Options

Chelmsford Marathon 2015

2»

Comments

• Options

The 70 plus marshals out in the country were all Springfield Striders. Runners know what they would like to hear when they are running a marathon. Glad we were able to help.

• Options
    Cheers Springfield! Hope to see some of you at the Chelmsford triathlon next July.
  • Options

Miles better than last year (actually a quarter of a mile shorter than last year as well, which helped). Apart from the twisty bit through town to start (why?) a lovely route. Very fortunate weather conditions for the time of year (although that is pure luck and not something you can credit the organisers with).

If they continue on this basis I'd recommend this race for next year.

• Options

It was always going to be a lot better than last year. The organisers rushed itself to have a marathon in 2014 which meant creating a route where there were always going to be problems.

The good thing is the organisers listen, learned and took advice. The good thing is they now have a route (thanks to Springfield Striders) which delivers. You have to accept the first few miles will be boring. But after that you onto really lovely country roads through beautiful scenery, villages and farms. The marshals which just as last year were the heroes. You need that support especially around the country roads. I think the final mile and finish did a treat.

All in all I think this marathon will continue. I cannot see it getting any bigger. But at least the Chelmsford Marathon can become a regular fixture on the marathon calendar.

• Options

The main reason for the first 3 miles was to thin out the runners before a few pinch points in the park. It could have been done by using the subway under Parkway but the council wouldn't have it. Thanks for all the comments re the marshals.

• Options

nothing wrong with the first few twisty miles around the town, all good fun! 

• Options

Agree with everything Dank-art said. Thanks very much to all the very encouraging marshals springfield strider.

• Options

Have to agree with springfield strider about the first 3 miles. Chelmsford is not the easiest to start a race. The parks wouldn't cope with so many. Even 400 doing parkrun at 9am can be a nightmare.

The numbers completing this year are lower. I know the Wix 5 was on nearby and I think another marathon. Hopefully next year will improve. Not sure whether this will work but maybe the organisers should move this to February/March as a build-up to a spring marathon. Or change it to a 20 miler. I think they stand more to gain rather than this time of the year.