Monday 12th October 2015

Morning.

Lyrics - If there's doubt and you're cold

Nice back to back racing (and cake eating) Dustin

Glad you retrieved your kit OH and how lovely of you to do it in such a nice way. Glad Els and Ruth had good runs.

What:           short easy run
Why:            recovery
Last hard:     running scared in front
Last rest:      10/10

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• What: train journey home

why: just

last hard: my first DNF yesterday

last rest: Saturday

lyrics: no idea

• Morning!

Lyrics: no

LMH: so what is the plan next? I was serious about a few easy weeks and then revising that 10k time! Will you be doing Brass Monkey or a similar half early in the new year?

And as I was saying, you have come a long way over the past year! Well done! And unrecognisable from the person who first posted a decade ago!

OH: that wasn't a DNF...it was a "not allowed to finish"! Sounds a tough and frustrating day at the office, although had to smile at the kit bag incident!

Dustin: very wise keeping something in the bank for the second day. Day two sounds like the sort of cross country that I would enjoy!

What: unsure as yet

Why: have to see how the day pans out! There will be at least a couple of ks covered. Peak flow quite low again this morning: 380. Yesterday got up to the dizzy heights of 440.

Back later.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning team
    LmH - hope the legs aren't too heavy this morning but I'd agree with Ale, take a few easy weeks, even if the long runs are 'bimbly pace' they still linger in the legs
    OH - again ale is correct , not a DNF a NATF
    Ale - hope you get the ks done, looks to be another bright day so....
    what - hope to get out for a slow, easy 4 or 5 later
    why - legs heavy, committee meeting tonight
    last rest - 9 days
    last hard - xc double
    lyric - think so

Collected eldest daughter from Woking last night having spent the weekend at Nottingham Uni (that's where her b/f is) - hopefully that motivates her to ge the grades she needs to go next year. Last open day visit this weekend (Plymouth), so avoid the A303, you know it's going to be chaotic....

• Legs aren't too bad at all this morning Dustin, hamstrings a little tight still but nothing to worry about and an easy four miles have helped.

Not so great on the peak flow Alehouse, would have expected the steroids to have kicked in by now. I actually had my silly asthma cough during the race yesterday, was woken by it in the night and it happened again at the end of my run this morning, not sure I want to check my peak flow.......

Race wise I have the Weston super Mare half on the 1st November and Newark marathon on the 28th. There is a new 10k in Loughborough on the 22nd November which I thought might be quite good as I'd be tapering then anyway. Given yesterday's time I'm wondering if (with the usual provisos about injury/illness etc) it might be realistic to aim for a sub 3.10 at VLM next year - though as I do no speed work and don't run to pace in races this is a bit of a moot point as I'll just end up seeing what happens on the day as usual image

• Afternoon, once again well done to LMH and OH. image

What: Easy 60 mins. with a friend.
    Why: Keeping it easy and enjoy company/post-run coffee.
    Last Hard: Not really sure, probably still 27/9.
    Last Rest: Friday.
    Lyrics: Nope.
    Yesterday's Lyrics: Marillion - Heart of Lothian.

Got the Great South Run number through the post today, not long to wait.

Have a good day everybody. image

Have a good day. image
  • Afternoon!

What: easy 60 minutes. Without a friend.

Why: no friends available. Tram to Old Trafford to renew cricket membership and book test tickets for next summer, then largely off-road run to return. Kept it very easy, and stopped a few times to stretch and to ensure that I was not tempted to pick up the pace. Kms in the legs without impacting on my chest.

LMH:  re steroids, I find, unfortunately it often takes two courses to sort me out.
    Sounds a good plan re races that are coming up! I think your aim for VLM is more than reasonable (subject to illness/injury of course!). I was thinking about your pacing whilst running today: when I first started running there were no such things as stopwatches, never mind Garmins/HRMs. You do develop an innate sense of the right pace for the right distance, I believe. Have never known you run so many races in such a short period of time: these will develop an even better idea of pace. And don't get disheartened if you have a "bad" race amongst those three: I always used to tell runners to expect one good race out of three when not very fit; one "bad" race out of three when fit!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I've never been able to run to a target pace Alehouse and if I had done so I don't think I would have achieved the time I did at VLM or yesterday as I'd have limited myself early on and not been able to make up the difference in the latter stages . Apart from a slow mile 12 yesterday which I'm pretty convinced was a combination of the route and residual tiredness, I don't tend to fade horrendously and have yet to 'blow up' so I think my instinctive pacing is quite good. It's funny because I thought that you would advocate pacing to a time. I have never raced like this, Ely, WsM and the 10k were all unplanned though and yesterday was the first running of the race, I wouldn't have entered/travelled for it but with it being on my doorstep it felt rude not to support it. Mark and I have discussed Brass and it will probably be on our agenda - assuming entries ever open and we get in. Hope you don't need a second course of steroids. Really should get my PF meter out and see if my asthma is being a bit of an issue.

• No, I am very much in the "run to feel" camp, although I think it is wise to back that up by looking at the watch. For me, and when coaching, there are target paces to be met in training, though, and these support the ability to measure one's pace. For you and your longer distances speed will be less essential: your speed will naturally develop through strength, and strength gained in particular from running off road, and with a few hills thrown in. And that last hard mile (or three)!

Target paces can throw up all sorts of issues! Panic because of going awry. Still being fresh at the end, etc! I'm with you!

On the track, above a mile,  I never used to pay much attention to times: track is usually about racing so you just get stuck in! Or not! 

• Funny what you guys say about pacing - the two times I ran my best races I ran naked. Guess I should trust my inbuilt Garmin more than the one on my wrist image

I'm coughing a bit too although I'm using my steroid inhaler. I blame the change in weather - suddenly it's zero degrees in the morning. Shiver ....

What: 8 miles easy
    Why: still on the recovery road
    Last hard: reigning things in
    Last rest 6/10
    Lyrics: no

• Yes, Chick:  the more experienced one becomes as a runner the more one can trust the inbuilt pacing machine!

Pretty cold here this morning, but bright. Decided to leave my run until it was a bit warmer...by which time it was cloudy and the run started in drizzle. Sun has just come out again...which means it will be dark soon!

• Afternoon

What: Nowt

Why: lost my running window due to bad night sleep

Last hard: the above

Lyrics: No

I was dissapointed no to run but will just shuffle my rest days this week as from tomorrow have 9 days to please  myselfimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I think that learning to listen to your body, and understanding what it's really saying, is the most important thing because when it comes down to it it doesn't matter what your plan is, if your body isn't capable of doing it on the day it isn't happening.

I really cannot run as fast in training as I do when racing, never have been able to.

chicksta - I'm on a permanent steroid inhaler (symbicort) but have been having a bit of a silly annoying cough overnight for a couple weeks now I come to think about it so it probably is the change in the weather though worryingly it's not been especially cold or damp yet. Let's hope we're not all going to catch Alehouse's chest infection...........

Hope you sleep better tonight Poppy.

• Afternoon all,

Chick: I'd have loved to have seen those two races image

I am also unrecognisable from the person who posted a decade ago image

• What: Nurse!
    • Why: Old, Fat and unrecognisable from the person who first posted a decade ago
    • Last Hard: Today
    • Last Rest: Yesterday

Have a good one!

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Rocky Cheeky image

What: 1.83 miles
    Why: just doing it
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Lyrics No

Work now