Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Dachs - if you ran cross country barefoot you'd probably have multiple stab wounds in your feet from other people's spikes.

• Interesting comment from Ric (as usual). I'm sure once we all reach work the vast majority of us sit there all day until we go home again. We are largely sedentary people.

I turbo'd at lunch today. Then sat still for 5 hours.
  • I tend to agree increased milage to a point gets improved results as a factor that as you get stronger and legs adapt you will find your pace on those longer miles will naturally increase!

I run just over 60 miles a week on average currently all single session running to increase mileage would mean doubling up potentially and I must say I can't understand bumping up miles by doing a second run of say 3 miles a day to me they are just vanity miles to make weekly mileage bigger and I cannot understand the benefit IMO but then I've never trained for a marathon!
  • IronCat5 wrote (see)
    Interesting comment from Ric (as usual). I'm sure once we all reach work the vast majority of us sit there all day until we go home again. We are largely sedentary people.

So basically what you are saying is you sat down all day

• Andrew G wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)
    Interesting comment from Ric (as usual). I'm sure once we all reach work the vast majority of us sit there all day until we go home again. We are largely sedentary people.

So basically what you are saying is you sat down all day

Aye.

• Last night I ran home from work, not a great deal of wind and flat 7:25 @ 148bpm. This morning I ran back the same route pretty much 7:42 @ 147bpm, both circa 75% of max but 17 seconds a mile difference.

I do feel like I have a slight cold but I felt like that yesterday. Maybe I just can't run in the morning.

Currently I am struggling to stay awake and I had to give up trying to use a long word in this sentence after failing to type it correctly four times.

• AG - the last 12 weeks I have ran to c75 % HR - I have seen a bigger variance than 17s per mile! The run you did was solid though

Sometimes I am running sub 7 for 16 miles then going 7:20s for a 4miler.. It's just the body telling you it's tired or whatever. Don't pay much attention to the times but the effort. I haven't looked at pace per mile on my Garmin for 3months, just the HR number

I can vouch for running at 70-80% max HR on steady / easy runs (if you scout my Strava you can see) lower scale if you feel like shit or going long, higher end if your doing a shorter run and feel ok. But once you start running above that effort it's not going to be all aerobic steady state running

PS - I am always slower early morning. Blood flow to muscles is poor as you've been asleep and led down and muscle fibres aren't as loose as mid afternoon. That's just a fact
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Interesting stuff, Scott.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    robT wrote (see)
    I tend to agree increased milage to a point gets improved results as a factor that as you get stronger and legs adapt you will find your pace on those longer miles will naturally increase!
    I run just over 60 miles a week on average currently all single session running to increase mileage would mean doubling up potentially and I must say I can't understand bumping up miles by doing a second run of say 3 miles a day to me they are just vanity miles to make weekly mileage bigger and I cannot understand the benefit IMO but then I've never trained for a marathon!

Vanity!

It's a simple theory, shorter runs give you the same mileage without taxing your body as much.

• Yeah but it's pointless going out on a 3 miler to make the total 70 for the week instead of 67.

Not that i'm immune to running for an extra 10 mins at the end of a long run to get a weekly total up to 60 or 70! Silly, but many of us do it.

Another thing - what's up with PO10? (EDIT...PO10 is OK now...wouldn't work last 2 days.)

• They may give you the same mileage but the truth is people only do so they get higher mileage I agree with Simon tag 10-20 mins onto your recovery runs if you want higher mileage otherwise I still believe it's only vanity to say you did an extra 15-21 miles in the week which IMO has no benefit what so ever in achieving you're goals!
  • I think this brings us back to the earlier discussion on when and how people fit running into their normal lives. Some people may have more opportunities to do two short runs than one longer one. But also I'm not quite sure what the disagreement is anyway; it seems obvious to me that (a) systematically building in double days as part of a progressive plan to improve overall endurance through high mileage, but without over-stressing the body is different to (b) just squeezing in an extra ad hoc run to hit a round number of miles at the end of the week. People doing (a) are not that likely to be advocating (b).

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

...Unless the (a) people also have running OCD (quite likely) and manage to get up to 97 miles for the week. I'm quite proud of my two consecutive 97 mile weeks prior to Berlin. Not quite sure how I controlled myself!

• I'm so lucky that I can do the running /commuting combo, getting the extra 20/25 miles in - which is basically weight loss for me tbh. 

