SVP100, which is scheduled to take place on 15th August in Suffolk / Essex. To ensure the smooth running and success of this event (and any sporting event), enthusiastic volunteers are absolutely essential.

Setting up and directing the race has been a learning curve, and I was surprised by the number of volunteers required to put on a running event. In the past couple of years, we have been lucky enough to have a good selection of keen helpers. However, as the race is growing, it's becoming more essential to ensure that the event is adequately resourced.

Are there any sites on the web for finding potential volunteers? I've taken a quick look, but have not found any sites beyond Gumtree. In the past we have relied upon word of mouth through local running clubs, in addition to social media groups on Facebook, but I feel like I might be missing out on something.

If anyone has any sensible suggestions regarding alternative ways of finding volunteers for races, I would be very interested to hear. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Have you tried local community groups such as scouts and cadets? They regularly marshal shorter races around here.

Are you a 'for profit' race Matthew? If so you could always try cold hard cash, assuming t he free spot next year isn't pulling them in.

I'd be interested, but I'm already marshaling the NDW100 the week before, and hoping to run the race August 2016...

• Thanks both for your advice and interest in the race PMO.

I'd not thought about the scouts, but that could be a good idea, assuming there is not loads of paperwork to fill out. I'll investigate further.

We do offer volunteer technical t-shirts and free race entry, and try to ensure that people don't end up out of pocket.

Thanks again and enjoy marshaling on the North Downs

• local running clubs maybe,,, I think word of mouth is probably the best way....email out to all those entered any if they have friend and family who will help..

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Also offer runners who are injured a chance to defer to another race if they help out and a future free place too. That way you ought to get some help from people who have that weekend free and will enjoy cheering on fellow runners.
  • Thanks everyone. I've tried both of those approaches, which some degree of ongoing success. I was just curious as to whether I was missing anything really obvious. Thanks again for the ideas though.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Obviously an ultra takes ages and that probably puts most folk off helping out. My local parkrun often struggles for help and that is usually only an hour all in.
  • ParkRun is a different issue I think VDOT. There's no free place for the next event when it's all 'free'.image

• GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I've volunteered at quite a few races, but have normally approached the RD myself as they've been events I've run in the past.

If you maintain an email list of past entrants then an email-shot to those people may hook you a few more volunteers. People who've done the event before are invaluable as volunteers and marshals, they know the course, what the competitors are going through and can offer good advice!

Other than that, the usual social media channels, a specific area on the website about volunteering, duties and benefits, (free entry, food etc...) with a specific contact email address might help.

Now I think about it though, I'm surprised that no such register of willing volunteers exists that people can register on. Maybe it does?

• Thanks GeeeM. Yes, perhaps a short email to past competitors might be a good idea. Thanks for that!

We have a section on our website for volunteers explaining duties, benefits etc. so already have that base covered.

Indeed, perhaps there is an opportunity for someone to create a volunteer database, so that people looking to get involved can get involved. I've volunteered at quite a few races organised by friends or my running club, helping out at aid stations and sweeping, and I've found it incredibly rewarding putting something back into a sport I love. Perhaps there are more people out there who would be keen to get involved, but just don't know about the opportunities available to them.

• Thanks Christmas Tree, some good ideas there. 

I think getting kids or young adults involved might come with plenty of extra paperwork, so perhaps I'll give that a miss for the time being. 

I'll certainly have a look at the Run England website. Cheers

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

A local race used to do (probably still does) a deal whereby a group supplying N volunteers would get a donation of £M

• Hi Matthew, I look after a volunteering legacy project called the  'Sport and Event Volunteering Project' which is based in Suffolk. Essentially the project aims to bridge the gap in lack of awareness of volunteering opportunities, helping to promote opportunities (within Suffolk). We currently have ~450 registered volunteers in Suffolk. The project promotes a wide range of sport, cultural, arts and heritage events around Suffolk.

I can't guarantee you any volunteers, but can certainly help promote it. The website is: www.suffolkvolunteeringlegacy.org.uk

The project can also help support promotion via the National Do-It website

• Thanks Daniel, that's great to know.

• Got an email from England Athletics today promoting this site for sports volunteers:

https://www.joininuk.org/about-us/

hopefully that's of some use to you.

• Thanks Tom. I've sent them an email. They may be linked to Daniel (above), but I'll see what they have to say. Cheers