Glandular fever

After 6 weeks out from running not knowing whats wrong, I finally have the diagnosis of Glandular fever!! 6 weeks ago I was running as least 3 times a week and the gym the same. I miss running so much. I just wondered if anyone had any advice on when I should start back...I'm meant to be running a half in 3 weeks, I'm guessing thats out? feeling very impatient but equally as tired.  

Comments

• I had glandular fever, at the time was a county hockey player and ran regularly.... I spent 2 months in bed, and another 2 months feeling rough...

decided to go get back into running..... And promptly put myself back in bed...

it was nearly a year before I was back to full fitness 

• As Dave says, push yourself and you'll probably make things worse. You might be able to defer a place in your race to next year.

• Thanks guys I just tired that and it's a no go but it'll be the first race I haven't been able to do so I'm lucky there I guess. Just very fed up. I've not been completely bed ridden with it only a week off work it's the tiredness thats getting me. 

• If you use the search function I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of previous threads on gf with lots of good advice. So few people on here now that you may not get much of a response. Having said that, chances are it will be just plenty of rest and don't try to come back too soon. Hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks Peter I will do that image 

• Plenty of future races to do give this one a miss and concentrate on getting better and resting. Hope you feel better soon. Take heed of Dave's advice.

• Hi Rachel, I'll tell you my story about Glandular fever so you can see how serious it can be.

I've been running and competing in triathlons for quite a few years now, last year I did an Ironman and various other races and was fitter than i'd ever been. During the winter i was feeling a bit more run down than normal and training felt like it was a struggle, after a few colds I got a really bad fever over xmas and I haven't recovered since.

After a few trips to the doctor I found out that I have Glandular fever, my doctor told me it can last more than a year! I've gone from being able to run marathons and extreme triathlons to not even being able to run round my garden without making myself feeling ill.

You really need to rest and recover properly because its a horrible illness, not only does it make you feel run down it can make you feel really miserable and depressed. Glandular fever has also been linked to more serious conditions like chronic fatigue syndrome (ME).

If you google the illness you'll find plenty of information to guide you, if i were in your position i'd wait to you are feeling 100% and then start training really gently, a few weeks off might save you months or even years in the longrun.