Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

SG - don't forget I'm from Devon ....so most of you lot are all northern monkeys to meimage

yep...apologies read the messages but forgot to reply.  Appreciated all your thoughts...accident was basically me following an Audi q5, they went through the T junction, I looked to my right to see if it was clear for me .... then smash!  all I know is both airbags went off, my arm got burnt from the airbags going off...which caused my right arm to let go off the wheel and punch the windscreen, causing it to crack.  I'm healing well and unmarked bar the burns on my arm and a few marks on my knuckles.   My son saw the windscreen and how my hand was healing quickly and now thinks I'm wolverine!   I'm assuming the other emergency stopped , for god knows what reason, and I smashed into them.  No one in the other car injured.  

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday for tomorrow Phil!

Good too see you knocking out the 10s Dean. Are you doing the Abbeydash?

Despite being a bit of a swat and never in trouble school i then prob wasted most of my mid-late teens to early 20s under the influence of something. Haha.

Wasn't much I didn't take once I'd left school, barred from all the town centre pubs/bars for 12 months when I was 18 for fighting and then pretty much spent evenings and weekends with mates in a house getting up to no good.

Probably very lucky to not end up inside during them days and even luckier to meet the missus when I did, although she was warned to stay well away from me at the time.

Couldn't be more different nowadays. Far easier life.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

had missed that Dean, maybe you've adopted northern straight talking tendencies then image

But obviously, on a serious note, sounds a good result from what could have happened. For you anyway! But cars can be replaced, less important.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt, sounds amazing that you're such a red hot runner now!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

"away day" with the new department at work tomorrow somewhere in London.

Slightly nervous, even though it looks a fairly lowkey one compared to some over the years. ie the, 6 hours of being lectured at by suits on high level stuff you don't really understand, or even worse, the hours and hours of "workshops", on erm...stuff you don't really understand.

Tomorrow's a 9.30 start, hour of "Ice break" stuff...we all gave an "Interesting" fact about ourselves, for the rest to guess. I'm starting to regret not just going for "I run a little", or some random stats, as what seemed a funny one at the time, ie being in a "band" at 10, recording albums (which i still have) and doing "gigs" now looks like it screams for abuse image

Hour of actual work...throwing buzzwords around in workshops. "share best practice" is a phrase I will guarantee i'll use, and then most worryingly, some lah did dah French restaurant at 1.30 or so.

Bearing in mind I found a Chinese place night out a heck of a strain for our team's leavers about 3months ago, I expect this'll be some hard work image

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Was always very sensible in school and did pretty well in regards to grades but probably thought the reins were off once I'd left got an apprenticeship and I sort of had nobody to answer too.

Sounds a pretty bad smash that Dean! Lucky to get away with no really serious injuries
  • Options

Happy Birthday tomorrow Phil! image

Good to hear you're on the mend Dean. Nice runs all.

Matt - Maybe you took some sort of performance enhancing cocktail back in your bad lad days.

SG - My HM PB is 6.01 pace so I think 6 is a fair HMP pace. I remember Macmillan suggesting 6:45-7:30 ish for easy pace. 

• Options

Blimey Dean.

Stevie G wrote (see)

Maybe he honed his skillz running from the Law.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

McMillan does go severe on easy pace! 45sec difference between easy and half has got to be too little.

I've done a few 3x2 and 2x3 HMP sessions, but only 1x4, and I remember it being after a fair progressive block of steady, MP, MP/HMP mix etc. Either way you sound in a good place, even more so if you just cruised straight in at that level and handled it. I'd wager you won't be 6ing as your HMP post half. It's gainz time.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Blimey Dean.

Stevie G wrote (see)

Maybe he honed his skillz running from the Law.

dibs on the z image

Mad skillz is my favourite, as in I have mad skillz.

tip. Never ever ever shorten this to MS.

never.

• Options

Dean - with the knuckle wounds from punching out a window and burns up the other arm you could get your son to tell his mates you got them fighting off Smaug image

SG - thought about texting you for today's run as I was at home, but couldn't guarantee the time. Will let you know when I'm next working at home, as it would be good to do one before you move (and get stupidly quick again!).

