Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done yesterday  Dean! Nice all-time ranking! Look forward to the report...and hope to hear that there is more to come!

Dachs:  if you did more 15s/miles, or even 8s, your times will soon drop. A lot of improvement can be made just by being more experienced at the distance.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

http://www.runjumpthrow.com/videos/15369

My race is called about 1hr 52mins in.  

Dachs thats a good time and report,  you don't train for md so it going to hard to find those extra secs a lap.  Sounds like plenty went on , with tumbles, bunching, come backs etc... A club mate of mine was pipped on the line?  Was that pc2?  there was an accident on the m6 so traffic was delayed by over 2 hrs so I missed getting to your race.

simon cheers for the support and a couple of good sessions , one of which included hurdling and Heineken image

my race, started with long delayed stuck in traffic for hours.  during the warm up I felt leggy and had pain in my calf.  coach ripped up my training plan as I haven't got close to a pb this summer so we have tried something different as training was going well but I was way off in races.  Plan today was discussed and I had my orders.  I wasn't to stray from them.  the race had a pacemaker to take us through 809 in 2.12 which would be on pb pace.  In the race is a local runner who has a 1.58 800 and 4.03 1500 and is also going to the worlds in my event.  I was focused on closing the gap between us And as confident as I am normally I need some payout as the race well has been dry recently.  And a direct race against a quality competitor, Les.

The race is probably best watched in the link above but gun goes and I tuck in behind les and the pace maker.  We all leave the rest of the race behind.  I feel fine going through lap in 66.  More of the same on lap 2. Just concentrating on the pace maker.  He drops out and Les makes a move, I hold about 5m back.  I'm not too worried but know I need to not drop any further.  So concentrate.  A shout from a team mate to relax was great advice. I try to close but he is strong and we hit the bell in 3.18/19.  He goes again and opens up maybe a 8/10m gap. Part of me is ok as he is faster but I'm not going down without a fight.  The stadium announcer has given up on me when he announces a big lead for les and how he has stretched me out.  I remember thinking I haven't made my move yet and I still have some left. I slowly eek into his lead and into last 150m I'm closing, fast.  I still haven't gone all in yet.  But i know he is strong 800 so he will go too.  On the video it's beautifully timed as the commentator says "what have either of these got that they haven't shown us". And on that I accelerate hard, I fly past and remember gritting my teeth. And thinking f**king go...all in. To be honest seeing the video I'm surprised at the effect.  Some teammates called It brutal.  I fly away taking over 20m out of a 1.58 guy.  

Crossing the line in 4.22.81.  A 4 sec pb and moves me up to 4th on the uk v40 all time list and only 0.6 off 3rd AT

hopefully things coming together now.  800 on Tuesday then bmaf next weekend.  Then worlds in less that month image

• Gutsy, gritty, brilliant and mainly deserved performance! Glad it's come together! Now for the extra peak for the worldsimage
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    WIll watch that later Dean, should be good.

For a bit of context, Les is the guy who destroyed my 20m lead in the last 200 of a vets league 3k a couple of weeks ago with an awesome kick, so for Dean to do that to him is damn impressive.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Cheers chaps.

just seen the results looks like I took 5 secs out of les in the final 100m.  Got to be happy with that.

also sticking that time in the pace calc it was 4.04 1500 pace but of course I ran 109m further So probably would be slightly quicker.  So that would have been a pb too.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

PP - great stuff, well done on the Pb.

Well done Dachs - that is a seriously impressive time for a distance runner.

Dean - simply amazing mate! Very well done indeed, you must be dead chuffed!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Nice track running all. Just watched the video, it's great that they film it. Well done Dean.

Nice running Dachs.

I did a sprint Tri today (750m swim, 20km bike 5km run). Usual slow swim coming out mid pack.

Started the bike and was flying past people when I got a fecking puncture. Took me 20 minutes to get going again as I had no tools and when I did the Co2 didn't work properly. Also the brake was now rubbing on the rim, with a semi inflated rear tyre it made it hard going. Needless to say I had the slowest bike leg in 50 minutes.

Hit the run and went hard but not stupid, not  much point now. Was into the wind  for the first 2.5k. Finished in 18:20, the second quickest run split of the day. I felt I could have gone sub 18 if needed but the motivation wasn't there considering I was fighting for 100th place.

