Sunday 27th September 2016

Morning.

Lyrics - You always wanted a lover

Lots of races today but is it only Oliver and I racing from the DTT?

Hope you have a good one and surprise yourself with your time Oliver. I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

One of those 'why did I think this was a good idea' mornings for me but I'm sure I'll brighten up as the day does. I suspect it may be quite late before I get to report back.

What:                  Ely Cathedral to Jesus Green and back (Monster Ultra)

Why:                   I'm wondering that too

Last hard:           Trying not to think how far it is/ long it will take

Last rest:             26/9

Yesterday's lyrics - Long Gone by Bryan Adams

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Morning, best of luck LMH at Ely and good luck to anybody else who may be racing. image

What: 26.2 Miles.
    Why: Schedule. image
    Last Hard: Thursday before last.
    Last Rest: Yesterday.
    Lyrics: Nope...  As per usual.

Have a good day everybody.image

Have a good day. image
  • What: short run

why: on-call

last hard: Monday

last rest: Sunday

lyrics: no

go well and enjoy, Oliver and LM.H

a good game (and result) last night WP. When is your next race?

• Best of luck LMH and Oliver.

Gorgeous day here. It's the Berlin marathon today and I think they always have perfect weather.

What: 12miles with sone MP

Why: confidence boost needed

Last hard: yesterday's stitch

Last rest: 26/8

Lyrics: no

Run went ok. Unfortunately something popped in my left calf. No pain but I can feel it when I run and also when I walk image hope it's nothing to worry about.
  • Lovely morning here too. 5 miles D&D to take me over the 900 for 2015.

Hope calf makes a quick recovery Chicksta

• Morning...and a lovely one here also!

Lyrics: no

By now LMH, OL and RFJ should be enjoying their ultra/marathon/half marathons! Look forward to the reports!

What: will be an easy run

Why: in case yesterday's race took more out of me than I thought!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning,

Good luck Oliver and LMH at least it is starting to warm up

OH: Nice runimage

Oh yes excellent resultimage Rugby is the sport of Walesimage

My next race is Sunday Cardiff half Marathon this is the race I have been training for all summer .Going to stay over night which will be strange as Alun not coming so I shall be billy no matesimage but will mean I can go to bed early to be well rested. The only problem is going on train as last time I came down with virus !

Chick: Hope your calf is okay???

What: rest day

Why: Race day next Sunday

Last hard: last Sunday

Lyrics: No

last time had to switch heating on: Today!!

Have a great Sunday and look forward to the race reports as they filter inimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Alehouse : well done on race yesterday and the fame of your face on a mugimage

How is Achilles?

Mine has been niggly all week since 10k so will have to watch that I do not do many 10k's.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Legs seem fine, WP (says he finding some wood to touch!)...and hope Chick's are too!

And hope Wabo survives her return to training today!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning,

Good luck Oliver and LMH at least it is starting to warm up

OH: Nice runimage

Oh yes excellent resultimage Rugby is the sport of Walesimage

My next race is Sunday Cardiff half Marathon this is the race I have been training for all summer .Going to stay over night which will be strange as Alun not coming so I shall be billy no matesimage but will mean I can go to bed early to be well rested. The only problem is going on train as last time I came down with virus !

Chick: Hope your calf is okay???

What: rest day

Why: Race day next Sunday

Last hard: last Sunday

Lyrics: No

last time had to switch heating on: Today!!

Have a great Sunday and look forward to the race reports as they filter inimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • afternoon all,

• What: S. It wasn't long and it was no distance, but it certainly was slow.
    • Why: old and fat
    • Last Hard: today
    • Last Rest: Yesterday

Have a good one; especially LMH and Oliver.

• Do we get to see a photo of the mug(shot!) AH?

• Sorry about above double post having laptop problems and my ad blocker has stopped working.Wasted 2 hours of my life sorting it all out!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Afternoon!

OH: have been trying to send mug photo! And as yet have failed!

What: a gentle 30 minutes, just over 5k. Legs were OK so did more than planned. Half and half in terms of on/off road.

Why: it is a lovely summer's day!

What step was that Rocky?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Good Afternoon,

and indeed it is good image, so here we gone with one of my reports (dont think I have done one for a while.

Solent Half (New Forest),

First of all, this is just a lovely race, in a wonderful setting that takes in Exbury and Lepe (coatal road), its not flat but not hilly either, just mildly playful image the first half in essance is down and the second half is up. My plan was to run at 7:15's, I have not raced a half for close on 22 months, I have done other halfs but for fun.... so I wanted to get inside 95 mins.....