Matt - I spent much of my late teens and early 20s blowing out my first uni course in one of those houses. Fun while it lasted, but certainly not sustainable in anyway! Thank god for our other halves putting us on the straight and narrow!

• Options

matt - no abbeydash for me...decided after the summer i was going to train without pressure on laps/splits for a few months.  and if i was going for abbeydash i would aim for a 31.xx so i would have to be a slave to my splits to get that.

• Options

Iron, UKA changes on the day, so Sat I will do parkrun as a V50 and my first proper race outing will be Tadley 10 on Oct 18th. First V50 last year was 68:07 so basically if Ric or PeteM don't turn up I have a shot at a prize.

For me, the whole university, drinking and results thing sorted itself out fairly easily. Compared to most I am a lightweight (both literally and metaphorically) so I used to drink too much, feel ill, be ill and then be fine the next day. Exams were done by intense sessions in the last week or so. First year was the worst / best: an all day punting trip meant head to toe sunburn and the only thing I could do without any pain was sit at a desk and revise.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Tadley 10 looks interesting image.

To be honest, if I ran this event it would be with the proviso that I finished behind PMJ.

To those who feel that any race is given away if not taken out at 100% eyeballs, there's the issue of choice. Most of the time now I choose not to half kill myself with an effort which feels strangely nasty in a way that wasn't once the case.

Maybe this is the next stage of decline, 'not racing outside the comfort zone'.

I feel safer that way.

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

an all day punting trip meant head to toe sunburn and the only thing I could do without any pain was sit at a desk and revise.

Questions:

Did you go to university in the 1780s?

How can one spend all day punting?

Were you punting naked?

• Options

Bar a loincloth - I've seen the daguerreotypes!

I would imagine the all day punting on the Cam was actually occasionally putting the punt in the river, but the rest of the time spent drinking Pimms....

Bit of a squelchy one this morning, but a lovely sunrise!

Happy 50th Philip

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    Happy 50th PMJ!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Fair enough.  We didn't do much punting at Swansea University, so you'll forgive my ignorance.

Happy birthday PMJ.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

At least you all got the right punting! I thought it was the sort I did in my university days in York doing down the Knavesmire (racecourse) and wondered why on earth that should lead to head to toe sunburnimage

Congrats on the half century Philip and rest assured I'll leave Tadley to you (got Fleet 10k the following week and you'd beat me anyway if you were at or near your Wokingham Half level!).

• Options
    Dachs wrote (see)
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

an all day punting trip meant head to toe sunburn and the only thing I could do without any pain was sit at a desk and revise.

Questions:

Did you go to university in the 1780s?

How can one spend all day punting?

Were you punting naked?

So this may be a long story ... It all starts off at Cambridge where I was a member of CUSAGC. The exact nature of the club is of no great concern but suffice to say it was made up of hearty outdoor types and pretty much if it was done in an Enid Blyton Famous Five or Secret Seven story, or Arthur Ransome novel etc. we did it.

One committee role in the club was quartermaster and responsibilities included maintenance of a club punt and its sinking fund. (A punt is a quite expensive piece of kit, about the same as a second hand car, but lasts for many years. With each student being in Cambridge for typically 3 years and a punt lasting 10 or more, each generation had to save some money so when a new one was needed, it was not beholden on the current generation to cover the costs for previous and upcoming generations of students.)

So the gist of all that, is that I belonged to a club which had access to a private punt and there was an interest in using that punt as much as possible and not just a few hours a week, as there was a nominal charge to use the put which went into the sinking fund. In my first year, the quartermaster decided a good way to use the punt was to have a punt expedition to see how far upstream we could get. By the way, the punt was called Delirium Tremens (DT for short) and it is now part of the decoration in a Cambridge pub.

The Cam had a fierce reputation for water borne diseases so the trip was planned late in term after the 3rd years had taken their exams. Early one summer morning, we set off form Cambridge and headed upstream. The first mile or so is through Cambridge and along the backs, then up the rollers and a few more miles through the meadows to Grantchester which is the upper limit of normal trips as there is a low road bridge.