I finished 22 minutes behind the overall winner and spent 20 minutes changing a tyre. Annoying to say the least.

• Dean Brilliant as always

Dachs fantastic as well speed is coming on great I think you have some great PB's that will be revised soon
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Awesome running Dean. Getting on the AT list is mightily impressive, as is national vests, going to the worlds and the rest! Really impressive.

Dachs, like others have said, nobodies in any doubt the shorter stuff will really benefit you in the long run. It's not as if you've had loads of seasons and sessions at MD. I'm shit scared of even doing a 400 rep ill be that shit at the min!

AG, even though it left you down the field, you've got to take some positives from that. Nice work.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

great work mile boys!

Dachs, any other week, we'd be fawning at your time, but with Dean doing that kind of behaviour you probably feel unsatisfied! And that's why you'll come back and smash it.

AG, I scan read your post, and I'm afraid the phrases that leapt out were "rubbing on the rim", "semi" and "hard going". On a proper read, it still sounds like a nice day's work.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Frustrating day out by the sound of it Andrew, but a pretty decent 5k at the end f that lot!

SG - how's the recovery going from last week? Any more ideas what the cause was?

Can't wait for Matt's race report image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I had a crack at the fell race Seb won last year. holme moss. Advertised as 15 mile when in reality it was 17.9. 3600ft of ascent just to add to the fun. image

I'd made the decision to do it as I knew that it was 2.5+ hours of running and thought it'd be good prep for my marathon.

I'd made the decision to just go off with the leaders as i had absolutely zero idea of the course as it was in the peak district. If they were too quick I'd have to drop back and hopefully still manage to get round. I noticed early doors that they were walking pretty much all the climbs which suited me as I felt really fresh in our group of 4, and we were well clear after a mile or two.

By mile 4 I knew I needed to 'go' and we were up on the moors and approaching some marshals. It got to the point where I was desperate so after passing the marshals I dropped to 4th and had to 'go' up on the wild moors. Luckily I always pack a bit of loo roll in my race in my bum bag and had it out ready so I didn't lose much ground.

I think I lost about a minute but they were still in view and instead of rushing to chase them I gradually pulled it back. That was after my foot his a rock and I went straight to the deck. Both knees into the path and its pretty damaging for confidence when descending afterwards as it knocks the stuffing out of you. You need to be fearless on the descents which is even more tricky when your legs are tiring.

I ended up falling another 3 times but they were on grassy descents and with tired legs. It's the first race I've had to go through head high bracken or plantations or whatever it was. All 4 of us were still together and I made the comment that it was like something out of Rambo. A climb up a rock face on all fours followed and then a long stretch back to the finish.

At this point I'd never led the race once, always 5-10 yards off the front though and I'd made the decision going round that if I was still in contention at the end on the last climb I'd then make a bid for it as I knew I was the strongest on the climbs and felt as If I had the edge on the flat/path sections.

After 13/14 mile we were whittled down to 2 and I sat in behind until 10 yards into the last climb. Lots of thick heather on the hill with just a thin trail through it. I nipped round and managed to pull clear. Had a look back after 20 secs or so and I was pulling clear. Then about a mile and a half to finish along a dirt track and road and was averaging 5.20-5.30 pace for the most of it which was pleasing after 17 mile.

Managed to win and as I had to get away the race organiser said I could take my trophy and pick a prize. I starts looking through some bits and bobs when he then says that the prize is a one weeks half board stay in the Pyrenees. Thinkit was a private letting. At the time I really didn't think I'd be able to make use of it with having a 2 year old and a missus who isn't interested in running which is essentially what the holiday is for. I'd have had to pay for flights plus accommodation for the extra person so I told him to raffle it off or hand it to so done else. Swapped it for a fleece and head torch. Haha.

The look on my missus' face when I told her. image I didn't think at the to e but she said why didn't I just take it then we could see if we could've worked something out. Haha. I never gave it a thought but the fleece is bloody comfy!image

Just the small matter of the Adidas Thunder Run next week. image
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, just watched the race. What a finish! Can't argue with that sort of pace at the end, and it must set you up very nicely indeed for the worlds.

It was PC2 who pipped your clubmates. It was your clubmate who was the youngster who fell, I believe.

