Wednesday 21st October

Morning What: bike intervals 8 mins hard 4 mins off X 6 + bum and core strength Why: 70.3 Lyrics : 'you're going to hear me roar' - cheesy but it's on! LMH- program I found online, from the Staffordshire 70.3 by a tri coach. It gives 3 sessions per sport and a brick to arrange in your week. The pool isn't open here for another 2 weeks though. So missing a sport! Flirted with the idea of a coach until I saw the price! Wish I could train run 16 miles! AF- 2 spare rooms at my houseimage Tired today.. Another evening shift tonight. Good day all

Comments

• Morning.

How much is too much Dibs? I paid £50 a month when I was coached. The Don Fink books are good - he's written a HIM one too.

chicksta - how can race weight be 55kg if you're now 54? I'm confused.

You're doing good Pammie.

Any races on the horizon RFJ?

What:           easy miles
    Why:            tapering
    Last hard:     not crying whilst the QoP did her work
    Last rest:      16/10

Lyrics - embarrassed to say I do.........

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

lyrics well yes, one of Cleo's faves

lmh, I feel your pain...

Dibs I read your post as if you were saying it speedy! lol

well me and a friend managed 4.2 miles last night, easy pace and I feel ok, I did feel ever so tired towards the end and do still this morning but the achilles are both good - and I ran in battered old shoes. Convinced the newer ones have caused me probs (so go and buy some b*oody new ones wabo!)

What: some abs and arms work - no run

why: not two days on trot

last hard: last night

last rest monday

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning!

Shoes Wabo! I've been telling you! Good news last night/this morning though on the run/Achilles.

Dibs: what we're yesterday's lyrics? Don't know today's.

What: something at some stage

Why: pouring at present so run can wait.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • In a similar situation with the weather here Alehouse though I'm not sure it's going to get any better image

Ditch the shoes Wabo! Good news that the run didn't aggravate your achilles though.

Forgot to say - hope the cold is short lived emzap.

• Hey,

Yea sorry. My phone doesn't do spaces!

LMH- they want $150 plus here... I also want a felt TT bike.

Lyrics from yesterday was "scars" by James bay.
  • Morning

I echo LMH weather report not a nice day and can not see it clearing so dark and grey and WET!

Wabo: NEW SHOES please and well done on runningimage

What: A short run

Why: see weather report and new Garmin may arrive todayimage

Last hard: Weather especially as I got up early!

Lyrics: No and no to yesterday as well and by the sound of it good job I don't know themimage

What a day dark and depressing never mind it can only get better....hopefully

Have a good dayimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Morning. image

What: 5 miles, easy pace.
    Why: Soothsayer said so... Or I just felt like 5. image
    Last Hard: 27/9.
    Last Rest: Friday.
    Lyrics: Nope, as per usual.

Enjoy. image

Have a good day. image
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning all
    I can report that it was dark and wet round my way this morning, not much better in London either
    Belated hello to Kentish, dumb question are you from Kent?
    Paying for coaching - don't clubs provide it for free? (aside from membership costs)
    Rocky - Surely running is a good substitue for the happy pills?
    Wabo - sorry to sound like an echo , but new shoes (shoes) (shoes) (shoes)...
    LmH - glad to see you came thru the long run (relatively) unscathed
    Race wise umming about a pre Christmas marathon (Portsmouth) but talking to a few mates about next year's adventures, trail marathons, maybe the Brecon ultra again, so that will inform this year's races. Oh and naturally all the cross country stuff!

What - easy run, probably tonight as manic at work today
    Why - legs mangled. 6x900m on grass including a hill on each loop, with 200m recovery. Really pleased, all similar pace, last two a bit quicker. Started off behind quite a few club mates but overhauled all but the speedy ones by the end. Consistency clearly the key. Couple of miles either side to warm up/cool down.
    last rest - 18 days
    last hard - yesterday
    lyric - yes, but still no wiser with yesterday's...

• But if you do internet coaching it doesn't need to be there Dibs.

