Sub 3h15

Comments

• Great running from OO junior and accident tales from Lorenzo.

Gul: solid 12 there and indeed that third rep is fast. Not sure how 3x2 miles fits into a marathon schedule though: that is a classic 10k session so maybe you need to knock off a few parkruns and then find a 10k to go sub-40.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Superb stuff from OOjunior! Just how fast will she go?

Very lucky escape Lorenzo. Have a great holiday - 3 weeks in Borneo sounds amazing.

Great news VTr image (the running rather than the hair pets)

Good work from BI there - a corner turned methinks.

Lovely run the other night with the club over fells, walls and bogs for a very mucky 90 minutes of fun. Bike session yesterday too and no grumblings at all from Mr Achilles. I now declare myself fit and open for business. Here we go again!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Gul, your HRM sounds a bit flakey. You might be worrying about variation in the measurement system rather than variation in your performance.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Phew, Lorenzo. That's definitely just 8 lives remaining.  Take care and enjoy the amazing holiday!

Don't overdo the come back too soon will you, SJ? the next month could see you going either way depending on how you handle it. Obviously my over enthusiasm saw me becoming firm friends with my Achilles woes as here I am three years later learning to manage it to run.

Club night and a hilly run tonight which I was able to run for the first time ever as a club mate offered her daughter as a sitter - result! 10@8:19/mi in very pleasant company. image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - glad to hear you're okay after the car accident. Have a good holiday.
    PMJ - I vaguely have one eye on P&D 18wk up to 70mpw schedule and wanted to throw in a couple of runs with an LT block, but decided to break it down into chunks. The plan is to pick up the schedule proper after my summer holiday at the start of the LT&Endurance mesocycle. Would be nice to do a 10k, but can't find a suitable one.
    SJ - that's a good recovery! And I'm sure you're right about the HRM.
    MsE - Glad you could get to do the club run.
    8 plodtastic miles this morning. After 5.5 miles the GPS went dead - low battery image Estimated the rest of the distance based on the pace which had been very consistent (i.e dead slow!) Not sure if it affected HR too as it read avg 129 max 138!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Careful now Lorenzo. Did you enjoy Hartlepool? (my family's ancestral home town)

Minni, TAR, OO - good luck for Sunday at the Coastal. I'll be picking up the number early then hanging around where the car park empties onto the beach at the start. Yellow top with North East Mara Club in letters big enough to be read from Mars. See you there. Nice slow run in prospect (except for OO)

• MsE, I'll see your 10@8:19/mi and up you with a 10@7:46/mi. It was the last night of Guides (actually Rangers) for daughter #3 before she sets of to university next year and they go out to a local camp-site on the Chilterns escarpment next to Chequers to have a BBQ with real fires. It is about a half hour drive so pointless driving for an hour to get back home during the hour and a half meeting so I park up and go for a run. Always a hard choice of route as the area is criss-crossed with good paths but no single long stretch to get into a good rhythm on. In the end settled for a section of the North Bucks Way and I learned two things:

1) Land-owners are very varied in what they consider acceptable maintenance of foot paths. Some are clear and good finger posts, others over grown and finger posts missing, stiles broken etc.

2) You can run downhill without noticing it but not uphill. Turns out I did 5 miles out generally downhill which I thought was actually fractionally uphill and then the 5 back showed how downhill the first 5 actually were.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

That's a good outcome Lorenzo from a big negative event.  Enjoy your hols.

Good to see both SJ and MsE getting over their nigglettes.

Yes SJ, feel as though I am turning a corner.  In addition to the long period of intermittent running (read lack of consistency), there are two factors (in addition to ageing) that have affected my running.  These are the altitude and heat.  The altitude where I live is fairly low at around 1450m, but nevertheless has an effect.  I think it is chapter 9 of Noakes who points out the fastest know time of a marathon at such an altitude is 2:16 from an athlete running 2:06 at sea-level.  It's winter now so a much greater portion of my body's resources goes into forward motion and not just keeping cool.