Another cheeky race today, the Frome 10k. I was back there anyway to see my parents at quite short notice, and to visit my grandmother in hospital, and my Dad mentioned that it was the half marathon/10k weekend. These are pretty damn hilly races, so didn't think I could get away with the half, which I've done a couple of times, and still recover for upcoming races, but was tempted by the 10k, where the course record is 34:50ish, and which I was confident I could break without going all out, and get my long awaited first win of the year.

That was until I saw the entry list. Knew I couldn't win it without a huge effort, so decided to run at about 90% and just enjoy it.

Lined up in the second row behind a fat bloke. Standing next to me, also behind a fat bloke, is GB international Frank Tickner (fortunately doing the half). Said fat bloke had better have an electric start.

Start is a bit of a cavalry charge, with all kinds of randomers getting overexcited and haring off. I start off steadily and pick my way through for the first mile or two of flattish/ downhill that merely serves to highlight what is to come, i.e. a big old hill to the halfway point (then an extra short steep bit, just for giggles). I'm shafted by the time I get to the top of that (17:12 at 5k), and not really certain where I am in the race, cos there is a 5k/10k/half all starting together, but I'm in 2nd at best.

Round an estate, and I've recovered from the hill and back in cruising mode as the half/10k separate. I can see a 10k guy ahead, but it's a big margin, and I'm not going to muller myself giving chase. Steep downhill into town centre then the uphill drag to the finish line at the football ground, a few hundred metres down the road from where I grew up. Not sure what the time is, as my watch has run out of juice, but round the corner and cross in 34:27. See two blokes with 10k numbers standing there, clearly I'm 3rd. 

That's ok for a hilly 10k where, whilst I was more letting it flow however I felt than pushing it. I reckon the course is worth at least a minute, so pretty reasonable, and legs are sprightly afterwards, which was the main aim.  My prize was two crisp fivers, my first ever cash prize. Only a £2 net loss, yay! 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Excellent win Matt, despite falling and defecating all over the shop. Sounds pretty eventful, and a quality bit of race-craft to build a gap on the uphill. You're going to have to let your wife wear this fleece I think!

Got to love the misplaced confidence of a guy who turns down a week in the Pyrenees without checking with his wife first.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Matt - awesome.  As Dachs says a bit of everything in that race.  Not often you get chance to have a richard the third, fall over and still take the win.  Great stuff.  To be honest I would have chosen the Pyrenees image 

Andrew - bad luck on the puncture but there is plenty to be happy with.  Sounds like you could have been near the sharp end.

dachs - nice work on the 10k.  I'm in rest mode until tuesday, You obviously didn't push hard enough yesterday image

• Dean - Absolutely brilliant. Watched that on Vinco earlier before checking in on here. Did chuckle at the commentator's comment just before you 'went'. What a finish. Based on Les' time at the bell, I reckon that must have been a comfortably sub-63 last lap for you...much more sensible to save that sort of lap for the last lap rather than the first as at Harvey Hadden last summer I reckon!

If you can keep the momentum going after Lyon, and fancy a crack at shaving those 7/10ths off for No 3 on the AT list, Notts are hosting the equivalent meeting on Saturday 29th August this year, and BMAF are hosting an 'autumn classic' event which also includes a Mile on Saturday 19th September.

The 1500m looks set up for you next weekend in Brum - your mile time yesterday trumps the 1500 times submitted by the rest of the field. image Albeit a very distant also-ran and carrying some fitness issues, looks like I might have a shot at 5th in the 8 man field. Think I read that you might not be running the 800 on the Sunday? Looks like a good reason, but would be a shame, as the potential battle between you and Mike Toal looks like a belter if you run.

Well done to PP too on the 10k this week, saw the suitably gurnsome pics on Bookface this week. image Muddy from Skinny's thread is another runner in the 5000m next week, albeit in the V45s, but you could end up in the same race.

Look forward to catching up next weekend - have either of you seen a confirmed timetable yet incidentally? All I've seen is a provisional based on last year so far.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Dachs, Dean, my phone had complete died otherwise I'd have given her a ring first. First time I've won a race and felt like shit once I got home. image

Quads are in bits this morning.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one Dachs - does a cash prize make you a pro now then? Good to sneak in a cheeky sub 35 on a hilly course the day after another race image

Matt - quality stuff! All sorts of bits of you left all over the moors by the sound of it image

Absolutely brilliant to get your name on the trophy alongside the likes of fell running legends Jebby, Billy Bland, Holmesy and ..er...Seb!  what are the chances of having two forumites win Holme Moss? (Seb, come back and say hello by the way mate!).

