The Lakesman 2016

Comments

• Two laps of the Keswick half then - simples!
  • Full details of bike and run routes will follow mid summer, I hope you will be reassured that every effort will be made to make the course quick and obstruction free (including tourists!).

• I'm signed up and really looking forward to it! This must be the most beautiful Iron Distance race in the country. Added benefit that it is a 10 minute drive from my house.

Despite all this, the biggest selling point is that it will be supporter friendly with lots of kids activities at Keswick to keep the little Tricoops busy and Mrs Tricoops sane. The only thing that kept them occupied at the Outlaw was feeding competitors with jelly babies. Obviously I didn't have one as that would be outside help and therefore illegal. image I just had the slurp of beer offered by a pirate supporter!

• Well over 200 entries for a 2016 race that isn't IM branded! the organisers are chuffed! No further posts on here but more info at www.thelakesman.com follow links to Facebook and Twitter. 

• glad its got a few entries.......sounds a good one  image

• Britrisky  relay ?  if like me arthroscopies are kinda your thingimage. I can swim and bike but not run.

• must be somebody up for a relay

• for me the main problems with a relay is the price.£300........I wouldnt spend £100 on a run or a swim or a bike ride......

when paying for the full event I'm not so worried

thats why i like the long course weekend where you can pick and choose your event and its all very reasonable

• absolutely, having just been super motivated by watching the alpe d'huez triathlon am keen to do both the swim and the bike ( same for the outlaw ). Makes it much more reasonable for me but leaves someone else with the same problem!

• Sorry, Citizen - I've only just caught up with this ... I have an entry for the full thing, but really not sure, now my arthroscopy has been postponed for the third time (damned insect bite this time image)

Really not sure - entered on a whim ... but I have work the next day ... maybe the doc will look at my knee and ground me forever ... maybe 'we have the technology, we can rebuild her' ... but even then I haven't done a lot of training at all this year - a couple of 70 milers on the bike, and, well Parkruns ... 

Can't decide ... but I have until December and I can still get a bit of entry fee back ...

• just see how it goes, I go back to work in mid October after just over 4 months off with mine, this includes some annual leave but it has been a long process. Perhaps you could convert it to a relay if you can't get enough of your money back , or sell it to someone on here! As for the training , start next year, it's a lifetime away,  or is that where I've been going wrongimage?

• Hi Dave, have you moved yet?

Too much going on this year leading towards Tenby in September but I really would like to do this in 2017image

• Yep, moved in on New Years Eve... Been swimming in Derwentwater several times, including yesterday 

• Awesome, glad you finally got there image and only every so slightly jealous!

• You don't see my posts on Facebook then ? 

Swim in Derwentwater then do bacon and sausage sarnies on a barbie was yesterday's photo !

Currently sat out our front looking down the valley and its 25 degrees 

• friend of mine is making this race his first long distance, if only the weather could stay like this for the Summer instead of the last 2 days being the Summer...

• Dave I don't drive "Face-Twitter" very well mate, need a lesson! 

But that sounds like a proper Pirate Lifestyle you have thereimage I hope you are now looking down the lake with a glass of Rum in your hand!

• Dave, a group of us meet at Derwent at 6:30 every Friday night. Swim followed by chippie. You should come and join us. Was a bit choppy last night mind.

• Been in most weeks, and Keswick Tri swim Tuesdays and Sundays...

I thought the weather was gorgeous on Friday night, Granted I'm in the French Alps !!!

See you in a month

• Enjoy the Alps! See you bright and early on 19th June!

• I thought I would give a report on my race at the Lakesman and I view on the event as it was the first time it was run. 

Starting with the swim, I hoped to go under 1hr 20minutes and ended up doing 1:20. As it is such a large lake there was very little fisticuffs so it was a smooth swim. I did take a wrong turn, or more accurately, missed a turn but that didn't cost me much time. Overall, quite happy with the swim and was then met with a tunnel of support on the exit. Quick 4 minute transition and off on the bike..

I started fast on the bike, and settled at a steady 20mph. The first 20 miles was flat followed by a lumpy 15 miles into the wind. Then there is a short out and back which was good to see where my mates were. The highlight of the bike was a friend on the back of her husbands motorbike shouting at me through a megaphone each time she passed!

• The coast road, with a following wind for 30 miles was nice and quick followed by a 16 mile loop and a return toward Keswick through some villages which was lumpy and into the wind which was tough. Finally made it to the transition in 5hrs 55 minutes which was 25 minutes faster than my best so chuffed but worried how it would effect the run. Transition was 2 minutes as the help got my bag, emptied and told me to leave the bike stuff and she would put them in the bag. Felt a bit guilty as I hadn't stopped for a wee, just done it on the bike! Sorry!

The run was 5 laps including a section of running up a road 4 times. I started off a bit quick but settled into 9 and a half minute miles. Had a rough patch on lap 2 but but switched to coke and crisps, which helped. I did a 4hr 16 minute marathon to finish in 11hr 40. I had beaten my best swim by 2 minutes, best bike by 24 minutes and best run by 33 minutes. Even the transitions were my best. 4 years ago I said I would one day like to break 12 hours and I have now done it, so couldn't be happier.

• great report, once I've loaded the washing machine I might get finger to keyboard 

Great result tho 

• Review of The Lakesman.

To put it into context, I can only compare to the Outlaw which I have done twice.

Build up and registration. I started off impressed with the Faceboof information, Newspaper delivered and free hoody as I was one of the first 100 to sign up. However, as the event approached, there was a lack of detail on the athletes briefing. At the registration, there was no briefing and confusion amongst the staff when asked questions. On the day itself, there was no briefing on the swim course which made it a bit of a guessing game about the route.

The swim itself, was 100 times better than the Outlaw. Beautiful clear water, stunning scenery and very little bumping and barging. Carpeted path to transition.

Transition was straight forward and simple and relatively quick so gets a tick.

Bike route is not as flat as the Outlaw but much more interesting and great scenery. I personally preferred it. It was still very quick. Feed stations were well spread but, due to the lack of info, it was hard to know the order of what was there. In fact, it was different at each station.

Transition again, you rack your own bike which wasn't an issue and a volunteer helped you so a good quick transition.

Run route was nice in places, but monotonous in others. 5 laps meant the support was incredible. Feed stations were really good but big gaps between 2 and a short gap for the other.

• Relatively flat and even the rain didn't dampen the spirit. The feed stations were very well stocked with a greater range of things than the Outlaw.

Other things of note were the transition bags could have been bigger and the parking information could be improved. Paying in instalments was good. The food at the end was incredible. Freshly cooked wide range of meals and included local sticky toffee pudding with cream or a cheeseboard. Massage was good too.

Overall, if The Lakesman improved its communication I think it is a top event and would recommend to everyone. Swim is nicer, bike route nicer and the run route also nicer.

Most importantly, the atmosphere was every bit as good as The Outlaw. Add a pirate feed station to it, it would be unbeatable.