Options

Is it unlucky to wear a t-shirt before the event?

I'm running Nottingham marathon at the end of September. Unusually (in my experience) they have sent out the commemorative shirt a month before the event. Was heading out for my club session so slipped it on and went. Does anyone think I'm jinxing myself by doing that? I know there are some superstitious souls out there.

btw, I won't have it that it's bad from to wear a shirt you haven't earned when the event has yet to occur. If I don't end up running (perhaps due to being struck by lightning), then I'll dispose of the shirt in a humane and dignified way.

Comments

• Options
    Nothing to do with superstition, there's no such thing as luck, good, bad or indifferent, just stuff happens.

But, never wear the t shirt if you haven't done the run! Whether you wear it before is just you're choice, but after, if no finish, think I'd do the decent thing, as you say,image
  • Options
    Only wear the shirt when you have earned it.
  • Options
  • Options

Mind you, I have a couple of items of running wear that you get for not getting a place in the London Marathon... What do I do with those? They don't say 'I didn't do it' (except to those people who see me who know...)

• Options

Its all in your head!!! Wear what you want... personally would feel a bit of a prat wearing a shirt for a race that hasn't been ran.  Its a bit like football/ liverpool fans singing songs about winning the league and letting it slip in one of the final games.  I have however ran in a nike run to the beat shirt on a training run a week before the race to make sure it was okay, everyone had to wear the official race shirt for the event.

• Options
    NaderNader ✭✭✭

I've also got the shirt for Nottingham before the race. Decided not to wear it until after the race as I'd feel silly wearing a shirt for a race I've not yet run. That said, if I was going to race in it I'd want to test it out first in a short run.

Slightly separate subject regarding the shirt itself - I'm a little concerned that the printing on it can be felt on the inside and might make it uncomfortable/sweaty on long runs - did you find that Samoff or am I concerning myself over nothing?!

• Options

If you are going to/must wear the shirt during the race, shouldn't you wear it on a couple of long runs first, just to check that there's nothing nasty lurking?

• Options
    I'd never wear the event tee for the event - cos you haven't earned it until you've run the race. But maybe that's just me and my superstition.
  • Options

Arrgghhh.

I also have the t-shirt. Had to think carefully before getting it out of the bag and certainly not dared to try it on yet. Wish they wouldn`t do it like that and also wish the garment wasn`t the same for the half as for the full. I don`t consider myself particularly superstitious but I got injured traing for my last mara and was a DNS.

• Options
    Personally I think tat you buy the tshirt as part of the race fee so it is yours to do with as you wish. Unless of course it is one of those dickie shirts that says 'finisher' on it. If I got one of those I'd just take it on a run instead of khazi roll.
  • Options

I got a "finisher" shirt in advance for a race that I didn't start. 

I wore the shirt of shame inside out until I'd completed the race the following year. Then I wore it with the word "finisher" crossed out with permanent marker.

• Options

the only time i bought an ironman cycling top in the expo before a race was the one I DNF'd in......

although it didnt say finisher I could not bring myself to wear it for 2 years until I had gone back and conquered the race

• Options

Nader: Yes. The print is quite heavy. I have a long sleeved one and I have to say also that the sleeves are really baggy and flap around all over the place. I wouldn't recommend it as a race-day shirt at all. 

I'll be turning up in a tried and tested Lakeland Trails shirt that I really did earn (and then some).

I had a few confused conversations with clubmates along the lines of "Oh, you ran Nottingham. How did you get on ... oh hang on ... ". So far, though, the bad juju has yet to catch up with me. I tweak the very buttocks of fate.

• Options
    samoff wrote (see)

I tweak the very buttocks of fate.

There's a t-shirt right there!

• Options
    Or a sexual harassment case.
  • Options

It's entirely consensual. Me and fate go way back.

• Options

Well, I can only conclude that wearing the shirt early is actually lucky. Logistically, this race could not have gone better. I didn't really know where I was going but somehow found my way to the best car-park, right next to the start. Then I nipped through a barrier thinking it was the way to the start area and found myself 'backstage' and face to face with the only portaloo in the district without a 400m long queue. 

• Options

They should only ever give the race shirts out at the end of a race.