Options

Cyclist ruding on pavement runs down child

2»

Comments

• Options

I'm sure the parents were angry with themselves, as I would be in their position. It was still nobodies fault other than the cyclist though.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Blaming a child for running out and being hit by a cyclist on the pavement is like blaming a rape victim for attracting the attentions of a sex criminal.

At no point has the child done anything wrong and the parents are perfectly entitled to let their child wander out given that thither was already out there and dad not far behind. That is how you teach the child independence after all.

I'm not suggesting all cyclists are scum of course. This one however is pretty bad.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

The guy's a massive bellend and clearly the only person at fault.  Even when I'm running along a pavement, if it's a narrow one with just a few feet between parked cars on one side and terraced housing with tiny front gardens on the other, I proceed with caution.  I might *tut* occasionally if someone walks out and apparently gets in my way, but then I remind myself that it's a pavement, and people should reasonably expect to be able to walk on it without having to exercise the look-both-ways caution of stepping onto a road. Cycling on such a pavement is stupid. Cycling at speed on such a pavement - even if it was legal - is bellendtastic.

• Options
    Nayan I don't think it's a great idea for kids to run out onto the pavement anyway. It could have been a runner or pram going past too.

Or even worse if it ran into the road.

Not that this excused the nob on the pavement.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Of course you teach your kids to be aware of their surroundings, not run in the kitchen, carry scissors pointing down etc. But you don't have them tied to your apron strings and you want them to able to walk on a pavement without running onto the road for example. Still anyone (not just a child) is entitled to walk onto a pavement without getting flattened. The parents may well look back and thing - I wish I hadn't let the kid out of my pocket or whatever but still they havent done anything wrong here and neither has the kid.  

What if it was a blind person walking out of their gate? Or someone elderly?
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

In mitigation. If the cyclist is barely into his twenties, who's to say he hasn't been riding on pavements since he started school? maybe it's something he's always done.

No one is brought up with a timeline to become a responsible adult. It's something too many discover the hard way when the habits that were ok as a child suddenly become 'non do'.

🙂

• Options
    I'm not defending the nob on the bike. I think he did look young though ?

I just think that its a good idea to look where you are going - especially if you are elderly - be it onto the pavement that could have a runner coming past or a runaway car, or an angry bull or whatever.

Just like it'd be nice if people getting out of cars would check before they fling wide their doors. Its just basic common sense.

Obviously the little child was too young to realise this and the nob on the bike had no common sense either.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    That's the rub. The nob on the bike is 24- old enough to know better. The kid might be getting told to look around before you walk but it's unreasonable to blame that kid for anything. It's also unreasonable to bland the parents for a kid getting excited like that. It happens- we all know it does.
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    We are all different I guess. I believe that I am responsible for my child.

For most of the comments it seems that this all comes down to the same thing, what you believe to be mitigating circumstances.

One contrived situation for you to ponder... Who would be at fault if a 5 year old rides his/her bike out of the front gate and into a 90 year old who the falls over and breaks a hip that leads to almost certain death?

In that scenario I would suggest that you have 2 victims and one set of parents who are to blame.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Do you have a child or are you speaking hypothetically?

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    VDOT51 wrote (see)

For most of the comments it seems that this all comes down to the same thing, what you believe to be mitigating circumstances.

One contrived situation for you to ponder... Who would be at fault if a 5 year old rides his/her bike out of the front gate and into a 90 year old who the falls over and breaks a hip that leads to almost certain death?

In that scenario I would suggest that you have 2 victims and one set of parents who are to blame.

there isn't one law for kids and another for adults. You can't cycle on a pavement -in practice though nobody is going to prosecute a kid. Probably not even in this scnario

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I'd call it an extremely unfortunate freak accident. At least the hypothetical old duffer had a good innings.
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Nayan, imo the parents ought to be prosecuted in that contrived scenario. Again though, if the law isn't applied equally then it is a easily defended against.

Oh and nice PB on Sunday. Another benchmark within reach!

Phil, yeah but her poor old bedridden husband now has to go into a make believe nursing home and die of thirst.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Oh thanks. Only 2 sec off last time but a PB is a PB eh.

• Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭
    VDOT51 wrote (see)

Also, if I come out of my gate, don't look both ways and don't have my childs hand then I would blame myself if he fell over, bumped into a runner or got clipped by a bike. I am his carer. The buck stops with me. Sure I might want to knock Seven bells out of the other person but in reality it would be due to being angry with myself.

VDOT51 wrote (see)

What are you talking about man.

Kids are kids. We wont always be there holding there hands when its time to walk out the gate.

At least a cyclist ( in this case ) is an adult should of used a little common sense.

Cycling at that speed, at a place where it was likely to cause an accident is stupid and irresponsible.

End off.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cycling on a pavement near houses wasn't the best idea, cycling at pace was very ill advised.

But turning an unfortunate collision, into a "shout abuse and zoom off" situation is unbelievable.

I hope that little gimp has taken a lot of heat locally over this.

• Options

As far as children cycling on the pavement goes, the age of criminal responsibility is 10. So if a child under 10 cycles on the pavement then there's not much the police can do about it.

• Options

Yesterday I was shopping in a local town and saw a family with a dog cycling on the pavement, in the middle of the town centre with all the shoppers! Posh bikes and plenty of lycra on display.

All the gear and no idea, as they say.  No common sense but plenty of sense of entitlement.

Personally I think it's ok to ride on the pavements if you are not inconveniencing pedestrians (ie if there aren't any around, or if you get off and walk past them and then go on your way again once past them). It's much safer than taking your chance on the roads with the crazy drivers who think you have no right to be there. 

• Options

Just out of interest, cycling on pavements is permitted in Norway (Google-translated law) so long as it doesn't endanger pedestrians and one passes strictly speaking at walking speed. Because the pavement is generally also kept free of obstacles (to enable snowplughing) this generally works very well. I imagine the law is similar in Sweden and Denmark, Netherlands, etc.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

as a driver, I'm certainly happy to see cyclists on the pavements out the way.

but as a runner/walker, you don't want them anywhere near you.

I see all manner of numskull cyclists, no helmets, wearing headphones etc.

Worst one though, is this complete dunderhead who takes his dog for a ride, with the leash attached to the handlebar, while he keeps both hands separate from it.

When I see him and dog zooming round, I do wonder how they haven't caused or been in some kind of nasty. Or how the dog hasn't been hung if the cycle guy had to stop quickly.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    I was almost wiped out by a pedestrian today. I was on a treadmill.