Dustin - most tri clubs will have coached sessions but as members will be racing anything from sprint to IM it's usually up to them to make/find/follow an appropriate schedule. I need to find a focus for after VLM next year, can't do The Wall as my friend has chosen that weekend to get married - most inconvenient image

I managed six miles in the dry. Hope your day gets better too Poppy.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

ohh LmH that reminds me... my brother & missus is over this weekend, and we may well plot another log run/walk next year: it's been years since we ran the Pennine Way.
    The Wall was one suggestion but I quite like the sound of Southern Upland or West Highway or Pembroke Coastal Path. Oh and North Downs Way and maybe The Ridgeway in a weekend...They did Coast to Coast a few years ago & Offa's Dyke, both of which also appeal!

• Morning all.

Lyrics: I think so.

What: 5.67 miles easy with a few fartleks thrown in. Out the door a little later today – 5.35am…

Why: Build up a base to target a couple of races next year.

Last hard: Couple of weeks ago.

Wabo  - New shoes – got a new pair of Asics GT2000 3’s a couple of weeks ago. Now imagine my delight when I found a pair of GT2120’s (remember them!) in a cupboard – I think I only wore them once back in the day – will have to give them an outing soon.

Dibs – yesterday's lyrics I did google it to find out, but I suppose that’s cheating…

Thanks for the friendly welcome all.

Me: 48 year old accountant who works from home. Have always done some running on and off to compliment other sport. Did try two HM’s in 2006 and 2007. Last one I was targeting 1.45 or less, crashed and burned – set off far too fast and lots of 6 milers in training (and little else) at quicker than 8mm didn’t convert to a 1.45 (funny that!), finished in 1.51.

Now, older and hopefully wiser, looking to run sensibly and beat that time.

Have a good day and avoid the rain if you can!

• Weather clearing here but Llanberis outlook for Saturday is pretty grim
    What:rest
    Why: on-call and tapering
    Last hard:trying to forget it!
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: no

What races have you signed up for, Kentish?

• AnOH - Folkestone 10m in March, Ashford HM in April (possible) and Folkestone HM in September.

Also looking at park run series in Ashford and Folkestone depending on kids clubs/taxi service duties (I have three who all play sport evenings and weekends).

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon 

What: resting and eating
    Why: tapering
    last hard: breathing though it's getting better
    Lyrics: nope

Wabo glad you got out, no after effects from the achillies I hope
    Dustin those are long runs you're talking about there!

Have a good one all

• OH: Thanks for info on Els hope she enjoys the conference and you have a safe journey down to Llanberis ,weather  unless it changes is not looking good for you.

Garmin has arrived so setting it up ready for tomorrow's runimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Good news re. Garmin, WP image

Dustin: that's a lot of interesting stuff you have planned

Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Morning.

How much is too much Dibs? I paid £50 a month when I was coached. The Don Fink books are good - he's written a HIM one too.

chicksta - how can race weight be 55kg if you're now 54? I'm confused.

Sorry for confusing you ... I thought that my race weight of 55 wasn't too far away from ale's superlight 54 image. I haven't been near the scales since carb loading though. Which means I'm probably closer to 57 these days image
    Having said that 54kg for a male is extraordinary. I reckon the last time Mr. Chick weighed 54k was at eight years old image

What: going home soon to run in daylight
    Why: because I can
    Last hard: don't do hard
    Last rest: 14/10
    Lyrics: yes

• It doesn't take much to confuse me chicksta! Can't stay at race weight all the time - though I know it's hard to let go of once you've got down there. Hope you enjoy the daylight run.

I trust you're doing a few longer runs this time round Kentish image

Must be nice to have people who would enjoy doing things like that with you Dustin.

• My post has vanished!

wasn't worth reading anyway

• Afternoon!

What: a.m. 4 gentle wet ks off road; p.m. 7.11ks with around a third on the road. The latter was through Woodbank, over the bridge to the farm track to Bredbury Hall, and then finishing up New Zealand Road/Turncroft Lane. First 3ks easy, a couple of ks a bit quicker...and a struggle up the hills to finish. I learned that from the bottom of New Zealand Road to the entrance to Woodbank was a shade over 1k, this being towards the end of the Stockport 10 mile, and a nasty finish it is too!