Tuesday's session was still in the legs as last night's run felt a bit weary.  I had to both get myself to speed up at the beginning and then slow down for 6ish miles at 8:30m/m pace.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'll look our for you Poacher, should be a cracking day out!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    You'll be an aero monster with consistent training in those conditions BI. Any plans to cash it in at some point in the future with an appearance at a low level, cool marathon?

Good luck to the coastal warriors!

Sage council as always MsE. I had another bike session yesterday and a faster run up and down the fell last night and all is still well. I promise that I will be careful when introducing speed work over the next fortnight
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

No plans for that SJ at this stage.  There is a rumour of a marathon in Bloemfontein (1000m altitude) in mid-November which I would hopefully do if it really is going to happen.  Otherwise the other 'local' marathons around Joburg/Pretoria are at about 1800m.  To do a sea-level marathon I need to drive at least 10 hours so a very big time investment unless combined with a holiday.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    That puts the size of SA in perspective BI!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great report Birch. How much weight have u gained since vLM? I am sure it can be the main factor. Anyway I will take that at 60+image
  • Evening all. I am also crazy busy at the mo and have only skim read - sorry! OO, I am so impressed with your youngster! 

Bagged another summer league race win on Wednesday but the pace was way off where I should be. I need some competition to push me. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Return to form continues with 38.13 for a multi terrain 10k. Course pb but I probably shouldn't risk racing OOJnr just yet... The fast girls stayed at home so also a nice ??80 in running shop vouchers image
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Best wishes to the coastal crew.
    PMJ - nice 10 miler - I fold.
    Bike It - think I'd pass out at that altitude.
    Speedy - still a win.
    Jools - cracking 10k and nice prize too.
    19 miles this morning. 9.5 out @ 8:13 m/m | HR 140 (oops a bit faster than MP+20%) and 9.5 back @ 7:43 m/m | HR 156. Total for the week: 69 miles.

• Good pair of victories from Speedy and Jools. Just over 38 mins for a multi-terrain 10K sounds impressive to me!

Another super early start from Gul - you're cranking up the mileage at the mo. No niggles I hope.

Just under 12, mainly off road, miles for me this morning on the back of 40 miles on the bike to and from work yesterday. Highlight of my running week has been picking up a prize (local running shop vouchers) for winning my division in the club Grand Prix competition.

Off to the Iffley Road track (of Roger Bannister fame) this afternoon to see if younger Lorenzito can do a sub-5 minute mile. Hoping to see Jenny Meadows who's due to be racing about half an hour after him.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Well done Jools and Speedy!

Nice miles from Gul (20 more than me this week!) and Lorenzo. Wishing Lorenzo Jr all the best today.

Bike It you are definitely returning to form. Keep on keeping on!

15 today split into 12 on my own before taking MsEtte1 to parkrun at Stoke Park where I endured 3.1 miles of "mummy, it hurts!" and "I can't do it, mummy!" I had to remind her it was her idea to do parkrun in the first place. One day I'll be able to run it on my own...
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

interesting re the environmental effects, Bike It

OO - probably 2 or 3 pounds heavier - was definitely leaner back in March when I was "flying" ** (very) relative term **  image

good luck tmrw, OO & the other coasters

also to Lorenzo jnr - surely sub-5 is on after the recent 1500m time 

good run/parenting balance MsE  image

fine 19, Gul - daresay as your post at 07:29, you were back before I started at 07:15  -   20 solo today - my usual crew all otherwise engaged  . . . .

• 22 for me early doors as I'm racing tomorrow afternoon. Parkrun was miles 15 - 18.1, because I couldn't get out of bed early enough to make it the last three!

• Lots of good long runs getting done on a Saturday: nice progression there Gul.

100th parkrun done gently today as 3000m track tomorrow.