1) 7:08 - mass start on the grass and trying to find a pace that works
    2) 7:05 - the crowd settles and start running with people I know and feeling good, but resist the urge to run faster
    3) 7:05 - Oh I like this, relaxed effort, and overtake one team mate and catch up with two others
    4) 7:10 - working well with other two team mates, one of whom has done a 7m warm up (mara trg), but he pulls away at the water stop
    5) 7:02 - Post water and now pulled away from one team mate, whilst other has gone out of sight..... still with a small group of 4-5, two of whom I know well and were wanting same times, 1st gel had also been taken and felt the benifit...
    6) 7:03 - Heading towards the coast so down a tad, feeling strong and find myself in no mans land working by myself as had pulled away from the group (had I pulled out to much too quick)?
    7) 6:58 - Oh I like this, Im cooking here and in cruise control, go through half way in 46:30, and now in sight of 4th lady (a club mate)
    8) 7:13 - a bit of up and downs before hitting the coast and the wind, so still happy, but starting to feel it now..... aware am being closed back in by group I left two miles back or so...
    9) 7:20 - The first hill so to speak, the drag up from the coast, the chasing group has got me but not passed, take the opportunity to tuck in and take my second gel.
    10) 7:11 - Gel has an immediate effect and I start to fly on the undulations and pull back away from the group and start picking off runners, about 5 in this mile... and eventually catch 4th lady and team mate
    11) 7:27 - I am delighted with this mile despite the time, as this has a killer hill in it that I work well off the top of it (as was over 8mm going up it) again moving easily through the runners again 5 maybe 6 fall by the way side.....
    12) 7:11 - the most boring part of the course as you can see fawley Oil plant and the road is a straight drag.... but carry on pushing and rewarded with a good mile, only 2-3 runners this mile I am able to pass
    13) 7:14 - 1 to go and I start to suffer for the first time, there is a short up and down just before the 13m marker and I lose two places, one to a faster runner and the other to a guy I had just passed, legs have gone for a walk..... as i start the jelly leg walk / run
    13.13) 0.47 this last bit hurt on the thickish grass, managed to somehow hold off the sprinter behind me and get across the line.... totally gone and spent.....

86th from 352, 1:33:54, so well within my target and happy as was still able to push on the harder 2nd halp with less than a minute positive split.....

This is a good result for me for where I am at at present, but 10 mins off PB pace from 3 years ago, I want to get back to that time over the next two years... that is the plan and it started today with a line in the sand... next half is 15/11/15 at Gosport.

Take care

• Good news Alehouse.

Hope it's nothing serious chicksta.

What a lovely warm day. Even standing around in shorts and t-shirt at 0745hrs I wasn't cold but there was an atmospheric mist rising from the fens. Must have been a few late entries taken for the ultra as there were 60 odd people at the start in the beautiful surroundings of Ely Cathedral and as the clock struck eight we were off. First mile a bit twisty turny and downhill. I knew this would not be fun on the way back and was also worried that I may not find my way. We had a couple of miles along the river then some tarmac path and then onto country roads before heading off through the fens on mainly good trails. After a couple of miles I settled into running with R, her first ultra but she is a 3.03 marathon runner. We were ticking along at just over 7.30 min/miles which was faster than I'd expected but felt comfortable enough so I went with it. At around 8 miles we were joined by a guy who said that his plan had been 7.30's then push on if it felt comfortable. He moved ahead of us and R went with him but I decided to run my own race. R dropped off the back of the guy after a mile or so and was running about 100m in front of me. I thought about trying to catch her and felt that I could probably do so relatively comfortably but then I decided that whilst it would be very nice to win it would be much better to enjoy my race and be happy with my run so I stayed where I was and hoped that she'd come back to me later. We had a few stiles and kissing gates and a field with a bull in it, maybe two - three miles of quite rough track through the grass in total then over a road and back onto cycle path by the river - with quite a lot of rowing coaches on bikes yelling at rowers on the river and a heron that rather than flying off as I neared him walked towards me! Must have been all of a foot away from me as I ran past. A lovely family of swans and cygnets in one of the cuttings and a couple of boats of rowers (well, yoofs messing about on the river) who provided some encouragement 'you're catching her'. The lead man came back past me after 2.28 of running - not sure of his finish time but expect it was faster than last year when he did 4.45The turnaround came before I was expecting so I knew the course wasn't going to be 42 miles but 41 something. R was still 1-200m ahead of me at this point and third lady (last years winner) was maybe 500m behind me and obviously having a cracking run as she'd won in 6.11. I just kept bimbling on, the path was getting quite busy, ultra runners on the out leg, walkers, coaches, cyclists, dog walkers but we all co existed very comfortably. I was gradually catching R and it must have been around 24 miles that I did so, she stayed on my shoulder for about half a mile or so then just dropped about 50m back. Over the next few miles my legs started to hurt in a way they hadn't done at Boston with my left quad in particular being quite sore, the varied terrain I guess. I counted down to the aid station at the marathon turn around which seemed to come quite quickly and it was nice then to have people to focus on and chase. I caught and passed a few of the men who had been in front and at the odd point where I could see behind me noticed that R seemed to be dropping further back. I passed a few marathon runners, including one I knew but didn't know would be here which was nice. It was a very warm day, much more so than forecast. I had picked up a water bottle at the turnaround but it had a screw cap so had been put back down. I don't like to carry a bottle anyway and there were no bins that I saw on the route at all. With about seven miles to go I'd just about finished the water in my flask and had got through quite a bit of the coke I had in the other. I decided that I needed to stop and top my water up at the last aid station as I still h

