Struggling to keep heart rate down

I've only just started running having never ever run before. Done a fair bit of reading on here and it seems as if training to a heart rate is advised so, for the last 4 weeks I've been going out 3-4 times a week for 30mins, walking/running whilst trying to keep my HR down below 141, all the while following a coach to 5k program. I don't know my absolute max HR so 141 may be wrong however, at my age (46) and with Asthma, if I were to follow the 180 rule, even 141 would be way to high and, here is the problem. Even at a stupidly low pace of 16min/mile my heart rate quickly hits and often exceeds 141, let alone the 124 or thereabouts recommended by the 180 rule.

So, should I continue running to around 141 or, shall I ignore HR and push for a quicker pace ? If I stick with the HR approach, how long before I see improvement in my pace for the same HR ?

Comments

• Why 141?

To run at a specific HR you need to establish as true to the max as possible.

Look up the several ways you can do this. Do not follow the 180 rule at all..

I run to HR and it took me a few weeks to settle into it. I started by running between 70-75% at all times with no speed work or trying to run faster, so slowing down up hills and speeding up down them. I then built miles on top of that running longer at the same HR.

For you just starting out you need a plan that builds up properly (10% per week) and have rest days / easy weeks. Once you hit say 15-20 MPW hold that for a few weeks then progress things to 25-30 and so on so forth.. 

I've gone from 30 upto 70 MPW since July and controlling my HR I am much fitter but also avoiding stressing my body

As a guide:

Aerobic running is between 70-80% of max HR 

Recovery 60-70%

I'd 100% recommend Hr training but also running no higher than 75% for long periods of time for now ..

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • As above. You need to know wha your max is otherwise you are just picking a number out of the thin air, which is probably about as accurate as using the 180 180 rule, which is actually crap.

Scotts 70-75% is about right for easy running so you should heed that advice once you know your real max.
  • I think you need to step back and just complete the C25K first. When you can run for 30 mins comfortably then think about HR training because for the first 10 mins of running your HR will be all over the place anyway, leaving only 20 mins for you to truly control.

And as the others have said you really do need to find your max.

• I suggest that heart rate is not all over the place for the first 10 mins. It is chest straps that take 10 mins to get themselves a decent reading. That does not happen with optical sensors. My scosche rhythm+ shows a fairly sharp rise to about 5bpm over or below expected hr in the first minute as I go from walking to running and then it levels off just below expected hr vs pace and then gradually comes up to where it will sit for the rest of the run.

Hr strap issues could actually be the OPs problem so I would think running by feel as suggested by supercat is probably a good idea.
  • A good Polar strap propertly wetted under the cold water tap works fine straight out the door. The only time I get problems are if its very cold and windy and it dries out or I bend down (say to tie shoelaces, so always put trainers on first). Don't wait for it to work off sweat.

• If you've just started C-2-5 then in all honesty I'd just enjoy running and do what the coaches say. I'd firstly just enjoy running.

There's plenty of time for all of the gizmos, but fundamently enjoy it!

Like the others have said HRM training is one way to go. I mix up sessions and use one all of the time, but mainly I use it to try to keep my rate down to under 70% for long slow distances (136max in my case for 70%), and yes - it feels really slow.     But that's just for one of my sessions.

Going back to the original point, I've been running for 15 years (and ran spasmodically on and off for years before that) and it took me 2-3 before I got a HRM. I just ENJOY it and so should you.

Starting at 46 is no problem but take you time and don't go for 'quick glories'.

Get an HRM if you want one but don't feel costrained by it - which can happen.

Enjoy !

• Well it's pointless running to a percentage of a figure that you've guessed at.

It's like setting your accurate atomic clock off the time taken from a sundial.

Forget about the actual hr reading for a while.

Run at a pace you can chat at.

If you can't chat - it's too fast.

Once you've mastered that you can look at the hrm to see what the figure is that you were looking at.

Running is easier than you think.
  • Since you’re just starting out, right now, I wouldn’t concern yourself with attempting to maintain a constant heart rate of 141bpm, as you’ll only leave yourself disappointed by not being able to achieve it. 

The ability to maintain a constant heart rate during aerobic exercise, for example, relies upon a level of conditioning, something that can only be achieved through training at different intensities. 

Put simply, by training at different intensities, as your fitness improves, your body will be become more adept at processing oxygen, largely due to the increases in strength and efficiency of your cardiovascular and muscular systems.

Those respective increases will, in time, lead to a reduction in both your resting and exercising heart rates, allowing you to sustain your running pace for longer, as there’s less of a demand for oxygen. 

However, you have to be patient, since cardiovascular fitness/endurance is not something that is accumulated overnight; it’s something that needs to be developed.

As others have stated, based upon where you currently find yourself, embrace the challenge that the C25K presents, as it’ll provide you with the foundation on which to build. 

• I think the op is lost
  • Actually that depends on what you are doing the Maffetone method doesn't matter what your max heart rate is as far as I'm aware. image

but if you are going on percentage of max then of course you need to get your max first. image

judt be patient and stick with it, you don't get awards for running fast in training image just chill and relax, if you are going to try something new, then you need to stick with it for a couple of months realistically.

if you are lucky the changes can be quick, at other times it takes longer to kick in.

• You are struggling so much because you aren't that fit... So the solution is just keep going until it gets easy... so it's hard to do... Big deal get over your pride and keep plodding along and be patient you are presumably in it for the long haul? So be patient. 

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Maff is as bad as using the 220-age formula to guess your max. It is another approximation that is close ish for half of s runners.

It is probably more accurate to run an all out 5k and multiply your average pace in seconds by 1.5 and use that pace for all easy running.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    I think the op is lost

Probably lost his smart phone and has been forced into an 'appless' existence.

🙂

• I have been running ten years and tried heart rate training a few years ago.....wasn't for me as it kept on measuring over 200 when racing and got me worried....my resting heart rate has never come down either...it's still around 60... So I will just go on perceived effort.....nice and slow for training...and full out for races

• Thanks guys for all the replies. Just been madly busy, aka no time to come back image Sounds like for the moment I shouldn't worry about HR and just take it slow and build up. Already things are a little easier but then new aches and pains come along. Sure that's just part of the course.

thanks again