Why: had the opportunity to get wet twice.

Kentish: I'm a great believer in training by minutes, rather than miles, for the long run, gradually building the time on feet, starting, for example, with 60 minutes one week, then 65, 70 and so on, with some consolidation weeks. I would back this long run up with a second of around 66-75%. I couldn't do it at 5:30 a.m. though! The real key thing is consistency: consistently getting out there and making this consistency gradually progressive. Good to see you thinking long term and getting a decent base.

Weight: Chick, 8 stone 7/55kg wasn't my lightest! That is just what I am likely to have been in the photo! Lightest was under 8 stone 2/around 52kg as I had to be below that for a bantamweight weightlifting category! To be honest that was too light, but 55kg wasn't. I find that far too many runners are far too heavy these days and despite all the improvements in science and technology that should have made times faster, by and large at club level they are slower! In a couple of races I ran 54 minutes for 10 miles and was outside the top 100! I would be rather higher up the field these days!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Great session Dustin. Looking forward to getting back to full-on training now.

4 miles this morning before checking out.  Legs feeling fine. I have the national XC relays on Saturday but will only do them if I can get a space in the F team or similar - definitely not racing hard!  Flight not until later tonight, Canada time, so a long wait ahead then a long flight, arriving tomorrow morning, UK time.  

Have promised my wife that I will try to get my various injuries sorted in 2016 then go for more international marathons in 2017.  Tempted by Berlin for sure.

Kentish, nice to see someone joining us! 

Lyrics, yes!! 

• Sounds like you might be surrupticiously training for Stockport 10, Alehouse! image

That is the part I don't envy Don - bad enough being cooped up on short haul flight or drive back to Orkney after a race!

• Stockport 10? Don't think so OH! Will try to give you and OL a shout...Probably near the top of nz!'
  • Evening all, and a hello to Kentish.

I haven't been posting, because I've had nothing to post. Really concentrating on the down time and recovery, also fat loading. This carb loading is a load of nonsense invented by modern day Homo Sapiens. When I was a young Neanderthal it was all about fat loading, especially with raw meat. After all, you never knew what the next meal was. We ran just to avoid the next meal being us. There's a saying in Africa.....etc

So a gentle trot round the block aka hamster wheel, aka rat run. I joked to one of my club mates that I'd done this route a thousand times. That's got to be a load of codswallop. It's probably twice that.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

What: 2.53 miles in the dark
    Why: routine
    Last hard: running in the dark
    Lyrics Nope

• Is that day 21, Pammie? Nice consistency!

Blisters:  we wanted to know about flying and fancy dress!

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Alehouse yep Day 21 and 42 miles in total

42 image

• Alehouse?

You mean like this...

/members/images/26252/Gallery/SV4.jpg

• The old girl must be at least 60 years of age, and she's the Chief Pilot. The plane is 70, and some parts are a bit delicate. Taxying a tailwheel is a bit of a challenge, but I've got 100 hours+ on mine. This one is different, it's proper. You really can't see forwards. Once airborne the attitude is also a bit nose up. Handling is a bit of a surprise. I was expecting to have to work the controls and be vigilant of the rudder balance. Nope. She's rock steady. It's a shock to the system.

Get out to the appropriate area. Nose down and get 100mph. Pull 3g and keep pulling. Keep the wings level. The ground vanishes. I ease the stick and get told off as the engine coughs. Keep pulling. The horizon appears, but it's green side up. I'm a bit nervous not to over-speed on the exit or exceed the g-limit. As we enter the vertical it's important to keep the pull going, and past the horizontal check the speed and keep pulling until we regain starting altitude.

When I think back over it, the importance of pulling positive 1g when inverted prevents two things. Firstly the oil needs to be in the bottom of the engine. Secondly the pilot needs to be in the plane. It's an open cockpit.

• Sounds fun Blisters! image

• Sounds far too exciting Blisters!