Was that holiday with "Pyrenees Haven" by any chance? Bit of a difficult call on that one after that battering!

15M hilly LSS for me yesterday (Long Slow Shuffle!). Felt dire and left metatarsals feel like someone has been at them with a hammer! Bike today, in the drizzle AGAIN - how shite is the BBC weather forecast??

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, lucky you're here with me to add some realism to the thread...as anyone reading this would have a slightly warped sense of what is possible!

The milers we've covered, but then Matt slipping and pooping to some epic long distance win, Dachs casually stroking one off on a hilly course, a sub 35 i mean. Bigger question in what is presumably a fairly cock and biscuits type race, is who the heck are these chaps beating Dachs into third?!

I've had a week to reflect on last week's shock outcome. Can't help but feel a bit of missed opportunity. The 10k was won in what has to be the slowest time it's been won in. I'd have won it on my last 3 goes, and even feeling like i did Sunday I was still level with Rob in 3rd up to 5k, within a half marathon.

Obviously the bigger missed opportunity was the placing in the half. With a pal I've beaten at half this year and 5k 2 weeks ago coming 3rd, and a whole sh!tload of people I don't even have to check their pbs to know I should have beaten. All in a year with no Cooray, Downes, EOG etc...oh well, can't change circumstance, and am so glad I finished!

Last week was  2 full rest days, 4,4, 6&4, 6 and 8. A bit of a mental effort to keep them going, especially the 8. While paces aren't overly reduced, I can feel I'm warmer than I should be, sweating more than normal etc

It feels like someone has drained half my energy and fitness away, so goodness knows what's going on. Also feels like I've not got my full breathing range, not like the costochondritis, where you had to breathe very deep as it felt locked in the ribs, but just a bit more wheezy.

Had a blood test last Tue, should get results tomorrow when I go in for an ECG. Then An echo cardiogram or something later....

Am presuming it'll be some virus or similar thing, logic would say if it was heart related it'd have come up before or would have been some kind of pain in that area in the race.

Having said that, I did record 199/99 on the blood pressure test straight after the collapse, which if you check the charts, the first number especially is capital DANGER!

Again, having said that we never usually take blood pressure at the peak/end of races anyway. Most likely it'd be sky high anyway, so not quite the alarm it could be.

People who've spoken to me about it presume I was "Overdoing it". I'd say any overdoing it was in relation to how i was on the day, rather than on usual fitness. After all, HM should be 5.45-5.50, and I didn't break 6 once, and from midway it dropped off a cliff down to easy pace for the last 3miles.
    Have also had to sheepishly accept the "well dones" from non runners who just see 16th/420ish, and don't understand the situation. 

to conclude...i might be done for summer racing now...which is an arse as I had good plans to smash at least 3 or so more races.
    However, i'll settle for getting back to normal in time and not having to quit, which would be worst case scenario!!

everyone keep up the good work either way, and I'll erm...be back later this week hopefully with the "it was just a cold, i'm ok" good news, and some sentiments on better to be safe than sorry 

• Great run from Dean: luckily I only owe him champagne if he does the same to the all time half marathon rankings.

Dachs, that first will come sometime soon but you need to get your race head on: 90% of you is good but won't beat 100% of others.

Matt, quality dump on the run. The thing with prizes is not to tell the Missis what the options were (indeed don't mention options at all, there is no right option).

Did the Inter Area Masters match 3000m yesterday. The age groups are odd, so the first band is from 35 to 49 which means I was up against real youngsters with no chance. Only lapped once which was a plus and got an idea of the event for future years when I move up a band. Just outside 11 minutes which is slower than Watford but Watford was graded so a much better field in terms of pacing whereas yesterday was pretty much a solo run. Garmin set to auto-lap at a mile so I got two split times and  I did 5:57 and 5:55 pace for the two splits which is way more even than 5:44 and 5:54 I did at Watford.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bus - if you win money that makes you semi-professional. Fact. Especially if it comes in the form of used notes in an envelope.

