Options

Falling over whilst running! Anyone else?

So in the last twelve months on three occasions i've fallen over whilst running - on what would appear to be a seemingly flat, smooth surface! I've just done it again and skidded along the pavement on my knee and elbow image

Usually just grazes and surface wounds, but this time I think i've given my knee a right old bump as its pretty swollen and i can't fully bend it - hoping once the swelling goes down it should be ok!

Does anyone else fall over when running? If i think about it it is normally when i'm tired so perhaps i drag my feet?  

Worried i've done a number on my knee but hoping swelling will subside! 

Comments

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Do your shoes fit ok?
  • Options

I regard it as a bit of an occupational hazard.  The last few times I've been able to identify the culprits- tree roots, unevenness in the pavement or foreign objects on the footpath.  I've got a very low recovery stride (which gets worse when tired).

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Do you have narcolepsy? Falling asleep briefly might explain itimage

Without being sexist, Are you female? My Mrs has fallen over loads of times when just walking along. It looked like a Miranda impression. It tended to be when she was mentally multi-tasking. My advice to her was 'Perhaps paying attention to what you are f*****g doing and stop thinking about fluffy rabbits might f*****g help. It hasn't happened since that chat.
  • Options
    Im outraged!

Ha no im not...had similar conversation with my husband.

Id just started my run today was 1/4 mile in and was pondering my route. And also passing my old student halls and reminiscing... its a possibility i need to concentrate a bit more hmmm.

Nayan not sure if that tongue in cheek or not but actually might get new trainers as been having lots of niggly issues this last 12 mnths and now i look back its since i bought them hmmmm...

Currently icing my giant knee ouch!
  • Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

You are not alone. I was helped to my feet again by a little old lady at a bustop. I tend to go through phases where in just a few months I fall over a few times and then can go a year or two without....

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    image well I hope my comments help you accept your husbands advice. I have fallen over once while not looking where I put my foot going up a kerb. Luckily I was not hurt but my pride was dented and I completely roasted myself every time I thought of it. People I was passing must have thought I had Tourette's.
  • Options

I've tripped over tree roots a couple of times. Once was in a race when I was distracted by the size of the woman in front's bottom, so it was not only my own fault, but deserved. The second time was when I was doing mile intervals and I was going pretty fast. Took a chunk of skin off my elbow that time.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Cal, I grazed my elbow but he commando roll eased the impact a lot. I wasn't going fast though. Not sure I'd have faired so well dong Mike repeats.

I also thought it was just me who was distracted by other runnersimage
  • Options

Serial faller-over. Low knee lift. My local parkrun has lots of tree roots and, thankfully, is often muddy, which makes for a softer landing. The worst fall of all on that route has been a 70-something male runner, who managed to break his collar bone - not very pleasant.

• Options
    ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

There's another thread about this here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/have-you-ever-tripped-while-out-running/175208.html

You ain't alone in being gravitationally challenged. I fell again on sunday whilst trying to mentally calculate how many weeks it might take me to get up to marathon distance. The answer is infinite if I don't learn how to multitask or simply try & concentrate on what I'm doing. Oooh...look! Squirrel!............

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I thought there was another thread about this, I think I even posted my fall image
  • Options

There was.

Mike repeats eh? I've met a few Mikes and I wouldn't want to repeat any of 'em.image

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Not even a magic one?
  • Options
    I was just looking back through my old posts and spotted this one... update: turned out i was 6 weeks pregnant ha ha!
  • Options
    I was about to cross a road on a run and at last second I decided an oncoming car was too close so changed mind and fell headlong in the process. In the summer I was taking my top off during a run and fell badly doing that.