Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Reasonable effort at the 10k today in 37:11, down on what I hoped for. Junior was also under par and 2 minutes back.

Anybody doing the GNR this year?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ooof. 11.02 for 3k, 5.28 for 1500 and a blistering 80s dead on lap 1 of the 4 X 400. Still, 2 4th places meant a fair few points so we may have clinched promotion: fingers crossed! Unsurprisingly aerobically fine, but legs mashed...
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice work Joolska, and you are very versatile. 400m is such a tough distance too.

Nice miles VT

Not nice non drinking BB - letting the side down

And pretty nice 10k by 00, surely better than "reasonable"

I sort-of trained with champions tonight...

/members/images/76130/Gallery/20150809_174048.jpg

The sweaty hotel gym from hell had been invaded by a load of fit young lads who turned out to be Setif FC from Algeria, the current African Champions League title holders and therefore the Barcelona of Africa.  They were only warming up for tonight's big match but it seemed imperative to keep turning the treadie up to go faster than them....eventually reached 16kph for a short stint....tragic gym envy, I wonder if they were impressed ?  (Answer: almost certainly not). Still an OK workout though.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Great work Jools - certainly a good variety of hard running there.

I'd be very happy with that 10km time OO

Yes PMJ - can't imagine 26.2 at that pace yet. P&D ramps up the MP miles to 10 then 12 and after all the other sessions and a taper it seems achievable as many of us have proven. Still I'm preparing for 10km but after that I've got 10.5 weeks to a marathon so I've got to slip in some of the key runs before I finish 10km training.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great effort Jools to back up the team.

Seems I picked up a 2nd V50 prize today, and junior 1st in her catagory. Cheered us up a little bit....My legs feel fine will be out for a longer run in the morning. When is your 10k bike it?

• Jools, if you were at Worcester then daughter #1 was also there running for BRAT so you raced her in the 4x400.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    My 10km is on 2nd September OO - it's a Wednesday evening roadrace
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Did 5 miles with out the watch yesterday and my legs feel shattered today. image

Very strange. Also did a couple of 5 milers last week, one of which was track intervals and no problems at all. Yesterday's route was dead flat. Maybe it's cumulative effect as I've only been running once or twice a week due to the bike ride.

Bought some moulded insoles for my trainers. The Asics GT2000 range have been a problem for my Achilles and calves since the range came out. My son works part-time in Sweatshop so he did the fitting for me. They are moulded to the exact shape of your feet. Could feel the improvement straight away. Hopefully can avoid calf injury in the next campaign.

Also thinking of doing the Beachy Head marathon as part of my base building preparation. Won't race it as the profile is a shocker!

GD

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

PMJ: let's use the term 'raced' loosely.  I was the slowest on lap 1 and slowest leg for my club!

5M plod at 8.41m/m this morning on heavy legs, although they did feel fractionally better at the end than the beginning!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    How much do sweatshop charge for those insoles G Dawg, and do they fit any shoe. Thinking of junior who gets a few foot problems.

I did 7 steady, felt annoying fresh. Taking part in the summer relays in Durham on Wednesday,, should be fun.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

OO - Paid £45 for them which includes the fitting, Only takes a few minutes. They reckon they're good for 1000 miles.

I wore my GT2000s to the shop and could feel my left foot turning in when walking. This was much improved after the insoles were fitted.

Just realised my tired legs may also be due to the crouching etc while doing lots of DIY yesterday. image

GD

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I am a tight arse G Dawg, I'd expect a pair of trainers for thatimage
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I hear ya OO. I put this purchase off for ages for the same reason. I'm hoping it's the cheaper option to buying many different types of trainers before finding a pair as good as the old GT21xx series.

I did try on a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire for size. they felt nice. Anyone gone from Asics to Mizuno?

GD

• Hi all - after a bit of advice.

looking to add 10mi to the plan this week by adding a 7mi run general aerobic to my tuesday tempo run to make it a double, 2 x 0.5mi repeats on my VO2 max session on Friday and 2mi to my LSR on Sunday.

Last week did 55mi, this would give me a 65mi week and following a hybrid of P&D up to 55 and 55+ plans

I feel like its not too big a step based on where I am but on paper its an 18% mileage increase and a step up in quality.                

• PJFrizzle, I don't think that one week like that would be too bad, so a 55 mile week followed by a 65 will be fine, but the real thing is how far up on base is this? If your base mileage is about 40 then 55 is a chunk on top of that and 65 another chunk on top of that chunk. If your base is 55, then 65 is OK for a week or 2 and then a recovery and then gradually move the base from 55 up to 65.