Bloody hell, Dean.

SG - I think you should take a couple of weeks completely off. If you are, in fact, recovering from a virus (which is what they will tell you by process of elimination if/when the blood tests and ECG don't show anything), you will lose more fitness by prolonging the recovery period running when you're not up to it than you will just taking some time off, in my opinion. That is what I meant when I said I was 'lucky' to have sprained my ankle when a very similar thing happened to me; I was forced to take the three weeks off that I probably needed anyway.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Great run from Dean: luckily I only owe him champagne if he does the same to the all time half marathon rankings.

image i have yet to get clearance from the coach but my autumn /winter plan is likely to answer the question...what can i achieve if i up my mileage and go after some much longer race distances.

PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Matt, ..... The thing ..is not to tell the Missis what the options were (indeed don't mention options at all, there is no right option)...

Matt , thats great marital advice.  and not just regards prizes.

SG - if it was me i would take a complete rest from running.  no small jogs or a little looseners.  take 2 weeks completely off.  refresh and go again.

PMJ - Decent return on a solo 3000.  isnt it soon there is the watford thread catch up?

Bob - cheers, i dont think i can make the notts mile or the bmaf 800. but plan to do the 1500.  was tempted by the double (and agree the 800 would be a great race with mike and marc both in good form) but that would be 4 races in 8 days and all at full effort.  dont want to risk injury.  not seen the timetable but it rarely changes.

• OK - thanks, Dean. Early start on Saturday then!

• Great racing all - a knowing nod to Matt regarding having to go for a dump, me and my stomach aren't always best buddies when it come to running - I get a feeling he doesn't like it one bit!

Good 3000 PMJ, looking forward to Watford week after next, you doing it? (I'm on a roll meeting thread types now!)

Good work out Dachs, always the chance of Tickner turning up at any race in that vicinity. Pretty sure I did one of those 2k races in the early/mid 80's at Frome while my dad was doing the half

Steve - hope the test results give an indication of what was up - bit of rest a grand idea.

Nice suprisingly comfortable 15 over to Luton yesterday to watch the 10k and kick off the Berlin training. Deed and Kimpton trotted round, talking most of the way around the hilly course in 32.40 ish..easy eh? Makes you sick image

Bus - agree about the light rain. I bet the only rain in London today will be 7.45-8.15 when I was out running!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just had a read through of the race results and reports of late and can only come up with, 'meanwhile back on planet earth!'.image. They are that good!

Some of us aren't so fast around here, but reflected glory is good enough. It's great reading the reports from Dean et al. It becomes a 'yea, he's in our club situation'.

As for my own efforts. 2 months back I ran a route (10 miles) at a pace that seemed ok. No risks involved, not pushing it but noticing I was putting the brakes on coming down hill.

Then I got injured.

Yesterday I ran the same loop over 30 seconds/ mile faster. Was I pushing the pace? hard to say. But I was motivated to go faster, whereas before I wasn't.

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

Just had a read through of the race results and reports of late and can only come up with, 'meanwhile back on planet earth!'.image. T

Lots of fuss when Jalabert said “on another planet” which apparently means doped up to the eyeballs.

Simon, July 29th is a holiday for me so no 3000m at Watford. Hope to get one more in in September, either 9th or 23rd.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta for the advice people, today's run told me for certain just sacking it off for a bit is the answer. Not going to put any timescale on it, but ill have a few tests/get results, and wait until breathing feels more normal again before thinking about it.

In the meantime will enjoy slightly later sleeps and getting up at 8am each day image

Forgive me just rucking off for a bit now though, but don't worry, i'll be back to posting oodles of pony ever so soon

imageimageimageimageimage

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed SG, but chances are it is just a virus and nothing more. I'm not surprised you felt like you had no energy last week - I did as well after Wycombe, and I didn't have the same issues!

Take Lit's advice, at least for a week, then see how you feel. You've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'd echo everyone's sentiments. Rest up SG, recharge the batteries then get booked in for Leeds Abbeydash.image
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Quiet today?

Bike to work and back yesterday - 14.5M + 17.5M. Evening one was into a very strong head wind most of the way which, like the rain, the BBC had failed to forecast! Track Tuesday planned for today (if the metatarsal holds up). Not expecting much, but need to remind my legs what some sort of speed feels like!