• had about seven miles to go, it was hot and I was thirsty. I also decided to take my third gel here (I'd also had a few pieces of sweet). stopping to top up my flask also gave me the opportunity to empty the stone that had been annoying me out of my shoe! I had no idea how far R or the other lady where behind me and knew that I was slowing (though I never got as slow as I did at Boston) but just decided that I could only do what I could do. I focussed on each runner as I saw them up the road and gradually reeled them in, it definitely helped to have these targets and the fear factor of not knowing who was where behind me kept me honest. At last I got back to the river front in Ely that I knew, busy with tourists who weren't looking where they were going by now. Remembered to turn left at the bandstand then cross the road and run through the park but then I was lost. I hadn't seen a runner in front for a while and I didn't know whether to follow the signs for the Cathedral at this point or for cycle path 11 (which we had been following). I decided to go for the Cathedral after a bit of dithering but fortunately my trusty Garmin gave me an 'off course' warning within about ten seconds (Mark had entered the route in it) so I turned round and followed the cycle path signs instead. Turned a corner and could see some people and tents but didn't know where the finish was. Mark was there shouting something and I'm like 'where do I go, where do I go'? Through the flags was the answer so I did - finishing in 5.21.33, 3rd overall and 1st woman. It was only a couple of minutes later that second lady arrived - last year's winner who had taken 50 minutes off her previous time! I won £100! A nice glass trophy (well nicer than the disembodied legs one for sure) and a bag of profile protein powders which actually look quite interesting.

Sorry - long post!

Course was lovely, weather was great, organisation was good. Mark enjoyed his run in the half marathon and I'm about to soak in the bath, hope some alcohol soothes my sore throat (have an incredibly busy week at work this week) and decide whether to have a Chinese takeaway or go out for an Indian tonight image

• Well done RFJ.

• Brilliant effort RFJ...and even better LMH!! Great reports to match the great running.
  • RFJ: Great racing and report well doneimage

LMH: Great racing well done for listening to how you wanted to play the race out and enjoy the takeaway and prizesimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done LMH, sounds like you deserve the bath and alcohol and take away, well done on 1st Lady and 3rd overall.

• awesome stuff from RFJ and LMH; I remember the solent half when it was the hardly-a-half image better name I fink. And I think I may marry LMH after all image

• Great reports LM.H and RFJ, sounds as if you both enjoyed your respective races.

No 1 LM.H image

lazy day for me after this morning's short run image

• Hello everybody, back in t'north from Sunny Notts. image

Well done to RFJ and LMH on their respective runs, and congratulations to LMH coming third overall and firs lady, fantastic. image

My marathon went well: my official time was under 3.20, I have a feeling it was 3.19:45.
    The time on my watch was 3.13:43.53 so managed sub 3.15, think I'll have to have a go at gunning sub 3 hours next time; for now it's coffee and rest. image  Will do a proper report tomorrow, right after my sudoku. image

I have also entered the Great South Run with a couple of friends at the end of October, so that is yet another race to look forward to, think I may have the racing bug.

Hope y'all had a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Excellent, OL, and well deserved! Consistently consistent and progressive training! Take it easy for a few days! Looking forward to the report...and the official chip time!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done OL (did they do chip timing - as your chip time will count as a sub 3:15) excellent running well done

• Evening All, 
    RFJ - congrats on 300 and well done with the HM
    Don - decent time for a crocked 20 miler yesterday!
    Blisters - good work on the xc bling
    Ale - hope the dinner went well
    Chick - hope the calf is nothing serious
    LmH - well done on a super run, enjoy the rehydration/ refuelling
    OL - super perfromance, that schedule clearly worked!

Busy w/e for me: yesterday was visit to Southampton Solent Uni for eldest (not hugely impressed), then back to take youngest to day 1 of club swimming champs.
    Today , well 8 or 9 hours timekeeping/ stroke judging at day 2 of swim champs. Youngest picked up a few PBs and some medals, I opted to run home, to at least get some running done. 8.7 miles in 67 minutes.
    Must be bedtime soon...

• Dustin:  dinner was good...sat with the former RW Doctor, and was talking with swimmers James Hickman, Graham Smith and David Davies,  the latter being the main speaker. Decent swimming from your youngest! 

One mug: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c63nsztn73hh0md/ATT_1443386945750_DSC_0018.JPG?dl=0

• Nice mug (one not to drop and break)