Put enough people in a punt and it sits low in the water, and you can pass under such, so we carried on. Next was a weir and that meant man handling the punt up (and it is not a light thing) so by mid-morning we were all soaked and down to swimming costumes and so it carried on. I think by the end of the day we got about 15 miles upstream before the flow was too low to carry n further, and then we had to do it all in reverse to get back again.

• Options
    That reminds me of school, we would sneak out in the middle of the night to go on an adventure, they were called creeps. On one occasion we "borrowed" a punt and set off down the river only to discover it had a rather large hole in the bottom. We abandoned ship and I am not sure what happened to it, probably at the bottom of the Thames somewhere.
  • Options

And no doubt several generations of graduates are still paying the sinking fund for that sinking Andrew image

Good work Philip - they do weigh a bloody ton!

Only thing we ever got to put into the river from my school was a shopping trolley....

• Options

Happy birthday PMJ!

My equivalent story regarding trying to get further on water than the normal range involved setting out on a pedalo from Torremolinos on the Costa del Sol to North Africa with my mate Kev, but we were thwarted by an angry Spanish lifeguard on a jetski.  I believe sunburn was also experienced on this journey.

Re: drugs, if you want to put on a stupid amount of weight in your late '20s I can strongly recommend a regular skunk habit.  image

• Options

...or lots of Beer PP..I remember anytime I used to pop round my mates houses even after the first term at Staffs Poly (Dec 90) their parents would look at me and just wonder what happened! Certainly my core drinking years were 90-95, probably my finest moment was sitting opposite the Merry Tippler (Dean will remember it...now sadly demolished) drinking a bottle of Thunderbird wrapped in a brown paper bag...good times..

Still had the odd run up the canal in the last couple of years, but being in the same academic year at Staffs as John Mayock didn't rub off on me image

Hey ho...11 miler tonight from work up to Harrow and Wealdstone station. Not done it for ages and not the most 'picture-skew' run. But need a longer run and testing out the Berlin sock/trainer combo. Couple of easier days then the southern relays at Aldershot.

Have a good day Phil! image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

You at the Southerns too Simon?  On the main relay, or just the old man's one like PP? image

I shall be there, but probably turning up about halfway through the codger's race, like last year when I encountered PP doing his leg on the way from the car, and yelled something about gurning, much to the bafflement of other spectators.  Leg 2 for me, after TippTop has hopefully given us a storming start.

Hopefully the hornets will have gone.  Last year, they attacked a clubmate, who had to then do both a V40 and senior leg looking like John Merrick.

• Options
    Dachs - was that you I passed by Bulmershe yesterday, sporting a bright yellow jacket? Looked like a decent runner trotting down to Palmer Park maybe?
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yep, that was me. I didn't look quite as sprightly on the way back.

• Options
    Happy 50th Phil welcome to a very strong Age group ????
  • Options

Dachs - Yes in the main race, our only vets team are the V50's and a V60 team. The V50's won last year so they are going for that again. My V40 team mates have been travelling/moved away/underthethumbed sadly

Luckily been given first leg, which is great but might not bode well for the team, as usually our fastest goes first, there's usually 2 or 3 faster. Although my stomach still a bit dicky after last night..the train gets in at just after 12, so will be there to watch half of the vets races.

..Yes, bit of a disaster last night..left at 5.10pm to run 11.6 miles to catch the 6.34 at Harrow & Weadlstone. However a combination of traffic, heavy legs, bad stomach (2 pub stops on route) only got me to H&W for the 7.04 train. Not a great confidence booster for Berlin!

• Options

Hopefully just one of those little hiccups Simon..

Track for me today. As I may be racing Sunday I thought I'd keep the reps down, but try to make it a bit pacey (relatively!). So, 2M warm up, then 4 x 800m with 400m jog rec - bit windy as always, and came out as 2:44, 2:45, 2:47, 2:45. All OK, until the last 3/4M warm down on the way back when and occasional niggle in my left quad turned to full on pain! Painful to walk on after too. hey ho, just have to see what happens I guess....