• Happy Hundred PMJ! It was only my 65th. Which 3000m are you racing? I ask because I'm racing the Masters Inter Area Match and wondered if our paths might cross....

• Good luck to Speedy and PMJ tomorrow - after my experiences over the last few weeks, I've decided than 3/5000 on the track is definitely NOT my forte.

Younger Lorenzito managed a rather scary 4:51.6 for the mile today - not easy he was in the same race as a number of much faster u17s along with a pacemaker who took them round the first 800m in about 2:10 so he got dropped off the back but still managed a decent time in what turned out to be more of a time trial than a race. 

Great to watch Jenny Meadows and Shelayna Oskan-Clarke battle it out in their race.

Probably just a gentle run for me tomorrow morning. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    .... looking forward to seeing Poacher, TAR & OO on the beach tomorrow morning. The forecast is far from ideal - OO you might have to keep your top on this year.image
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

not sure if this counts as late Saturday or early Sunday, but must be first time I've posted before Gul - 
    just had to say big well done to junior Lorenzo - excellent miling  . . .

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Good work Jools - pretty impressive 10k. Nice prize too as that is practically a pair of shoes

Good to see Lorenzo in the prizes as well - impressive stuff by your son.

32 km / 20 miles here average 5:21 m/km which is around 8:35m/m. That's the kind of pace I should be running those kind of runs in. All very comfortable, just rather cold this morning.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - congrats on the prize. Fantastic mile by Lorenzito!
    MsE - promising that MsEtte1 still finished the parkrun, I presume; shows determination!
    Birch - nice solo 20 - and despite being a bit late setting off, I was back at 6:55. And impressive late / early posting!
    PMJ - well done on the ton up. Hope the 3k goes well.
    Speedy - best wishes for your race today too.
    Minni - all the best to you and the other Coastal runners today - hope the weather isn't too atrocious!
    Bike It - solid 20 miler - looking good.
    Just a little under three weeks till I'm off on holiday and trying to figure out what to do with my schedule. Currently done 2 full-on weeks and would usually do 3 before a cut-back. Might take an early cut-back, then 1 and a bit full-on before a fortnight of lower mileage on holiday? Other options are another full-on week, then nearly 4 cut-back weeks(!) or 2 more full-on weeks and still the best part of 3 weeks cut-back. Decisions, decisions.

• CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

Happy Hundred PMJ! It was only my 65th. Which 3000m are you racing? I ask because I'm racing the Masters Inter Area Match and wondered if our paths might cross....

I think I am at the same match: Tudor Grange at Solihull. Long time since we met at Chandos in 2012. I think they run men and women separately which is a shame as we both seem to be a handful of seconds under 11 minutes and it could help to have a pacer. The M35 race was won in 8:51 and the last was 9:48 so I will be lapped by most. The V35 is much more my style. Anyway, last year in the 35 group for me, 50 next time round.

Gul, the important thing is to listen to the body and err on the side of more recovery rather than less recovery.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Decent day out at the Coastal. The best part was seeing Minni, Poacher and TaR who all seemed happy with their runs. My time and placing was a bit down on what  I hoped for and about 40 secs slower than last year. This is a really spectacular run, and really friendly and well supported. Definately worth consideration even for a weekend trip.scores on the doors 1:28:57.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Good run by Joolska and an eye watering effort from Lorenzito.

Gul - undertrained is better than overtrained.

We had various thread encounters today at the fabulous Northumberland coastal Run, with several posters who had never met putting names to faces. I saw OO, OO's v speedy daughter & Minni at the start. OO then sped off to an excellent result on rough terrain in an increasingly strong headwind, while Minni & I puffed and wheezed round. We caught up with TAR a mile from the end and finished collectively in 1.51. A long way from my sub 1.30 heyday but who cares.  This race also has one a decent Tshirt that you can actually wear.  A great day out and recommended to anyone who wants to see just how big and golden the north east's beaches are.