• Thanks mate, I don't think my base is consistently far up yet, there's probably ltitle value in another 7m general session so will focus on upping the quality a bit as. Need another few progressive weeks to build the mileage to a peak Before tapering.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I actually think it's a really logical idea G Dawg and I'm sure they need some fancy kit to make the moulds requiring investment- but even so it's too rich for me. I'm sure one day the manufacturers or another supply source with a much wider customer base than Sweat Shop will offer this at a cheaper price.  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hola!

OO I will be at GNR and I must enter the Jelly T - are you going there?

Well done Jools! image

Poacher have you been to the GP year about your injury????
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

No, bit far to go. Soon.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Just reading back. OO when I attended Newcastle physio a couple of years ago they suggested similar insoles that they moulded there. I can't remember the price though as I didn't get them.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Will sadly miss the jelly T this year Minni- it's one of my favourites though I hear they changed the course this year. Which leaves me with a hole- I feel I need another longer race before GNR but can't find anything suitable on the weekends when I'm free. Will certainly see you at GNR though with junior OO in tow....  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    The way she's running she may have you on tow...image

There's the Glendale show race on the Monday? Perfect prep for GNR!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

6 miles at 7.19 pace. Felt straight forward. may have gone quicker but was with a pal. The new insoles seem to have made a difference as had no pain but will reserve full judgement for a while.

GD

• A question about how to optimise LT runs:

... Yesterday 10m completed, avg HR was 153 which is 84% of max and avg pace was 7:04. Within the 10 there was 4 miles where I got HR above 160 c87% of max but still below the 90% target for an LT run.

Is there a massive difference in training at or just below LT level?  and to hit a 3:15 any tips on what % of total mileage in any week should be LT mileage.

Interested to hear some other mortals views on this!... 

• Glorious 2.5mile swim on monday night then last nights suffer fest was 1k easy, 4x1mile at 10K pace, 1k at MP off 400m recoveries. The MP section was blessed relief - it's all relative!
  • PJF, LT pace, I just use HMP and hope for the best. Current campaign is built around 5k, 10k, Hmp, MP repeats plus a LSR. No idea on what the ideal % (HR or volume wise) should be done at LT. but it is better to err on the side of caution. Injuries are the biggest barrier to my progress without question. The exact volume mix is a distant second.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

VTr - Excellent weekly mileage and I'm sure you will see great improvements

BikeIt - Great P&D MP run

PMJ - Good 12 mile running

Jools - So you run a 21 miler then 3 races the next day and say your in awe of my powers of recovery! imageTeehee. Brilliant running

Poacher - Nice tready gym performance.image

OO - Congrats on your prize and 37 minute 10k.

GD - Good nippy 6 miler and glad to read about no pain with your new insoles

Frizzle - I've know idea about LT running and heart rates etc. I just like to blast a half marathon race every few weeks instead.image

Be careful adding quality and quantity into your schedule together. I'd prefer to add one or the other at a time.

SJ - Nice interval session 

I ran my first ever track race last night. My schedule had me running 3 x 1 mile at 5k but seeing a athletics meeting put on just 2 miles from my home was too tempting. So I ran 6 miles easy in the morning then entered the 3000 m on the track.

20 men signed up and 10 women so they put the slowest 5 men with the women to run first. As I was the only man without a PB time I was with the women. I was glad as most of the PB times were sub 10 with the fastest being 8:22. Gulp.

I really enjoyed running around a track for the first time in my life feeling like a proper athlete.image I set my Garmin to record a lap by position but didn't look at it during the race. Looking back now I ran the first lap in 1:26 and was sitting in about 6th place. The next laps took 1:24, 1:23, 1:24, 1:23 and 1:23 so great pacing and with 600m to go I was in 5th place.

I pushed on a bit as the others ahead seemed to be coming back to me. I pass 3 within the next few hundred metres and was closing on the leading lady. I got to within about 5 m with 200 to go and then she shot off like a rocket.image I finished in 10:24 and was very pleased to discover that's 5:35 m/m pace. I've never run that pace with anything more than 400m intervals before! 

Next up is the Groomsport Half Marathon on Saturday before the Donegal Marathon the following weekend. Oh, and no I won't be taking it easy in half. image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Wicked skills, BB. Great track debut!

GD

• Great stuff BB. "Proper athlete!"
  • Cheers SJ & BB. BB does your taper always consist of ridic fast sessions and racing!