Panarama - Allan Wells - Drugs

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

It will make some people's day if names come out. Only they will know why.

🙂

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Trial by internet. BURN HER! BURN THEM ALL!

Actually the problem with this latest report is not that some athletes may be cheating...but that it looks like it's been covered up.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Given we know one UK household name had 3 highly irregular readings and that these coincided with peaks in form (presumably then they had normal readings at other times) yes I'd be glad if the name came out.   I'd be disappointed if it was Radcliffe as like most distance runners in this country I followed her career quite closely but if it is her then I'd rather know than be kept in the dark.  

What I don't understand Ric is why apparently you would rather not know.   We had all this with cycling - keep quiet about it all and pretend it doesn't happen - all that does is make the situation worse.   I agree with 15W the main problem here is the apparent cover up - I can understand why someone would cheat if they believed the majority of their opponents were cheating - who knows I might be tempted myself in their position.   What I'm pretty certain of though is that if I were part of the governing body I wouldn't cover it up so I could avoid controversy and keep enjoying the benefits of these people vote themselves.  

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

That's right, I'd rather not know, but that doesn't mean I'm not prepared to do something about what 'happens today', because you can only change things in the present.

With cycling after festina the deal became 'We know it happens, just don't get caught' so it went on. That's because they didn't want to spoil the show as the public saw it. Subsequently it made things even worse.

Seems the IAAF has been caught out in a similar way. I guess they hoped the current way of drug testing was enough to deflect from their previous carelessness in dealing with contentious issues. Issues which they hoped would never see the light of day.

I don't need to know the 'names'. I'd gain nothing from the information. Can't use it. 

However, the people in charge of this mess know the names. And the people in charge are the one's who are directly affected. Basically they are stuffed.

🙂

• British swimmers are doing well.

• Just wait until someone thinks hang on - Cyclists and Runners did it - what about those bastions of society- Footballers ? Surely not....
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Footballers and other sports men may well be on it...but they don't just rely on pure fitness, they need other skills that cannot be gained by drugs (yet)...whereas runners and cyclists (and swimmers) just have to keep going.....

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

It's more or less nailed on that big European clubs have been involved in organised doping - names have come up in some of the cycling scandals.   How far it's affected British football I wouldn't know but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't also be involved.   

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Wasn't there some problem in Italy with ex footballers dropping down dead at a relatively early age?

🙂

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

This is a good read.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33789481

Hope Coe doesn't get the job. Bubka for president!

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Bubka looks s better choice, but would he sanction banning the Russians as a whole nation because of their state sponsored doping?
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah...good point...

• 15West - yes there is a lot of skill in football - but there's also a lot of skill in cycling - did you see them tearing down the Alps at 70mph and riding the cobbles too ?

Remember Spain winning the World Cup when their team was the strongest in the competition and didnt fatigue ? Remember the Fuentes blood doping clinic and how they destroyed all the samples. That's a bit peculiar....
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    The best people to put in charge of testing would be lance Armstrong, contador ??, Carl Lewis, Ben Johnson, Gatln, chambers and anyone else who has been very successful at it, then finally caught out. Only they know the best ways to catch someone and at which points in the season to have a go.

I'm not sure how you would sell that to the IAAF though.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

or Alan Wells maybe....or Seb Coe...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I reckon Broad must be some PEDs.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    WADA are now on the rampage and the IAAF are talking like they are in trouble. Well I never!
  • SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

The biggest scandal is that not all sports have the same testing regime; cycling has had the most thorough testing for years.

The result seems to be that cycling is seen as a 'dirty' sport, not much of a reward for their efforts to face up to the problem. 

Come on WADA, may the s**t storm commence!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

The London Marathon was won seven times in 12 years by athletes who have recorded suspicious blood scores, according to the Sunday Times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33836491

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the iaaf are handing over the files that it believes are in question. It looks like they know where the problems are and that they are not hAnding over everything in case they leak more problems.

Interesting that Some athletes are willing to publish their data and that others might not be willing to do the same, especially as the trial by media will focus on those not willing to show and prove they are clean.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Yes inevitably some people are going to assume that any amazing performances by athletes who don't publish their data are suspect.   I'm one of them.   

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I don't usually agree with such blunt opinions but I'll make an exception in this case.

It's much the same as the resistance to a national DNA database by the civil liberties outfit. If you've nothing to hide or don't intend murdering someone then why not?

Technically speaking that means I still have options.

🙂

• Now that people like Mo and Jo have put their data online its going to be fascinating to see who doesn't follow suit. Presumably the non-publishing will be led by she who can't be named but that will be a tad embarrassing when the Beijing BBC commentary starts up and she has to give us a story about why not. Personally I still think she is clean but I'd still like to see all the data and hear the explanations for it.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Who can't be named?

Funny about these results (test) nullifying the results of former athletes. Not are they not the athletes they once were, but it seems they never were the athletes they once were.

🙂

• The female GB athlete on the red list whose test value only has a 1/1000 chance of being natural and who threatened to sue the Sunday Times if they named her.

http://i.imgur.com/Tan791o.png

(allegedly a redacted version of her entry).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Paula Radcliffe you mean.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

or is it Voldemort?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I guess those who do drugs have a bit of a screw loose somewhere. To be so desperate to win that they resort to anything and damn the consequences.

Money is an obvious reason, but I imagine for most of us we don't realise exactly how much money. We're talking millions or large parts of millions. 

Usually money serves as some sort of shield against the demands the rest of the world places upon you, unless of course you are adjudged to have obtained that favour by unfair means. It's why we jail multi millionaire thieves.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not Radcliffe.

If it was. Why would she be commenting on the cheats like she is today on twitter?

Her physiology was proven to be one in a million at age 17.

🙂

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

She's been pretty quiet since the latest relavations.