Trail runs near to South London

Big apologies if this is already covered off, I've looked and looked and looked.

Basically I'd like to get out into the country for my Saturday and Sunday long runs of between 35 and 40ish miles.  I'm in Streatham and basically I'm a bit bored of tarmac.

I'm guessing the North Downs Way is the easiest place to get to, but somebody might have a better idea?

Comments

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Don't know if you could squeeze 40 miles out of it but Wimbledon Common/Richmond Park/Thames towpath and Bushy park are not far from you and are lovely places to run, you could link them all up with a bit of careful planning and minimal tarmac
  • What is the thames path like after Richmond? I know from battersea to richmond is a mixture of trail/concrete. Could run it to windsor and just hop on a train back. Otherwise as above Richmond park is the best place I've found within (my) running distance from Clapham that lets you feel outside the city.

• StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    It's mostly trail after Richmond to Kingston then cross Kingston Bridge and it's a bit of tarmac then trail to Hampton court, don't know after that. There's plenty of options for adding a few extra miles eg loops into Richmond park, Bushy park and Home park (behind Hampton court), all trail/grass.

There's also a big crossing at the A3 at Robin Hood gate for pedestrians/bikes/horses which makes it really easy to cross over between Wimbledon common and Richmond Park, I've done the half marathons there (Wim Common) some lovely trails for running on
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

I live by the  towpath at Kew/Chiswick and run on it most days. Very runnable pretty much all the way to Oxford. I often get a train to Windsor and run back the 33 miles at a comfortable pace (4.5 - 5 hrs) inc a drinks stop. have even got a train as far as Reading and ran back along the towpath (67 miles) for ultra training, but that took all day!

North downs also good for trail & small hills. Did it this morning actually. Train to Guildford then 25 miles to Merstham and train back. You can just as easily add 7 miles at the start by getting to Farnham. 

Another good one is to get the train to Wendover and run the Country 2 Capital route 40-43 miles back into West London. Half trail, half canal towpath. Easy journey home from Paddington or Brentford.    Richmond Park obviously a great facility too, especially if you go off piste and get a bit lost in the middle. 
  • Awesome, cheers for the tips. I will defo get myself over to Richmond Park one Sunday.

Today is Ride London though, which goes through Richmond Park and probably loads of other places. So I'm going to jog over to Clapham Junction and get myself lost somewhere between Windsor and here on the Thames Path! Sounds like a sweet run.
  • Yesterday I ran from Shepperton to Central London to meet my other half who was doing Ride100 - basically went from park to park (Bushy Park, Richmond Park, Wimbledon Common, Battersea Park, Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Green Park and St James Park) -it was great fun! Covered around 37 miles in total - I can send you the strava link if you're interested in the route!

North Downs Way is great too - and obviously more hills/views if you like that sort of thing! image

• If you're getting the train to Guildford you could also do the Downs link:

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/media/2203/downs_link_6_stage_route_2010.pdf

Fish and chips by the seaside and then train back home. 

• Dan A - which side of the river does the path go on if you're heading upstream after Hampton Court? Do you keep going on the Palace side or cross over the bridge and up the other side? I got a bit lost trying to find the Thames Path up there.

• Running Rodent wrote (see)

Dan A - which side of the river does the path go on if you're heading upstream after Hampton Court? Do you keep going on the Palace side or cross over the bridge and up the other side? I got a bit lost trying to find the Thames Path up there.

Just had to google upstream!  Anyway, I ran downstream I think (from Windsor to Barnes) and crossed to north side at Hampton Court bridge, then back south at Kingston upon Thames if that makes sense.

Can you see this? https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/852675144

• IGIT wrote (see)

Yesterday I ran from Shepperton to Central London to meet my other half who was doing Ride100 - basically went from park to park (Bushy Park, Richmond Park, Wimbledon Common, Battersea Park, Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Green Park and St James Park) -it was great fun! Covered around 37 miles in total - I can send you the strava link if you're interested in the route!

North Downs Way is great too - and obviously more hills/views if you like that sort of thing! image

Hey man, I got lost in Shepperton yesterday!  

Small world, but maybe not as we're on a forum about trail running.  It is a great run.  Did you follow the Thames Path as well?

• Miffles - yes I can, that's perfect, thanks. I can see where I went wrong last time. I know the Thames Path from the Barrier up to Hampton Court, and the bit before Oxford, but I must explore the bit in between.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

RR - as above. You have to cross to the south side between Hampton Ct and Walton Bridge. Then it's off the Thames along roads for a mile or so around Shepperton.  Google maps shows the easy route. 

• You could stay on the south side of the river from Walton Bridge to Weybridge, then get the ferry across to Shepperton.  Bit of a faff though for a pretty ordinary stretch of towpath.

• I did the Stour Valley Path 100k on Saturday, and it was a fantastic run.  Took the train to the start at Newmarket, via Cambridge, from Kings Cross.  Then in the evening, the train back from Manningtree to Liverpool Street.

• Vanguard Way is a good route. Starts at East Croydon station and links up with the North Downs Way after 10 miles. Mostly trail even in Croydon. Carries on for 66 miles to the sea...

Alternatively go from Woldingham station for a 5 mile loop which hooks up with the NDW with trail within 400 yards of the station.

• I did the Thames Path from Hampton Court to Datchet at the weekend - great run, enough scenery to keep it interesting, not too crowded. And I didn't even get lost in Shepperton image . OK, there was a moment with a field, and a gate, and a horse, but I more or less knew where I was. Thanks for the advice folks.

Miffles - you may have seen me at the SVP100. I was marshalling at the last checkpoint. Looked like a good day out.