One massive thing the government could do to help with the obesity crisis would be to demand each workplace has a number of showers. Lost count of the amount of folk who have said they would be active on the way to work if they had access to a shower

• PhilPub wrote (see)

...Unless the (a) people also have running OCD (quite likely) and manage to get up to 97 miles for the week. I'm quite proud of my two consecutive 97 mile weeks prior to Berlin. Not quite sure how I controlled myself!

by being very very very very tired ? image

• PhilPub wrote (see)

Ah yes, I had forgotten about people in category (c). I can quite happily put in a 57.64-mile week. image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

My longer mileages used to be achieved by an early morning effort of barely 2 miles.

Not sure how it worked but the short run seemed to serve as a recovery/look see effort, where usually I finished at speed.

Then cycled to work and back, seven miles each way, and then out for a second run of around 8 miles.

Once a day training seemed to be too much of a shock to the system, so I found it was either two a day or every other day.

With more time these days I can do a long run each day so long as it's slow.

All rendered irrelevant to me right now. 

Thinking I was ok for a run after much biking; the knee showing almost no signs of anything, I went out for that mere two miles.

Result was that at 0.9 mls I  became aware of the knee. At one mile I stopped and found when I tried to run again, that the knee was stuffed.

Limp jogged home.

This should be interesting. The last time I had a real knee problem was after a dodgy parachute landing in 1986.

Still, not as dodgy as one R. Branson. He was on the Drop Zone at the time and on one jump managed to 'cut away' an unopened main chute.

Emergency chutes are handy at times.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oops!

PhilPub wrote (see)

There's no way I could have done that - not just because of my OCD, but I'd never have got anywhere near 97 miles in the first place image

Doubles , even short ones, have a number of benefits. In addition to the ones mentioned, they also have keep your metabolism higher for a  longer period than an equivalent single run, which is very handy for those of us who put weight on easily.

I saw a local running "face" (Fabian D) on my way home tonight, just after I crossed a field full of rather tetchy, very large cattle.  He didn't see them at first, as he was going up a convex hill and they were at the top. When he did, he obviously took one look at the beasts and decided discretion was the better part of valour as I saw him backtracking and scooting past me on the road a few minutes later as I went on through a wood!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    happy weekend all!
  • Stevie G wrote (see)
    happy weekend all!

I'm trying a cyclocross race tomorrow. A new form of torture.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Bugger that. I don't even enjoy cleaning spikes after cross country, never mind a whole bike.

Er.. enjoy!  image

• PhilPub wrote (see)

Bugger that. I don't even enjoy cleaning spikes after cross country, never mind a whole bike.

Er.. enjoy!  image

I don't think I've ever cleaned my XC spikes image

• XC Spikes, more basic than should you clean them, do you need them?

• I think you need them if you like not falling on your arse in mud.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Depends on the course!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    God luck iron. Maybe try the 3 peaks cyclocross next year? image
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cyclocross is a bit like an off-road duathlon where you transition every few hundred metres image. Good luck!

literatin wrote (see)

I think you need them if you like not falling on your arse in mud.

Talking of which - today's race is 50/50 on and off-road. There is one long, steep off-road downhill near the start, but last time it was dry and road shoes were fine. Overnight drizzle last night though, so now I'm not so sure!!

• 10 mile race for me in a few hours at Tadley. Tactical one coming up: can't improve by beating anyone and can only go down by getting beaten, so a nice head to head for a change.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Racing flats were (mostly) fine. I'm definitely getting slower though! 1:13 down on last time I did this race, to give 40:29 today. Tough little race and the splits tell the story of the on/off road hilly route and tired legs in the end - 5:45, 5:46, 7:21, 7:11, 6;26, 6:15. Disappointingly I lost two places close to the line as well - out-climbed on the last hill and out-sprinted to the line. Still, there were a few local guys I know around, so it was a sociable morning out, and I enjoyed telling the winner, Fabe Downs, on the start line that I had spotted him chickening out of heading through the cows on Friday. It was the massive bull that made him turn back in the end image

Might take a few days off now to see if that helps...

• 10 miles in 66:04 gun to line so I'll claim that as 66 dead line to line and average pace of 6:35. WAVA just over 76% and a predicted marathon of low 3:0x so numbers all in the right area.

Nice little run out: didn't do any real taper and did a hardish midweek run so expected the legs to feel a but heavy in the second half and they did, but by then I was where I wanted to be time-wise and at 7 miles I knew 3 last miles at 6:40 would be needed and duly delivered. Last Sunday I did just under 9 miles at 6:46 pace so to go further and a step faster is encouraging.

A couple of weeks with trips to the US mean an ease off but I have 124 miles so far in October and 2 weeks to go and still want to hit my first 200 month for a while so it won't be too much easing off.